Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

What's Next?
Mortal Kombat 11 (80%)
MK Action-Adventure (10%)
MK HD Re-release (2.8%)
WWE Immortals (0%)
MK Krossover (2.8%)
MK Special Forces (2.8%)
Other (1.4%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • April 18th, 2018
    DC Announces Injustice vs He-Man [Read On]
  • April 16th, 2018
    Classic Superman Brings Golden Age to Injustice 2 Mobile [Read On]
  • March 31st, 2018
    Confirmed Ready Player One MK Cameos [Read On]
  • March 20th, 2018
    Mortal Kombat Coming to Netflix [Read On]
  • February 28th, 2018
    Best Buy Lists Injustice 2 Legendary Edition [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 2

]{0MBATPosted: 03/15/2011 09:06 AMStatus ::
Digital series director reveals photo of Baraka!

Kevin Tancharoen, director of the upcoming live action Mortal Kombat digital series, has just revealed a photo of Baraka via his Twitter account:

Baraka in the upcoming digital series

At first, Kevin playfully teased, "Hmmm. TeppanYaki chef?", but then acknowledged that another user who had guessed "Tarkatan?" was actually correct.

There are some noticeable visual differences between this interpretation of Baraka and the one shown in the trailer. For instance, the blades have a rusty red appearance to them. It is unknown at this moment if Baraka's storyline will resemble the one from the games, in which he comes from a nomadic race of human/demon hybrids known as Tarkatans, or if it will follow what was shown to us in the Rebirth trailer [full story], in which the mad Dr. Allen Zane filed his teeth and implanted blades into his own arms. It is also unknown at this point if Lateef Crowder, who played Baraka in the Rebirth trailer, will be reprising his role in the digital series.

A big thanks to Joe-Von-Zombie for the word on this update. Keep following Mortal Kombat Online here or on Twitter @MK_Online for the latest details on the digital series and all things Mortal Kombat-related!

Sweetre15Posted: 03/15/2011 09:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::1475
Nationality::United States
RE: Digital series director reveals photo of Baraka!

Of course he'll be Tarkatan when he looks like that...Emo plastic surgeon's aren't furry like that lol.

I like the look of it overall but I'm still wondering if they're going to touch up on it in post with CGI because this looks like a lot of practical effects and while that's not a bad thing some might criticize that about the way they are using their budget or something like that when the episode comes out.

Fine with me though since Dr.Zane is officially dead and gone.

QueenSindel(TheBitch)Posted: 03/15/2011 09:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::15452

JEEPERS CREEPERS!!!

subzero823Posted: 03/15/2011 10:06 AMStatus ::

Visits::1866

"B..B... Baby...Ruuuuth!"
An interesting look. Doesn't reveal much but i guess it's already better than Annihalation Baraka. Teeth should be sharp and pointed though, right? Going watch the Goonies now...

King_KintaroPosted: 03/15/2011 10:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::938

Sweetre15 Wrote:
Of course he'll be Tarkatan when he looks like that...Emo plastic surgeon's aren't furry like that lol.

I like the look of it overall but I'm still wondering if they're going to touch up on it in post with CGI because this looks like a lot of practical effects and while that's not a bad thing some might criticize that about the way they are using their budget or something like that when the episode comes out.

Fine with me though since Dr.Zane is officially dead and gone.

I was just thinking the same exact thing. Glad Dr. Zane is gone lol. I'm sure it will be touched up with CGI, and when it does it's gonna look awesome. I'm actually starting to get really excited about this.

GrimmPosted: 03/15/2011 10:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::12940

I'm quite disappointed that they changed up his look from the trailer. I was looking forward to more of what I saw from him. Oh well, hopefully they still do Baraka some justice.

Kill3rInstinctPosted: 03/15/2011 10:53 AMStatus ::

Visits::555

Grimm Wrote:
I'm quite disappointed that they changed up his look from the trailer. I was looking forward to more of what I saw from him. Oh well, hopefully they still do Baraka some justice.
Uh, disappointed that they're actually portraying Baraka that's closer to the games? You're among the minority that wants a psycho surgeon. I'm glad they're sticking closer to canon.

lordbillyPosted: 03/15/2011 11:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::50

Surgeon Baraka was the stupidest thing ever, I'm glad they decided to give us a REAL baraka. His sharp teeth are missing though...

King_KintaroPosted: 03/15/2011 11:46 AMStatus ::

Visits::938

i would assume the teeth will be a CGI touch up.

ChromePosted: 03/15/2011 01:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::16001
Nationality::Hungary

Or retractable.

Sig1 photo Chrome-sig_zps5a62b1b1.jpg
GodofRandomPosted: 03/15/2011 02:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::7

I don't know about that. The more "realism" behind each character (Reptile's disease, Baraka being a plastic surgeon) is what drew me to Rebirth in the first place. I don't see why they're changing everything from the Rebirth video. This is starting to turn to be just an average adaptation of the games instead of the re-imagining that Rebirth originally proposed.

MyQueenSindelPosted: 03/15/2011 02:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::6147

Where are his sharp teeth...

SiangPosted: 03/15/2011 02:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::3125
Nationality::Australia

Even without his sharp teeth this is a vast improvement on the Annihilation outfit.. even without CGI.. he looks terrifying and ghoulish and barbaric.. perfect.

I too liked the alternative take Rebirth film gave them.. unfortunately we were in the minority, so need to accept it just won't happen..

blissted78Posted: 03/15/2011 03:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::87

I'm iffy about Baraka. I think he looked his best in MK2 the video game. What's with the fuzzy cufflinks there?! That doesn't seem very threatening. And I'm sure they'll leave his teeth as is. Either that, or the guy in the costume has some pretty messed up teeth! But they look like dentures to me. Who knows really...

TylerDurdenPosted: 03/15/2011 03:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::674

This series looks like it's going to be different from Rebirth and become more a happy medium between full realistic and the mysticysm from the games. And to be honest, while a true adaptation of the games would be cool, it would be very difficult to pull off without it looking hokey. Annihilation is a clear example of that.

No, this looks like it will be awesome.

Also check out Baraka's chin. Notice the vertical scar down the middle? Much like the Baraka from MK Gold. Perhaps he's had a run in with Kung Lao? Or even this might not be Baraka at all and instead one of the Tarkatan soldiers.

Either way, KT is obviously a fan of the series. I'm really liking the direction this is going, just wish pics and info were more frequent!

Keep it up sir, you're doing a fantastic job.

Creates a nice, thick, rich lather...kinda like rabies
Jct1984Posted: 03/15/2011 04:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::100

It's nice to see that perhaps the most liked character of the MK universe is the first to be raped. Perhaps they picked Baraka because if we can except him as a sergeon, then they feel they can do whatever they want with the rest of the MK roster.
MK Rebirth should be renamed MK Rapeality.

Spider804Posted: 03/15/2011 04:58 PMStatus ::

Visits::6938

Wait, I do like Baraka, but how is he the most liked character in the series?

SiangPosted: 03/15/2011 05:01 PMStatus ::

Jct.. quit spamming..
if you see this image, it is the Tarkatan.. if you keep on attacking every topic with your dated, ill informed posts.. people will just start ignoring you

Sweetre15Posted: 03/15/2011 05:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::1475

Especially since Humans are big furry creatures like the character depicted in the picture lol.

Jct1984Posted: 03/15/2011 05:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::100

Sorry, just having my say.
I just feel that they are going to once again mess up MK which I have always held deep to my heart. If as they are saying that they make a series which is closely based to the original concept then I'll be overjoyed and the makers should be supported in what must be a difficult project to give to the money making monkeys of Hollywood, but if it's like the trailer then I feel I may just leave MK alone for the next gen to pick up. Afterall I'm 26 now and was there when MK started all those years ago. Besides the concept of a forum is to be able to give your say. I have not attacked any other users and have used proper and unoffensive words, so why not. If you love something for so long, you to would be also be concerned (that's not a attack). Besides calling it MK Rapealities makes me smile. Perhaps like a unmature child, but still. Peace. No need to be threatened, just because I think differently. P.S. I did not say Baraka is the most liked, but next to Scorpion/Sub-zero e.t.c. he is very popular.

SiangPosted: 03/15/2011 05:38 PMStatus ::

I'm just stating that two topics in an hour plus an unrelated comment on this thread goes against forum etiquette..

I'm not saying you are attacking anyone.
This Baraka is very different Dr. Zane.. Scorpion photo was ninja scorpion

mkreptile8860Posted: 03/15/2011 05:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::1494

looks pretty sick

DelarathonPosted: 03/15/2011 06:26 PMStatus ::

Visits::434

Releasing this still was probably the best thing that KT could have done for his series.

A lot of people either glanced over the fact (or flat out refused to believe, given their nerd-rage) that Tancharoen said in his follow-up interview shortly after Rebirth hit the net that, if given more time and a larger budget, everything we saw would be closer to the game's universe, including Baraka and Reptile. Yet to this day we still have people speculating if Kitana will be a street-walker and Raiden a drug dealer... sigh...

Anyway, it's nice that we get a glimpse that one of the biggest problems we Mortal Kombat geezers had with the short has been resolved. And personally, I like the fur; I think it gives the impression of savagery and barbarism, which is what the Tarkatans are all about.

SiangPosted: 03/15/2011 06:42 PMStatus ::

Agreed.. the Tarkatans never seemed like the kind of race to wax.. which apparently they did in MK: Annihilation (skin too smooth)

Spider804Posted: 03/15/2011 07:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::6938

And now we know Baraka does in fact have hair.

Page of 2

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.