Australia, late to the party?
posted06/22/2012 07:28 PM (UTC)by
samuhai
About Me

Well, legislation has FINALLY passed confirming an R18+ rating for video games... FINALLY...

I doubt we will get an official release of MK now, unless Netherrealm are generous and perhaps submit the Komplete edition as a separate entity....
But at least for future MKs we won't have to worry about his ever happening again!

Just thought I'd update y'all :)
Unknown265
06/18/2012 02:10 PM (UTC)
That's good to know. Now Australians will have unhindered access to their games and get their own online servers for said previously-illegal-but-shouldn't-have-been-illegal-in-the-first-place games! :D

Now, just gotta wait till MK10 for Australian MK fans to fully see the effects....
hydraslash
About Me

"Sonya Blade, this is Grandmaster Sektor of the Tekunin Clan. Our consciousness is no longer bound to flesh."

Sonic 2 Meets Mortal Kombat?!

06/19/2012 03:28 AM (UTC)
However, is it still illegal to be in possession of MK9 at the moment? I think I read somewhere that the new legislation won't be official in states and territories until January 1, 2013... The reason I'm so hesitant to grab it if it's illegal is because the course I'm studying for at uni demands you have a completely squeaky clean criminal record to complete. Sucks balls, but it is the nature of the beast.
samuhai
About Me

06/19/2012 04:48 AM (UTC)
It's not illegal to possess it from what I understand, just to sell it/distribute it/show it in public etc etc... I got my copy from my brother's friend who went to the US and brought a copy back..

I imagine it will still technically be "illegal" even after the new rating is brought in next year, simply because they have to resubmit it for evaluation... But ah well. ^_^ It's the principle of the thing....
hydraslash
About Me

"Sonya Blade, this is Grandmaster Sektor of the Tekunin Clan. Our consciousness is no longer bound to flesh."

Sonic 2 Meets Mortal Kombat?!

06/19/2012 06:02 AM (UTC)
Sad face. I guess my fear of losing my uni degree outweighs my desire to kick butt as Sektor haha. I'll have to wait for MK10 I suppose.
Zmoke
06/19/2012 08:12 PM (UTC)
That's fantastic news. Let's wait for Mortal Kombat: Sheeva Edition then. It makes one only wonder why MKO hasn't posted anything regarding the Aussies' glory seeing it's been a popular subject elsewhere though.
raidenthefridge
About Me

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!

06/21/2012 09:56 PM (UTC)
Congrats.

This is a G'day.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
06/21/2012 10:56 PM (UTC)
Zmoke Wrote:
That's fantastic news. Let's wait for Mortal Kombat: Sheeva Edition then. It makes one only wonder why MKO hasn't posted anything regarding the Aussies' glory seeing it's been a popular subject elsewhere though.

MKO has actually had some of the most extensive and prompt informed coverage of the subject (which other sites have followed). We'll probably have an article up soon, but in the scheme of news, the latest step isn't anything we didn't already know. This is essentially covering the laborious bowel movement of political legislation, rather than the information itself.

You can follow the meat of the issue in the following articles:
- New MK Refused Classification in Australia
- Update: MK Banned in Australia, Customs on Alert
- South Australia to Adopt State Adult Video Game Classification
- Voting on Adult Classification for games in Australia to be Delayed
- Australia moves forward with the introduction of R18+ rating
- Vita Kombat Refused Classification in Australia
Zmoke
06/22/2012 01:56 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
MKO has actually had some of the most extensive and prompt informed coverage of the subject (which other sites have followed).

Yes, I agree: MKO has followed the Australian R rating procedure up close previously, which is why the wait for the latest news made me wonder. Okay, let's wait for the news then. Although I know it by now though, LOL.
X360A: Australia Ends Ban on 18 Rated Games, Written June 18, 2012
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
06/22/2012 04:05 PM (UTC)
Even if you aren't on Twitter, it's a good idea to pay attention to the MKO feed [top left of the site]. We cycle a lot of news and notes through there. The AU announcement was certainly noted, with source link. We'll probably have something more in depth over the weekend, still.
Zmoke
06/22/2012 07:28 PM (UTC)
I agree that Twitter is a necessity but it should never work as the trash bin for the less important yet clearly informing tidbits. I'll look forward to it.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.