Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 05/06/2012 03:30 AMStatus ::
Feature: The PSVita Cameo That Shook the Earth- Tremor!

Self-fulfilling prophecy: MKOs Tremor April FoolIn April, Mortal Kombat Online featured classic Mortal Kombat characters who existed in hoaxes and rumor, as well as characters who were nestled deep within the games themselves. We also began the month with our customary April Fool, pulling on references somewhere in between, to allude to some vaguely prophetic, discarded phony DLC follow-ups.

If you're at all worried about spoilers for Kombat on the PlayStation Vita, it's at this point you might like to gouge your eyes out and run screaming into the night, desperately trying to unsee what has been seen [below].

Tremor - More Than Just a Rumor!

Not exactly a rumor -- Tremor was one of the characters we included in our quartet of April Fools [pictured top], before he made his triumphant return in the portable PlayStation version of Mortal Kombat, May 1.

Despite having only previously appeared in one of the most infamous games in MK history -- Tremor is a character who has amassed a massive cult following within the fanbase in recent years. Part of that intrigue may be for the relative obscurity of his only actual outing prior to the Vita Challenger Tower exclusive, but to get the full story on Tremor, we have to go deep into the past, to a time when rumor and mystery was rife.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy was released on popular home consoles in 1996, updating the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 base with final additions to its compilation formula. MKT returned Johnny Cage to the series, introduced playable bosses, and unleashed a veritable rainbow of palette swap characters in the mode of what would become todays Klassic Skins. Not surprisingly, it's here that Tremor is said to have his origins.

Sources are difficult to come by these days, but anecdotal evidence would have it that Tremor was almost included in printed material for Mortal Kombat Trilogy, assigning his bio to Rain, opposite a miscoloured Ermac. Rain had previously made a teaser appearance in the intro of UMK3, before being fully realised as a playable character in ports to the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.

The misprint bio describes a former Lin Kuei assassin working for new masters, factors presumed to be present in Tremor's character in his eventual debut in Mortal Kombat: Special Forces -- a 2000 third-person shooter that introduced Tremor as a member of Kano's Black Dragon clan.

Rain is an assassin working freelance. He was once a member of the Lin Kuei along with Sub-Zero, but left the clan under mysterious circumstances. Years later, Rain is found working for Shao Kahn as an assassin in the Outworld. Born a human, he finds himself questioning his loyalty towards Kahn after watching the invasion of Earth.
- Mortal Kombat Trilogy Manual Rain Bio (1996)

Tremor - Knows a Thing or Two about Doing Hard Time!
Mortal Kombat Special Forces - Black Dragon targets!Mortal Kombat Special Forces - Tremor Intro Sequence!Mortal Kombat Special Forces - Jax versus Tremor!

Theoretically, like Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero before it; Special Forces plays as a vague, particularly ill favoured prequel to the original Mortal Kombat.
The game begins with a violent breakout of Black Dragon superhuman criminals from the "Special Forces Maximum Security Facility," told through rudimentary 3D cut scenes, and dialogues between playable protagonist, Jax, and Special Forces contact, Gemini.

Freed by Kano; Tremor is part of a group that includes Jarek (of Mortal Kombat 4 fame), and never again seen MKSF exclusive characters, No Face and Tasia. All four, along with Kano, appear as bosses at the end of each stage, taking Jax progressively deeper into the weird and wonderful world of mysticism and realms, before a final confrontation and Kano's ultimate post-beatdown escape, in Outworld.

Rendered in polygons, Tremor received a significantly bulked up physique in MKSF, particularly when compared to his digitized, UMK3 counterparts. Still closely adhering to the "klassic" palette swap design, Tremor had a muted yellow tone, (popularly described as brown), which appeared to have been a major factor in condemning him to obscurity. Tweeting in response to a fan, Ed Boon rebuked any inclusion of Tremor with some hint of irony, "... he looks too much like Scorpion. Palette swap bastard."

Assuming a counterpart role to the playable Jax, Tremor's powers were less dependent on elemental manipulation of terrafirma, instead reflecting his burly figure with Jax-style ground pound quakes, and conventional fireballs. This moveset returned for his cameo as a playable PSVita Challenge Tower character, complete with MKSF style fireball, and appropriate additional moves, even though he is still relegated to palette swap status.

Tremor Gets Appropriate Moveset in PSVita! Tremor Faces his MKSF Arch-Nemesis - Jax!

So, what's next for Tremor? Your guess is as good as ours!
2002's Deadly Alliance began a process of individualizing the army of colour swap characters MK was once infamous for. Characters like Ermac and Rain continue to show that even the thinnest of Mortal Kombat premises is able to develop into a compelling creation, earning distinct designs and a clear sense of identity amidst a growing roster.

Tremor, like many kombatants before him, may have begun life as a "palette swap bastard," but has shown plenty of potential to develop into a lasting favourite, given the opportunity. The basic fascination with palette swap fighters and the loose thread of existing properties has built a strong following around Tremor, but there's much more value to be mined here.

With the unique mercenary perspective of being Lin Kuei-turned-Black Dragon, he already has an individual story to tell, and a multitude of associations to ingrain him immediately into the thick of the fiction. Existing strongman powers make Tremor an interesting, classical counterpart to arch-rvial Jax, with the fan-favourite potential to develop into an earth-centric, elemental fighter, providing many additional options.

You'll find a wide variety of fan-fiction ideas and discussions by searching the Fan Submission Forum. You can also discuss all things Mortal Kombat: Special Forces in the 3D Kombat Klassics forum, and more PSVita in Kontemporary Kombat. Special thanks to C-Sword for providing PSVita screenshots.

raidenthefridgePosted: 05/06/2012 04:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::3798
Nationality::Northern Ireland
RE: Feature: The PSVita Cameo That Shook the Earth!

I see finishing move in his move list...does he have a fatality?

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!
Unknown265Posted: 05/06/2012 07:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::535
Nationality::United States

Really cool, I never expected NRS to put Tremor in the Bonus Challenge Tower. I wonder if they are planning to introduce Tremor as a fully playable fighter in a future MK game?

ZmokePosted: 05/06/2012 08:11 AMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

C-S: Good Source

It's nice how Tremor is practically the mix of all those primary colors he's opposing. If only they were in their UMK3 suits as well, but Tremor is just more developed here.

Im_JUST_SayinPosted: 05/06/2012 08:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::877

Someone asked if he has a Fatality.

I've been wondering the same thing.

Vash_15Posted: 05/06/2012 08:48 AMStatus ::

Visits::11780

Im_JUST_Sayin Wrote:
Someone asked if he has a Fatality.

I've been wondering the same thing.

Probably just a stage fatality.

Im_JUST_SayinPosted: 05/06/2012 09:04 AMStatus ::

NRS has a chance for some decent money by putting minimal effort into making Tremor a DLC character.

Just add a Fatality if he doesn't have one.

MKIceVsFirePosted: 05/06/2012 09:21 AMStatus ::

Visits::1661
Nationality::Norway

A Little Late To The Party Are We?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV9tftd6kzw&feature=g-all-u
C-SwordPosted: 05/06/2012 10:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::1551

No, he doesn't have a fatality, you fight him once and play as him twice, the challenges end right after you defeat your opponents, leaving no time for a finishing move.

He has to be playable on the Ladder/Versus mode to have a fatality. Maybe, there's a way to do that...

He has the same combo strings and fighting stance as Smoke.

Fire Blast = Jax's Energy Wave/ Kabal's Gas Blast
Earth Pound = Jax's Ground Pound
Earth Blast = Noob's Ghost Ball/ Freddy's Sweet Dream

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9996/smokesig2.jpg
seanayPosted: 05/06/2012 10:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::9273
Nationality::United Kingdom

If he is to join the MK roaster, I hope he gets a new look, kinda like the Rock Man... and the pallet swap for a extra or alt costume

Dragonkeeper1982Posted: 05/06/2012 10:20 AMStatus ::

Visits::842

Never late enough to add on to the ALMOST PERFECT fighting game of the century, I'd pay $5 for his character ALONE, maybe even $10 on a good day.

They could EASILY make a 2nd pack of DLC characters, and they especially should for teasing us with a 2nd pack discarded characters on April Fools Day, yeah it's a tradition but to tease in that way, we were all wanting a 2nd pack BAD and 2 of those Tremor/Sareena were amongst the most-wanted before the 1st pack was fully announced.

I'd say either:
1. Tremor
2. Sareena
3. Fujin
4. Tanya

or

1. Tremor
2. Tanya
3. Fujin
4. Jason Vorhees

then

Brutal Pack:
1 Brutality per character
Endurance Mode

then

Classic Fatality Pack #2:
Sonya Blade's Flamming Lips
Kitana's MK2 Kiss Of Death
Sektor's Trash Compactor
Kung Lao's Hat Mayhem
Sindel's Skin Screamer
Baraka's MK2 Imaple
Raiden's MK1 Head Shock Therapy
Cyrax's Self Destruction
Ermac's Telekinesis Psychosis
Shang Tsung's Kintaro Morph
Freddy Krueger's Infamous Up-The-Wall

then

Stage Fatality Pack:
Rooftop (Day) - Tossed into watertower, fall on electric power unit and fry
Soul Chamber - Soulnado tear if facing it, or lava bath if on sides of stage
Belltower - based on time, either knocked into gears or classic MK3 impale
Goro's Lair - kicked to the bars and oni pulls opponent through them like in the Wishmaster 2 movie
(New) Portal - MKD stage fatality on classic redish stage
(New) Tomb - Classic impale and fall if hold down on 2 controllers
(New) The Prison - MK4 fan fatality
(New) The Balcony - finally see what's in the green well at the bottom

scorpioPosted: 05/06/2012 10:24 AMStatus ::

Visits::6138

always been a tremor fan. i guess its bc i thought he should have been given a better chance at mk life. his name and size invoked an image in my head of what he could have and should have been.

i thought his moves in mksf were very generic. as i got into mugen, i seen there were no good tremors out there. they ended up like he was in sf. and brown/orange ninja swap with crappy generic moves.

i combined my visions with him, with the earth bending skills seen in avatar the last air bender, and im quite proud of the results.

ninja kombat tremor fatality 1
ninja kombat tremor fatality 2

i have matches and more stuff. check out my yt chanel for more.

though im excited to see tremor finally make his way back home, i dont think hes gonna be as good as i want him to be. just by judging by his moves list, it seems they just copied the typical mugen tremor design. just generic moves. fire ball and a ground pound.

hopefully this wont be his last appearance and has a better design in the future.

Immortal_KanjiPosted: 05/06/2012 12:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::7992
Nationality::Canada

Tremor deserves to be in the next game. As a strong man, rival of Jax and an earth fight.

If Tremor came back, he'd be the last survivor of the Black Dragon with Kano dead by Sonya. He'll need a makeover.

J-spitPosted: 05/06/2012 03:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::7211

Good shit, Mick. Definitely a good read for me.

I still haven't played Special Forces and I don't know why I want to.

Twilight Muthafuckin' Sparkle

Sig by TheCypher
TemperaryUserNamePosted: 05/06/2012 04:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::6084

Something tells me this is the closest we'll get to having Tremor in an MK game, but I could be wrong. It's fun either way.

However, I want those UMK3 costumes for console. I would kill a man for those costumes.

New sig on the way
(Erik)Posted: 05/06/2012 05:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::26952
Nationality::Ireland

I want to see footage!

Im_JUST_SayinPosted: 05/06/2012 06:56 PMStatus ::

(Erik) Wrote:
I want to see footage!

There is already footage on YouTube.

The only fight out of Tremor's three on the new tower that I haven't seena video of yet, is the one against Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Ermac.

I wonder if Ed Boon realized how many fans are currently swooning over Tremor's appearance in the Vita version.

keyara412Posted: 05/06/2012 07:26 PMStatus ::

Visits::186

nice read...I'm glad he finally made some sort of actual debut in a real MK game...I haven't played MK:SF but i saw plenty of footage online of the gameplay and i wasn't really impressed. I don't know if they plan on including him in an official roster in the future but I certainly wouldn't mind. I don't like the fact that it's another palette swap character, but at the same time i guess it doesn't really bother me either....kinda used to it with MK at this point.

Tetra_VegaPosted: 05/06/2012 10:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::2421
Nationality::Canada

Interesting turn of events...

I don't think his "Fireball" fits him, but it's pretty. Might be a "chi" based attack, not earth element.
Rock chuck is alright. Did they give Mr. T enhanced moves, x-ray, etc?

Anyways, since this is MK1-3, the next game's obviously 4, and an adventure.
Redo Mythologies, but explore the whole Lin Kuei this time. We have human versions of all dem ninjers. Think Shaolin Monks with Sektor, Cyrax, Smoke, and Sub-Zero. Tie in with Special Forces.

Maybe No Face was Sektor, underkover tracking Tremor. His blank Cyber faceplate is reminiscent of No Face. Receiving intel that he was in prison with a group of Black Dragon, Sektor takes on the false identity of a horridly burned pyromaniac. After infiltrating the prison, he gets recruited to the Black Dragon by Jarek.

When they break out, No Face, as the new guy, takes up the rear. He manages to hold off Jax in a warehouse. Noticing he fights similar to Tremor, he reveals his identity to Jax, and explains his mission to track the traitor, Tremor. Nobody leaves the Lin Kuei...

Ka-Tra

13 YEARS! ^[2004-10 Komics Sig by Siklooted, tyvm]^ [2012-15 Komics *NEW 11/24/2015*] "Circling Vulture, Laughing Hyena" "All good things, in moderation..." "Mean what you say, and say what you mean. You never know, I could be a Djinn..." True story, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine... EVERYBODY!
redmanPosted: 05/06/2012 11:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::4716

This was awesome! Very cool to see where Tremor started and all this character has been through to get into a MK game lol.

mkwhopperPosted: 05/07/2012 01:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::4512

Nice read.
Tremor ftw

MINIONPosted: 05/07/2012 08:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

Oh... My... This is so freaking cool! TREMOR in a game after all these years! This is incredible. I'm practically speechless atm.

Given in Deadly Alliance we saw Hsu Hao rival Jax. It would be cool to have Tremor, as the full replacement for Hsu Hao. Since Vogel didn't like Hsu to begin with. Sonya has Kano, Jax could have Tremor.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
RazorsEdge701Posted: 05/07/2012 09:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::20795

Dragonkeeper1982 Wrote:
They could EASILY make a 2nd pack of DLC characters, and they especially should for teasing us with a 2nd pack discarded characters on April Fools Day

That was this site's April Fools prank, not NRS's.

Chryo_SpyderPosted: 05/07/2012 11:27 AMStatus ::

Visits::214

I dont think Tremor was meant to be a serious character in this game.

If he was, he wouldnt be rocking Smoke's fighting stance...

Real All The Damn Time
Im_JUST_SayinPosted: 05/07/2012 12:04 PMStatus ::

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Dragonkeeper1982 Wrote:
They could EASILY make a 2nd pack of DLC characters, and they especially should for teasing us with a 2nd pack discarded characters on April Fools Day

That was this site's April Fools prank, not NRS's.

You mean, Boon doesn't run this site?

THIS IS ALL BOON'S FAULT!!!!!

Seriously, though, the Boon hate around here is effing ridiculous.

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.