Mortal Kombat Movie... Did You Know Official Facts Thread
posted06/15/2014 10:37 AM (UTC)by
Goro Still Lives
I am going to use this thread to give rare bits of trivia I find throughout my research. I'd love to have help but please refrain from copying and pasting from IMDB and Wikipedia, I have already found many mistakes.

Did you know...

1. Sub-Zero's opponent during the demonstration was played by Dominique Vandenberg? Hearing his name during a behind the scenes video allowed me to match it to the stuntmen listed in the credits.

2. There were only two geographical regions Mortal Kombat was filmed? 1) Around Los Angeles: California, including the Santa Monica and Van Nuys airports, sets in L.A., steel mill in Fontana, CA, somthing in Del Ray, and the pier at Long Beach, California; and 2) Thailand: Off the Beach of Krapi, at the temples in Ayuthaya, at a rubber tree plantation around Krapi, and the actual beach's name sounded like Atuset Beach (which may be close to the pronunciation of Hat Tham).

3. The producers went to United Cutlery to have them produce three knives for the film: the Raptor (UC750-MK), Double Shadow dagger (UC 453), and Neptune's Pearl daggers (UC870 and UC871), the mermaid dagger. All of them can be bought from time-to-time from sellers on Ebay and Amazon.com, as well as sellers of knives, using their model numbers for best results.

4. Alison Savitch, who coordinated the visual effects for both The Shadow (1994) and Mortal Kombat (1995), worked with RGA/LA again in MK, who designed the Scorpion's creature coming to life from the similar effect from The Shadow, where the phurba comes to life (this knife also designed by United Cutlery).
5. There are a lot more extended scenes and alternate dialogue than Wikipedia or IMDB lists. My site will reveal all of those and eventually I'll copy the list over, but one in particular included an extended scene between Kano and Goro, where Goro intimidated Kano and literally grabbed his face (I do have a picture of that), and the scene also showed Goro eating a komodo dragon, like in one of the comic books. The cutting of this scene is likely the reason for the cup reappearing after Goro knocked it over.

6. The first seen shot was Johnny Cage's intro. The pier shot was done closely after, the Guard fight with the warriors was done in Sept. 2 1994 and Kitana meeting the warriors in Outworld was done August 18, 1994. The scene where Rayden is introduced was Chris Lambert's first day on the set. It was not uncommon for actors to be called back months after shooting to add insert shots into the film.
Zentile
07/11/2011 01:19 PM (UTC)
Awesome work, as usual Goro. I thought I was a MK movie fan until you came along!
Neomic
07/12/2011 01:05 AM (UTC)
I don't understand why none of the Mortal Kombat releases have the deleted and extended scenes. Is it really that hard? It's possibly the reels that contain the scenes were damaged, but I somehow doubt that. Hopefully there's a 20th Anniversary edition of the Blu-ray that has these.
Goro Still Lives
07/12/2011 01:58 AM (UTC)
I don't either but I assume it has something to do with Threshold suing Warner Bros. and probably not handing over any of the material. In a very recent interview (April 15 I think) Tom Woodruff, Jr, who was in the Goro costume, said he had video that would have made a great special feature on the Blu-ray but no one contacted him.

New Line Cinema has had problems pretty much their whole life with mergers and acquisitions.
Goro Still Lives
07/14/2011 04:00 AM (UTC)
Martial Arts styles:

As a cool preview to my upcoming MK movie site, expected to be finished with Milestone 3 by August 1, here is an entire list of the martial arts styles by the fighters with credits:

Shang Tsung - Jujitsu, masculine Wushu
Liu Kang - Wushu style of Kung-Fu
Johnny Cage - Americanized Karate/Judo, like Chuck Norris
Sub-Zero - Jujitsu
Scorpion - Karate
Reptile - Taekwando
Fighting Monk (Hakim) - Karate
Kitana - Tai Chi, with feminime forms of Wushu Kung-Fu
Sonya - Wild streetfighter, with some American-style kickboxing
Kano - None stated
Rayden - none, he did not have fighting scenes
Chan Kang - Karate (based on Steven Hos background)
Art Lean - Karate (the book)
Zentile
07/15/2011 12:22 PM (UTC)
Actually, couldn't a case be made for Rayden having aikido as his fighting style when he takes down Liu Kang?
Goro Still Lives
07/15/2011 02:40 PM (UTC)
It could, since I was basing it off what was published. I don't know anything about martial arts styles so when I see someone flip someone else I don't know if it's a karate flip, judo flip, jujitsu flip, etc.
Goro Still Lives
07/17/2011 03:20 AM (UTC)
Confusing FX Scenes...

Often people believe the entire Johnny Cage vs Goro fight was actually digitalized. That is not true. In fact, only 3 shots were digitalized, the rest was two different sets, here's what I've gathered so far:

1. In the Statuary Garden where they start, this was on a set.
2. Right up until you see Goro running through the cave was also on the set.
3. Goro running through the cave, from what I've gathered, was digital.
4. Goro and Cage's fight is primarily on a stage in an airport hangar.
5. There are only two digital scenes on the cliff - The clouds below Goro hanging on the cliff (from what I've gathered Goro was actually hanging, or likely Woodruff was standing on something and the cliff set was raised) and the wide-angle shot where Cage flips Goro. If you notice during that same shot, Cage appears bald or even blonde.
Goro Still Lives
07/18/2011 12:00 AM (UTC)
Soundtrack/Score

* Information below is listed in its beta format. Grammatical errors may occur.

In another preview of my site:

Little is known about the development and promotion of the soundtrack and score, until now at least. My site will also attempt to provide lyrics to the songs and full credits printed from the album covers, in electronic format:

Based out of New York, TVT accepted the project turned down by many (EMI and Columbia, as examples) and completed it in in three weeks, released August 15, in time for the film. Soundtracks for Streetfighter and Mario Bros movies bombed. MK has been #1 at the box office for three weeks and grossed $63 million. The soundtrack had sold more than $197,000 units, started #40 on the charts and is already #12. The president of TVT did not expect it to be so popular and quickly. He noted it's amazing 750,000 units were shipped without releasing a single. First single released September 18 and was Girodo Mtrolpolis mix of "Juke Joint Jezebel," by KMFDM, which had been edited. He expected it may go double-platinum. Columbia claims they turned it down because they and all major labels could not churn it out in time for the movie. TVT says they are a good choice because of their history with New Line and techno-industrial music scene. A couple of songs, mainly from the Wax Trax! label, made it to the record but were not in the film (Sister Machine Gun and Psychosonik) because they
blended well with the music of the film. More song choices are released and a brief tie-in with the album by the Immortals. The album presold 60,000 units and was not expected to succeed. TVT plans to cross-promote the soundtrack with MK3, due Oct. 13, and TUG2MK CD-ROM, due Oct. 24. Promotion plans included Best Buy - selling the soundtrack with MK3, or providing a 8-song (snippets) sampler if someone buys the game only. A 60-second spot airing on MTV and SciFi channel for three weeks promoting the soundtrack will happen the first week of October. MTV passed on KMFDM's song at press time but it had been airing by The Box. KMFDM released a music video of "Juke Joint Jezebel" that MTV required it to remove 20 cuts. These scenes included a fireball, a banner with KMFDM's
name, and a punch in the face. They were very upset about that because shows like "Beavis and Butthead" were more foul and not as heavily censored. On radio, TVT plans to do CD giveaways and promote on radio along KMFDM's tour, Sept 24 - Nov. 5. A 16-market party club will devote one night as "Mortal Kombat Night" and giveaway caps, frisbees, and decorate the venue with posters. The soundtrack is on sale during the time of the Live Tour. On Oct. 3, TVT will release the score by George S. Clinton. The score and soundtrack will not be cross-promoted because the audiences are different.

Having techno music in the film was the producer's original idea. They also thought of having guitarists. They focused on what looked good in the movie, not on the soundtrack. A commercial soundtrack was done at the last minute and was going platinum in a few days (as of the day that commentary was recorded). The Score was done by George Clinton who helped incorporate the techno beat with his orchestral score and the producers felt he good job merging his music and techno drums with the soundtrack songs, often mixing pieces of his song with soundtrack songs. Music supervisor Sharon Boyle and composer George Clinton put together a soundtrack to replace the "dummy" soundtrack used for early screening purposes.
Goro Still Lives
07/18/2011 04:24 AM (UTC)
When Sony and Jax enter the club, you'll notice a wall of TVs in the background. As the credits state:

Video wall footage courtesy of WISH YOU WERE HERE
Payroll by Production Payroll, Inc.

The novel explained these were videos about Hong Kong, almost like tourism videos. It's not uncommon to see videos like these in some Chinese restaurants.
Goro Still Lives
07/19/2011 02:48 AM (UTC)
Unknown Players Now Known:

Who were the fallen warriors?

So far, I have confirmed the following:

Chinese guy with two weapons: Gerald Okamura
Samurai Warrior: Fumio Demura

Others:
James Louis Hopkins
Sidney S. Liufau

Kano's gunman (the one who went through the glass); Leo Lee
Sub-Zero's opponent who was frozen and shattered: Dominique Vandenberg
The Sonya in the Technoclub with black war paint as she goes through crowd : Barbara Bernhardt (also known as Barbara Goldstine)

The following were credited as other ninjas:

Earnest Hart Jr.
Danny Lopez
Master Ho Sik Pak

I do not understand what is meant by "martial arts demonstration" but this is the guy who played that: Chris Torres

Goro Still Lives
07/22/2011 09:53 PM (UTC)
In the first draft of the script, Liu and Cage met Kitana in the Living Forest and Liu threw Reptile into a tree that ate him, obviously left out for budgetary reasons when they just reused the same Outworld set at the steel mill for all of Outworld.
Chrome
About Me

07/22/2011 11:28 PM (UTC)
gorostilllives Wrote:
Martial Arts styles:

As a cool preview to my upcoming MK movie site, expected to be finished with Milestone 3 by August 1, here is an entire list of the martial arts styles by the fighters with credits:

Shang Tsung - Jujitsu, masculine Wushu
Liu Kang - Wushu style of Kung-Fu
Johnny Cage - Americanized Karate/Judo, like Chuck Norris
Sub-Zero - Jujitsu
Scorpion - Karate
Reptile - Taekwando
Fighting Monk (Hakim) - Karate
Kitana - Tai Chi, with feminime forms of Wushu Kung-Fu
Sonya - Wild streetfighter, with some American-style kickboxing
Kano - None stated
Rayden - none, he did not have fighting scenes
Chan Kang - Karate (based on Steven Hos background)
Art Lean - Karate (the book)

Well, some mistakes there.

Shang aka C.H. Takaga uses his own devised martial art, Wu Shu is not a martial arts style, Wu Shu means Martial Art. It is like saying his style is martial art (singular, as in "style"). Same with Gong Fu ("great skill"). Robin Shou's wu shu career was kicked off by internal style demonstrators what could vary from Hsing Yi to Ba Gua.

Chuck Norris would be a bad analogy as he is Tang Soo Do master black belt, and Brazilian Jujutsu (Jiu Jitsu is an incorrect form. -jutsu is the correct form of naming the method. Several places list them and use them continuously in an incorrect way).

Goro Still Lives
07/23/2011 12:11 AM (UTC)
Chrome -

Those are NOT mistakes - they were listed in the Behind the Scenes book produced by Prima. Please read your facts before declaring something published with license from New Line and the filmmakers before making these false statements. Again, I am citing what was used in that book or through the laser disc commentary.
The Chuck Norris analogy also came from the book, which is often the most correct of any of the other sources.
fantim
About Me

06/15/2014 02:13 AM (UTC)
Just stumbled across this list. Great great list. I can quote the whole movie and have even had conversations with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, yet there's stuff on here I still didn't know.
Thanks especially for the beach and rubber tree farm locations. Going to visit them next month now.
Here's a few years back when I visited Ayutthaya
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/558235_3657108391822_1579785445_n.jpg
Goro Still Lives
06/15/2014 10:37 AM (UTC)
fantim -

If you can photograph those locations that'll be great, I have yet to find their exact whereabouts.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.