-| Unofficial Reiko Thread |- Current Discussion: Reikos Performance in MK4
posted06/02/2008 04:34 PM (UTC)by
MK-4-LIFE
About Me
This is the newest thread where you can talk about a Mortal Kombat Character. This thread is here so the community of Mortal Kombat Online can express their opinions on General Reiko. Post away!

The following will be a list of facts about General Reiko.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Current Discussion:

Throughout the course of this thread, I will be updating this section of the starter post. This section of the starter post will basically say a title of the subject of what we are discussing about General Reiko.

The current discussion is what you thought of Reiko's performance in MK4. Was it worth replacing Noob Saibot?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Random Facts:

Debut: Mortal Kombat 4

Reappearances: Mortal Kombat Gold, Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

Home Realm: Outworld

Fighting Style: Ying Yeung

Weapon of Choice: Crude Hammer

Reiko Pictures:

Reiko's Armageddon Render

Reiko's Armageddon Verses Screen

Reiko's Armageddon Sketches

Reiko Armageddon Sketch, cut out by ThePredator151

Reiko's MK4 Render

Reiko's MK4 Render #2

Reiko in MK4 Wearing Shao Kahn's Helmet

About Reiko:

Reiko was originally never planned to be in a Mortal Kombat game. Originally, Noob Saibot was to be in Mortal Kombat 4, but Reiko was casted in his stead. This is due to the Mortal Kombat 4 roster already having "too many" ninja characters.

Reiko has served as a general to both Lord Shinnok, overlord of the Netherealm, and Emperor Shao Kahn, emperor of Outworld. He served as Shinnok's general during his war with the gods, but later disappeared (assumed to be in hiding) when Shinnok was banished to the Netherealm, again, in disgrace. He later emerged during the events of Mortal Kombat 4, again, as Shinnok's general.

He is seen in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, but with a completely new appearance. He is seen in Armageddon's konquest mode, in his map room. He, apparently, has a strong hatred towards the powerful sorcerer, Quan Chi. He tries to convince Taven to join Shao Kahn's armies, but Taven refuses, and Reiko engages in battle with him. He is eventually defeated in battle by Taven, and laughs in the irony that his defeat would lead to the destruction of Quan Chi.

Reiko's Signature Moves

Assassin Throwing Stars:
Reiko takes a stack of shurikens and throws them at the opponent. (MK4, MKG, MK:A)

Quick Spin Behind:
Reiko does a quick top-like spin and slides around the opponent to their back in one quick motion. (MK4, MKG)

Vertical Teleport:
Reiko leaps upwards disappearing in the air, then reappears behind the opponent coming up through the ground. This attack was borrowed from Noob Saibot. (MK4, MKG)

Shadow Grab:
While performing the "Vertical Teleport", Reiko grabs and slams the opponent to the ground upon reappearing behind them. Again similar to Noob Saibot's "Teleport Slam". (MK4, MKG, MK:A)

Devastating Flip Kick:
Reiko twists his body in an impossible fashion landing a flip kick without his opposite foot even leaving the ground. Li Mei received this move later in Deadly Alliance and Deception under the name

Charging Pain:
Reiko performs a shoulder ram like Shao Kahn, but with a blue-ish energy representation of Shao Kahn's helmet appearing covering his head. (MK:A)
miggy17
About Me

05/07/2008 05:24 PM (UTC)
hey mk 4 life i never really knew reiko till armagadon but hes 1 of my fav characters now i luv his grab move in MKA
MK-4-LIFE
05/07/2008 08:48 PM (UTC)
miggy17 Wrote:
hey mk 4 life i never really knew reiko till armagadon but hes 1 of my fav characters now i luv his grab move in MKA

Yeah, the move you're thinking of is called the Shadow Grab move. See the starter post for further details on it.

It's a really good move online. It's good especially with people with "Ground Stomp" moves of various descriptions. If you see they're going to ground stomp, all you have to do is perform a Vertical Teleport and you will prevent them from doing it, and take some health off them. It's foolproof.

If you use it too much though, the opponent will recognize this and block. If the opponent is blocking when you teleport, you don't grab him, but stay in the air next to him for a few seconds, just waiting to receive and uppercut or a combo.
skorptile
05/07/2008 08:58 PM (UTC)
Personally i liked that he had a hammer in mka. It fits him.I also thought that he was easily one of the best characters in mka. his specials were great! More on topic i do think he should have had a hammer that more resemled Shao Kahn's wrath hammer since Reiko is his general and all...
But yeah i loved him as a character in mka.I only wished they made him sound cooler when he fights.
MK-4-LIFE
05/07/2008 09:02 PM (UTC)
skorptile Wrote:
Personally i liked that he had a hammer in mka. It fits him.I also thought that he was easily one of the best characters in mka. his specials were great! More on topic i do think he should have had a hammer that more resemled Shao Kahn's wrath hammer since Reiko is his general and all...
But yeah i loved him as a character in mka.I only wished they made him sound cooler when he fights.

Interesting, skorptile. I think he suits a sword, like Fujin's Devastator or Kung Lao's Broadsword. I don't think that he should be a miniature version of Shao Kahn. He needs his own personality. He deserves it.

Also, I agree with you on the game play. His specials are awesome, and his combos are cool and take a lot of damage away.
skorptile
05/08/2008 01:49 AM (UTC)
Come to think of it Reiko would look good with a sword. However i dont think he should have a sword like Kung Lao's.Reiko should have gotten the sword Fujin uses if he were to have one.
MK-4-LIFE
05/08/2008 06:05 AM (UTC)
skorptile Wrote:
Come to think of it Reiko would look good with a sword. However i dont think he should have a sword like Kung Lao's.Reiko should have gotten the sword Fujin uses if he were to have one.

Yeah, I agree. Kung Lao's broadsword seems to be a little to small to be Reiko's weapon. I think that he was originally planned to have the Devastator sword that Fujin now has, and Fujin was originally planned to have a weapon known as the "Wind Staff".

If you look at Reiko's official verses cut-out picture below, that was released before Armageddon, you will see that he has a sword very similar to Fujin's devastator. This was replaced in the game's verses screen of him by his weapon, the Crude Hammer.

I personally think it would have suited him a lot more than just ripping off Shao Kahn's Wrath Hammer.
skorptile
05/08/2008 09:02 PM (UTC)
That is an awesome sword! They should have made it available for a stage weapon in Reikos war room if nothing else.It would have been cooler if they kept it for Reiko however.
MK-4-LIFE
05/09/2008 06:13 AM (UTC)
skorptile Wrote:
That is an awesome sword! They should have made it available for a stage weapon in Reikos war room if nothing else.It would have been cooler if they kept it for Reiko however.

Agreed. A stage weapon for Reiko's Map/War Room would have been cool.
skorptile
05/10/2008 06:59 AM (UTC)
They needed more stage weapons in mka,and better death traps.
More on topic I wish Reiko had throwing knifes for a projectile to compliment his throwing stars.It fits the assasin type thing.
MK-4-LIFE
05/10/2008 07:19 AM (UTC)
skorptile Wrote:
They needed more stage weapons in mka,and better death traps.
More on topic I wish Reiko had throwing knifes for a projectile to compliment his throwing stars.It fits the assasin type thing.

I would have loved for him to have throwing knives, like Sareena's, but I really want him to have his own character, and to stop ripping off other characters.

However, I think they should have made his throwing stars move more like Noob Saibot's.
QueenSindel(TheBitch)
05/10/2008 07:54 PM (UTC)
I thought Reiko was an alright character in MK4.

I don't like his new design in MKA. It's too messy-looking. And I don't think Ying Yeung is a good fit for him. I would have liked Pi Gua or Yue Chuan for him instead.

As for his story, it's okay. His obsession with Kahn has never gone anywhere though.

Overall, he's alright.
skorptile
05/10/2008 08:35 PM (UTC)
Lol I thouht Noob's throwing star move should have been more like Reiko's.
I like his other specials though as well. His grab is good too. It's funny how some of his moves resemble Noob Saibot's...
MK-4-LIFE
05/11/2008 12:16 AM (UTC)
QueenSindel(TheBitch) Wrote:
I thought Reiko was an alright character in MK4.

I don't like his new design in MKA. It's too messy-looking. And I don't think Ying Yeung is a good fit for him. I would have liked Pi Gua or Yue Chuan for him instead.

As for his story, it's okay. His obsession with Kahn has never gone anywhere though.

Overall, he's alright.

I never bothered to play Mortal Kombat 4 after all the bad reviews and shit it got. No-one really liked it, so I thought it would be pointless of me to play it. However, I have seen YouTube videos of Reiko fighting in MK4, so I know what he can do. He was a pretty good character, but I did not like his outfit.

Unlike you, I love his new design in Armageddon. It was one of the best designs in the game, IMO. I don't completely understand what you mean by "messy-looking" though. But it is not "messy", IMO. I don't see how you could class it as "messy" anyway.

For fighting styles, I agree with you. His Yin Yeung was horrible to use. I usually just used the Crude Hammer weapon style instead, especially online, and I still do to this date.

I quite like his story. I needs more clarification though. I want them to fill the gaps of what happened in his storyline. As for his obsession with Kahn, I agree with you. He needs his own persona, he doesn't need to be a miniature Kahn anymore.

skorptile Wrote:
Lol I thouht Noob's throwing star move should have been more like Reiko's.
I like his other specials though as well. His grab is good too. It's funny how some of his moves resemble Noob Saibot's...

It's most probably because he was trained in the Brotherhood of the Shadow, like Noob Saibot. So he closely resembles him in his fighting styles.
legend_armlet
05/20/2008 04:09 PM (UTC)
I never liked him and will never like him.
He sucks all the way: his endings are ridiculous. He's just good to put his ass on a throne + several of his moves are from other characters.

tonshaad1230
About Me

http://gametalk.netforums.us Join the greatest website ever Obama Or Fatality!

05/20/2008 10:22 PM (UTC)
First of all i would like to say nice thread mk4life!And second is,Reiko is a mysterious man who hasn`t really found his calling to be a emperor..... yet of Outworld.I would saw,that if he was a general of shao kahn`s army why try to be like him?I mean you were one step closer of being mabye his arch sorceror...or maybe even co-emperor of outworld.This is really confusing because reiko was a scratched up character until mayber eb boon adding in some detailling to him and he became a loved character by mk industries.I don`t really like his mortal kombat 4-mortal kombat gold moves.The only move i really liked from reiko was his shuriken toss.They should`ve had add in a shuriken grab and then shuriken toss.
skorptile
05/21/2008 01:24 AM (UTC)
He only had 2 endings. In MK4/Gold and Armageddon. MK4 wasen't as bad but didn't explain anything. All the Armagedon endings were shit and so his was hardly differnet in apperance. His combos and specials in MKA were powerful and great to start an air kombat combo or finish a juggle. If you play him and use the combos and specials right he is easily one of the best characters and in no way sucks.
MK-4-LIFE
05/23/2008 09:21 AM (UTC)
I have never played MK4, so I don't know what he's like in it. Any good?
Nightcrow
05/23/2008 02:02 PM (UTC)
Hey MK_4_LIFE, you have got a wonderfull little thread here wink. I'm serious, i really like it.

Well, i never had such a great degree about Reiko, overall, and therefore i would like to ask a pro:

Reiko's a bit confusing, isn't he? I mean, for all i know, he has served two masters at the same time, i mean, during MK4, he was a member of the Brotherhood of Shadow, wich helped Shinnok in his war against the Elder Gods, but after it, Reiko started to work for Shao Kahn, right?

So, i think that before MK4, Reiko had served Shao Kahn. This is seen in Mortal Kombat Conquest (i know it is non-canon, but it was released shortly after MK4, and in that game, Reiko's ending has him sitting in Kahn's thrown and using his helmet... although all of this may be just a joke). And in Deception's Conquest mode, Shao Kahn gives you the task of telling Reiko not to wear his helmet again, so... Reiko was indeed serving Kahn after MK4.

This is all very confusing... i'll have to make a little research.
phenom-forever
About Me

WoW player Name:grubgrub realm:dragonmaw HORDE

05/23/2008 04:49 PM (UTC)
i think he was doing what noob was doing in umk3/t but you know i could be wrong
skorptile
05/23/2008 10:46 PM (UTC)
MK-4-LIFE Wrote:
I have never played MK4, so I don't know what he's like in it. Any good?

Consider yourself lucky if you have never had the displeasure of playing MK4. I dont remember much about Reiko gameplay wise. But I'd say he was probably one of the stronger characters and had good fatalitys. I didn't like his costume however and how MK4 pressed on making people beleive he was Shao Kahn.
MK-4-LIFE
05/23/2008 11:09 PM (UTC)
Nightcrow Wrote:
Hey MK_4_LIFE, you have got a wonderfull little thread here wink. I'm serious, i really like it.

Thanks bro. smile

Well, i never had such a great degree about Reiko, overall, and therefore i would like to ask a pro:

Reiko's a bit confusing, isn't he? I mean, for all i know, he has served two masters at the same time, i mean, during MK4, he was a member of the Brotherhood of Shadow, wich helped Shinnok in his war against the Elder Gods, but after it, Reiko started to work for Shao Kahn, right?

So, i think that before MK4, Reiko had served Shao Kahn. This is seen in Mortal Kombat Conquest (i know it is non-canon, but it was released shortly after MK4, and in that game, Reiko's ending has him sitting in Kahn's thrown and using his helmet... although all of this may be just a joke). And in Deception's Conquest mode, Shao Kahn gives you the task of telling Reiko not to wear his helmet again, so... Reiko was indeed serving Kahn after MK4.

This is all very confusing... i'll have to make a little research.

Over the last month I have done a lot of research into Reiko's storyline. He originally served as a Brotherhood of the Shadow. He trained there for a long, undetermined amount of time, hence why he has a lot of the moves that Noob Saibot has, since they were in the same clan (also, he was originally planned never to be in the game, but Noob Saibot was, but he took his place in MK4).

So during both of Shinnok's wars with the gods and Elder Gods (one being thousands of years ago, and the other being during the events of MK4), he acted as Shinnok's general, and led his armies to destruction. The armies were destroyed and Reiko "seemingly" disappeared until Armageddon.

In Armageddon, we of course learn that he is Shao Kahn's general, and has been for a while. He even fights Taven for his Emperor, and loses (since Taven obviously cheated, lol).

That's about all we know about him to this date, other than some day he wishes to overthrow Shao Kahn and become Emperor of Outworld (not that he could ever take of Shao Kahn).

Click here to read my biography of Reiko. It covers his storyline, with some added fiction to try and shed some light on the periods we know nothing about.
RazorsEdge701
05/25/2008 04:01 PM (UTC)
That's not exactly accurate.

Shinnok's "War with the Elder Gods" was NOT the war that happened thousands of years ago, where Raiden and Shinnok clashed for the first time. The Elder Gods didn't fight in that war, because it took place on Earthrealm and Shinnok's Amulet was specifically designed to prevent them from being able to interfere, you see.

The "War with the Elder Gods" happens between MK3 and MK4. Shinnok, with Tanya's help, first escapes the Netherealm by being offered asylum in Edenia by Queen Sindel. After he conquers Edenia, he launches a war on Heaven. THIS is the war Reiko fights and appears to die in, in his MK4 bio.

Reiko's exact backstory, from the evidence I've read, suggests that first, he was Shao Kahn's general in Outworld many centuries ago. Reiko died at some point and Goro became the new general. (Goro is general of Outworld's armies in MK1, if you'll recall)

Anyway, when Reiko died, he went to Hell, where he joined the Brotherhood of the Shadow. He's some form of undead now. I believe he's a Wraith, because he has the same blue eyes and similar powers as Noob Saibot. So after joining the BotS, he became Shinnok's general, because leading militaries is his specialty.

So there he stayed until MK4. When Shinnok and Quan Chi lost MK4, Reiko just sort of ran off before he could be sent back to Hell. Who knows what he did for the next few years, probably just layed low, but after Deception, he rejoined Shao Kahn and became his general once again.

MK-4-LIFE
05/25/2008 09:14 PM (UTC)
So you're saying that he was definitely allied with Shao Kahn before Shinnok, or is that just a theory?
RazorsEdge701
05/26/2008 05:12 AM (UTC)
He was definitely allied with Shao Kahn before Shinnok.

If he had never served Kahn before MK4, then he'd have no reason to covet Kahn's helmet.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.