Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • August 6th, 2018
    MKO's Interviews with the Film Cast: Coming Thursday [Read On]
  • July 29th, 2018
    MK Online Stream to Host Movie Star Q&A Friday [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    Kombat Kon Date Announced: October 27, 2018 [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    SDCC: Paris Jackson Cosplays Sonya at Comic-Con [Read On]
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (51.0%)
Out of kredits. (48.9%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 04/19/2012 06:58 PMStatus ::
Anniversary: Discarded Mortal Kombat Covers

It's been one year since Mortal Kombat was first released for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, ushering in a new era for the much loved franchise.

With this milestone in mind, we began the month with a customary April Fool [read on], indulging the inevitability of the cutting room floor. To mark the paper anniversary, Series Director, co-reator and frequent tweeter, Ed Boon, has revealed some of the real discarded assets from the latest release -- unused covers!

Discarded 2011 Kovers!
"For the 1 year anniversary of MK(9)'s release, check out these cutting-room-floor box
art designs we didn't use.
" [via Twitter]

The covers demonstrate two very distinct design philosophies, deviating from the now iconic image used, featuring series icons. Scorpion and Sub-Zero [full story].

Baring the iconic Dragon Logo in its most recent form -- one of the covers [pictured right] recalls the long tradition of an ironically minimalist approach for MK cover designs. The lone logo is a look many fans favoured in the lead-up to the franchise reboot, a fitting choice given the games redefining return to the beginning of Kombat mythology, and the fresh start a new fighting engine has given.

The other cover [pictured left], picks up on a more recent trend of featuring famous feuds from the franchise fiction, a design brief used more specifically in special covers for Armageddon (2006). Kitana and Mileena get a cameo opposite the usual suspects, but the ominous image at the centre alludes heavily to the plot, which begins with Raiden's final moments in battle with a post-Armagedonn Shao Kahn. The foreboding image also recalls the shortlived shadows advertising campaign, begun early in the promotional cycle during 2010 [read on], and continued in various art assets.

Did Boon and co. make the right the decision? What would the MKOmmunity like to have seen? Share your thoughts about the discarded cover and more on the forums.

Later in the year, MK turns twenty, a fitting milestone in this Year of the Dragon! While you're on the forums, post some of your nostalgic memories from the long history of Mortal Kombat! Mortal Kombat Online has already begun to look back with features on the history of famous MK hoaxes, and our Top 10 Hidden Kharacters!

Rockchalk5477Posted: 04/19/2012 07:20 PMStatus ::

Visits::12960
Nationality::United States
RE: Anniversary: Discarded Mortal Kombat 2011 Kover Art

I think the one with Raiden could have been really cool, but without Kitana/Mileena and Scorps/Subs in the background, stealing his thunder (pun intended.)

I'm not super crazy about the actual cover we got. I prefer the classic MK logo, but that Raiden one would be pretty cool with some alterations.

ZmokePosted: 04/19/2012 08:10 PMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

I'm satisfied with the decisions NeRdS made here. Orange and blue are alluring colors, popular in the video game cover arts, and Ed Boon had to prove to the Warner cousins that Mortal Kombat does indeed sell by this product. The Raiden cover art does look menacing and unlike the others, but Mileena and Kitana fighting in The Pit doesn't feel right. The Kollector's Edition still has the coolest box out there. No, really it does – metal's cold!

Ultimately, kontent matters.

nightbreed_16Posted: 04/19/2012 10:06 PMStatus ::

Visits::259

Not a bad looking cover for the game if you ask me.

I will rock you.
KuaiLiangPosted: 04/20/2012 03:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::3115
Nationality::Argentina

The one on the right looks badass. Just like an old MK cover.

PSN: manu_erizo
NephritePosted: 04/21/2012 06:55 AMStatus ::

Visits::3779
Nationality::Croatia

I love the Raiden one for the PS3 and yeah it would look even better without the 4 characters in the background.

Sorry Kitana.

HELLSCORPION2Posted: 04/21/2012 07:54 PMStatus ::

Visits::2850

Personally I would have prefered one with the original MK dragon logo shattered or exploding outward. Or one that alternates between that and the MK9 logo.

Page of 1

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.