MKvsDCU will have its own story!
posted07/11/2008 09:18 PM (UTC)by
samus_aran3900
About Me
IRC member DECEPTION
#MicksDesk, #gamiz, #tmk, #mortalkombat
Well MK fan site posted a little tid bit about, MKVsDCU, In the OXM magazine they interviewed, John Vogel and this game will not take place on any on the main, MK games it will have its own story heres a little tid bit from the interview. smile

"This game is not continuity." He tells us. "And that was the first question we asked Ed. My first question was, "This does not take place after Armageddon, does it?" and he said, "No, this is its own thing."

For more info go here.

http://www.fdmk.net/
XiahouDun84
07/01/2008 09:23 PM (UTC)
Lovely.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
07/01/2008 09:30 PM (UTC)
So... Quan Chi won't be in possession of himself during this game?

It's a fairly typical conceit any time something like this happens, so it's not surprising in the slightest, but it's hard not to feel disappointed. With the story and evolution of the characters being perhaps more important to MK than any comparable franchise, this really feels like a cop-out, if not a white flag for the investment in the game.

I can understand where a lot of disgruntled fans might be coming from when they say they want this game segregated to it's own little corner, but what's the point? By removing the game from what could've been quick and convenient post-Armageddon blurriness it's reducing the game to the irrelevance it's being accused of.

A portion of fans are always going to be displeased with this game, but I don't doubt that, given enough time and a solid enough effort, there'd be a sizeable portion who'd eventually come around to the inclusion of a game like this.

The comic side of things will be better conditioned to the incorporation of ideas in general, let alone specifically from crossovers, but it's not a complex notion. No, you won't be referring to Batman and the Flash in the future, but what is there for future reference is the implication of a post-Armageddon world in flux, and the development the MK characters will have undergone.

Granted, if there's any plan to develop the characters on the outer end of Armageddon, that would mean having the balls to present the characters in a less-than-frozen state, but I don't see how that's bad.
Better attention to writing really seems like a requirement in the aftermath of what was a grosse bungle for Armageddon!

At this point a game that put forward a shocking (if telegraphed) concept is settling very neatly into fullfilling all the expectations. Generating a new piece of the MK puzzle might have been the best way, whether they know it or not, to endear to the MK fanbase.

Disappointing, but, yes. Expected.
mkflegend
07/01/2008 09:36 PM (UTC)
Cool, great news. Now this means most likely this will perhaps be a non-canon all together or just a one or two time event.

I'm curious about which time period this will take place in, Vogel's the man. I really do hope both him and DC writers write something together at some point with MK and DC.
XiahouDun84
07/01/2008 09:38 PM (UTC)
Just occurred to me, if this game is just going to be a stand-alone, out-of-continuity thing...does that mean the writers will go all-out with the story; with maybe some characters from both sides dying in battle?
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
07/01/2008 09:42 PM (UTC)
XiahouDun84 Wrote:
Just occurred to me, if this game is just going to be a stand-alone, out-of-continuity thing...does that mean the writers will go all-out with the story; with maybe some characters from both sides dying in battle?

How is that any different to the usual inconsequential deaths in MK?
Don't tell me that actually registers as a cheap thrill! Oy! tongue
XiahouDun84
07/01/2008 09:49 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

Different in the sense that if this is meant to be a game with no effect on the canon, the story can then be approached with a sense of finality without consequence...a beginning, middle, and end...and some characters from both MK and DC might not survive since there's no worry about a future entry.

Just vaguely intrigued by the possiblity. Like any comic book alternate reality or "what-if" story where there's no guarantee the "untouchables" will survive unscathed.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

07/01/2008 10:07 PM (UTC)
XiahouDun84 Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

Just vaguely intrigued by the possiblity. Like any comic book alternate reality or "what-if" story where there's no guarantee the "untouchables" will survive unscathed.

The absence of tacked-on explanations for survivals and/or resurrections will be nice, but unless it's set during World War II, I'm not sure I'm with ya. tongue
Leo
About Me

07/01/2008 10:30 PM (UTC)
Okay, it's very hard for me to really understand how I feel about this. It's as if half of me was hoping for these news, and another half is disappointed by them... let me try to analyze the situation at hand.

Let's first look at the positives. This means that the likes of Batman, Superman, and Flash are actually not going to be a part of the MK universe and, in a sense, won't be "butting into" that universe whatsoever, causing no consequences and having no influence over it. These are soothing words to the side of me that was pissed out of my mind over the fact that Superman was gonna be more or less an MK character -_- ...

But then there's the side of me that's been aching for a new entry to the MK series, a new installment of that continuous storyline that I've fallen in love with from the beginning. The thought of, at last, receiving continuity often took away the pain of the DC characters' presence, making me forgive and forget many times until now. I'd tell myself "so what there are superheroes in the new installment, at least we're getting a new installment, a new chapter to answer the questions of and follow up on Armageddon!" And that eased my mind and even sparked more anticipation.

Now how am I supposed to feel about this? I wish the positive aspect I mentioned was powerful enough to be all I cared about, but it's not. Right now, I fear that it's not even strong enough to crush the latter disappointment. Basically, we're gonna have to wait another year or two to find out what the hell the new storyline after Armageddon is, what the hell Armageddon was all about, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is bringing me back to a very, very dark place I last visited during the announcement of this game. Fuck...
firesnake
07/01/2008 10:32 PM (UTC)
This news is already pretty obvious.
TheAdder
07/01/2008 10:38 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
So... Quan Chi won't be in possession of himself during this game?

It's a fairly typical conceit any time something like this happens, so it's not surprising in the slightest, but it's hard not to feel disappointed. With the story and evolution of the characters being perhaps more important to MK than any comparable franchise, this really feels like a cop-out, if not a white flag for the investment in the game.

I can understand where a lot of disgruntled fans might be coming from when they say they want this game segregated to it's own little corner, but what's the point? By removing the game from what could've been quick and convenient post-Armageddon blurriness it's reducing the game to the irrelevance it's being accused of.

A portion of fans are always going to be displeased with this game, but I don't doubt that, given enough time and a solid enough effort, there'd be a sizeable portion who'd eventually come around to the inclusion of a game like this.

The comic side of things will be better conditioned to the incorporation of ideas in general, let alone specifically from crossovers, but it's not a complex notion. No, you won't be referring to Batman and the Flash in the future, but what is there for future reference is the implication of a post-Armageddon world in flux, and the development the MK characters will have undergone.

Granted, if there's any plan to develop the characters on the outer end of Armageddon, that would mean having the balls to present the characters in a less-than-frozen state, but I don't see how that's bad.
Better attention to writing really seems like a requirement in the aftermath of what was a grosse bungle for Armageddon!

At this point a game that put forward a shocking (if telegraphed) concept is settling very neatly into fullfilling all the expectations. Generating a new piece of the MK puzzle might have been the best way, whether they know it or not, to endear to the MK fanbase.

Disappointing, but, yes. Expected.

Sometimes I'm really glad you hang out around here, it saves me the time and energy writing something like that when instead I can simply say:

I totally agree.
tgrant
About Me
Project MKK: Coming soon...

Currently working on: MKD & MKA - The One Ring Theory
07/01/2008 10:59 PM (UTC)
Excellent. I'm definitely happy about that! People can stop referring to it as MK8 now!
outworld222
07/02/2008 12:04 AM (UTC)
Fucken great news. Indeed, this did take a load off my mind. See you in two years everyone wink
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
07/02/2008 12:24 AM (UTC)
Holy jumping joy bags of silicone candy pieces. It's not MK8! lol...

Seriously though, good news.
Deathbearer
07/02/2008 12:50 AM (UTC)
Yes!! it isn't canon! {dances} grin now I don't hate it as much!
TrueNoob
About Me

"There is no knowledge that is not power."

-MK3
07/02/2008 01:24 AM (UTC)
Really, it's probably just because the MK writers aren't good enough to come up with a good explanation for it, and too wishy washy to do anything that would possibly piss off their fan base.
T-rex
About Me

07/02/2008 01:43 AM (UTC)
This is great news. I knew we could trust Vogel on this one. =)

You know what,though?

I actually wouldn't mind if this was a sequel to Armageddon. Have the whole universe merger thing happen as a result of Blaze dying and/or Onaga fucking around with the Kamidogus. And then keep this line of events as a "what-if",separate from the other games.

In other words,we would have the main storyline:
MK1 -> MK2 -> MK3 -> MK4 -> MKDA -> MKD -> the theoretically upcoming MK8 (?)

And then we would have the "what-if" storyline:
MKA -> MKvsDC -> other crossovers or whatever

There were actually some decent storyline ideas in MKA,but on a grand scale,it fucked things up.
mkflegend
07/02/2008 02:51 AM (UTC)
firesnake Wrote:

Not really since it hasn't been confirmed until now......

All we knew prior to this is MK vs. DC will have a story, that doesn't really say a lot until this update.

This is still btw, people MK8. If you want to though, say "MK9 is MK8 storyline wise" say MK goes back to being exclusive again then whatever...but this is still MK8 crossover or not...glasses
firesnake
07/02/2008 03:08 AM (UTC)
mkflegend Wrote:
firesnake Wrote:

All we knew prior to this is MK vs. DC will have a story, that doesn't really say a lot until this update.

This is still btw, people MK8. If you want to though, say "MK9 is MK8 storyline wise" say MK goes back to being exclusive again then whatever...but this is still MK8 crossover or not...glasses

Just because it hasen't been confirmed until now doesn't mean it wasen't obvious.
Deathbearer
07/02/2008 03:12 AM (UTC)
firesnake Wrote:
mkflegend Wrote:
firesnake Wrote:

Just because it hasen't been confirmed until now doesn't mean it wasen't obvious.

Not really. it was predictable but then again Boon can surprise you, after all this whole MK vs DC was a big surprise.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

07/02/2008 03:17 AM (UTC)
Can someone just pick up this magazine and tell us what the hell it says?
TheSilverSurfer
07/02/2008 03:18 AM (UTC)
I just wish the game would come out sooner, so I could buy it and see whats really good.
Ninja_Mime
07/02/2008 05:12 AM (UTC)
How is this disappointing in the slightest? Don't be lame, this is great news. There's no way they could have worked this into the story and have it not fuck up MK completely, forever.
firesnake
07/02/2008 07:17 AM (UTC)
Ninja_Mime Wrote:
How is this disappointing in the slightest? Don't be lame, this is great news. There's no way they could have worked this into the story and have it not fuck up MK completely, forever.

But MK is already fucked up with this crossover so it really doesn't matter.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

07/02/2008 08:26 AM (UTC)
Ninja_Mime Wrote:

Beginning: "Oh, I say! I must apologise! It seems this little 'Armageddon' dealio seems to have cause cosmic instabilities in Earthrealm! I swear, I'm going to give that Argus a good talking to, next time I see him! More tea, Mr. Spectre? Mr. Stranger?" "Not at all, Lord Raiden! It is truly we who must apologise! For, just as your Mr. Blaze created cosmic imbalance, so too have many of our unruly fellows. Why, we've had so many cosmic instabilities lately, I very nearly didn't show my pasty, vengeful face!"

Middle: The heroes were all very relieved to have survived the whiteout of Armageddon. Scorpion and Sub-Zero thought about hating each other in a world ironing out instabilities, but thought better of it when a lady in a leather catsuit asked for directions. Various other people discovered various things about themselves, also.

End: "Well, I'm glad THAT's over!" "Too true, Mr. Spectre! You know, I thought this was going to be another Zaterra!" "Ahahaha! I have no idea what that means but it would be rude not to laugh!" "I just hope something like this doesn't happen again, or else the world that survived Armageddon may once again be locked in uncertainty!" "Indeed!"

~ Quan Chi wanders out of crowd and laughs sinisterly. ~ Raiden, Fujin, the Spectre, and Phantom Stranger all enjoy a nice glass of lemonade. ~ The MK move on to personal agendas and the progression of their post-MKA cicumstances, as developd in MKvsDC, independent of reference to the DC trademarks.

Yaaaay!
Pages: 3
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.