jabbies
06/22/2008 02:03 AM (UTC)
massdeath Wrote:
Okay, I'm going to take another stab at this character list. We now know that there will be in the "Mid twenties" of characters thus 24 or 26. I think we can safely assume an even number from both sides. I'm also going to try to take into account the characters confirmed and "suggested" in the leaked info. Here goes:

Mortal Kombat:
1) Sub-Zero (C)
2) Scorpion (C)
3) Sonya (C)
4) Jax
5) Raiden
6) Kabal
7) Reptile
8) Johnny Cage
9) Mileena
10 Kitana
11) Goro
12) Shang Tsung
13) Shao Kahn

DC Universe:*
1) Batman (C)
2) Superman (C)
3) Flash
4) Wonder Woman
5) Green Lantern
6) Black Canary
7) Power Girl
8) Hawkman
9) Robin
10) Joker
11) Lex Luthor
12) Doomsday
13) Darkseid

*This all depends if the "leaked information" is correct. It still seems like WAY too many heroes on the DC side to me.

Flash has been confirmed smile
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
06/22/2008 09:25 PM (UTC)
queve Wrote:
To Mick-Lucifer:

Typically Poison Ivy is one of the most physically removed from her combative situations as a recurring Batman villain. Her role is as seductress, manipulator, and activist, content tolet bewitched pawns do her fighting for her, if not the animated plantlife she caretakes.

Great post! Thanks for sharing your views Mick.

Now, ehem: she is a badass. I guess that despite the different opinions, very few can disagree that her exotic uniqueness makes her worthy of a spot.

... Because a small handful of people said she's perfect without actually having any kind of grounded opinion, or reference? I'd like to think there's a pretty hefty divide between very few people agreeing, and very few people being satisfied to use a lot of words to describe little more than awful (movie) hair and a leaf bikini...

I mean, if we're changing up the nature of a character for the sake of an outfit, let's throw some textures on Jade and dye her hair. Very few can disagree it's the way to go! Or, y'know... Can...

queve Wrote:
Sure, you could cram some basic martial arts into a Poison Ivy build, but with the pantheon of characters available to be sourced, she has to sit particularly low on the priority list.

That’s probably true, which is very sad imo. Like said before, she has a lot more to offer then another super sized muscle figure that owns the power of super-duper-mega strength.

Particularly as plant summoning specials, though potentially visually interesting, go against the established conceits of how moves are generated and interact with environments.

Hmmmm, I don’t see much of a problem in here unless we are talking about a game that will present a rather mediocre use of its engine potential. You are probably think of way too complicated special moves. She can easily adjust to the rest of the cast with stunning visuals.

As already described, it's really not an MK conceit to have a fighter specifically removed from their fight. The closest comparisons that come to mind, at least in terms of specials that aren't generated by the character, would be Shinnok/Scorpion's hell hand, which has it's own logics thanks to a portal in the ground.

Spontaneously manifesting plantlife in even the most barren of landscapes, and being physically removed from a fight, are much more in keeping with some of Capcom's ideals. It just isn't remotely suggestive of anything logically expected of MK. Not inherently a bad thing, but in this case, as already thoroughly described, a footnote of more pressing inadequacies.

queve Wrote:
As a Konquest mini-boss controlling the living forest, sure!

LOL! That actually made me laugh, and now that you mention it, it would be awesome to see her interaction with the Living Forest...perhaps she could even do more to add a “dark beauty” to it.

If they could build a long and involving Konquest plot, I could see Poison Ivy getting dragged along by more prominent and relevant villains re: the Society. Would be a fun mini-boss!

queve Wrote:
Again, a shame. While Hawkman does offer a small degree of novelty...Powergirl (despite me really liking her) is just, in a very rudimentary way of speaking, Superman with boobs...big boobs.

Hard to disagree. I think the inclusion of a character like Powergirl is going to really hinge on the MK team's ability to explore facets of each power and use the multiple characters as an opportunity to develop distinct abilities derived from said powers.

Hawkman would be fun just because it's Hawkman, but with the changes implemented, the burning question remains: To mace, or not to mace?
Guys like Hawkman come ready-made with MK-style weapons at the ready. If you want to talk about perfect picks, I'd like to think there's a niche argument there!

queve Wrote:
As one of a kind, she's arguably trumped by more overt vegetation vanguards like Swamp Thing, or at a real stretch, Floronic Man. Certainly Swamp Thing presents the most compelling argument for a comparable replacement who, is potentially far more visually intriguing, more associated with the dark corners of the DCU (ala MK), and is a bruiser to boot.

Now, I sincerely disagree. I really like the Swamp Thing, but neither him or Floronic dude have enough in their hands to offer something that Poison Ivy couldn’t offer, and even better. Between the three, she is the most recognizable.

Floronic Man doesn't get a look in, but I think Swamp Thing is such a general concept, most people would recognise him long before the forgettable Uma Thurman character. I would have to imagine a lot of people who could name Swamp Thing aren't even aware he's a comic character, let alone a DC hero.

Swamp Thing just taps into very recognisable monster culture...

queve Wrote:
There's certainly very little in her print-history to suggest any kind of relevance in a situation like Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. I honestly don't think she'd have even crossed my mind had I not been reading the name here

How so? How does she have less “relevance” then the likes of Supergirl, or say Kabal, or even Flash? In what sense of the word are you trying to use “relevance”, because as far as Im concerned, specially regarding this fighting project, her relevance would be very well greeted.

Is that a serious question? Incarnations of Supergirl and Flash have had some of their career defining moments emerge in interdimensional struggles!

Both are at the forefront of the Justice League and not at all unexpected to respond to cosmic catastrophe such as the merging-invasion of MK characters. Heck, both make a regular habit of travelling through time and space and are fully equipped to combat any emerging threats...

Kabal isn't without his logics -- he's a martial artist intrinsicly connected to this world by his associations -- but I certainly wouldn't champion his cause over other characters.
He certainly has more connection and ability to compete with events likely to be described in MKvsDC.

queve Wrote:
(versus 100+ other characters).

As a side note, I’ve been following those awesome posts! HUGE amazing stuff has been written there, and though I think I disagreed with a few, I overall enjoy reading all of that well thought and sometimes funny stuff. Question: Is it your work? Did you have any involvement with it? For some reason I think you do.

Yeah, that's me.

queve Wrote:
If this was a Capcom game, Batman game, or action/adventure title, maybe! But with only a dozen-or-so slots available, very little of this argument is even remotely compelling.

If you are saying that because there’s more “iconic” characters, then I can see your point. Aside from that, she is just as capable (and even more) and worthy as “WonderWoman”, just to give an example.

I don't think there's a single character that's been discussed that doesn't beat your average Poison Ivy in a heartbeat. Iconic has somehow become the overblown buzzword by which everything's being defined.

Sure, it's a factor, and Poison Ivy is trumped by a long list of more recognisable and marketable characters. She's even challenged by a similar character in Swamp Thing, who, despite not being an A-lister probably has a cult fanbase that would rival any slash-fiction/bat villain fanclubs I'm assuming exist. (Swamp Thing also has the critical acclaim of Alan Moore on him)

Poison Ivy is nowhere near as capable a fighter as the Amazon princess, Wonder Woman. It just isn't a debate...

queve Wrote:
LOL, youah, you should read them! But honestly, there still hasn’t been a solid point, strong enough, for me to consider her involvement obsolete in this entire thread, not one bit

Remind me again... What's the reason for her being there?...
I think the difference between both of us saying this is that there are pretty intrinsic reasons well described not to include the character. There don't seem to be a lot for inclusion, aside from tweaking Jade's wardrobe and defying MK logics... Most of the pro-argument seems to be a lot of uninformed head nodding...

queve Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:So far the argument for being perfect seems to boil down to having a pretty green frock...

Capcom-styled specials, non-existant fighting skills, irrelevance in the scope of the event, and total mortal vulnerability. Is this a perfect character for an MK/DC crossover, or a fetish?...

Woah, you are underestimating her man!

I seriously need to get my hands on those comics.

And again, “irrelevance in the scope of the event” is a pretty ironic choice of words...considering the actual events, don’t you think?

Comics are the last thing that's going to help your argument...
How is Poison Ivy's irrelevance in the cosmic landscape ironic? She's a small scope environmentally themed villain who occasionally adds manipulative abilities to a much larger stable of more important and proactive characters.

The heroes and villains we've seen (and will probably continue to see) all have a stake and implied relevance to an interdimensional catastrophe. Even Batman, who consistently plays above his weight, just in case anyone unclear about the Justice League strategist's relevance...

Poison Ivy, despite her super "potential," remains a street level presence butting heads with Batman in Gotham because she (usually) cannot readily compete with bigger threats. Any environmental bargains used to lure her aid to the fight are quickly trumped by the relative obscurity of the character making her incredibly unlikely on the checklist of characters to be tapped -- and the fact that her powers have very little stock in this kind of battle.

Irrelevance; confirmed.
queve
06/22/2008 10:58 PM (UTC)
Hey Mick, I didnt realize youhad replied here. I'll just write back to you on the re-opened thread of Poison Ivy. smile
ErmacMk5
06/23/2008 02:56 AM (UTC)
MK:

01. Scorpion
02. Sub-Zero
03. Sonya Blade
04. Liu Kang
05. Raiden
06. Reptile
07. Jax
08. Johnny Cage
09. Shang Tsung
10. Kitana
11. Kung Lao
12. Quan Chi
13. Kano
14. Goro (Sub-Boss)
15. Shao Kahn (Boss)

DC:

01. Superman
02. Batman
03. The Flash
04. Wonderwoman
05. Green Lantern
06. Aquaman
07. Martian Manhunter
08. Lex Luthor (in Powersuit)
09. Rhas Al Ghul
10. Catwoman
11. Sinestro
12. Lobo
13. Solomon Grundy
14. Doomsday (Sub-Boss) ...Though I'd prefer Kalibak
15. Darkseid (Boss)
EdenianNinja
06/23/2008 07:59 PM (UTC)
Well..assuming that there will be around 24 characters...I think these 12 will most likely make it.

1) Scorpion: Confirmed
2) Sub Zero: Confirmed
3) Sonya Blade: Confirmed

4) Raiden: Every series has their "God like" character or person that they turn to for advice. Raiden will be that guy

5) Liu Kang: The Main Hero/Good Guy.

6) Shang Tsung: An essential villain...not the BIG one, but a very important one

7) Jax: Kind of like the hero's ally

8) Reptile: Just plain popular

9) Mileena: Every series has one main female villain.

10) Kitana: She's like the victim, the one everyone wants to help. A Hero

11) Shao Kahn: The BIG baddy

12) Baraka: One of Mortal Kombat's monsters

Some other HIGH possibilities include Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Goro, Quan Chi and Kano, but I'm sure those 12 are in for sure.
**KingBaraka**
06/23/2008 08:58 PM (UTC)
I hope Baraka makes it but then again I cant see him in a rated T game.
dewey79
06/24/2008 09:29 AM (UTC)
Hope Baraka makes it too. I would be highly dissappointed if he didn't.

Vasculio
06/25/2008 12:20 AM (UTC)
I would say Reptile is iconic enough, to be in the game. And if so... hope he's in his Shaolin Monks form again.
**KingBaraka**
06/25/2008 05:10 PM (UTC)
I hope reptile makes it too.tongue
dewey79
06/27/2008 11:56 AM (UTC)
Baraka has to, he is the most violent MK villan. If he does not, I will be toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed!!!
phenom-forever
About Me

WoW player Name:grubgrub realm:dragonmaw HORDE

06/28/2008 11:48 AM (UTC)
dewey79 Wrote:
Baraka has to, he is the most violent MK villan. If he does not, I will be toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed!!!

47 o's

multiply that by 97.53512

and you have how disappointed i will be if reptile doesn't make it
ErmacMk5
06/30/2008 06:49 AM (UTC)
I really don't see Baraka making it; he was never an integral part of the story, and he only appeared in a few games. To me Baraka, along with Smoke, Jade, and Kintaro, are the least likely characters from the first two games to make MK vs. DC.
07/01/2008 06:11 PM (UTC)
phenom-forever Wrote:
dewey79 Wrote:

47 o's

Now take that and add 768,393,812, and multiply that by 2.

That's how disappointed I'll be if Wonder Woman and Raiden don't make it.
ErmacMk5
07/03/2008 05:31 PM (UTC)
Riyakou Wrote:
phenom-forever Wrote:
dewey79 Wrote:

47 o's

Now take that and add 768,393,812, and multiply that by 2.

That's how disappointed I'll be if Wonder Woman and Raiden don't make it.

You will get your wish.

But the people hoping for Baraka probably won't.
Keith
07/03/2008 11:41 PM (UTC)
Oh wow! Sonya got confirmed! Sonya! Isn't that great? It's Sonya! The leading lady of Mortal Kombat is back! But then, we all knew she would be. wink
scorpionandsmoke
07/05/2008 11:01 PM (UTC)
well boon did say 10 or 12 per side so here it is

mk
1.raiden
2.scorpion
3.subzero
4.shang tsung
5.shoa kahn
6.sonya blade
7.goro
8.rain-in is mk3 costume
9.smoke-in human
10.kitana
11.mileena
12.night wolf

dc
1.batman
2.superman
3.catwoman
4.doomsday
5.darkseid
6.flash
7.martian man hunter
8.bizarro
9.joker
10.wonder woman
11.zatanna
12.green arrow
Vash_15
About Me
07/06/2008 02:48 AM (UTC)
Someone on midway posted this:

He's dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Death_of_Manhunter.jpg

I know what some of you are thinking, that "yeah he's dead, so what? People die in DC all the time and come back, just like Superman".

Yes, this is true, BUT since his death he has not been seen again in the comics. I would think that he would appear again in the comics before he appears in other media. They said characters will remain true to their comic storylines, so if Manhunter died and has not reappeared yet....? Get what I'm saying?

I wouldn't mind Manhunter in at all, I have nothing against him, but I'm just trying to explain it how I see it, and from what I see, his appearance is doubtful.

HOWEVER

If the universes merge he COULD be revived through the netherrealm. No one's really thought of this and I couldn't make a seperate thread. So just saying
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
07/06/2008 09:07 AM (UTC)
I'm still really hoping Captain Marvel & Martian Manhunter make it. I see these characters as Iconic. Ed would be tainted not to see this.
luckylooser38
About Me

Long Live Johnny Cage!!

07/06/2008 03:59 PM (UTC)
I see Baraka over Ermac. Besides that ur list looks really strong. I actually like it. Good picks.
MK176
07/08/2008 07:51 PM (UTC)
EDIT:
After hearing that the character count might be 11, here's my guesses again (including some updates):
MK-
1. Liu Kang: confirmed
2. Scorpion: confirmed
3. Sub-Zero: confirmed
4. Sonya: confirmed
5. Shang Tsung: confirmed
6. Kitana: she's one of the most iconic female characters besides Sonya and with her involvement in the story as well as popularity, she's sure to be in.
7. Raiden: Thunder God, popular, iconic, important in storyline in MK...I think he's pretty much in.
8. Mileena: the villainess of MK and she's also pretty iconic, especially with her appearances due to Deception.
9. Reptile: I totally forgot to put him in last time...he's totally iconic as well and I could see him being in the game possibly.
10. Shao Kahn: the iconic boss of MK so I think he has a good chance of making it as well.
11. Kenshi: Surprise character, one of the most iconic new generation characters imo. I also think he fits in MKvsDC
Omitted Goro as I believe they might have just the MK boss character as opposed to both Kahn and Goro. Things could change though and I see Goro possibly making it if they want a Shokan in the game. And I also omitted the Black Dragon guesses as well as the other two Raiden's heroes just because I think that Reptile might be more iconic than them.
Well yeah, here are my guesses for the possible 11 iconic MK warriors.
Vash_15
About Me
07/09/2008 10:07 PM (UTC)
Ermac and Reptile should make it. BOTH OF THEM
Rpetile: first secret character EVAR in a fighting game, he's pretty damn iconic overall, as well as having one of the most unique stories

Ermac: Must I say it? Everyone knows the legend asnd I'm too lazy to type it out.

Point being:
These guys are iconic from MK1-NOW Not including BOTH of them, just because they're ninjas, w ould be INSANE I know Reptile's pretty much in, but I hope Ermac makes it too. That being said, they don't HAVE to be ninjas! They could redesign Reptile in a Reptilish look and Ermac into a kind of mystic look tweaked from MKD
oracle
About Me

-sig by MINION

07/11/2008 03:52 AM (UTC)
MINION Wrote:
I'm still really hoping Captain Marvel & Martian Manhunter make it. I see these characters as Iconic. Ed would be tainted not to see this.
i think especially with martian manhunter. and with the recent justice leauge cartoons he's become really really visible to casual people too. and he's a founding member of the justice leauge. he really has to be in.
Saniac93
07/13/2008 06:40 PM (UTC)
I think the original cast of the first mortal kombat plus reptile will definatly be in the game, they are the most iconic in the whole game series 'cause they started it all.
MK2US
07/16/2008 06:17 PM (UTC)
MK Characters

Confirmed:

1- Sub-Zero
2- Scorpion
3- Sonya
4- Shang Tsung
5- Liu Kang

Expected:

6- Kung Lao
7- Kitana
8- Mileena
9- Jax
10- Raiden
11- Baraka
12- Johnny Cage
13- Kenshi
Vash_15
About Me
07/17/2008 01:19 AM (UTC)
Nightwing, please let him be in. He IS iconic in the DCU, VERY iconic, he was the original Robin, the FIRST comic book sidekick, was leader of the first Teen Titans, became his own hero, and much much more
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.