Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

DC Universe Injustice

Discussing DC Injustice and Mortal Kombat versus DC Universe.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 09/06/2012 02:58 AMStatus ::
No Immediate Plans for Mortal Kombat Sequel or DC Crossover

NetherRealm Studios will always be known as the developer responsible for Mortal Kombat, but if you thought their shift to a fighting game based on the characters of DC Comics was groundwork for a future crossover -- you'd be wrong!

CVG are reporting comments from NetherRealm Creative Director Ed Boon, who says development of Injustice: Gods Among Us as a separate series will likely prevent any future meeting between the two franchises.

Never say never, of course, but we loved how our last Mortal Kombat game was strictly Mortal Kombat. And when you think about it, the last Mortal Kombat game we did, it really had the essence of the series more so than any other game in years.

With Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, there's two pretty different audiences; one which wants to see violence and blood, and there's another that wants to see grand superhero moments. We were kind of balancing on a fence trying to accommodate both audiences with Mortal Kombat vs. DC.

Liu Kang battles Flash in Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe.

Boon oversaw development of the groups' first tryst with DC superheroes in the 2008 crossover - Mortal Kombat versus DC Universe. The title was the last published by Midway Entertainment.

MKvsDC is perhaps best remembered for perceived compromises imposed upon the violence associated with Mortal Kombat. While many of MK's trademarks were intact in reconigsed forms, even [Ed] Boon notes the contrast.

Funnily enough, we were playing Mortal Kombat vs. DC and we were surprised at how tame it was compared to Injustice."

Update: Boon has also talked to CVG about the future of the core Mortal Kombat series [full story], noting there are no plans for an immediate follow-up to the 2011 reboot, either.

Describing the popular practise of incremental updates to major titles in the fighting game genre, Boon discussed the importance and difficulties of providing a unique new experience in sequels. The MK co-creator has pointed to a new generation of hardware as the most likely destination for the next Mortal Kombat. Read the full story at ComputerAndVideogames.com.

I'm a big fan of fighting games, but some of them I've seen are just a re-skin of the same game with much prettier graphics and new characters.

Effectively it just delivers the same experience, and over the course of time these games sell less and less and less and less. I think you need to offer something that hasn't been done before. Like with Injustice, no one has done what we're doing with the game's backgrounds, and I think that's a big part of why it will appeal to fans.

Injustice: Gods Among Us is expected to arrive for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U at an undetermined date in 2013. Thanks to C-Sword for providing links. If you think you've found news, send it our way with the submission form. Discuss all things Injustice and MKvsDC in the DC Universe Injustice forum.

MurcielagoPosted: 09/06/2012 03:24 AMStatus ::

Visits::2471
Nationality::United States
RE: No Plans for Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe Sequel

Fuck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
PSN: Inxomniac
Jaded-RavenPosted: 09/06/2012 03:53 AMStatus ::

Visits::12259
Nationality::Denmark

This is good news. I didn't care much for MKvsDCU and I don't see any reason to make a sequal to it. MK is a solid series on its own and I would rather they focused on the canon instead of alot of spin-offs. Injustice also looks pretty solid so far. It was definately the right choice to keep the two worlds apart.

ErmaScoPosted: 09/06/2012 06:26 AMStatus ::

Visits::4900

Best news so far.

I think everybody should start shouting "No more crossovers" "no more guests characters" and we will be fine.

LucaTurilliPosted: 09/06/2012 07:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::2785

Good.

blacksaibotPosted: 09/06/2012 09:08 AMStatus ::

Visits::9045
Nationality::Bahamas

THANK GOD.

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 09/06/2012 09:39 AMStatus ::

Visits::19710

MK and DC do better on their own, so this is a good thing.

ErmaSco Wrote:
Best news so far.

I think everybody should start shouting "No more crossovers" "no more guests characters" and we will be fine.

Hey now, I'm still waiting for a Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter crossover.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
sonicherosfan1Posted: 09/06/2012 09:45 AMStatus ::

Visits::2646

Thats too bad. I was really looking forward to it one day. But like he said. Never say never. So it is still possible, just not in the near future.

I actually had more fun with, MK vs DCU than what I did with the new MK game. Violence just doesn't excite me anymore like it did back with the first 4 MK games.

ZmokePosted: 09/06/2012 09:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

Shaolin Monks spiritual successor > Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe 2

GoukiPosted: 09/06/2012 11:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::873

Well the good news is, no MKvsDC 2

Bad news is no plans for Mortal Kombat "2"...

Perhaps by 2016, a new MK will arrive. A follow up? Who knows... but im hoping though ;)

RiyakouPosted: 09/06/2012 11:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::5624

I'm totally glad there will be no MK vs DC 2.

As for MK10, I've already predicted it wouldn't be released until at least 2015. However, if NRS wants to take their time on it, and release it in later years, they'd better give Injustice the highest replay value possible.

Of course, MK2011 does have pretty good replay value itself. Still, I'm not sure if it'll last long enough for most people.

UltimateRyuPosted: 09/06/2012 11:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::4493

Is Gods Among Us still eligible for Mortal Kombat guest characters or as DLC?

lastfighter89Posted: 09/06/2012 01:47 PMStatus ::

Visits::5316
Nationality::Italy

No more MK vs DC=> good
MK "2" or 10 ruled out for this generation=> VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD.

I hope for a spin-off.

GoDisNotHereTODAYPosted: 09/06/2012 01:53 PMStatus ::

Visits::7460

While I am anxious for MK10, I find this to be good news. I don't want it to be like Armageddon, and released at the very tail end of the current gen console life cycle.

I think next gen MK is gonna be mind blowing and I can't wait to see what they come up with! Even if it isn't until 2015....

ShaolinChuanPosted: 09/06/2012 03:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::14899

I'm a little saddened by this (no MK10 this gen), but on the plus side I'm kinda happy for it as well. I rather see something mind blowing than a bunch of rehashes like Armageddon. I just hope they don't change the core of the gameplay too much because MK9 was perfectly balanced.

Good for no crossover with DC, but perhaps one day MK vs SF will happen....at least I can dream.

Baraka407Posted: 09/06/2012 03:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::8960

I'm okay with that. MKvsDC was alright, but probably best as just a one-off. As much as the gaming press loved MvC3, I couldn't get in to it even with all the years after Capcom ran the whole versus thing in to the ground having passed.

I don't mind a guest or two for MK so long as it makes sense. My inner Killer Instinct fan would still love to see Jago and/or Orchid guest in an MK game. Lord knows that'll happen before we see KI3.

Wow, if we don't get new systems out until 2014, then it could be another three years before we're playing a new MK game. That sucks.

JohnBoyAdvancePosted: 09/06/2012 03:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::13181
Nationality::United Kingdom

SAD FACE.

Now I'll have to do a shitty Mileena meets Harley Quinn fan fiction for no raisin.

HattorisPosted: 09/06/2012 04:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::1918

While I'm sad that there will be another long wait before the next true MK, I'm relieved that WB Games isn't pulling a Midway by forcing them to have another MK ready by next spring.

The wait from one true MK to the next was less than 5 years, from 2006's Armageddon to 2011's MK. On that note, here's hoping we'll get it before 2016! I'd like one more MK to come out before I go into my 30s

ShinomunePosted: 09/06/2012 04:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::8727
Nationality::Spain

With Injustice released in 2013, it's hard to think that MK10 will be released before 2015. And I think that the next gen will come in 2014-2015, so isn't really a big news for me.

oraclePosted: 09/06/2012 04:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::9365

I'm a big fan of fighting games, but some of them I've seen are just a re-skin of the same game with much prettier graphics and new characters. Boon you better be talking about your own franchise here considering the near decade we got of the same game over and over again getting worse and worse almost every year.

Both of these things are good. With MK vs DCU they took neutered both universes characters. When you have a crossover it should be the best of both worlds and not the worst of two. I'm not opposed to another crossover event but it definitely has to be handled better. Maybe they could start with an MK comic book or something.

As far as no new MK for awhile. BEST NEWS EVER. Midway needed a new MK every year because it was their only good and profitable franchise. That sucked NRS DRY creatively. Now with more time to make other games and and prepare they can hopefully release quality games every iteration.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
ErmaScoPosted: 09/06/2012 05:02 PMStatus ::

oracle Wrote:
I'm a big fan of fighting games, but some of them I've seen are just a re-skin of the same game with much prettier graphics and new characters. Boon you better be talking about your own franchise here considering the near decade we got of the same game over and over again getting worse and worse almost every year.

Both of these things are good. With MK vs DCU they took neutered both universes characters. When you have a crossover it should be the best of both worlds and not the worst of two. I'm not opposed to another crossover event but it definitely has to be handled better. Maybe they could start with an MK comic book or something.

As far as no new MK for awhile. BEST NEWS EVER. Midway needed a new MK every year because it was their only good and profitable franchise. That sucked NRS DRY creatively. Now with more time to make other games and and prepare they can hopefully release quality games every iteration.

Not turning this into MK vs the world, but MKDA-MKA had more innovative changes (not 100% successful though) than any of the other franchises.

No other franchise underwent changes as much as MK and before you start crapping on the games, I enjoyed them, that's playable enough for me. I do t give a crap about Evo or tournaments or what they recently name professional gaming , I am just looking for some fun after work/school and the games did jus that.

Ninja_MimePosted: 09/06/2012 05:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::20830
Nationality::Sweden

oracle Wrote:

To be fair they were trying their best, expanding in ways that were certainly unconventional. Midway just fucked them over. And it was only about 5 years.

As for the news, not unexpected. The wait may be longer but I'm sure waiting for next gen will pay off in the end. This doesn't seem to shoot down the possibility of a current gen spin off though, which would be exciting.

BiohazardEXTREMEPosted: 09/06/2012 05:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::3390
Nationality::Canada

Kind of disappointing news. The latter part anyway. No immediate plans for new MK, and the sheer fact that they don't even want to put out another MK this generation is pretty disappointing. I'm not every sure if I'm gonna buy a next generation console.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
sonicherosfan1Posted: 09/06/2012 06:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::2646

I agree. I personally, have no plans on buying either a PS4 or the next Xbox. I don't see why they can't make a version for the ps3 and ps4?

ErmaScoPosted: 09/06/2012 06:38 PMStatus ::

The whole "I don't have plans to upgrade to next gen consoles" pretty much reminds me of the whole "Hell I am not buying a crappy 360 nor Piece of Shit 3" argument back in 2005.

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.