The Great Shaolin Tournament: Ideas from an artist.
posted08/30/2012 05:34 AM (UTC)by
foolishartist
The Great Shaolin Tournament

Before you read: This is just my re-imagining and take on the Mortal Kombat mythos. My aim is to ground it a bit. A heightened reality but I will still maintain the fantasy elements and even expand on that.

Quick summary on what I'm going to cover
  • Liu Kang as a rebellious Shaolin warrior (full head of hair through up until the third act, who then gets back to his roots by shaving his head, Monk-style in honor of Kung Lao.

• Sonya Burke, nicknamed by "Blade" by her agency partners. The name "Blade" is more of a rib from her partners as a joke as she would be well-versed in knife combat. Going for a more grounded approach here.

• Kano, an American/Japanese mercenary.

• Hanzo as the mysterious "Sasori" or Scorpion, however you prefer.

• Sub Zero as a ninja assassin who belongs to an ancient clan who has mastered the dark arts of Outworld sorcery allowing him to summon ice.
  • Reptile as a chaotic distorted reptilian being. He wears as a mask that allows him to breathe in Earth's oxygen. This is because he is from a hellish realm other than Outworld.

• Goro as a primary antagonist. Think Hardy's Bane except nine feet tall and well-versed in Outworld martial arts.

• The Great Kung Lao and of course Raiden and Shang Tsung.

• I will continually update this. I'm writing the opening in Final Draft or will probably do an unofficial web comic series and will post that. Would you guys like to me to continue on with this?

The tournament is held on Tsung's island. These spectators have seen Goro once or twice before as they're pretty much Tsung's servants and bitches, these servants were once Shaolins too but became corrupted by Shang. Tsung is pretty much God on this little island. The film would open up on the fight between Lao and Goro, Lao has never seen Goro until he makes his entrance. This would be his first sighting of something he has never seen before

The only characters I have planned are Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya. Her name "Blade" is a nickname amongst her and her agency brethren. Kano would be half American, half Japanese who has both his eyes until... Sonya brutally "knifes" his eye out which leads to him wearing an eye patch through out the remainder of the film.

Sub Zero (he would actually be known by his Chinese name in the script) and Hanzo have a side story going on which would be done in a flashback sequence where we see Sub kill Hanzo's family and leave him in to be buried in the fire.

Hanzo would then become Sasori or "The Scorpion" to westerners (like Cage). Raiden would be an elderly Asian mentor-type who looks like a beggar. Reptile would be spy for Tsung, a reptilian-type creature from Outworld. Very chaotic and psychotic (think a mixture between the Joker and Carnage), he would wear a mask that would allow him to breathe in the Earth's air as it would be foreign to him but would be completely naked.

How I envision these characters. Full credit to the artist who created Reptile.
    Michael Fassbender as Kano

Tom Hardy as Johnny Cage

Goro
Zentile
08/10/2012 04:38 PM (UTC)
Not sure why it's more realistic for Liu Kang to have a shaved head or Sonya to be called Burke.
Who nicknames someone "blade", anyway?

And if Reptile wears a mask because he's from Outworld, I assume Goro does as well?
foolishartist
08/11/2012 12:07 AM (UTC)
Kang has a full head of hair, he's rebellious until he becomes inspired by Raiden's tales of Lao. In the end fight, Kang shaves his head in honor of Lao and to defeat the beast who messed up his idol.

Should have expanded on the Reptile/mask thing. These creatures (only these creatures) are not use to the Earth's oxygen. Goro would have no problem with it since he isn't apart of that race and has gotten use to Earth's atmospheric conditions as he's been there for over 500 years. The reptilian creatures are completely alien in nature. Reptile might not even be from Outworld (but it's assumed), he would be from a hellish realm... Hence the use of the mask.

Blade is a silly nickname bestowed upon her by Jackson Briggs as rib. Teasing in a way. Her name Blade comes from her well-versed techniques in knife fighting. I will probably turn this into a web comic, that's something that's easier to do than a fan script or otherwise.
RazorsEdge701
08/13/2012 08:16 AM (UTC)
Why do people always look at Mortal Kombat and say "needs more realism"? Or more specifically, why is it "realistic" for magic to only come from alien realms and nobody on Earth to know about it?
Why do the Lin Kuei have to know "Outworld magic", why not just plain "magic"? Can't there just be spellcasters or people who believe in chi in the world? Fuck, the REAL Shaolin Monks believe in chi. They can't shoot it at people as fire, but that's what you do in a fantasy setting, you embellish to make things more interesting.
I'm fairly certain nobody ever looked at Big Trouble in Little China and said "can you make it so the Chinese kid who hangs out with Kurt Russell's character doesn't know what's going on and remove the old man who helps them out? All this wizard shit would be more believable if only the bad guys had access to it."
Or watched Highlander and said "Y'know, this movie would be better if it was just about Scottish dudes sword fighting and they didn't live forever or blow things up when their heads are chopped off, because I've never met a scottish guy who was 400 years old and shot lightning out of his neck."
Or watched Buffy and went "Why is the redhead from American Pie learning witchcraft? I can handle vampires and demons, but normal people casting spells breaks my suspension of disbelief!"
I just don't get this whole concept that Earth isn't allowed to have magic, that you can believe it on the screen but only if the badguys are doing it.
I get it if a character from mainstream society like Sonya or Stryker doesn't believe in it at first, but is quickly disabused of that notion upon encountering the other characters, but characters like the Lin Kuei and Liu Kang have very good backstories for the supernatural already. Coming from a secret society is enough.
Y'know what I'd do? I'd just take the source material at face value, don't dick with it, don't try to turn it into Dark Knight. Just play it straight like the Avengers movie did. If the director goes "This isn't campy, I'm not embarrassed by this setting or trying to hide from or disguise it, I believe in it and so should you" and that's the tone of his movie, the audience WILL fucking believe in it.
foolishartist
08/13/2012 10:43 AM (UTC)
I like your enthusiasm. I think video game films have gotten a bad rap but I think I'm not going to dismiss them entirely, I believe video game films can be put on the same level as comic book films and everything associating with that. My view however differs from yous but atleast we still both have (albeit different) ideas of what we would like to see and our intentions are all in the best. We both just want to see video game films succeed, thanks for your feedback.

smile
RazorsEdge701
08/13/2012 11:29 AM (UTC)
Well...I will definitely concede that the big obstacle with video game films as opposed to comic book ones is budget. It's hard to make a fireball or a Goro look good when you can't afford the really good CGI. And it's tough to get money for the really good CGI when the studio doesn't believe in the material, which they never really do with games.

Hell, it's tough to make a set look realistic without money. Tancharoen's videos nearly look like home movies by the environments he was shooting in, and that's a guy who is trying to do the whole Dark Knight-style "gritty realism" thing.

But shit, we now live in a world where a movie like Scott Pilgrim can get made. Sure, nobody understood the premise and nobody went to go see it...but it still got made and it looked perfect. We're getting closer.
foolishartist
08/14/2012 10:01 AM (UTC)
Updated. Check it out. My idea for Sub Zero is for him to look like a ninja, no blue front mask just completely black. He would use black majik to summon ice. He would be used a dark blue shoulder pad-type vest over the outfit.

Scorpion's outfit is similar to this, however he uses a yellow vest. This would be his way to mock Sub Zero's failed attempt on his life. The yellow represents the fire he survived. Beneath the mask, his face is quite scarred. Lack of eyebrows, patches of hair. You would see his face as he would reveal it to Sub in their battle. Sub Zero initially has no idea who Scorpion is and why this man is after him until it's revealed it's Hanzo. It would a fun little twist.

Turning this into an official web comic. You can follow me on reddit, my username is foolishartist.

Here's something from a web comic I'm doing. Enjoy!

Zentile
08/16/2012 04:55 PM (UTC)
Above all else I really just don't get the point of changing Sonya's name.
It just comes off as a forced change, for the fuck of it. It's not something that you're changing to help create a better story or a better character, it's just like... Hey, I want to make this more different from the games for some reason, I'll just change a character's name but still include it in as a nickname because fuck it.
foolishartist
08/21/2012 11:15 PM (UTC)
Just my way of grounding/changing up the character. Sonya has never been a particular good character, I would change it up because her name is just full of that 90's cheese that I would break away from. Johnny Cage works because he's full name is John Carlton. Some more artwork. It's simply an aesthetic change, nothing more, nothing less.

Zentile
08/22/2012 01:55 AM (UTC)
You say you'd like to stay away from the 90s cheese of "Blade"... but you're keeping it as her nickname anyway, so what's the point?
foolishartist
08/22/2012 06:28 AM (UTC)
Because there's a difference between the character's real surname being Blade to Blade just being a corny nickname bestowed upon her by her Special Forces colleagues as a rib as I've mentioned while still giving a tip of the hat to the source, changing it up for a contemporary grounded take.
Chrome
About Me

08/30/2012 05:34 AM (UTC)
Zentile Wrote:
Not sure why it's more realistic for Liu Kang to have a shaved head or Sonya to be called Burke.
Who nicknames someone "blade", anyway?

And if Reptile wears a mask because he's from Outworld, I assume Goro does as well?

Perhaps she is of foreign origin and when he "americanized" he translated her name.

Hell, as an author it would make a bit of sense to alleviate the trouble of pronuncing my name, and not directly translating it into Jackdaw Valentine (or Valentine Jackdaw as we use asian name order).

Or it could be an alias. Sonya Burke née Munroe. Or John Carlton Northsworth.
Just try to keep verisimilitude and don't come up with James Edgar AwesomeMcPowerFist for Kung Lao.

Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.