totheark
07/17/2011 06:23 AM (UTC)
Here's an idea that stirred in my mind today, after seeing more useless threads get closed.

Why not inform a new user of the Rules and Guidelines of the site?

As far as I know, you can make an account and instantly start posting.

Why not force the page unto the Rules and Guidelines page; there would be a 20 second time limit you're forced to stay there.

That my be a bit drastic; but at least once the members are done signing up, forward the page to the Community FAQ.

All I ask for is just a way for new members to get to learn the site.

Hell, you can just mention the Community FAQ in the sign up process.

I just want this board to flow more naturally and I think implementing these ideas (or some form of it), will do just that.
UNdiscovered
07/30/2011 06:06 AM (UTC)
totheark Wrote:
Here's an idea that stirred in my mind today, after seeing more useless threads get closed.

Why not inform a new user of the Rules and Guidelines of the site?

As far as I know, you can make an account and instantly start posting.

Why not force the page unto the Rules and Guidelines page; there would be a 20 second time limit you're forced to stay there.

That my be a bit drastic; but at least once the members are done signing up, forward the page to the Community FAQ.

All I ask for is just a way for new members to get to learn the site.

Hell, you can just mention the Community FAQ in the sign up process.

I just want this board to flow more naturally and I think implementing these ideas (or some form of it), will do just that.

or just send an auto welcome message with basic rules and a link to the faq

also they should remove the intro forum its stupid because no one really cares just a bunch of empty threads just automatically give them the 3 dps its a waste really
there should be a new users section/notification that would help more
Arthur Zonatto
09/03/2011 06:47 PM (UTC)
This is sort of my only complaints, since all the others have been reported (bold & italic buttons etc).

It is about the Partners in Darkness Theme. Its background should be darker, but not black, so black lettering could be seen.

The other complaint is that we can not preview our posts, to see if you put the correct code and if it's working, if quotes and spoilers are on/off, this ability is in the signature (preview) but it should be in normal posts as well.
NS922
About Me
09/06/2011 01:07 PM (UTC)
I've always wanted a button that previews your post before you post it. I hate having to post something first to see if a link or picture works or not, then having to edit the post if it doesn't.
Krayzie_Killin_Joker
About Me

Thanks to xB$INx for the Kick-Ass Sig.

09/20/2011 04:14 AM (UTC)
So ive posted this idea somewhere else, but since alot of people tell me to post it here, i'd figure what the hell...

Wouldnt it be a good idea to go into someones profile, and actually see the threads they've made?

Now i know theres a search feature and what not, but lets say that you want to go to persons profile and see what they've posted, it's more of a convenient thing that could actually be useful.

Hope you guys take this into consideration.
Nephrite
12/04/2011 11:27 PM (UTC)
I have a question, hopefully I'm not asking in the wrong place but here it goes...

Q: Is there a limit to the number of private messages we can have in our inbox?

I have 20 at the moment and if I'm close to the limit (if there is one) I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to receive any new messages.
Ninja_Mime
12/16/2011 09:26 PM (UTC)
There's no inbox limit.
Nephrite
12/21/2011 04:42 PM (UTC)
^ Thanks! smile
Zmoke
12/27/2011 01:14 AM (UTC)
Improvement Suggestion: For the price of $20.00 USD, I don't see the Flawless Account worth purchasing. It offers you a higher rank, that is seen illegitimate by some, and some storage space for the pictures that you mostly exhibit to others - basically it's there to boost your image. The only reason for me to pay it now would be to support MKO, and that alone is not enough. It should provide you with more visible benefits, like a mini game that only the insiders could discuss about. Even if it was Galaga or Pong, it would bring new value for the Flawless Account (which means more credibility to the site) and also gratitude your old, nice Assassins.
Improvement Suggestion II: Give extra credit for people who successfully bring new active users to the community. This habit is yet to be utilized in other MK communities and it would be another factor telling people that MKO is above any other. It's often used in commission work programmes.
Fix: The text in the end of the MKO pages: "Mortal Kombat, the Dragon Logo, and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc." should be written: "Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc." instead. A comma before 'and' should be added only when there are two separate main clauses in a sentence, as far as I'm concerned. Call me squeamish (but my intention is merely to assist).
jack4813
01/02/2012 07:35 AM (UTC)
I have a few suggestions.

1: Notifications. When someone quotes you, you get a notice for it right by the inbox menu. Same for any other thing that might directly involve you as a user. Like when you score DPs, you get a notice for it. I visit a forum that uses this system, and it works very well.

2: The ability to see the last person who posted in a specific thread.

3: The ability to see the last thread that was posted in in a specific forum section.

Now, my next suggestion I hope can actually be achieved now, as it does not require any site updates.

4: I see a lot of threads in a lot of forums that seem useless, too rant-y, or bound to be a "five poster" as I like to call them

So, to prevent this, make a Rant thread in each forum section (Save for maybe Fan Sub. and Intro.) so that people can rant about something specifically, without having to make a whole new thread.

Do the same for Q&A threads. One for each forum. Even a Q&A thread in "General Discussion" for questions that don't relate to MK. (The amount of threads like "Hey, how do I..." Would be decreased.)

I feel this would reduce the amount of useless threads, and could actually be made effective in the coming days even.
Nephrite
01/02/2012 12:01 PM (UTC)
It would also be nice to be able to see a list of all users who posted in a specific thread and the number of posts each user posted. You could have this list pop-up in a separate window by clicking on the number that shows the total number of posts for a specific thread (see the image below).

Right click -> view image (for a full size view).

This would also help Shadow Priests in doing their job. wink
Knightmare
About Me

Scott Howell - Co-founder
scott@mortalkombatonline.com

Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience

01/05/2012 02:19 PM (UTC)
Nephrite, I'm not sure exactly what's being added, but from the concepts I've seen the new forum does appear to have improvements similar to what is seen in most boards these day, and some pop up information.
Knightmare
About Me

01/05/2012 02:22 PM (UTC)
Zmoke -

All I can say is we will be eliminating Flawless accounts and replacing it with a donation system instead. As of what will happen to current Flawless account owners is still being determined.

As for the copyright information, I've took note and will make the change later today. Thanks.
Nephrite
01/05/2012 10:27 PM (UTC)
Scott-Howell Wrote:
Nephrite, I'm not sure exactly what's being added, but from the concepts I've seen the new forum does appear to have improvements similar to what is seen in most boards these day, and some pop up information.

Alright, looking forward to it! smile
Kamionero
01/18/2012 11:43 AM (UTC)
Here are some suggestions:

1- Adding Quotable text in PM, and an Outbox. There is no way to access previously sent messages.

2- When 1st post on new page is written, new page does not show on main forum. Fixing that somehow would be handy and prevent those posts from being overlooked.

3- After posting something, when clicking "to go to the message" dont go to page 1 of the thread, where chances are, the post is not present. Make it go to the last page... go to the actual message that was just posted.

4-Not very important, but maybe adding who was the last user to comment in addition to thread creator on main page, so when you comment and then see the thead, you dont have to go to it or memorize the number of posts to know if anyone replied.
Knightmare
About Me

01/19/2012 06:01 PM (UTC)
I can comment on #4 - I've seen this in mock-ups, so that functionality should be there in the upgrade.
Zmoke
02/20/2012 09:49 PM (UTC)
No problem. Community FAQ (General Conduct) should be updated:
Post new topics in the correct forum. For example, a topic relating to Mortal Kombat 3 belongs in the Classic MK Games Discussion forum while a topic concerning new ideas for a future Mortal Kombat game belongs in the Future MK Games Discussion forum.

Classic MK Games Discussion doesn't exists any longer thus it should be replaced with 2D Kombat Klassics in there. It's not a big deal however.

The green Concealed Saurian theme must be the most used site theme out there, probably as popular as Deceptive Beauty and Partners in Darkness are combined – because it is conventional and doesn't hurt one's eyes. Now, Sonya Blade is a popular character and for once not a ninja, so I was thinking that you should consider creating a camouflage theme for Sonya Blade or the Special Forces overall. A white-gray theme would also feel comfortable, and Smoke has many fans in MKO, so that wouldn't hurt anyone either. The real request here is a camo theme.
Perhaps a poll could give us a better view on whether we would need an alternative green theme with Sonya Blade or Jax and camouflage in it.
I have dozens of other forum ideas in my pocket, but I may restore some of them for a potential, local forum of my own. I'm aware that big changes for MKO are probably in progress right now, but this theme would work as a temporary freshness and joy for the dedicated members plus experiment its popularity to indicate its necessity in the next big update of MKO.

In a front page news article, "Post New Comment" doesn't function and the "E-mail to a friend" page looks tacky. They should be fixed or removed.

The "Mortal Kombat Online Kommunity Forums" page needs tweaking a bit. While MKO itself is American-based, Mortal Kombat as a series has spread through all the western countries and others. There wouldn't be forums dedicated to e.g. German, Russian or Australian fans otherwise.
Every single description of a forum has at least one shout mark with the exception of "Future MK Games" but it's not that possible to hype the future MK games yet anyway. The word "powerhouse" is used twice (minor note).

D ́Arque Bishop ́s introduction thread for "3D Kombat Klassics" uses the word retro in the wrong sense. Armageddon, Deadly Alliance etc. are being called "the recently retro" whereas the definition of "retro" is usually "something new, something old" with the weight on "old". I suppose the correct word would be "vintage". Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection can be considered retro seeing it brought the online multiplayer as a new thing.

Submitting Fan Art: After writing a nice amount of text in the "Comments" window, I clicked the "Choose File" option and bam – everything was gone. The "Choose File" option should come before to prevent surprises.

There are some plain stupid adverts in the upper-right box sometimes. One time it was advertising "Czech single women seeking for true love."

Refreshing the rating system in Fan Submission couldn't harm anyone. It's not rare to find works with a zero score without comments. I was thinking that people could rate anonymously only between 40%–60% or so even if that would require a new rating system. It would be enough for people to express whether the submission is bad, average or good. If it's disgusting or a masterpiece, people will surely bother to write something too. This would also reduce the amount of possible double aliases for cheating.

This was by no means all. I'm afraid I can't give further ideas or notes uncredited. Perhaps I can when or if I'm working on them. Thank you.
(Erik)
03/23/2012 06:38 PM (UTC)
When I try to view my messages, sometimes I accidentally hover over News and then the drop down menu comes and blocks the messages and it never goes away so I have to refresh the page or go back a screen to do it, and sometimes it happens again and I have to keep doing this.

I don't know if that's just a personal problem.
(Erik)
07/14/2012 04:41 PM (UTC)
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/CDS/submitNews.cgi on this server.

Apache Server at www.mortalkombatonline.com Port 80

- The message I get when I try to submit a news lead.
D'Arque Bishop
07/14/2012 08:14 PM (UTC)
(Erik) Wrote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/CDS/submitNews.cgi on this server.

Apache Server at www.mortalkombatonline.com Port 80

- The message I get when I try to submit a news lead.

The next time you get that error, please PM me the EXACT time (complete with timezone) that it happens. That will help me track down the problem and figure out a solution.
(Erik)
10/03/2012 04:05 AM (UTC)
There should be a "report post" button.
(Erik)
10/23/2012 01:23 PM (UTC)
I really don't believe that this thread is monitored.
Murcielago
About Me

Get that ass BANNED

10/24/2012 02:45 AM (UTC)
Yeah, I don't believe this thread is monitored.
(Erik)
10/24/2012 04:15 AM (UTC)
Skull points get handed out so loosely. It would be nice if we saw positive contributions by users rewarded in the same way with dragon points.
Icebaby
11/06/2012 06:35 PM (UTC)
I finally have a question to ask because it's kinda irking me a little whenever I go into the fan art forum.

A while back I was asked on how I could improve the Fan Submission forums, (I was not the only user that was asked). I did suggest if there could be some "featured artist of the month" to where majority of the works could be published on the front page or so.

I'm not sure if that would lead to unwanting posts from unactive threads that hasn't seen a post in years and if that could be an issue. But is this something that could be looked further into? Or are there other things being worked upon for the fan art?

I only ask because I haven't really seen anything be done with it since people were being asked.
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.