Official Kabal Strategy & Combo Superthread!
posted08/30/2012 02:56 AM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!

Always the way. You quit the Black Dragon clan to turn over a new leaf as a member of the New York City police force, only to be brutally attacked by violent beings from another realm and left for dead! D'oh! Never one to get sandy about life, Kabal was given lemons and started squeezed cybernetic lifesupport lemonade in the eyes of his enemies!

REO took Kabal all the way last week at Final Round XV.
Discuss all your Kabal strategy, combos, and moves in this thread!

Basic Attacks
Uppercut - Down + 2
Book Swipe - Away + 1
Strong Fist - Away + 2
Step Kick - Toward + 3
Big Knee - Toward + 4
Sweep - Away + 4

Chain Combos
Last Breath - 1, 1, 1
Extermination - 1, 1, Away + 4, 3
Mutilation - Away + 1, 2, 1
Vanquish - 2, 1, 2
Nomad's Fear - Toward + 3, 2
Eviscerate - Toward + 4, 1 + 2

Fast Tags (Tag Mode)
Up Next - Away + 1, 2, 1, Tag

Tag Combos (Tag Mode)
Your Turn - 1, 1, Away + 4, Tag
Partners in Crime - Away + 1, 2, Tag
Rebirth - 2, 1, Tag

Special Moves
Gas Blast - Away, Away, 1
Nomad Dash - Away, Toward, 4
Buzzsaw - Away, Away, 3
Tornado Slam - Down, Away, 2 [+Aerial]

Finishing Move
Hook Up - Away, Toward, Away, Toward, 1 [Sweep]
It Takes Guts - Down, Down, Away, Toward, Block [Sweep]
Stage Fatality - Down, Down, 4 [Varied]
Babality - Toward, Down, Away, 3 [Jump]

Key: [1 = FP] :: [2 = BP] :: [3 = FK] :: [4 = BK]

Threads for all the other characters will come soon.
Please do not create new threads for them. Official superthreads will be easily accessed via the sticky menu.

These are the basics. Give the MKOmmunity a life line with your best tips, tricks, combos and thoughts!
redman
03/12/2012 06:44 AM (UTC)
First off everyone should know already that Kabal heavily relies on his zoning tools.

His best tools for zoning are Instant Air Gas blasting.

How you do the instant are gas blasts are Up, Back, Up, Back, 1, really fast.

It takes a lot of time and practice, but once you get them down, they are really worth it.

The next best thing for Kabal is his dash cancel. How you execute this is:

Back Forward 4 Back+Block

You can do this after really every standing punch, poke, string, etc. It really depends on what are the best ones.

His best strings are F3 Dash cancel, B1 Dash cancel, and 2 Dash cancel.

If you wanna play Kabal, I really highly suggest that you learn how to dash cancel. It is his best tool and helps his rushdown game 100%. This is why he is one of the best characters in the game.

Basic Block Dash cancel strings:

F3 2 Dash cancel, F3 2 Dash cancel, B12 Dash cancel, (Warning, your opponent can poke out of these so I recommend mixing it up.

Another great string is his F4. It acts as a ender to a combo to dash cancel strings, or what a lot of people like to call it, a reset.

Basic Juggles:

B121, 1, 1, 1, f4 nomad dash, COP b121, 1, f4. 36% to full reset and you get free chip damage. Adds up to about 40%.

B121, 1, 1, 1, f4 nomad dash, COP, b121, f3, 2, overhead 38% but most Kabal's end a combo in f4.

One of his best mixup strings is his 11b4 string. The b4 is a mixup and it hits low. You can fully combo after this and end it in a reset. Very good tool. You can also end it with the overhead, which if they decide to block low you can catch them off guard with the overhead for a free 12%.

Advanced Dash Canceling block strings:

F3, dash cancel, f3, dash cancel, d1, f4 dash cancel.

This may not seem that advanced but f3 is a great tool. You can also mix it up with a 11b4 dash cancel and you get the free hit from the low hit. If they decide to block low, do a F3 2 overhead. It usually works every time.

F3, dash cancel, 2 dash cancel, 2 dash cancel, b12 dash cancel, f4.

This is a very fast way to get your opponent to start respecting you. It shows them that your the real deal, and that your Kabal is a mastermind. The f4 usually catches them off guard, and from most people that i've played it usually catches them if they try to jump because it acts as an anti-air and so forth.

Always remember to mix it up.

Corner combos:

His best juggles in the corner are obviously b121. You can also incorporate your fireballs in these juggles as well, and nomad dash cancels.

Basic Corner Juggles:

JIP, b121, b121, b121, b121, f4 nomad dash cancel. around 34% to full reset with chip damage.

JIP, b121, NJP, b121, b121, f3 2 buzzsaw 36% and being able to poke.

Not the greatest juggles, but nonetheless it does damage and it's fairly easy to do.

I'm going to go ahead and post this because my computer is being a real bitch right now and keeps freezing and i'm afraid i'll lose my work. Will update it.

Semi-Advanced Juggles:

JIP, b121, JIK to fireball, b121, b121, b121, f4 nomad dash, JIP b121, f4 nomad dash cancel, (f3 2 buzzsaw.) 44% with chip 38% w/o.

() is chip damage. The F3, 2 buzzsaw gives a 6% chip if full blocked. The buzzsaw has a capacity to hit, and is a 50/50 percent chance of hitting. This is a great tool to use if your opponent is low health or you just want the extra damage.

JIP, b12 nomad dash, COP, b121, IAGB, b121, b121, b121, f4 nomad dash cancel. 38%

Relatively easy to do, but it can be easily done and it's good for a fast combo so you can continue your ndc pressure in the corner.

Advanced Juggles:

JIP, b121, NJP, 3 ndc, 2, 2, f4 nomad dash, COP b121, b121, f4 nomad dash cancel, (f3 2 buzzsaw) 44 w/o chip 49% with chip

This is one of Kabal's best, but harder combos to do in the corner. It's a great way to get high damage with Kabal as Kabal's damage isn't the greatest in the game. Very hard to do, but worth the reward.

JIP, b121, NJP, 3 ndc, b121, b121, b121, f4 nomad dash, COP, b121, f4 nomad dash cancel. 43%. This is an easier one to do then the one above. Once you've mastered the 3 ndc, this combo is very easy to do. Even in lag. I land it almost 100% of the time, but sometimes it can fuck me up. Very good combo to do for a meterless 43%.

Advanced Midscreen combos:

JIP, b121, b1 ndc, 2 f4 nomad dash, COP b121, 1, f4, ndc. 39% and you can incorporate 6% more chip into it with F3, 2, buzzsaw.

This is a great BNB for Kabal, it's stylish, and it makes you feel good when you land it. It takes a lot of time in practice mode to land this but it is worth it.

Here is a clip of me doing the midscreen combo, as well as the corner combo above it, but a different style and it only does 42%.

I know a lot of more advanced stuff with him, but I tried to make this kind of in depth, but not as in depth as I could have. Thanks for reading if you did, and I hope I gave some useful information.
TheGil-Monster
03/12/2012 04:40 PM (UTC)
I've always loved Kabal and I have some basic tactics about him. His sweep is crazy fast, and he's the only kombatant to pop-up the victim when you kombo-tag him in.

It's not a kombo, but when people are in my face I like to two-in-one a Buzzsaw during a standing 4 to make sure they're paying attention.

During a juggle, interrupt Eviscerate (F4, 1+2) for a GREAT lead-in to the X-Ray; the victim hangs in the air long enough for you to make a sandwich, no matter how many air hits you've landed.

I've always had trouble pulling off Extermination (damn XBOX D-pad!) so here's my favorite Kabal X-Ray combo:

Jump-In 2, 2,1,Nomad Dash, Mutilation, F4, X-Ray. 12 hits, 39%
totheark
03/12/2012 04:44 PM (UTC)
"2, woosh, 2, woosh, 2, woosh, 2, woosh, 2, woosh, 2, woosh, 2, woosh"
Question: Does his standing 3 hit when ducking? I know Mileena can but how about normal hitbox characters?

Mick, I'm waiting for that Mileena thread! [I'll do her next! -M]
redman
03/12/2012 05:13 PM (UTC)
Yes it does but I believe you can d3 out it.
Nephrite
03/18/2012 11:46 AM (UTC)
vVv REO uploaded some nice (anti-)Kabal strategy videos:

Part 1 - Kabal's dash cancels and pressure

Part 2 - Kabal's zoning, footsies & shenanigans
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
08/30/2012 02:56 AM (UTC)
Another new vid from MLG Summer Champion REO: Kabal Advanced Strategies - f+4 Active Frames and Spacing
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.