Mortal Kombat - hidden and unused stuff.
posted01/28/2013 03:08 PM (UTC)by
RedSumac
I considered creation of this topic for a last several months, but finally decided to made it, being inspired by MK Haziness videos from great dedmk. This topic however will cover mostly unused sprites and animations from the whole series and also some other curious stuff. Some of those things are known already, but I think it would be nice to combine all this such things about all MK games in one big topic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mortal Kombat 1.

While being the first game in the whole series, MK1 has its fair share of unused stuff and interesting things. The first one is unused move of the Johhny Cage.

Yes, this is a Flip Kick, the one that for the first time appeared in MKDA as part of Cage's Karate fighting style and only in MK9 it has become a genuine special move. However, maybe it was his unused Fatality? More on that later.

There is something curious was found in the code of the arcade version of the MK1 - Goro and Shang Tsung actually has their own Bio screens. They're empty and seemingly were used as placeholders for the game code.
You can read more about it here:
http://forum.unseen64.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t;=2708&p;=30060&hilit;=mortal+kombat#p30060

And finally: several years ago I read in one FAQ that Johhny Cage should have had another Fatality than in the final version of the game. It also had information that Shang Tsung and Goro also were planned to have Fatalities, but they weren't implemented because of the deadlines.

FAQ were you can read about those Fatalities:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583599-mortal-kombat/faqs/709

And quotation from there:
The game has animation capability for three different fatalities, although
these three can not be used on any current versions of Mortal Kombat, and
will likely not be considered in future revisions, since most MK machines
have already been produced.

Due to time constraints these three fatalities were not implemented:

Cage: Original fatality was a Slide Kick, and when hit the opponent is
hurled across the playing field to smash against the opposite wall. No
extensive blood.
Goro: Goro grabs your head in his hands and there is a loud pop and your
head will be splattered as in Raiden's fatality.
Shang Tsung: Shang Tsung pulls out his sword and cuts your head off.
This was apparently the original reason that head popping was used for,
and the reason that Shang Tsung has a sword by his side.

For many years I fruitlessly believed that it was true and in the past year my suspicions were confirmed!!

Shang Tsung Fatality was found among the sprites of the MK1.

More than that - Tsung seemingly should have had his trademark laugh:

Seems his MK2 laugh was inspired by that.

As for the Goro's Fatality there weren't anything so far, but there is still something interesting about him. It seems he shoould have had death animation, where he falls on his knees. What is even more interesting is the fact that there is some sort of "stone" version of him. Maybe after his defeat Goro should have had turned into stone statue and explode, just like Shao Kahn in MK2?
There are only two sprites of the Goro on his knees in MK1, however, the full animation of it is existing and it was "unused" in MKT.

All sprites were ripped by awesome spriteripper Fly.
On the next week I hope to show some stuff from MK2.
Jct1984
07/06/2012 12:05 AM (UTC)
Interesting stuff. I keep a eye on this. Will you also be going into the adventure games as well?
RazorsEdge701
07/06/2012 03:40 AM (UTC)
Hey, neat to finally see the long-rumored Shang katana fatality sprites. Never heard about Goro turning to stone before though, that looks awesome.

There's a LOT of unused stuff hidden in the code for Special Forces (obviously, since it was planned to be a very different game but gutted and rushed out when Tobias left Midway) and Shaolin Monks (for instance, there were supposed to be banshee enemies and Shokan henchmen, not just Goro and Kintaro). A guy named Mechi used to have an MK encyclopedia site called "The Annals of Mortal Kombat" documenting all of it, but as far as I know, his site disappeared a few years ago. Maybe some of it's still available via web-archive?
balkcsiaboot
07/06/2012 09:09 PM (UTC)
Very fucking awesome!
Unknown265
07/07/2012 01:44 AM (UTC)
Hidden and unused stuff is always cool to know about!
UNdiscovered
07/07/2012 03:58 AM (UTC)
cooh
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
07/07/2012 08:47 AM (UTC)
RedSumac Wrote:
Due to time constraints these three fatalities were not implemented:
Cage: Original fatality was a Slide Kick, and when hit the opponent is hurled across the playing field to smash against the opposite wall. No extensive blood.

That Fatality sounds like the one Johnny Cage would use in MK1 on the Genesis if the Blood Code wasn't activated. You can see it in this video at ~1:47.
RedSumac
07/07/2012 03:39 PM (UTC)
Jerrod Wrote:
That Fatality sounds like the one Johnny Cage would use in MK1 on the Genesis if the Blood Code wasn't activated. You can see it in this video at ~1:47.

I think it is a possibility.
Gorozilla
07/08/2012 04:14 AM (UTC)
This some really cool info, thanks for posting it! grin

I've always liked Johnny Cage's flipping kick (or flippy kicks as my bro calls em), it would have been neat to see them in the first game. As for the Boss fatalities, I really wish those were implemented into the game. The Bosses are the biggest baddest opponents you have to go up against, so it's only natural they should be able to finish you off with a grand fatality. The stone Goro thing seems a bit odd though, but a unique death animation for him would have been cool.
Specter
07/08/2012 09:37 PM (UTC)
Hah very nice.
RedSumac
07/11/2012 09:51 PM (UTC)
Hello, everyone. Today I continue to introduce you to various unused elements from early MK games. Today we start with some stuff from MK2.

Mortal Kombat 2.

There was found something that look like background with Kintaro's shape cut in it. It is possible that at some point, Kintaro should have had an intro in the game, much like Goro in the first part. Or maybe his intro was part of the main introduction. I always found this strange that Kintaro have practically no mention in the game, unlike heavily advertized Goro in the first part. I wonder, why he was so underadvertized and why his Bio / Intro was cut from the game?

Also, in MK2 was found a big WF logo. It is possible that game shoud have had Wrestlemania advertisement at some point.

For whatever reason, MK2 still have sprites of the UFO, Witch e.t.c. that were used at the Pit background in the first game. Could it be that they were supposed to be used somewhere in MK2. For example on the Pit 2? Or they just leftovers form the first game?

Also, there were found misterious Kintaro sprites. From the shading and size of this sprites, I conclude, that most likely they were supposed to be used at the Kahn's Arena. The question is: where Kintaro should had been standing there? There is no obvious place for him. Maybe at some point, there were no imprisoned Sonya and Kano on the arena, so there were more place for Kintaro?

As always all sprites ripped by awesome Fly.
On the next week there will be more. Stay tuned.
Jerrod
About Me
Signature by Pred
07/12/2012 08:15 AM (UTC)
I always hated how Kintaro wasn't hyped compared to Goro in the first game. My friend and I had no clue who he was or why he was important, and some of us tried coming up with our own theories for him. Unless one read the MK2 comic (which basically states that he's only there to replace Goro), nobody knew who Kintaro was.
Rockchalk5477
07/12/2012 05:11 PM (UTC)
Very cool. Those moon shadow sprites are pretty funny.
I especially like the one with Peter Pan, Wendy, and the two kids.

Interesting stuff.
LordSkarlet
07/14/2012 04:49 AM (UTC)
Jerrod Wrote:
I always hated how Kintaro wasn't hyped compared to Goro in the first game. My friend and I had no clue who he was or why he was important, and some of us tried coming up with our own theories for him. Unless one read the MK2 comic (which basically states that he's only there to replace Goro), nobody knew who Kintaro was.

It's like NRS didn't think he would become such an icon as a sub-boss, hell I always considered him the real challenge in MK2 instead of Shao Kahn.
RedSumac
07/18/2012 08:11 PM (UTC)
Next installment of "Hidden and Unused" is here and this time we continue to talk about MK2. This time we start from Dead Pool arena.

It seems that Dead Pool was supposed to be much more animated than we have in the final game. There were found acid bubbles and acid drops, that supposedly should have been used on this stage.

Also interesting detail about Dead Pool - this arena should have had a red sky, visible through windows, much like in MK2 on the SNES and in MKT on N64. However, in the game red sky is blocked by black sprite.

I wish someone could make a mockup of a Dead Pool with those sprites, so we could see how this arena could have looked like with all of those unused details.

Now, we move to something more interesting. There were found Shao Kahn's sprites where he is rising from the throne. Most likely they should have been used before the final battle with Kahn.

Baraka:
It seems Baraka should have had at least two more special moves in MK2.

First one - is somekind of acrobatical flip. So far, I couldn't remember Baraka using anything like that. In general this move looks quite awkward and somewhat funny.

Second one - is familliar Baraka's Spin from MKT. I think it was unused, because Baraka would have been too powerfull, if he had it.

Also, looks like Baraka's baldes should have sparkled during his winning stance.

I hope somebody can combine Baraka's sprites from his winning stance and this sparking sprites.

As always all sprites ripped by awesome Fly.
If you want try to create Dead Pool or Baraka's stance with unused graphics PM me and I will sent you sprites in whatever format you desire.
On the next week more to come. Stay tuned.
RedSumac
07/25/2012 05:52 PM (UTC)
This is special issue of "Hidden and Unused". We jump from MK2 straight to the MKM. Recently ever awesome Fly managed to get into the gamedata and found a lot of unused stuff.

Do you remember this cute fluffy hellhound?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110813235940/mortalkombat/ru/images/0/06/MKM_Netherrealm_Hound.jpg

Well, while the game doesn't have any indication that this Hellhound was ever created in reality this monster have a full spriteset.
There are several animations of the monster: walking, runing, pissing (for some reason).

Another unused enemy is Flying Monk. He has separate animation for his bomb.

And another unused enemy from the game is Prison Warden. He looks like other Warens, however, has a never before seen weapon. It looks like strange kind of spear and acording to his animations he can shoot from it and multiple directions.

And finally there is another complete new enemy - Headless. It seems he was supposed to be two enemies in one. Looks like his body was supposed to walk around the stage and grab the player, while his head was shooting at Sub-Zero. For some reason Headless for different flying heads and four different palettes to them. There are also sprites of the head's projectile.

Body:

Heads:

On the next week I plan to return to the MK2 unused stuff.
Have a nice day.
Jerrod
About Me
Signature by Pred
07/25/2012 11:35 PM (UTC)
Headless would've been fucking creepy.
Lows90
08/03/2012 11:02 AM (UTC)
Very Fucking Awesome!! smile
i was searching for these sprites, thanks for posting.
if you have more, send me please??
Venkman28
About Me
I know what I have given you. I do not know what you have received.
08/13/2012 01:54 AM (UTC)
I don't have any animations, but I remember reading a magazine promoting MK3 when it was in the works.

One part of the article discussed a sound file where it was Johnny Cage's funeral, you could hear sobbing and we learn that it was Kintaro that killed him in a fight. Then the announcer said "Mortal Kombat 3, this time it's personal". I heard that file a few years later. This probably came around the time Daniel Pesina got canned. It never made sense why John Turk couldn't play Cage.

I remember there were rumors to play as Cage's ghost, Rayden and Goro and even then I knew it was BS because there would have been some proof (people did use some Photoshop back then to make it look true).
RazorsEdge701
08/13/2012 06:55 PM (UTC)
Venkman28 Wrote:
One part of the article discussed a sound file where it was Johnny Cage's funeral, you could hear sobbing and we learn that it was Kintaro that killed him in a fight. Then the announcer said "Mortal Kombat 3, this time it's personal". I heard that file a few years later. This probably came around the time Daniel Pesina got canned. It never made sense why John Turk couldn't play Cage.

I've heard that sound file too. I think it's on youtube, but I can't find it. Someone on the board linked me to it, I can't remember who...Noobsmoke92 maybe?
Venkman28
About Me
I know what I have given you. I do not know what you have received.
08/13/2012 11:19 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Venkman28 Wrote:

I've heard that sound file too. I think it's on youtube, but I can't find it. Someone on the board linked me to it, I can't remember who...Noobsmoke92 maybe?

I couldn't find it on Youtube. I listened to it from an MK fan website back in 1997 or 1998.
swampcrash_unknown
08/14/2012 01:57 PM (UTC)
It's on the Kombat Pavilion.
Noobsmoke92
08/14/2012 09:40 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Venkman28 Wrote:

Yes sir.

Actually,it is on Kombat Pavillon too. I can't find it on youtube now.

http://tabmok99.mortalkombatonline.com/mk3snd.wav
RedSumac
09/03/2012 04:01 PM (UTC)
New unused / hidden stuff will be posted tomorrow most likely.
Omnipotentguy
09/03/2012 07:40 PM (UTC)
There are also unused props that display in the games, but are not visible since they are off the screen border.

Using MAME cheats that break the screen limitations (so you can walk off the edge), we were able to see some new props including:

MK2 - The Red Portal stage has a GREEN TEMPLE building on the side of the stage that was brought back in MK Trilogy.
http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk2/arenas/theportal/
http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/more/mkt/arenas/

MK3 - The Bell Tower stage has a BELL that's in the game that we don't normally see.
http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk3/arenas/thebelltower/

I find it interesting that many of these unused Arcade elements were later implemented in MK Trilogy-- just like they were intended to be in the games all along. Such as the red background in the Dead Pool stage, for example, and the green temple on the Red portal stage.

If would be awesome if we could someday get fans to ADD these elements BACK to the Arcade games, like they were meant to be. As a definitive FINAL edition or something.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.