Does NRS hate Kitana? (spoilers)
Yeah, this has been kinda bugging me for a while... but the way Kitana's overall story was handled just bugged me. Here's an exerpt from a review I've been working on.

"Having her learn the truth during MK2 weakens her story. Due to her importance during these events and her significant role as Shao Kahn’s adoptive daughter and assassin, I kinda saw Kitana as the main heroine of this story opposite her love interest Liu Kang, the main hero. She learned the truth of her past, broke away from her current life, and helped fight against the man who had took it away from her and came away triumphant with her mother back and alive, her realm restored. She took control of her life and walked away a stronger character as a result. Here, the truth is handed to her on a plate and she becomes a damsel-in-distress. In fact, both Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung state to her face just how worthless she is and Sindel renounces her as her daughter (admittedly while brainwashed) and to top it off, she is killed by her own mother simply so Liu Kang can have a viable reason to no longer follow Raiden. It’s like any horrible thing they could’ve done to Kitana they did. Ouch. NRS obviously hates this poor girl and considering she’s my favorite female, you have offended me, NRS."

Yeah, I mean Kitana always had a lot of crap on her plate, but honestly, the way Kitana was treated in the story just pissed me off.. does NRS ENJOY making this poor girl suffer? Instead of facing her demons and emerging triumphant, Kitana is offed by her own mother, never even gets the chance to pay Shao Kahn back for his betrayal and is now forced to serve Quan Chi. The poor girl... Kitana just can't catch a break, can she?
Spider804
05/19/2011 04:08 AM (UTC)
I think the better question is, "Does NRS hate all of their characters that aren't Quan Chi?"
But in all seriousness, you make very good points.
RazorsEdge701
05/19/2011 04:11 AM (UTC)
Don't forget her arcade ending. And that this is the second time she's got one about forming a shitty "girl power team", third in a row if you count the fact that every Edenian refugee was depicted as a female ninja in MKvsDCU.
Cronus~TimeWave
She's just one of those characters who can never catch a break. It reminds me of her Unchained ending, where she falls to her knees after Blaze breaks the news that "LOLz, shit is goin' to get real soon, lolbaiz".
Shesgotclaws
No, they just wanted to change the storyline. Liu Kang and Kitana used to be important major players in the ongoing storyline, now they are not, they're dead.
Shesgotclaws Wrote:
No, they just wanted to change the storyline. Liu Kang and Kitana used to be important major players in the ongoing storyline, now they are not, they're dead.

Which is stupid.. if you're gonna kill them, fine... but give them GRAND deaths like heroes... the attitude of killing off characters for nothing more than shock value will always be WASTEFUL.
Spider804
05/19/2011 04:14 AM (UTC)
I really disliked Liu Kang getting killed again, especially when he became more than just Prototypical Hero.
Cronus~TimeWave
05/19/2011 04:23 AM (UTC)
Spider804 Wrote:
I really disliked Liu Kang getting killed again, especially when he became more than just Prototypical Hero.
Spider804 Wrote:

I'm crossing my fingers that Liu Kang is not dead, but just severely burned. Oh, one can wish...one can wish.
Spider804
05/19/2011 04:24 AM (UTC)
He'll need an eye patch if he lives, that's for sure...What is it with NRS and fucking up eyes? Kano, Sub-Zero, Kenshi, Kabal, and now Liu Kang? Seriously, what gives?
RazorsEdge701
05/19/2011 04:24 AM (UTC)
I'd kinda prefer dead over one-eyed and covered in full-body scars.
Spider804
05/19/2011 04:27 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

In spite of my previous post, I would agree.
One more I just remebered, Daegon.
Really, what the fuck is up with them and scaring people's eyes?
Yeah, but either we're kinda gonna be getting Zombie Liu Kang version 2.0.

Seriously, why is it that every game these days feel that they have to add zombies to it? Call of Duty and Red Dead Redemption have them as DLC and zombies have no business in either of those games! Simple, trying to jump on the zombie bandwagon that Left 4 Dead started.
Spider804
05/19/2011 04:42 AM (UTC)
Pardon my ignorance, but didn't stuff happen after Zombie Liu Kang 1.0?
On the other hand, I did like Zombie Kombat mode in Test Your Luck, simply because they explode at the end. tongue Good times.
Sorry for offtopicness.
Rockchalk5477
05/19/2011 04:44 AM (UTC)
Spider804 Wrote:

NRS likes eye scream, a lot. smile You make a good point, though. Every other character has damaged eyes.

Anyways, I agree she could have received a much more notable death than having some pink aura ball drain her soul. That was just dumb. Also, I do agree they have not even remotely developed her in years. Pretty disappointing.
T-rex
About Me

05/19/2011 04:44 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

Eh,throw a T4 Jin hoodie on him,cover him in bandages,make him all badass and grizzled and pissed off at Raiden,and you've got a winner.
RazorsEdge701
05/19/2011 04:47 AM (UTC)
I liked the original Zombie Liu Kang. I know that puts me in a very small minority, but I just don't think people appreciate enough how much it brought to their stories in MKD and MKA to show just how far Raiden had fallen that he'd desecrate the corpse of his most devoted follower, and that Liu's spirit was even out there and had to deal with the guilt or sense of responsibility of knowing what his own body was out there doing, murdering innocents with the skills he'd spent his life honing for peace and defense.

Of course you'll get none of that if it's just "mind controlled by Quan Chi, set free later."

But at least if Liu's one more body added to Shinnok's army, then the way I see it, that's one more chance I have to hope and pray that the next game will be about yet another time traveller undoing everything MK9 cocked up because the odds are simply too overwhelming otherwise and Shinnok can't be beaten by anything but another reboot. But that's me, I just do not like a single thing this new universe brings to the table and am desperate for anything that will scrub it away and restore the old canon.

Plus, third degree burns aren't a good look for anybody but Kabal.
Spider804
05/19/2011 04:48 AM (UTC)
Rockchalk5477 Wrote:
Spider804 Wrote:

NRS likes eye scream, a lot. smile You make a good point, though. Every other character has damaged eyes.

Yep, certainly doesn't help that's how Reptile starts his X-Ray, either. tongue @Razor: I liked original Zombie Liu for the same reasons too. And yes, that shit only looks good on Kabal. tongue
LucaTurilli
05/19/2011 05:10 AM (UTC)
I just hope she gets a better costume and a prettier face in the next game.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
05/19/2011 05:29 AM (UTC)
They just don't know what to do with her anymore. She went from 'independent liberated warrior princess" to "Charlie's Angels stand-in/Damsel".
J-spit
About Me
Twilight Muthafuckin' Sparkle

Sig by TheCypher
05/19/2011 05:43 AM (UTC)
They may hate her life, but they damn sure improved her gameplay from MK vs DCU to MK9.

Her ending was SOOOOOO Charlie's Angels. wtf?
Spider804
05/19/2011 05:45 AM (UTC)
Charlie's Angels wannabe.
Sorry, everyone else was doing it, I just wanted to be part of the gang. lol
LadyScarlet
05/19/2011 06:15 AM (UTC)
ProudNintendofan Wrote:
Yeah, this has been kinda bugging me for a while... but the way Kitana's overall story was handled just bugged me. Here's an exerpt from a review I've been working on.

"Having her learn the truth during MK2 weakens her story. Due to her importance during these events and her significant role as Shao Kahn’s adoptive daughter and assassin, I kinda saw Kitana as the main heroine of this story opposite her love interest Liu Kang, the main hero. She learned the truth of her past, broke away from her current life, and helped fight against the man who had took it away from her and came away triumphant with her mother back and alive, her realm restored. She took control of her life and walked away a stronger character as a result. Here, the truth is handed to her on a plate and she becomes a damsel-in-distress. In fact, both Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung state to her face just how worthless she is and Sindel renounces her as her daughter (admittedly while brainwashed) and to top it off, she is killed by her own mother simply so Liu Kang can have a viable reason to no longer follow Raiden. It’s like any horrible thing they could’ve done to Kitana they did. Ouch. NRS obviously hates this poor girl and considering she’s my favorite female, you have offended me, NRS."

Yeah, I mean Kitana always had a lot of crap on her plate, but honestly, the way Kitana was treated in the story just pissed me off.. does NRS ENJOY making this poor girl suffer? Instead of facing her demons and emerging triumphant, Kitana is offed by her own mother, never even gets the chance to pay Shao Kahn back for his betrayal and is now forced to serve Quan Chi. The poor girl... Kitana just can't catch a break, can she?

I agree, as much as I am enjoying the game, it does seems like all the characters that had stories were developed and going somewhere and then the universe decided to cock the 'FU' gun at them.
Davespy81
05/19/2011 08:01 AM (UTC)
They also gave her terribly boring fatalities.
Historical Favorite
05/19/2011 08:47 AM (UTC)
Yes, they hate her. That's why she's a playable character in the game and has a story mode chapter when half the roster doesn't. I'm pretty sure there's a difference between "NRS hates Kitana" and "NRS did not portray Kitana the way I wanted."
StrangeShoeNL
05/19/2011 09:55 AM (UTC)
yes, they hate every character in the game
Pages: 6
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.