whats the difference between mk3 and umk3?
posted07/03/2004 02:33 AM (UTC)by
BMXRida500
About Me

can someone please explain to me the difference between mk3 and umk3 for snes? im losing sleep over it z:o lol j/k
FROST4584
06/27/2004 10:49 PM (UTC)

They are considerable differences between MK3 and UMK3 in general.

Stages- there are a few new stages like Jade's area, Scorpions layer, bridge area and a few more.

New characters- New character Ermac. Returning Characters like Scorpion, Reptile, Mileena, and more

moves- I haven't playedpast MKs in a while since MK: DA came out, but I am sure that some moves from some MK3 characters have been given newmoves like styker's gun move.

Better / harder AI. UMK3 was far harder than MK3. The AI wouldn't blindly walk into you. It would keep its distance and wait for you to attack.

Kahn's treasures. Unlike MK3, UMK3 when you beat the game you could choose from a row of Kahn 's treasures. Here you could choose 1 mini game to play ranging from endurance matches from old school Midway classic games to fatilty demos.

Overall UMK3 expaned MK3 storyline. It was more of the 2nd act of a 3 part story.

BMXRida500
06/27/2004 11:01 PM (UTC)
thanx for clearing that up for me
Sazabi
About Me

yes

06/28/2004 02:43 AM (UTC)
i have a question.. .did they increae the game speed from mk3 to umk3?.. .i know the speed for mkt was much faster than umk's.. .
dreemernj
06/28/2004 04:02 AM (UTC)
Speed prettyy much stayed the same. In the arcade it was the same between MK3 and UMK3. There might have been variation for the home systems but nothing huge between versions for a platform. Meaning, UMK3 for snes was about the same speed as MK3 for snes.

There are also a lot of changes between MK3 and UMK3.

They added the air starters for combos, so the straight up jump kick or the jump punch to air combos were added. There were some blanket property changes like roundhouses in corners were altered, they didnt push you out as often in MK3 as in UMK3. There were various character tweaks. Kabals combos dont do nearly the damage they did in MK3. They changed the properties of Sub Zero's ice clone to make it less broken. They added popup combos for some characters, they did small things like make Cyrax's air throw add to the combo counter, they added the aforementioned riot gun for stryker, they added levels (and removed the Graveyard from the roster of levels), added characters, and just did a lot of things.

So, in all, UMK3 is very different from MK3.
MK2KungBroken
About Me
The Prophet - R.I.P. 1979-2006www.kombatnetwork.com
- Your Source for UMK3 Competition -
When something better than UMK3 comes out, I'll let you all know, because it still hasn't happened yet.
06/28/2004 05:19 AM (UTC)
Copied from a post I made on totalmk

Damage for certain characters being reduced, projectile recovery time increased for certain characters, adding the jump punch and jump kick starters for auto combos, added characters, stages, codes, hidden characters, victory rewards, computer AI is entirely different, added moves for some characters, roundhouses push you out of the corner, added combos for some characters, slight changes on certain move properties.

Here are some specifics:

Kabal combo damage reduced by about 10% total
Kabal's spin can only be done once per combo, so you can spin in air, and then spin them again as they fall.
Jax single missile has huge recharge time.
Stryker has a riot gun (added move)
Sonya and Liu Kang have pop up combos (Making Sonya even more dangerous)
Sonya's leg grab now counts as part of a combo, and does 5%-2.5% after 3 hits or more juggled instead of full damage (In MK3 HP HP JK, Leg grab 4 hits 50%, 33% in UMK3)
Sub-zero's ice clone, does not freeze an opponent if you are too close to them, and this was an ENORMOUSLY ridiculous abusable tactic in MK3 that completely drops the character's tier level down.
Kung Lao's spin collision box is entirely weak in MK3 and doesn't turn on damage protection.
Cyrax's air throw doesn't count as part of a combo and his regular throw doesn't turn on damage protection, count as part of a combo, and does far more damage in MK3. (MK3 throw, LP juggle, air throw 3 hits 43%, 3 hits 17% in UMK3 but says 33%)
Nightwolf's shoulder tackle has a slightly longer recovery time in MK3 I believe, could be my mind playing tricks on me.
Liu Kang can legitamately get his 7 hit combo after the bicycle kick in MK3 and cannot in UMK3 unless you are completely on top of the person, but even still I think it's blockable
Kano also has a vertical cannon ball in UMK3, which is very helpful and makes him more Blanka like.

The corner roundhouse thing makes combos like 5 roundhouses in one from Kabal possible which is INsane. aa RH spin, RH, RH, RH, RH, LK = 100%

There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting, but that's most of it.

Matt
pantsmonkey
06/28/2004 06:47 AM (UTC)
The corner roundhouse thing makes combos like 5 roundhouses in one from Kabal possible which is INsane. aa RH spin, RH, RH, RH, RH, LK = 100% ?????

What is that above please explain matty ?

Kabal is my bitch ive got to record some 2 on 2 kombat tonite and host it somewhere. Im often getting flawless against the boys on my first kabal.

is there any reasonably easy high % kombos or tactics for kabal ? ive checked out lexs gear as well by the way
MK2KungBroken
About Me
When something better than UMK3 comes out, I'll let you all know, because it still hasn't happened yet.
06/28/2004 11:50 AM (UTC)
If you are near the corner, his triple jump kick fireball combo with his auto combo is in the 70%'s. On just about anyone you can do his relaunch combo, just get the timing down for it. The roundhouse thing is that in MK3s roundhouses don't ever push you out of the corner, so you can get absurd amounts of roundhouses with Kabal and shit.

Here's a 69% combo in game of me playing against this guy Sheng Long is Back on Kaillera who claims to be trained by this mystery player who is the best in the world...:

Kabal abuses Smoke's Hit Box

Matt
Anyanka
About Me

PSN - ItMustBeBunnies7

06/28/2004 01:23 PM (UTC)
The Graveyard is still in, it's The Bank that was removed.

Besides what everyone has mentioned the presentation is also entirely changed. New title screen, new menus, new introduction text, the whole game has a different look and feel.
BMXRida500
06/28/2004 06:18 PM (UTC)
Thanks guys for clearing all that up for me. But I have one last question. Do you think I should purchase both MK3 AND UMK3? Or just UMK3?
dreemernj
06/28/2004 10:07 PM (UTC)
The games are different enough that they provide unique gameplay experiences. I really consider UMK3 a sequel to MK3 so I still like to play both from time to time.
BMXRida500
06/28/2004 10:16 PM (UTC)
So i should buy both then? Okay thanks for all your opinions guys they really helps me alot.
MK2KungBroken
About Me
06/28/2004 10:37 PM (UTC)
Yeah get both.

Matt
BMXRida500
07/03/2004 02:33 AM (UTC)
close this thread please
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.