Tyrant-Cenobite
07/12/2011 12:56 AM (UTC)
I'm not sure what's going on with you and Ninja_Mime here, but I personally feel that this thread is appropriate for this forum as Rain isn't actually available to play with yet so you can't really work out any 'strategies' by viewing and dissecting a minute long trailer.

If anybody is not in favour in keeping this thread in a relevant forum then please let me know! Thank you.
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 12:59 AM (UTC)
Tyrant-Cenobite Wrote:
I'm not sure what's going on with you and Ninja_Mime here, but I personally feel that this thread is appropriate for this forum as Rain isn't actually available to play with yet so you can't really work out any 'strategies' by viewing and dissecting a minute long trailer.

If anybody is not in favour in keeping these thread in a relevant forum then please let me know! Thank you.

Thank you for understanding my plight. ^^
Asesino
About Me
07/12/2011 05:09 AM (UTC)
You bitches better fucking buy Rain, cuz I wanna see him in teh next game!
CpmPanda
07/12/2011 07:12 AM (UTC)
Oh I'm buying alright! Damn right! Also, is it just me or is Rain the perfect subject to being the Mortal Kombat Mac Daddy? His intro says "I'm a cocky-bastard prince, bring it on!" His win pose is tied with the win pose we all came to love with his element thrown in. It also says, "I won, I knew it would happen, now let it rain!" He's just a badass damn it!
Sindel18
About Me

<a href="<a href="<a href="

07/12/2011 07:47 AM (UTC)
I have to say Jaded everytime I see either your name or Queve's as the author of a post I always click in and read, as I love how you set everything out.

Anyway Ive never been a huge fan of any of the male MK characters if not any, I never use them but I was a little anxious for rain he was the only male character who I saw potential in as a main.

Seeing the gameplay I am soooo happy, ive always been a fan of water based abilities and there rarely seen in any game but rain looks like soo much fun to use, I love the creativity with the water powers and fatality/intro can not wait to learn how to use him, He will be perfect for my Sindel/Mileena team. But im wandering if that jet stream is boiling water or does it just seem to push them back a bit, if so it seems pretty useless other then to keep them away from you.
funnylegz
07/12/2011 07:54 AM (UTC)
Last week I posted on a thread about what fans hoped would be rains special moves. Well everything I wanted was in the game play trailer I even wished for a teleport punch I am so happy! lol Rain will deff be one of my mains
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 08:29 AM (UTC)
Sindel18 Wrote:
I have to say Jaded everytime I see either your name or Queve's as the author of a post I always click in and read, as I love how you set everything out.

Anyway Ive never been a huge fan of any of the male MK characters if not any, I never use them but I was a little anxious for rain he was the only male character who I saw potential in as a main.

Seeing the gameplay I am soooo happy, ive always been a fan of water based abilities and there rarely seen in any game but rain looks like soo much fun to use, I love the creativity with the water powers and fatality/intro can not wait to learn how to use him, He will be perfect for my Sindel/Mileena team. But im wandering if that jet stream is boiling water or does it just seem to push them back a bit, if so it seems pretty useless other then to keep them away from you.

Thank you for the compliment. ^^

Well, there are no signs of it being boiling water, but it could possibly be.
drpvfx
About Me

07/12/2011 08:56 AM (UTC)
I've said (MANY times) that I would cry if they neglected his MKT moves too much.
I did very much the opposite of crying upon watching the video a few times and seeing that Rain did, indeed, have ALL THREE moves intact.

Anyone claiming the lightning is superfluous because of Nightwolf is splitting hairs and forgetting roots.

Anyone bothered by the Roundhouse can EAT MY ROUNDHOUSE!

And I am *especially* overjoyed to see the watery rebirth of the Mind Control Orb- which I felt they were most likely to drop.

The Water Jet is a bit of a surprise, but I doubt all it does is push them back-
this isn't Smash Bros, and you don't win by knocking them off the stage.
It either damages or sets up a free hit, I'm betting.

Most surprising is that inverted Teleport Kick-
it is undeniably similar to Sektor's punch,
but I guess they decided Rain needed that for some reason.
It doesn't bother me, and I'm sure it'll come *well* in handy.

All of this adds up to a character capable of all the same flashy, special-filled combos as he was in MKT, along with many, MANY more.

The X-Ray is bland from what we see, but there may be more to it,
and it could even be possible to combo *out of*, depending on how that last hit goes. That would be impressive.

EPIC WIN on the moves.
I'm a happy one right now! grin
PS- my interpretation of the throw is that Rain becomes water an instant before impact, making that splash. But that's just how I see it.
PPS- as one whose career is CG FX , I applaud what NRS' FX team has pulled off here- creating believable water is hard enough when you *aren't* limited by console specs.
So... great Water Work, guys!
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 09:45 AM (UTC)
drpvfx Wrote:
I've said (MANY times) that I would cry if they neglected his MKT moves too much.
I did very much the opposite of crying upon watching the video a few times and seeing that Rain did, indeed, have ALL THREE moves intact.

Anyone claiming the lightning is superfluous because of Nightwolf is splitting hairs and forgetting roots.

Anyone bothered by the Roundhouse can EAT MY ROUNDHOUSE!

And I am *especially* overjoyed to see the watery rebirth of the Mind Control Orb- which I felt they were most likely to drop.

The Water Jet is a bit of a surprise, but I doubt all it does is push them back-
this isn't Smash Bros, and you don't win by knocking them off the stage.
It either damages or sets up a free hit, I'm betting.

Most surprising is that inverted Teleport Kick-
it is undeniably similar to Sektor's punch,
but I guess they decided Rain needed that for some reason.
It doesn't bother me, and I'm sure it'll come *well* in handy.

All of this adds up to a character capable of all the same flashy, special-filled combos as he was in MKT, along with many, MANY more.

The X-Ray is bland from what we see, but there may be more to it,
and it could even be possible to combo *out of*, depending on how that last hit goes. That would be impressive.

EPIC WIN on the moves.
I'm a happy one right now! grin
PS- my interpretation of the throw is that Rain becomes water an instant before impact, making that splash. But that's just how I see it.
PPS- as one who does CG FX for a job, I applaud what NRS' FX team has pulled off here- creating believable water is hard enough when you *aren't* limited by console specs.

Very nice response.
PS: It does indeed seem like it, though it's hard to see since it is so fast.
PPS: The water effects sure look incredibly well done.
Dontex
About Me

07/12/2011 05:39 PM (UTC)
I like him but I'm a little disappointed at some of the little details...like his entrance...sorry but...that Sh*t is wack as hell..he's a fighter not a ballerina..and I'm not feeling the veil either other wise I think his costume's dope....and some of his special moves as other people have mentioned do seem like there copy and paste from other fighters just with different properties...even some of his kicks look to similar to scorpions and johnny's cages....which is kind of unfortunate...given the anticipation for this character...but it not the first time other fighters shared or had similar animations for moves in a fighting game so I'll let it slide....all in all I think he's a great addition but I think he could a little bit more polished in the end..he's the first character that actually feels like just DLC to me and not as fleshed out as Kenshi and Skarlet but it's all good lol..I just hope NRS takes there time with who ever the 4th DLC character is...
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 07:14 PM (UTC)
I don't know why people dislike his intro pose. He appears in a torrent of water, showing his speed and skill in a unique way. Just because he's spinning around doesn't mean he has anything to do with a balletdancer. You make it sound like spinning around is exclusively only balletdancers who does so.

He spun around like that in his teleportation move in MK Armageddon. Jade does so in her teleport, as well as Kitana. Fujin does so when making a tornado around himself. Kung Lao does so in his special move AND X-Ray move. Reiko spins around in his "teleportation" move in MK4 which was then given to Hotaru in MK Armageddon.

And none of those characters are balletdancers.
So please, stop referring to Rain as such. It makes no sense.
James_Sunderland
About Me

Second fan of "The Lady in Green...err Turquoise, no Gold?"

07/12/2011 07:19 PM (UTC)
Confucius say "An intro does not make up the fact that Rain is still gonna kick a**"

Look at Raiden's intro. "Thunder take you!" Thunder take me? Where? It makes no sense to me. Wouldve preferred him saying something like "Enough!" or "I dont think so."
Ninja_Mime
07/12/2011 07:20 PM (UTC)
James_Sunderland Wrote:
Look at Raiden's intro. "Thunder take you!" Thunder take me? Where? It makes no sense to me. Wouldve preferred him saying something like "Enough!" or "I dont think so."

"It's a new look!"
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 07:22 PM (UTC)
Ninja_Mime Wrote:
James_Sunderland Wrote:

"It's a new look!"

Hah, oh no. XD
mkwhopper
07/12/2011 07:24 PM (UTC)
That water blade could or should be part of his combos
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 07:28 PM (UTC)
mkwhopper Wrote:

I definately agree. Screw the Storm Sword or those daggers in his render (belonging to Kano, by the way), his hydro-blade is ALOT cooler and should definately appear in his gameplay, in my opinion, and not just in his fatality.
James_Sunderland
About Me

07/12/2011 07:32 PM (UTC)
Ninja_Mime Wrote:
James_Sunderland Wrote:

"It's a new look!"

haha even better! tongue
smokeman14
07/12/2011 07:34 PM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
mkwhopper Wrote:

I definately agree. Screw the Storm Sword or those daggers in his render (belonging to Kano, by the way), his hydro-blade is ALOT cooler and should definately appear in his gameplay, in my opinion, and not just in his fatality.

Rain's second Fatality is like Quan Chi's "On Your Knees" fatality, but only worth doing.
mkwhopper
07/12/2011 07:36 PM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
mkwhopper Wrote:

I hope it's part of his combo(s) or something like that And Smokeman, They may look alike, but Rain's is WAY better than Quan Chi's shitty 2nd fatality
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 07:40 PM (UTC)
smokeman14 Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
mkwhopper Wrote:

Rain's second Fatality is like Quan Chi's "On Your Knees" fatality, but only worth doing.

That it is, but it made no sense that Quan Chi did that fatality. He suddenly drew a sword out of his own ass and uses it in a fatality that did not fit him at all. That was a half-assed job by NRS, admittedly.

However, the hydro-blade fits Rain and so does the fatality. Quan Chi can go to hell... which he did... because.. well, he lives there...
Spider804
07/12/2011 07:43 PM (UTC)
Damn you, Quan Chi! No matter what happens, you always go back to hell and can never truly die! Damn him. XD
Jaded-Raven
07/12/2011 07:45 PM (UTC)
Spider804 Wrote:
Damn you, Quan Chi! No matter what happens, you always go back to hell and can never truly die! Damn him. XD

It's sad, because this new MK really ruined Quan Chi for me. I don't like him at all in this game, not appearance wise, not gameplay wise, not story wise... And I liked him alot in the past games. If only he hadn't appeared at all... and his spot given to Rain as it rightfully belongs to.

But no matter, Rain is back with a vengeance! ^^
unseenwombat
07/12/2011 07:47 PM (UTC)
drpvfx Wrote:PPS- as one whose career is CG FX , I applaud what NRS' FX team has pulled off here- creating believable water is hard enough when you *aren't* limited by console specs.
If only they would have put the same care and attention into animating Raiden's projectile, we would have lightning bolts instead of fuzzy comets.

And yes, Kitana's hair. I said it. I have to.

Rain looks good, and it shows me, to my surprise, that they are capable of creating a good looking character, and doing things that are considered "difficult" in the CG world, when they actually put the time and effort into it.
Spider804
07/12/2011 07:47 PM (UTC)
Rain must now roundhouse that bald bitch!
James_Sunderland
About Me

07/12/2011 07:48 PM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
Spider804 Wrote:

It's sad, because this new MK really ruined Quan Chi for me. I don't like him at all in this game, not appearance wise, not gameplay wise, not story wise... And I liked him alot in the past games. If only he hadn't appeared at all... and his spot given to Rain as it rightfully belongs to.

But no matter, Rain is back with a vengeance! ^^

I agree Quan Chi shouldve been DLC, but thats in the past now. Gotta admit though his x-ray is one of the best in the game, with his 2nd fatality being one of the most unoriginal, bland and boring fatalities.
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.