East Coast Throwdown 3 - major tourney LIVE on stream
posted06/28/2011 05:41 PM (UTC)by
Nephrite
About Me

Well, hello hello!

It is time for another major fighting game tournament and of course MK2011 is featured!

Tournament details:

MK ENTRIES: 100+ players divided into 4 pools

SCHEDULE: Saturday 25th- pool stage; Sunday 26th- Top8

START TIME: pool play (for pools 1 & 2) starts between 2 and 2.30 PM local time and then continues between 6 and 6.30 PM local time for pools 3 & 4

SPECIAL NOTES: Kratos & Skarlet banned

STREAM: Pool stage (MK exclusive) * this will be played today (Saturday 25th)

* for tomorrow's (Sunday 26th) Top8 live stream click here (MK2011 Top8 starts at 2 PM local time).

::: ::: ::: ::: :::

Michaelangelo is in the house, will his Kabal win 3rd straight tourney in a row? Watch and see!

Our very own forum member TheDarkPassenger is participating as well and if I did my research right, he'll be in action later on today, when pools 3 & 4 kick off. I'll leave it to him to reveal his "screen name" in this thread, some of us already know under what name he'll be playing. wink

Best of luck to all participants, especially to our fellow MKO member!

Tune in for MK and hype it up! glasses
MKIceVsFire
About Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV9tftd6kzw&feature=g-all-u

06/25/2011 05:09 PM (UTC)
WHO WATCHES THIS??????????????????????????????? REALLY
Nephrite
06/25/2011 05:15 PM (UTC)
MKIceVsFire Wrote:

I do.
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
06/25/2011 05:15 PM (UTC)
MK9 is about to start.

We're rooting for ya, DarkPassenger. smile
Nephrite
06/25/2011 05:17 PM (UTC)
TemperaryUserName Wrote:
MK9 is about to start.

We're rooting for ya, DarkPassenger. smile

He'll be in action later on today. I won't be able to watch the first part (pools 1& 2) in its entirety, but I'll be back in time for pools 3 & 4 and our Dark Passenger!

glasses
superbn0va
06/25/2011 05:26 PM (UTC)
MKIceVsFire Wrote:

pp that are down for tournament play. if you want to be part of an tournament u should watch this, besides that its MK being played by high skilled players. why wanna mis that?

go dark passanger!
EmperorKahn
06/25/2011 05:39 PM (UTC)
Thanks for the news. Do you think any of the nrs team will be there and answer questions?
Nephrite
06/25/2011 05:56 PM (UTC)
EmperorKahn Wrote:
Thanks for the news. Do you think any of the nrs team will be there and answer questions?

Not sure, it's possible though. They have been to some of the previous tourneys and considering this one is a major one, there's chance some of them show up.

Maybe they posted something on their Twitter accounts.

EDIT: They're a bit behind the schedule. I gotta go out, I'll be back for pools 3 & 4 (if anyone cares lol).
Nephrite
06/25/2011 10:52 PM (UTC)
I apologize for double posting, but I just came back from being out and it seems like the channel to which the first link leads to in the original post is currently offline, meaning no MK pools live stream. My apologies for that.

It seems we'll only get to watch the finals live on Sunday.

Sorry guys. sad
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
06/25/2011 10:54 PM (UTC)
This tournament is turning out to be a disaster. They had more people than expected, and there have outages. They haven't even conducted any of the MK brackets yet.

Really hope things look brighter tonight and tomorrow.
Nephrite
06/25/2011 11:03 PM (UTC)
^ Damn!

I found a live stream via phone:

Not the best quality, but hey...
Blender
06/26/2011 07:39 PM (UTC)
Michaelangelo def. Chris G 3-1 = Grand Finals.
Nephrite
06/26/2011 07:45 PM (UTC)
^ Yes he does! Great games in Top8, especially the grand finals.

Congrats, Michaelangleo! 3 tourneys won in a row!

Top 3:

1) Michaelangelo (Kabal)
2) ChrisG (Reptile)
3) REO (Reptile)

Other interesting notes:

- there's a bug with Reptile's forceball apparently, it turns invisible (if I caught it right on the stream)
- there was also a flood of Reptile players
- Brady saying he'll play with Kung Lao at Evo and he'll go back to Sub-Zero after Evo (he also said he believes Kung Lao is #1 on tier list at the moment)
- there are also bugs with some of the X-rays that have armor, but it does not activate on the first frame always (for example: Jax's X-ray)
- funniest thing of all, a random bug enables characters to hit Johnny out of his X-ray which is a parry lol

Waiting for our DarkPassanger to share his experience with us, he was at the tourney.
totheark
06/26/2011 07:48 PM (UTC)
Schedule from TeamSpooky:

"Finals will start at 2:00pm Sunday. Here is the schedule. -MK9 top 8 starting at 2:00pm-MvC3 top 8 when MK9 finishes by 3:30pm - 4:00pm-UMK3 Grand Finals start between 6:30pm - 7:00pm"

Sorry, but does he mean Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3?!
ErmaSco
06/26/2011 07:49 PM (UTC)
superbn0va Wrote:
MKIceVsFire Wrote:

pp that are down for tournament play. if you want to be part of an tournament u should watch this, besides that its MK being played by high skilled players. why wanna mis that?

go dark passanger!

You call that high level of playing ?? damn with the exception of Angelo , they all sucked.

Nephrite
06/26/2011 07:55 PM (UTC)
totheark Wrote:

Yes. There is a small Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 tourney going on as well. smile
totheark
06/26/2011 08:01 PM (UTC)
Nephrite Wrote:
totheark Wrote:

Yes. There is a small Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 tourney going on as well. smile

wow
KlTANA
About Me

06/26/2011 09:45 PM (UTC)
MKIceVsFire Wrote:

Anybody and everybody who actually plays MK for the gameplay over the fact that Smoke is gay.

Didn't know Passenger was in attendance... Hope he did well, He's a nice MKO forum member.

Really enjoyed seeing that money hungry doofus Tom Brady lose AGAIN, And get so salty he had to immediately display something was wrong with the game.

Great performances by REO, Chris G and of course Michaelangelo. I was also impressed with Darth Arma's Cyrax and MagnetoHalfway's Lao.

Wish REO would've ran with Cage or Quan but..... Oh well. All around, A great showing from all who attended ( Except Tom Brady )
Legendary-Scorpion
06/26/2011 11:16 PM (UTC)
I would find these more enjoyable to watch if the numbers of Kung Lao, Ermac, and Raiden dropped down considerably.
TheDarkPassenger
06/26/2011 11:36 PM (UTC)
Thanks for the support =)

The tourney, aside from the minimal setups and delays, had some great play. Michaelangelo, as always, is an all around great guy and player--his Kabal is amazing to watch. Also, REO and Chris G were playing some great Reptiles.

Some other names maybe not so familiar:

KHunter playing mostly Liu Kang--awesome play

Crazy Dominican with a really strong Kitana--Also 16bit played Kitana (got knocked out in pools, but still a good Kitana player).

I was in Pool D with Michaelangelo, LI Joe, Spencer (top 8 Kung Lao), 8bit, and others. Strong pool, but here's how my night went:

Round 1 (Win) - Opponent was DQ'd for not showing...this happened a lot because of how late our pool started--you could tell everyone was tired (those that stayed and played)

Winners Bracket Round 2 (Loss against LI Joe) - First match we played Ermac vs Ermac and I won. Second match Kung Lao (Joe) vs Ermac (Me) and he won. Point match Kung Lao (Joe) vs Liu Kang (Me) and Joe took it. The match wasn't a push over, but I was definitely really nervous and made some silly mistakes, and well, LI Joe is just a good player.

Losers Bracket Round 3 (Win against a Kano player) - Ermac vs Kano three matches. I won the first, he won the second, and I won the third in a close one.

Losers Bracket Round 4 (Win against a Kitana player) - Didn't get their name, but I won in straight matches using Ermac.

Losers Bracket Round 5 (Win against a Kung Lao player) - This is where lack of sleep is blurring my memory...I believe I won in straight matches using Liu Kang.

Losers Bracket Round 6 (Loss against a Cyrax player) - He won in straight matches. First match I used Ermac and got destroyed, the second match I used Liu Kang and a gave him a pretty good match. He played really well and eventually was the player that knocked LI Joe out of the tournament.

I think that was the order of the matches, but it was pretty late, and I had been up since 4:00AM in the morning that day (long drive), so it's all a bit fuzzy.

Great matches to everyone there (tourney and casuals)!

The tourney could have went a little smoother--I think there really needs to be more than 3-4 setups for 150 player tournament. At least they were able to get the top 8 streamed, and thanks to Storms for streaming some of the pools from his phone grin
TheDarkPassenger
06/26/2011 11:42 PM (UTC)
ErmaSco Wrote:
You call that high level of playing ?? damn with the exception of Angelo , they all sucked.

Well we can't all be Michaelangelos, REOs, etc. wink

And if you think everyone but Michaelangelo sucked, you should really consider playing in some tourneys--sounds like you would clean up.
totheark
06/27/2011 12:43 AM (UTC)
Anyone know where UMK3 will be streamed.

TeamSpooky want to be lame and not air it...
Blender
06/27/2011 12:47 AM (UTC)
Congratulations to DarkPassenger for his first major tournament (I think) against some stiff competition! Sounds like you had your hands full with those power outages. Mind telling us what that was like?
Heavy-Rain
06/27/2011 12:51 AM (UTC)
Passenger good try man. I've only ever done gamestop tourneys, small tourneys with my friends, and small very local tourneys. I know sometimes nerves get to ppl that play in tourneys because ppl are watching and talking shit sometimes. It sucks when you know that you can beat someone but you lose because you dropped an easy combo or pick a character that you haven't trained with because your overthinking the match ups and whatnot. I play a lot of ssf4. So it's taking some getting used to mk9's gameplay mechanics. Anyways I didn't know that the tourney was in nj. I'm fairly close by so I wish I could have gone. O well.
TheDarkPassenger
06/27/2011 01:09 AM (UTC)
totheark Wrote:
Anyone know where UMK3 will be streamed.

TeamSpooky want to be lame and not air it...

I've been checking, but I don't think it is being steamed :(

Blender Wrote:
Congratulations to DarkPassenger for his first major tournament (I think) against some stiff competition! Sounds like you had your hands full with those power outages. Mind telling us what that was like?

Thanks, and yes my first major =)

The power outages luckily didn't last too long, but that in combination with the amount of players just really delayed things. The MK section of the tournament was just really hectic the entire time--packed into a single corner with a ton of spectators and players.

Everyone was doing their best to help keep everything moving along once power was restored (like players going into other sections of the room and hotel to help find players who were being called to play), but in the end, the final two pools were delayed by about 4-5 hours.

All in all, it was a fun time, but it was a bit crazy at times.

Heavy-Rain Wrote:
Passenger good try man. I've only ever done gamestop tourneys, small tourneys with my friends, and small very local tourneys. I know sometimes nerves get to ppl that play in tourneys because ppl are watching and talking shit sometimes. It sucks when you know that you can beat someone but you lose because you dropped an easy combo or pick a character that you haven't trained with because your overthinking the match ups and whatnot. I play a lot of ssf4. So it's taking some getting used to mk9's gameplay mechanics. Anyways I didn't know that the tourney was in nj. I'm fairly close by so I wish I could have gone. O well.

Thanks, and damn, you were close--there's always next year though =) That's cool you're hitting up some local tourneys, gamestops and such--anything that supports the scene for MK! The more local meetups that are happening the more chance of tournaments starting, and great players coming up that would have never been heard of otherwise. SSF4 is definitely a different game in a lot of ways, so I can imagine that changes you're getting used to with MK.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.