Mortal kombat movie to start filmin in september
posted10/13/2009 03:26 AM (UTC)by
NeoScorpion
About Me
Chris Cassamassa has been cast as scorpion once more, and has spilled the beans.... but after annihilation do we even want another stinker?
ShingoEX
07/08/2009 09:42 PM (UTC)
Citation needed
Elnino
07/08/2009 09:48 PM (UTC)
They should just make a 3D animated movie instead of using actors, it would be way better.
travm013
07/08/2009 10:00 PM (UTC)
Elnino Wrote:
They should just make a 3D animated movie instead of using actors, it would be way better.

i second that
Darklord_Xel
07/08/2009 10:43 PM (UTC)
ShingoEX Wrote:
Citation needed

Here ya go.
ShingoEX
07/08/2009 10:51 PM (UTC)
"Right now we’re going off a short quote from a stunt actor, so I don’t feel the need to speculate much further."

I'll wait for an official announcement.
Icebaby
07/08/2009 10:58 PM (UTC)
I do not believe one bit of this.
mkflegend
07/09/2009 12:30 AM (UTC)
I see no reason why Chris would lie as he also states it here. Good to see it finally get started here.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_12742587

Now honestly, I can't imagine another MK movie being worse then the second one. Hell...have you seen the SF movies? lol they're worse.

First MK rocked, this one I think will also be good as long as they stick more to the story and get MK teams approval(which I read and heard Boon say they have read a few scripts for MK3 movie around the time of MKDC's release) Personally, I hope they do go with the "Batman Begins" route, kind of remake the first one but with more characters that the second one introduced more canon to their real storylines.

Funny thing though is on imdb, it says rumored Christopher Lambert only on that list so far to be Raiden again(which I hope happens)

I won't be shocked if we see Lambert, Cassamassa and Robin Shou again hopefully besides Chris. I remember Boon saying in one of the ladder interviews concerning the 3rd MK movie that it would show more of the "side characters" and not just the typical guys. Perhaps Kabal?Smoke?Ermac? Quan-Chi? Characters like this would be sweet to see more of honestly.

Time will tell, either way I'm seeing this and happy to hear it's finally getting off it's feet. Especially now that WB has MK, you can bet this will happen soon.
07/09/2009 01:56 AM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:

Yeah, after 10+ years of being mislead, I've given up on this movie series/
Shyriu
About Me

I am awesome.

07/09/2009 02:07 AM (UTC)
travm013 Wrote:
Elnino Wrote:

i second that

Yeah.... NO.

Give me one action 3D movie that was good.

Beowulf was close, but it still looked odd and it had the luck of not being a videogame adaptation.

Best way to go is not to make any more MK movies for a loooong while and not up with another Chun-Li kind of film.
(Erik)
07/09/2009 02:14 AM (UTC)
Shyriu Wrote:
travm013 Wrote:
Elnino Wrote:

i second that

Yeah.... NO.
Give me one action 3D movie that was good.

I enjoyed Resident Evil: Degeneration.
Darklord_Xel
07/09/2009 02:15 AM (UTC)
mkflegend Wrote:
I see no reason why Chris would lie as he also states it here... http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_12742587

That one sentence is the only source that's given in any of the news leads I've seen (including the one I posted.)

Back on topic;

Frankly, I'm assuming Chris said "We were supposed to film the 3rd movie in September" (Sept. '08 is when mink originally stated they were beginning production) and the interviewer misheard "were" as "are" (or something to that effect.)
wrdlfe21version21
mkflegend Wrote:
Especially now that WB has MK, you can bet this will happen soon.

I agree though I'm skeptical about it as well. But I like the idea of them doing a "Batman Begins" sorta thing. Re-vamping it would be nice but with the original cast if they could do that. Except cast someone else as Sonya. I love Bridgette Wilson but truth be told I heard she couldn't fight so that's why she only had 1 fight scene. And Robin Shou just did that bad Street Fighter movie so he still acts and Chris Lambert is a must in my book he IS Rayden as far as I'm concerned.

But who knows indeed only time will tell and note to Ed Boon

NO PAUL ANDERSON! Please!
Jiro
About Me

Kung Lao/Smoke main. Maker of puns and bad jokes.

Riyakou Wrote:
Icebaby Wrote:

Yeah, after 10+ years of being mislead, I've given up on this movie series/

lol, i gave up after 95 minutes of MK: Annihilation
Sub-Zero_7th
07/09/2009 02:41 AM (UTC)
To me, while I would like to see a well-made Mortal Kombat movie, I haven't really been all that interested in seeing a new one. It's been 12 years since the last movie, which was quite awful. At this point, I kind of feel that a Batman Begins-esque reboot, with the type of quality of the new Batman movies, is needed if new Mortal Kombat movies are to be made.

With the Batman movies, you had Batman & Robin in 1997, which is the same year that Mortal Kombat: Annihilation came out. That movie is greatly hated, and it wasn't until 8 years later that Batman Begins came into the picture and really gave a new life to the Batman movies by starting a new continuity.

If this movie is half-way decent at least, I'll probably check it out. If it's not worth it, then forget about it...
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
07/09/2009 02:56 AM (UTC)
I'm not holding my breath. I'll believe in a third movie when we actually get more than just an actor/stunt man's word, no matter who they were/are in the series.
Gho$t
07/09/2009 03:59 AM (UTC)
Nuthing is official without a trailer in the real world. If they make it happen, I guess MK:9 will come out around the same time.
Axl118
07/09/2009 04:45 AM (UTC)
Lyndn Ashby also said he will be reprising his role as Johnny Cage in a soapnet interview. He is the best guy to play him, and hopefully this movie is a sequel to the first one, because the first one was actually good.
sonicherosfan1
07/09/2009 11:09 AM (UTC)
Hm I can only assume WB is behind this is some form or another.I can actually see this going straight to dvd/blu-ray and thats not all a bad thing even though most of us would rather see a new MK movie in the theatres.So who really knows,come sept and if nothing is moving along by then,well we all can wait for the next excuse by whoever why its not filming yet.Here's a really good question. If their(whoever they are)filming in sept,they have to already have a cast and real director by now.Sept is less then 2 months away and until now theres hasn't been any official real news about the third movie.What is the movie about?Is it a sequel,prequel?Even before filming most companies have a release date for the movie to try to getting it out by.Will this take place in Gotham City??Haha. So many questions and yet no one wants to give any real official information away......yet.
Zeroninja3
07/09/2009 12:26 PM (UTC)
the next mortal kombat movie is not mk3 but a remake of the first mortal kombat film. if i had the time and money i would do a mk3 movie for everyone to enjoy and love.
rodrigomaru
07/09/2009 02:14 PM (UTC)
As long as it has decent fight scenes, and ONE good gory FATALITY sequence (no soul steal bullcrap), then i'll watch it, i mean, it cant be worse than Annihilation...right..?................................right?confused
ShingoEX
07/09/2009 02:35 PM (UTC)
Went back and watched the 1st film, and it really doesn't hold up all that well. I still enjoy watching it, but parts of it were just god-awful.

(Yeah, this is more of a re-review than anything of the old movie, but whatever.)

Not only do some of the moves look REALLY crappy (anyone attempting a sweep kick), but Sonya was TERRIBLE as a fighter (and as a character, with next to ZERO personality aside from being a wooden bitch). Goro's potential was also wasted on a short, crappy fight, and I was outright embarrassed to hear the game terms (flawless victory/fatality) shoe-horned in for the hell of it. At least "finish him" fit into context a bit.

Also, even though this belongs in the "being technical while watching movies" thread, it's so stupid how Cage is all like "I know Kitana went this way...I can smell her perfume", when the path is completely covered with undamaged cobwebs. Seriously...wtf? We're supposed to believe that?

I am still VERY pleased they didn't screw up Reptile. They came damn close with that "thing" he was in the beginning, but they salvaged that by transforming him into a ninja. Unfortunately, the silliness continued by the end of that fight, with Kang doing a VERY crappy looking bicycle kick, and Reptile somehow defying physics by zero-gravity flipping away from the kick.

IMO, yes...it needs a reboot. The core plot elements of the first movie were fine, and *most* of the actors were good. It's just unfortunate it had so many facepalm moments.

tabmok99
About Me

For the most in-depth, in-detail, Mortal Kombat lore analysis vids, there's only one source:

https://www.youtube.com/tabmok99

07/09/2009 03:19 PM (UTC)
ShingoEX Wrote:Also, even though this belongs in the "being technical while watching movies" thread, it's so stupid how Cage is all like "I know Kitana went this way...I can smell her perfume", when the path is completely covered with undamaged cobwebs. Seriously...wtf? We're supposed to believe that?

I didn't see this as a movie mistake at all. The easy answer here is: Movie characters aren't always right, in this case Johnny was wrong. (Sonya even said "I smell something... bullshit.")

The other option here is that there were multiple paths Kitana could've gone down, Johnny's way would've worked & it's just that he chose the one less traveled.
Thrawn
07/09/2009 03:22 PM (UTC)
I think the best bet for a new mk movie would be to ignore the tournament and do a mythology type movie based on one or two characters. A Sub-Zero movie dealing with the Lin Kuei, Scorpion, and Quan Chi would be a dream come true.
ShingoEX
07/09/2009 03:29 PM (UTC)
]{0MBAT Wrote:
I didn't see this as a movie mistake at all. The easy answer here is: Movie characters aren't always right, in this case Johnny was wrong. (Sonya even said "I smell something... bullshit.")

The other option here is that there were multiple paths Kitana could've gone down, Johnny's way would've worked & it's just that he chose the one less traveled.

Yeah, but they all followed him thinking he was on the trail until it lead them right back to where they started. So, one has to assume they initially thought he knew what he was talking about. They were all complete idiots to even THINK a cobweb-filled cavern was recently navigated.

Besides, Cage specifically said Kitana went that particular route.
Pages: 3
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.