Official Smoke Strategy & Combo Superthread!
posted06/02/2012 01:31 AM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!

With Sunday's Eurovision Song Contest already a fading memory, who better to remind us of the 2012 fire than MK's resident kombatant for Europe -- Smoke?

Not just any old Lin Kuei clansman -- Smoke is and was Tomas Vrbada, a warrior from Prague with a dark past! Able to harness and transform into animate smoke, he is the close ally of Sub-Zero and a power to be reckoned with! Warning: Visibility may be impared as you discuss all the best strategies, combos & counters for Smoke!

Basic Attacks
Jaw Chop - Away + 1
Step Strike - Away + 2
Hook Kick - Away + 3
Spin Kicks - Toward + 4
Uppercut - Down + 2
Sweep - Away + 4

Chain Combos
Ablaze - 1, 1, 2
Smoldering - 1, 3
Red-Hot - Away + 1, 4
Smokin - Away + 2, 3
Rekindle - 2, 1, 4
Combustion - 3, Down + 1, 2
On Fire - 3, 2

Fast Tags (Tag Mode)
Ashes to Ashes - 3, Down + 1, 2, Tag
Dust to Dust - 3, 2, Tag

Tag Combos (Tag Mode)
Incinerate - 1, 1, Tag
Immolation - 2, 1, Tag
Ignite - 3, Down + 1, Tag

Special Moves
Shake - Away, Toward, 1 [Hold to Charge]
Smoke Cloud - Down, Away, 2
Air Throw - Throw [Aerial; No Enhanced]
Teleport - Down, Away, 4 [+Aerial]
Invisibility - Down, Up, 3
Smoke Away - Toward, Away, 3
Smoke Towards - Away, Towards, 3

Finishing Moves
Smoked Out - Away, Toward, Away, Toward, 1 [Sweep]
Tremor - Away, Away, Down, Toward, 2 [Sweep]
Stage Fatality - Toward, Up, Up, 1 [Varied]
Babality - Down, Away, Down, Toward, Down [Jump]

Key: [1 = FP] :: [2 = BP] :: [3 = FK] :: [4 = BK]

Threads for all the other characters will be available soon.
Please do not create new threads for other characters. Official superthreads will be easily accessed via the sticky menu!

These are but a few plumes of basic attacks. We need you to stoke the Smoke with your best tips, tricks and strategies. Drop it like it's hot!
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
05/28/2012 10:52 PM (UTC)
It's hard to really categorize Smoke. He has anti-zoning strategies, but you're not going to do any serious damage that way. You can rushdown with him, but unless you're cornering your opponent, your pressure is only going to lead into some chip damage and tick throws. He has great footsies, but anti-footsie characters can shut that shit down (Reptile losing to Smoke 7/3 is a myth).

All that said, I guess I'd call Smoke a mix-up character with low-risk pressure. Winning with Smoke means stripping away your opponent's options, applying safe pressure strategies, and blowing up your opponent with resets and correct guesses. Use your smoke bomb to limit your opponents footsies; use your jump kick into air throw to beat out anti-airs following into a whiffed teleport to start your oki game (which is very strong); anti-air with standing 2 and follow up with two dash down+1s into Smoke bomb.

As for his normals, dash in and down+4 is good for mid-range and dash in and down+3 is good for up-close pressure. Foward+4 is is slow but has decent range: use it for pressure if your opponent isn't jump happy (but if your opponent is jump-happy, forward+4 propels Smoke far enough for the cross-up to whiff. Neutral Jump Punch if you read the second cross up attempt).

As for combos, my bread and butter is 3, d+1, 2 dash 3, d+1, 2, dash 3, d+1, 2 (delay) Smoke Bomb, forward+4 telepunch. It's actually not his best combo, but I use it cause it translates well from offline-to-online and it's good for getting your opponent into the corner. If that's too hard, try 3, d+1, 2, dash 3, d+1, 2 dash, 4, Smoke Bomb, forward+4 telepunch (or a second Smoke Bomb if in corner). I think this does 38% damage after a jump-in.

And if THAT'S too hard for you, 3, d+1, 2 into jump kick + air throw does around 25% damage and you can whiff teleport afterwards for oki. Back+2, 3, Smoke Bomb has it's own setups, but I can only write so much write now. In a nutshell, use that string in your footsie game.

And the so-called reset is just a government lie invented by the Czech Republic. It's not real.
Zmoke
06/02/2012 01:31 AM (UTC)
Smoke's gameplay is quite easy to learn yet it takes a lot to master him.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.