~Fan-Submission Service Announcement~
posted03/03/2007 05:01 PM (UTC)by
Sindra
About Me
Ok. I know I'm not staff...and if I'm taking a liberty that I shouldn't, then I understand if this is eventually locked. I just feel this needs to be said.

Recently, there's abeen an abnormal influx of "Bumped Threads" in the fan-submission forum. These are threads that have been revived after many months or, in most of the cases, years of inactivity. Most of the people doing the bumping are newer members who, for whatever reason, either don't bother reading the forums FAQ, or simply want to try and garner some sense of "fitting in" by flooding the forum topics with short comments.

Now, I know I've seen a bunch of "Well it's ok to bump old threads in fan-submission!" For those people, let me quote the actual rule itself:

"Do not 'bump' threads in which the most recent reply is more than three months old or the thread is not found on the first two pages of that specific forum; whichever may apply in that forum's case. Special conditions may apply; submitted fan submission threads may be replied to despite age, so long as the reply is of substance. Users who bump threads will be warned and the topic locked; repeated instances of this can result in skull points and bans."

So basically, I issue some friendly advice to address this current predicament -

* If you're going to dredge up a topic that's been inactive for a prolonged period of time, make your post at least somewhat worthwhile. None of this one-liner "Oh that's soo kewl! I like it!" stuff. Offer up why you like it and maybe some critisism.
* Don't go searching through the archives looking for old submissions to post to, just to "get your name out" or because you think it'll garner dragon points. That's just, and forgive my pun, "Noob-ish".

So, do the staff and your fellow posters a favor, and think before you bump.

....for some reason, that sounded a bit dirty, but you get my drift. o.O
satinsoven
About Me

Why do dyslexics hate Christmas? Because that's when Satan comes.

02/26/2007 10:03 PM (UTC)
Sindra Wrote:
Ok. I know I'm not staff...and if I'm taking a liberty that I shouldn't, then I understand if this is eventually locked. I just feel this needs to be said.

Recently, there's abeen an abnormal influx of "Bumped Threads" in the fan-submission forum. These are threads that have been revived after many months or, in most of the cases, years of inactivity. Most of the people doing the bumping are newer members who, for whatever reason, either don't bother reading the forums FAQ, or simply want to try and garner some sense of "fitting in" by flooding the forum topics with short comments.

Now, I know I've seen a bunch of "Well it's ok to bump old threads in fan-submission!" For those people, let me quote the actual rule itself:

"Do not 'bump' threads in which the most recent reply is more than three months old or the thread is not found on the first two pages of that specific forum; whichever may apply in that forum's case. Special conditions may apply; submitted fan submission threads may be replied to despite age, so long as the reply is of substance. Users who bump threads will be warned and the topic locked; repeated instances of this can result in skull points and bans."

So basically, I issue some friendly advice to address this current predicament -

* If you're going to dredge up a topic that's been inactive for a prolonged period of time, make your post at least somewhat worthwhile. None of this one-liner "Oh that's soo kewl! I like it!" stuff. Offer up why you like it and maybe some critisism.
* Don't go searching through the archives looking for old submissions to post to, just to "get your name out" or because you think it'll garner dragon points. That's just, and forgive my pun, "Noob-ish".

So, do the staff and your fellow posters a favor, and think before you bump.

....for some reason, that sounded a bit dirty, but you get my drift. o.O

I couldn't have said it better myself. In other words- "Don't spam or bump, bitchesfurious"
Aculeus
About Me

02/27/2007 03:05 PM (UTC)
Speaking of fan submission service announcements, I haven't seen any new fan sub posts for almost three weeks. Anybody know why?confused

It just seems like an abnormally long amount of time.
Sindra
About Me
02/27/2007 04:33 PM (UTC)
I tried getting ahold of ACJ to ask if he needed help with the fan forum or something, since it took a rather long period of time for him to upload my last piece with a bunch of others. However, his email listed on the staff page doesn't work.

I considered getting ahold of Darque. O.o

I have experience with moderating. I would be a great mod! Bwhaha *cough* hahaha.
tabmok99
About Me

For the most in-depth, in-detail, Mortal Kombat lore analysis vids, there's only one source:

https://www.youtube.com/tabmok99

02/27/2007 05:52 PM (UTC)
To add to this from a staff member's perspective...

I don't mind if a reply isn't all that detailed ("I like it 10/10" is okay); those replies are okay for a day old post so why not a year old post? The real problem becomes when someone replies to such an old thread and asks something COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT, e.g: OMG, How do you get pictures to show up in your sig? That's the kind of stuff that will get you skulled.
]{0MBAT Wrote:
To add to this from a staff member's perspective...

I don't mind if a reply isn't all that detailed ("I like it 10/10" is okay); those replies are okay for a day old post so why not a year old post? The real problem becomes when someone replies to such an old thread and asks something COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT, e.g: OMG, How do you get pictures to show up in your sig? That's the kind of stuff that will get you skulled.

Yeah I agree, as long as they're saying something about the piece then I don't mind.
It's just when it's things like an animation/fake/drawing that no longer shows up because it was hot linked from another site and its been removed and people bump a four year old topic to say "I can't see it confused"........ etc that's quite annoying.

Otherwise, it's kind of nice for some of the older, better works to have some attention again, there's been a LOT of change for the fan art forum over the years, particularly the general community that posts here, I think it's good to see some interest in these being shown. I always like it when somethin I saw years ago and loved gets some more interest.

HOWEVER

What I think you should be targetting is getting people to write more IN GENERAL. That example you posted is a typical reply in the fan art forum, not just for bumping old threads.
Don't get me wrong, I'm always flattered if somebody wants to comment on my work, but sometimes when you work hard on something only to be treated with "it's great" or "it sucks" can be frustrating.

And sidebar..... HOW many sticky threads do we really need? I remember like a few years back we had a clearout..... maybe it's time for another, lol.
Sindra
About Me
02/28/2007 04:30 PM (UTC)
I guess I just see it as un-needed spamming if an older topic is dredged up from years ago, only to have a one-liner quip be the result. As an artist, I understand the value of having a piece revived for more praise, but I see it as kinda a waste if it's nothing significant.

That's just me, though.
Arctic
About Me
Request Sprites | Userbar Tutorial | Kamidogu |
02/28/2007 10:20 PM (UTC)
Aculeus Wrote:
Speaking of fan submission service announcements, I haven't seen any new fan sub posts for almost three weeks. Anybody know why?confused

I sent one in last week...WTF!?
RUFIX
About Me

http://rufix.deviantart.com/

02/28/2007 10:45 PM (UTC)
Arctic Wrote:
Aculeus Wrote:

I sent one in last week? WTF!?

So did I. It usually pops up within hours or even days, but weeks? What the hell?confused
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
02/28/2007 10:57 PM (UTC)
Sindra Wrote:
I guess I just see it as un-needed spamming if an older topic is dredged up from years ago, only to have a one-liner quip be the result. As an artist, I understand the value of having a piece revived for more praise, but I see it as kinda a waste if it's nothing significant.
That's just me, though.

No, it's not just you, trust me. It bothers me to no end when somebody bumps work and writes some brainless comment like
Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
C00L! grintongueglasseswinkI LIKE ALOT!111!! 5 DPS!
Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)

I remember someone bumped up Aculeus' Meat Teaser drawing with a similar statement and I had to edit it. Seriously, people, put some substance in your posts, not smilies!
Dismal-Spectre
About Me

Save the environment...stop the spamming.

My DevArt Account

03/01/2007 02:04 AM (UTC)
While I totally agree with you on this Sindra, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do to stop the stupid spamming on old topics. There's just no way to monitor it, just like you can't get all imbecile drivers off the freeway.

The most that the mods can probably do is give the offender warnings. Then if that goes unheaded, they should ban those folks and close their accounts.

In the meantime, don't let it get to you. You have no power to stop these people from spamming. Just let the mods do their job and ignore or remind the offender of the rules.

But I do appreciate the rant. Hopefully those spammers will see this and take heed. I hope your message gets to them. wink
boomboom
About Me

I hate this place.

03/01/2007 03:54 AM (UTC)
Bumpers:

Sharpeye
blazefan

I'm more angry at blazefan since we had a deal and he's not upholding to it by having bad spelling and grammar.

But then, Sharpeye has annoying posts.

Anyone else who bumps?
Sindra
About Me
03/01/2007 04:03 AM (UTC)
VOTE SINDRA FOR FAN SUBMISSION CO-MODERATOR!!

o.O

I promise to keep the submissions rolling! I check this place at least twice a day. (mostly to see if the KAK tourny has started yet -.-) And I promise to give those idiot bumpers a some really mean dirty looks too.
UlcaTron
03/01/2007 04:36 AM (UTC)
boomboom Wrote:
Bumpers:

Sharpeye
blazefan

I'm more angry at blazefan since we had a deal and he's not upholding to it by haveing bad spelling and grammar.

Anyone else who bumps?

BlazeFan wanted to be my buddy earlier
Aculeus
About Me

03/01/2007 01:18 PM (UTC)
RUFIX Wrote:
Arctic Wrote:
Aculeus Wrote:

I sent one in last week? WTF!?

So did I. It usually pops up within hours or even days, but weeks? What the hell?confused

Yeah man, I posted something about three weeks ago.sad

I know stuff's not posted every week, but three weeks seems unusual.
Dragonblade
03/01/2007 01:30 PM (UTC)
boomboom Wrote:
I'm more angry at blazefan since we had a deal and he's not upholding to it by haveing bad spelling and grammar.

why the fuck do you care about spelling and grammar? and you spelled having wrong. don't be a hipicrit
Ninja_Mime
03/01/2007 01:40 PM (UTC)
Dragonblade Wrote:
boomboom Wrote:

why the fuck do you care about spelling and grammar? and you spelled having wrong. don't be a hipicrit

'Hypocrite'.
UltimateRyu
03/01/2007 02:41 PM (UTC)
I'd like to be a fan submission co-moderator as well. I got the experience to back it up.
boomboom
About Me

I hate this place.

03/01/2007 02:56 PM (UTC)
Dragonblade Wrote:
boomboom Wrote:
I'm more angry at blazefan since we had a deal and he's not upholding to it by having bad spelling and grammar.

Spelling mistake with Hypocrite (as Ninja_Mime pointed out) and no capitals at the beginning of sentences, and no period at the end of your second sentence.

I care because me and blazefan made a deal that if I give him his pics that he wanted, he would not use so many smileys, spell better, and have good grammar.

He's doing well on the smiley part, but his grammar and spelling is pretty bad.

@ Darrius4664, lolz, he tried to be your buddy?
Dragonblade
03/01/2007 09:49 PM (UTC)
once again, to me why the fuck do you care about spelling and grammar? you already told me that way back.. i don't give a shit
LiuKangMaster
About Me

Thanks to flameshang for the fanbar! Pr0d for the sig, and Redman for the avy!

03/01/2007 10:02 PM (UTC)
boomboom Wrote:
Bumpers:

Sharpeye
blazefan

Anyone else who bumps?

Oh, uh, balzefan claims the reason he types like that because his grandma's caps is screwed up.
mKomBATouttahell
03/02/2007 03:31 AM (UTC)
LiuKangMaster Wrote:
Oh, uh, balzefan claims the reason he types like that because his grandma's caps is screwed up.

For some reason that sounds like a pathetic exuse to me. However, my Space Bar got a piece of cat food stuck in it(don't ask me why) and I couldn't space out my words. But I edited all the posts in time.
boomboom
About Me

I hate this place.

03/02/2007 03:39 AM (UTC)
LiuKangMaster Wrote:
boomboom Wrote:
Bumpers:

Sharpeye
blazefan

Anyone else who bumps?

Ok, that explains it.

Dragonblade Wrote:
once again, to me why the fuck do you care about spelling and grammar? you already told me that way back.. i don't give a shit

Oh my god... I JUST TOLD YOU IN THE OTHER POST. READ IT.

If you can't read, then I suggest you take Kindergarten - 4th grade again. Then you'll be able to read the post.

If you don't give a shit, then why did you ask the same question... twice?

I don't care about your typing, just blazefan's. But, since he claims that his grandma's keys are screwed up, I'll give him a break now.

Oh, and here are some corrections:
"Once again, to me, why the fuck do you care about spelling and grammar? You already told me that way back... I don't give a shit."

At least you're spelling was ok.
Toxik
About Me
03/02/2007 03:39 AM (UTC)
Hello... did somebody forget about SPs?

Seriously, I think people that bump with "oooh.. that's cool! good job" or "I like that drawing, it looks awesome! 5/5" should be skull. Why? Because it get too repetative. The first or second time they do it, I think is fine. However if they do it a 3rd time. Then they need to be skull. That's my opinion.

boomboom
About Me

I hate this place.

03/03/2007 04:55 AM (UTC)
Toxik Wrote:
Hello... did somebody forget about SPs?

Seriously, I think people that bump with "oooh.. that's cool! good job" or "I like that drawing, it looks awesome! 5/5" should be skull. Why? Because it get too repetative. The first or second time they do it, I think is fine. However if they do it a 3rd time. Then they need to be skull. That's my opinion.

So Skull Sharpeye and blazefan.

They've done it more than twice.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.