Human Smoke Reflections
posted04/10/2011 09:02 PM (UTC)by
Zmoke
Human Smoke Reflections

Salute, fellows! This is a topic for anticipation and discussion of Human Smoke's inevitable return, that is hopefully becoming real soon.

The question is: what do you reflect on Human Smoke? He is my all-time favorite character out of all the Mortal Kombat characters. Why? I consider him as sort of a culmination of all the secret characters and Easter eggs of Mortal Kombat. The thing is that he has never been fully revealed in the ninja form, not even in Shaolin Monks. He is a quite cool and unique character despite being a ninja, if only he had his own special moves. Specials & Fatalities (After the votes are complete, starting from page 9)

-Younger Sub-Zero's best friend

-Finally human for a change due to time traveling

-Classic and mysterious secret character from the most iconic Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II

-Human Smoke has never really been turn over yet unlike the MK1 secret character Reptile has been.

-This poll held in Midway Boards beckons that Human Smoke should make it; out of his all three forms Human got 4/5 of all the votes.

-Another similar poll, covering almost all of the major MK forums, ended up with the same outcome.

-Story-wise this is the only possible chance for Human Smoke to make it because at the time of the storyline Smoke was about to be turned into a cyborg for life.

-Cyborg Smoke is the only cyborg who doesn't have any particularly cyborg moves. That said Smoke is better as human.

-There must be more fighters in the Forces of Light this time around if Raiden is to win Shao Kahn. Besides, Human Smoke has more depth compared to the latest incarnations; Fog Smoke was only a simple underling for Noob.

-The change of Smoke into Fog Smoke clearly indicates that the developers tried to turn Smoke back into his human form. It failed, but now there is a solid chance to fix that.

-Let's face it, Smoke will probably be in the game - but why to make him worse than what he would potentially be?

-This Mortal Kombat is said to have lots of secrets.

-NRS has told us that one former cyborg may remain human this time and vice versa. Considering that there were only three whole cyborgs (plus Kabal and Jax relying on technology), Smoke should now come back as human once and for all.

-Noob-Smoke Tag Team can be back!

Storyline Ideas & Smoke Pictures (Coming up after the votes, see page 9 and vote) Scorpion is gold Smoke is silver Both rely in technique Scorpion is pop Smoke is underground Scorpion is the fire Smoke is the smoke Both are ninjas with nothing to lose Discussion!
RazorsEdge701
01/10/2011 02:43 AM (UTC)
I've always liked Cyborg Smoke best. He's my favorite of the three cyborgs, in fact. I liked his indigo color and how had the most backstory, being the only one who didn't want to be a cyborg and the first one to try to regain his soul. Cyrax kinda stole his thunder in that respect in MK4 and DA, but I still think that the whole "captured and changed against his will" aspect is the whole thing that makes Smoke interesting as a character and if he never gets converted, it doesn't really give him much to do for the rest of MK3's story other than tag along with Sub-Zero and play sidekick.

I really don't see why Smoke fans act like it has to be one or the other. This game is really an opportunity to have BOTH versions of Smoke playable, so everybody can win.
Zmoke
01/10/2011 02:56 AM (UTC)
Basically the point is that Human Smoke has always been the one left behind ever since Cyborg Smoke made his debut. There has been this Demon Smoke but he really isn't the same. I'm okay with it if they'll decide to make an alternate cyber costume for Smoke but this time the Human Ninja form should be his primary, even if it's only about this one game. As the polls seem to indicate, that would also be what the majority of players demand, too.
RazorsEdge701
01/10/2011 03:03 AM (UTC)
Well the version of Smoke that shows up first in the game, during the MK2 part of the story, will of course be the human version. So Human Smoke should certainly be the primary costume or, if they're separate characters, the initially playable version.

But ideally, playing through story mode and getting to the part where he's automated should unlock Cyber-Smoke as a hidden character.
Zmoke
01/10/2011 03:16 AM (UTC)
Maybe the Smokes could be separated like in Smallville's season 8 (spoilers); Davis Bloome separated from his Kryptonian persona, Doomsday. If this was to happen, Smokes should then differ greatly, human being in the Forces of Light and cyborg in the Forces of Evil. Something like Yin and Yang. Just an idea.Unless Cyborg Smoke and Human Smoke will be radically different, I'm not sure if it's a good decision of NSR to give them separate character slots. Otherwise, why not.
Tekunin_General
About Me

Twitter~Facebook~Youtube~~~~~PSN: Casselman/LockUpYourBones
01/10/2011 03:18 AM (UTC)
What always gets me, even though you kinda touched upon it. next to none of the die hard smoke fans even know how NRS perceives him.

Check the MKD Kollectors edition character bio card for smoke and ul find This

Steve Beran: "We brought Smoke back for deception just because people have been asking about him for a while now. Its funny because alot of fans like the ninja version and alot of fans like the robot version so we thought it would be a good idea to bring back both."

Boon; "Every one of our characters in deception kinda has 2 costumes so for Smoke we decided we'd have a normal ninja like people had seen before in Mortal Kombat 2, and also his MK3 persona which is kinda like the Cyber Ninja."

--

theres not 3 versions (although its 3 distinct appearances). But this elemental version we seen in MKD/MKA is really the Ninja version or at least their take on it at the time.

They dont say "Human Smoke", they say "Ninja Smoke". So even if ninja smoke is confirmed I wouldnt rest easy until we see him.

Im not putting him down at all, Personally I love playing as any version of Smoke in UMK3 and I for gameplay I preferr the Ninja version. Storywise however I am gonna have to say I feel A Cyborg Smoke will fit better this time around.

Lets just say things go paralell to last time in terms of Cyborg evolution with plot. Sektor goes Evil, Cyrax regains his humanity and is mr.good. I feel Smoke is a really interesting and healthy stage between where fans of both good and evil characters will love to jump on this character.

But in closing, its not my position to stomp on another character for what I want, I have what I want with Sektor and Ive never been happier. i only wish the same for Smoke fans. I CAN tell you I will bet Smoke will be a badass in this game regardless.

-Casselman
RazorsEdge701
01/10/2011 03:23 AM (UTC)
Somehow splitting them in two would be counterintuitive since the entire reason Smoke's story is so interesting is because of his being trapped as a cyborg against his will, and his struggle to become human again.

It's like...the whole point of a story is something bad has to happen to the character, they go through troubles and hard times...and then at the end, they get past it and things get better.

You can't skip the bad stuff or make it so it never happened, because then you don't have a journey, you don't have a story.
Tekunin_General
About Me

01/10/2011 03:26 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Somehow splitting them in two would be counterintuitive since the entire reason Smoke's story is so interesting is because of his being trapped as a cyborg against his will, and his struggle to become human again.

It's like...the whole point of a story is something bad has to happen to the character, they go through troubles and hard times...and then at the end, they get past it and things get better.

You can't skip the bad stuff or make it so it never happened, because then you don't have a journey, you don't have a story.

Exactly, he is much better with the struggles weve seen him face. Damn man, you should write a book... grin
Zmoke
01/10/2011 03:36 AM (UTC)
You both have brought some good points of view there but the reasons why he should skip the automation now (at least temporarily) is story-wise because Raiden should make such skips happen if he is ever to prevent Armageddon and media-wise because NRS told us one cyborg would now be human and vice versa.I have actually watched the MKD biography, which was interesting. I for one wasn't involved in the forums back then though, there must have been some other big Smoke fans back then around.One thing also why this Human Ninja should get a chance is because he has never been really introduced. When Smoke turns into cyborg, all that is going through his head is how can he reverse it and he becomes evil. But Human Ninja is all different being in the good side and Lin Kuei. Then again, these may base on opinions as well, though. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Smoke never succeeded in turning back human. Now in Mortal Kombat (9) he gets the chance for that.
Devan
01/10/2011 03:40 AM (UTC)
I seriously prefer Human Smoke he was my 2nd fave until he was made a Cyborg! In Trilogy I rarely picked Cyborg!
RazorsEdge701
01/10/2011 03:43 AM (UTC)
Actually, what Ed said was someone might be a cyborg who wasn't one before, He never said one of the three cyborgs might NOT become one this time. And besides, that was just a random example of the kinds of changes that MIGHT happen. It's looking a great deal now like there's not going to be any surprise fourth cyborg and he was just stirring shit up and making people speculate.

He's also said in more recent interviews that they're treating this game as a chance to tell the story of the first three games in more detail than they could in the old days, implying that it's not actually going to be as different as we thought (for instance, we now know for sure that "Older Sub-Zero dies, Younger SZ takes his place" still happens just the way it did the first time, whereas before, there was speculation that the Older Bro might stay alive.)

There will still be surprises and things Raiden changes, but mostly it's a case of characters who died last time not dying this time or vice versa. Maybe Kung Lao will beat Shao Kahn this time instead of Liu Kang. But it's unlikely Raiden would interfere in the Lin Kuei automation because what they're up to really has nothing to do with his goal of killing Shao Kahn so Shao Kahn can't win Armageddon in the future.
Tekunin_General
About Me

01/10/2011 03:49 AM (UTC)
Also, its not just like he went and got automated. Your not remmembering he was forcefully captured by the Lin Kuei for fleeing automation with subzero but was taken down and forced into it. Humanity ripped from his body.

It wasnt a choice. Not barring Raiden's knowledge doesnt butterfly effect that aspect of the plot (which im guessing it wont as its a characters origin), we will see him flee as a human at one point and get captured.
Zmoke
01/10/2011 03:53 AM (UTC)
I wasn't aware of the latest interviews regarding to the plot really, interesting. But if NRS cares what the fans want they should nevertheless give us Smoke with a human ninja costume as primary. Cyborg could be alternate and play a bigger role in the up-coming games perhaps.I was fully aware of Smoke's escape try in fact.I apologize for the inevitable typos, I'm staying up late because it's vacation for me now. I'll go to sleep soon though, I've been postponing that for a while now.
Tekunin_General
About Me

01/10/2011 03:58 AM (UTC)
Well to have both would require (for a logical part), 2 different movesets, voices and likely fatalities making it 2 different characters alltogether.

I think fans of Kano, Baraka, Rain, Sheeva and Liu Kang should all get closure and have thos characters finally confirmed before we go and add another version of a character thats already included.

I like the idea though, Would be nice
RazorsEdge701
01/10/2011 04:05 AM (UTC)
It's not an MK game without hidden characters. It'd be absurd to think that the 26 on the select screen and the bosses are all we're getting before DLC and that's it. And they've made bigger rosters than this one with less dev time anyway, they've got plenty of leeway for the true roster to break 30.

Besides, we already know from the leaked voice clips that they took the time to make a human version of Sektor. Now, why just Sektor? Surely if they did him, they'd do two versions of Cyrax and two versions of Smoke too. Sektor as a human isn't anything special, he's the cyberninja who wants to be human the least!
Zmoke
01/10/2011 04:08 AM (UTC)
@Casselman: That's true. Since it is certain that not all 2d characters will be in the game and there are only scantily remaining (estimated) character slots left yet still many classic characters out there, it is unlikely for us to see two separate Smokes in this game. Yeah, the idea of the evil cyborg Smoke haunting the human ninja Smoke would be intriguing. Evil Smoke would be a soulless avatar of evil and Good Smoke would be the Thunder God's ally. @RazorsEdge701: If this game is really going back to its roots, yes it surely should have some secret characters. Of course they spend some of their time in the possibly two extra characters (Kratos and Clayton Carmine?) despite the fact that they say they don't count. But that is true, we are likely see some more action from Human Smoke in Story mode. I just hope NRS won't go the easy way out and simply pallette swap Human Smoke from for example the Retro Ninja DLC costumes. A small smoke cloud would be in place too.
Tekunin_General
About Me

01/10/2011 04:10 AM (UTC)
Yea I would think the human voiceclip would jsut be for story mode. Im kinda biting my tongue so we will find out.
RazorsEdge701
01/10/2011 04:15 AM (UTC)
Casselman Wrote:
Yea I would think the human voiceclip would jsut be for story mode. Im kinda biting my tongue so we will find out.

I'm 100% of the belief that every single leaked voice clip was a fight intro or mid-match taunt. Which would mean that every character in there is a character who has gameplay.
Why would Smoke need a seperate moveset at all?
It's not like He's Cyrax or Sektor or anything all you need is to mechanize his voice and find a better intro quote.

Sektor: I will show no mercy!
Cyrax: Safeties Disabled, Kombat Enabled!
Smoke: Where there is Smoke there is fire!
Cyrax: LOL WUT?
Tekunin_General
About Me

01/10/2011 04:20 AM (UTC)
Yes I know... Thats the part that scares me. I dont want a human Sektor. I like all of his persona being behind that red mask. PArt of me thinks once I see his face, itl all change.
Zmoke
01/10/2011 04:19 AM (UTC)
The intro taunt of Smoke sounded already like it would fit for both human and cyborg forms, but still more fitting for cyborg Smoke for sounding that sinister.
Zmoke
01/10/2011 04:21 AM (UTC)
@Casselman: he might have a full mask in his human form if there will be one just as he has in some fan art pictures. EDIT: The leaked voice clips can be listened via this link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kGIafnIzc
annilation
About Me

I feel so alone, gonna end up a Big ole pile of them bones.

01/10/2011 04:21 AM (UTC)
I really hope they get more in depth with smoke I really like smoke I started liking him in the MKD era figuring out what smoke was about intrigued me. Then around 2005 I got mk trilogy when I was eleven all I did was use smoke.
I was very addicted to mk lol.( still am ) But if he's in I will explode it will be a tear jerker jk but if he's not I'll just use sektor or cyrax as a replacement. If he is as cassleman said I hope he's bad ass
Tekunin_General
About Me

01/10/2011 04:26 AM (UTC)
Zmoke Wrote:
@Casselman: he might have a full mask in his human form if there will be one just as he has in some fan art pictures.

I Hope so if that be the case. Im just kinda treating this like a mistress and turn my head and pretend I dont see it and hope for the best. lol

MK fan at his best.
RazorsEdge701
01/10/2011 04:27 AM (UTC)
Zmoke Wrote:
The intro taunt of Smoke sounded already like it would fit for both human and cyborg forms, but still more fitting for cyborg Smoke for sounding that sinister.

The thing is all the cyborg voices sound electronic. That's how you can tell the difference between regular Sektor and human Sektor, for instance.

And the Smoke voice clip had no filter, it sounds human.

Now...maybe they have some way of changing the voices with the costumes so the human versions can just be alt costumes instead of whole characters...but I doubt it's possible to program alts to have unique properties, they're just skins. And besides, then human Sektor would be shooting missiles out of his human chest, which would just look silly.

So I'm betting that the way the game'll be is they'll be seperate, and you'll have Cyborg Sektor, Cyborg Cyrax, and Human Smoke on the select screen, and you'll unlock Human Sektor, Human Cyrax, and Cyborg Smoke as hidden characters.
Pages: 13
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.