devilwithin
About Me
The boy kicked out at the world. The world kicked back a lot fuckin' harder.

MK Online Featured User 31/3/2010 12/4/2011
-----------------------Gifts-----------------------
Shinnok-fan64 - s3Kt0r
11/12/2012 01:28 PM (UTC)
Hey

Got idea for forum, you know how we got buttons to add original post or add spoiler tag. How about button that add link tag and image tag for us because it bit of pain for people to find the tags if they don't know it off by heart.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

02/12/2013 08:09 AM (UTC)
I have a few (mostly friendly) suggestions.

1- The FAQ needs a complete re-write. I say this because given the philosophical changes I've seen in the last few weeks, I don't have any idea what the direction is here anymore. It certainly isn't what's stated in the FAQ. I see some things enforced by a couple of staffers and not by others, so I suppose what I'm asking for is both consistency and a clear doctrine of what will and won't be policed.

2- Just do away with the damn ranking system already. It pains me to say that as I along with others had some really solid ideas for what the ranks should look like when V8 comes in the year 2050. Nobody gets DPs and skulls are thrown around aimlessly and loosely. Kunglaodoesntsuck's post in the XBOX 720 thread explaining why it's preferred to make a new thread as opposed to posting in the Drive-By, though off-topic, was the most absurd skull I've ever seen handed out on this site. He defended the new world order and got skulled anyway. Ridiculous. Seems to me that the only ways to consistently get DPs these days are to spam FanSub and make sigs for people. It baffles me that DPs are given for filling sig requests and were taken away from the SOTW threads. Let's think logically now - if people only participated in SOTW for the chance to win DPs, then doesn't it follow that the same people who were in SOTW would fill requests for the DPs there? If you guys aren't going to reward users for being helpful in posts and contributing to legitimately intelligent discourse, then get rid of the ranks. They're obsolete if that's the case.

3- There is absolutely no excuse for V8 not being live for a while now. In the 4+ years that this thread has been open, I'm sure that CCShadow amid his busy schedule could have taught someone how to code the site so that he wouldn't have to. I don't mind the look of the site as it is now, it's everything that's missing on the inside that is really quite laughable. It's nice to hear from Scott-Howell that certain features are in the works, but we've been saying it for how many years now? It's been obvious to me since before I made God rank that Shadow doesn't have the time for this place. The least he could do is impart his knowledge on someone like Mick so that things can actually get done.

4- Do NOT make any changes to the current lineup of forums. They're perfect as is. This is something that has gotten much better as revisions were made and now it's the ideal setup. Thanks for that, guys.

5- Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but allow poll threads. It's common practice on just about every forum out there nowadays and I think we could benefit from it.

That's all from me, my gratitude to whoever reads this.
TheMkGeek
03/05/2013 06:13 AM (UTC)
I'd like to make a site enhancement suggestion; how about a way for us to know how long we've been a member for here? I know I'm at least coming up either 9 or 10 years but it'd be nice to know for sure. I'm sure there's more than just me who'd like this added
balkcsiaboot
11/05/2013 07:20 PM (UTC)
I got a PM yesterday or today, dated 01/01/2013.
A few weeks ago another one dated 00/11/2013.

The fuck is going on here? Does MKO not run on a standard built-in date/time library? Did you try to reinvent the wheel and program your own calendar system?

May I also suggest that we remove all the useless stickied threads that are cluttering Fan Submission forum? If they haven't been replied to in over a year, I say get rid of 'em.
StrykerKombat
04/02/2014 10:21 AM (UTC)
wasn't sure where to post this but can I speak to a site admin please, I've messaged a couple with no responses, thanks.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
04/02/2014 10:54 AM (UTC)
I'm gonna guess you want to check the Special Forces forum.
If that's not the solution, send me a PM.
robs727
06/01/2014 12:11 AM (UTC)
Hmmm so we're still stuck in the mid-00's I see.

I've seen websites go through 3 or 4 updates in that time...
Dibula
About Me

03/28/2015 01:13 AM (UTC)
Look, I am not saying this in a sense of rage, or blind ignorance, or out of a sudden sense of victimization, because I have absolutely none of these things.

I am just asking, as a longtime user of this site...imploring really...please, refresh your moderator list.

I am sure you have heard this a million times Mick, mostly out of flamboyant inner thread angst, but this is a legitimate concern. I only see two active moderators on this site who live in opposite time zones.

Mick, and Killswitch.

You guys are both cool dudes, but you need more dudes if you want to begin to restore any quality of user experience this site once had.

As of late, many users are seeing other users behave in a way that would have gotten them a banhammer within minutes even six years ago. It is hard to keep this place civil with only two active users here who cannot dedicate every fabric of their being to MKO.

This is in no way me volunteering, or implying I could do a better job. This is me taking a legitimate concern of the community to the proper place. Mick, dude, get some people to check your site while you can't, and retire the people who aren't around to do their jobs. Even if it is a temporary promotion, this place really needs it.

m0s3pH
About Me

03/28/2015 01:26 AM (UTC)
dibula Wrote:
Look, I am not saying this in a sense of rage, or blind ignorance, or out of a sudden sense of victimization, because I have absolutely none of these things.

I am just asking, as a longtime user of this site...imploring really...please, refresh your moderator list.

I am sure you have heard this a million times Mick, mostly out of flamboyant inner thread angst, but this is a legitimate concern. I only see two active moderators on this site who live in opposite time zones.

Mick, and Killswitch.

You guys are both cool dudes, but you need more dudes if you want to begin to restore any quality of user experience this site once had.

As of late, many users are seeing other users behave in a way that would have gotten them a banhammer within minutes even six years ago. It is hard to keep this place civil with only two active users here who cannot dedicate every fabric of their being to MKO.

This is in no way me volunteering, or implying I could do a better job. This is me taking a legitimate concern of the community to the proper place. Mick, dude, get some people to check your site while you can't, and retire the people who aren't around to do their jobs. Even if it is a temporary promotion, this place really needs it.

*applause*

Consider this post as me throwing my hat back in the ring yet again. I'm not expecting anything to change or that I'll be offered my job back, but let's just say that I've been helping Killswitch find things that need moderation. In effect, I'm doing it for free, because I still care about this place.

Mick, do the right thing and promote some people. This laissez-faire approach isn't working and you know it.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
03/29/2015 06:30 AM (UTC)
All the qualifiers in the world don't mitigate the fact that your objection is one of culture and rooted in a need for self-moderation. Users who choose to give priority to opinions they don't agree with, or add inflammatory mass to a disagreement, have no weight in the matter of moderation.

The community - populated by many users of adult age - needs to be able to handle and recognize discourse. Disagreement is not grounds for forum moderation. Where disagreements may escalate, it's the responsibility of users to remove themselves, and report problems if they arise.

Likewise, more users, particularly those who purport to have unique insight, should make an effort to contribute their own views in a constructive manner. Failing to do so only feeds a practise of lending disproportionate importance to one opposing view.

Admin is always interested in promoting from within the community, but users who don't demonstrate an understanding of basic administrative principles will not be considered.

Note: Further commentary will be subject to moderation.

DArqueBishop Wrote:
  • This thread is not for complaining about other users. If you have a problem with a user causing problems, please PM an online moderator (or offline ones if no one is around). If you have a problem with a moderator, please PM ~Crow~.

• On the other hand, this thread is not for recommending yourself or others to be promoted to moderator status. smile We have an internal system for selecting new moderators and have that under control.
Dibula
About Me

03/29/2015 05:27 PM (UTC)
I have been pondering how to make a sensible reply to that nonsensical, passive aggressive brush off, but I give up. It seems my point was missed, and I don't know how else to get my point across without being rewarded with a Psych 101 analysis or the implication that I want to be a moderator here, when I have neither the time nor dedication to this site. It is comforting knowing this thread is subject to moderation, when the rest of the site sure isn't. That will be all from me, unless you are willing to discuss this in a more reasonable manner via PM. Just know that this was in no way a personal attack to any of the staff or individual users. This was me, regrettably being the one to attempt to be the voice of the majority of the MKX forum, when "a more favorable" user would not.
m0s3pH
About Me

03/29/2015 05:54 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
All the qualifiers in the world don't mitigate the fact that your objection is one of culture and rooted in a need for self-moderation.

Last time I checked, MKO does not have an ignore button.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Users who choose to give priority to opinions they don't agree with, or add inflammatory mass to a disagreement, have no weight in the matter of moderation.

Fair, but then again, those are the users who need to be moderated, and they very clearly aren't.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
The community - populated by many users of adult age - needs to be able to handle and recognize discourse. Disagreement is not grounds for forum moderation. Where disagreements may escalate, it's the responsibility of users to remove themselves, and report problems if they arise.

Already doing that, as I've stated. I've been giving [Killswitch] far more work than you have because I'm tipping him off all the time. You don't need to preach to me about what should and shouldn't be moderated; I've walked in those shoes. However, when a user who says that Shaun Himmerick deserved to have rape threats made about his wife receives no disciplinary actions, it's difficult to have faith in the system. I would hope that you'd understand that at the very least.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Likewise, more users, particularly those who purport to have unique insight, should make an effort to contribute their own views in a constructive manner. Failing to do so only feeds a practise of lending disproportionate importance to one opposing view.

Yea, we could all be a little more understanding, can't we? It's been pretty obvious to me and many other users that disagreements are fine until someone presents their view in an inflammatory way. Sure, there will always be people on this site who can't handle discourse, but that's why we have moderators. You guys are supposed to step in before shit hits the fan, not after... or never. Being proactive is seldom a bad thing.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Admin is always interested in promoting from within the community, but users who don't demonstrate an understanding of basic administrative principles will not be considered.

I don't see the point when you don't allow them to do anything as it is, but okay.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Note: Further commentary will be subject to moderation.

Yea, I'm not afraid of you, because we're on good terms and because I really believe I'm in the right. You know damn well that I've done more good for this community than most.
DArqueBishop Wrote:
  • This thread is not for complaining about other users. If you have a problem with a user causing problems, please PM an online moderator (or offline ones if no one is around). If you have a problem with a moderator, please PM ~Crow~.

• On the other hand, this thread is not for recommending yourself or others to be promoted to moderator status. smile We have an internal system for selecting new moderators and have that under control.

I'd love to PM ~Crow~, but he's long gone. Doesn't take much effort for me to message [Killswitch] on Facebook, as I've been doing whenever I see something that needs to be looked at. I could very easily stop helping you guys out if that's your solution, but at least I've shown that I still care about this place... more than anyone can say for these absentee mods. It's been months since I've seen many of them so much as make a post anywhere on the forums. Does that not bother you? Shouldn't mods at least be active participants in the community? I don't care if it's me who gets picked; just pick somebody who can handle being a moderator.

P.S. When the bulk of the good posters here have a problem with the way the site is run, the correct response is not a long-winded, roundabout way of saying "it's your own fault." That only shows us that you don't care. You're better than that, Mick. I know it.
Murcielago
About Me

Get that ass BANNED

03/29/2015 07:35 PM (UTC)
Put me in coach. My time has come.
KingBellsprout
03/31/2015 06:32 PM (UTC)
Wasn't there a thread about site updates coming soon or whatever? I get that we have been told about updates that don't happen for quite some time but I was hoping they'd finally exist.
Vash_15
About Me
04/14/2015 06:44 PM (UTC)
I've been coming to this site since I started middle school. I'm now about to graduate college and this site is still working on the same awful system.
KingBellsprout
05/09/2015 12:52 AM (UTC)
Promotion for community gameplay? Anyone? Just asking because I know it was run when MK9 was released and was supposed to be started but it seems people in power on this site did nothing to try and get people to join it.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/12/2015 10:02 AM (UTC)
TheNinjasRock071394 Wrote:
Promotion for community gameplay? Anyone? Just asking because I know it was run when MK9 was released and was supposed to be started but it seems people in power on this site did nothing to try and get people to join it.

As the state of the game becomes a little less shambolic we'll probably start experimenting with some new promoted online events. The best way to support that is to make sure you're already on the Gameplay & Matchmaking forum, issuing and responding to challenges, and generally using it to organize your own meet-ups. The more players show initiative and a willingness to get involved, the more everyone will have to work with.
Torchia
10/16/2015 07:45 PM (UTC)
Guys, I'm scared. Everything is so centered. Sign of things to come, or minor tweak?
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/18/2015 04:16 AM (UTC)
torchia Wrote:
Guys, I'm scared. Everything is so centered. Sign of things to come, or minor tweak?

Making a few improvements around the place.
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

10/25/2015 03:34 PM (UTC)
The new layout options are great.

Rocking Kotal's.
Poasty-Guy
About Me
We've got chicken tonight. Strangest damn things. They're man made.
07/11/2016 06:45 PM (UTC)
impeach mick, allow file sharing, make a frasier theme
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.