Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • August 6th, 2018
    MKO's Interviews with the Film Cast: Coming Thursday [Read On]
  • July 29th, 2018
    MK Online Stream to Host Movie Star Q&A Friday [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    Kombat Kon Date Announced: October 27, 2018 [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    SDCC: Paris Jackson Cosplays Sonya at Comic-Con [Read On]
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (51.0%)
Out of kredits. (48.9%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 09/25/2012 11:09 PMStatus ::
Kommunity: Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat vs Tekken

Since their arcade height in the early nineties; camps loyal to Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter have been at furious odds.

The classic rivalry continues to play out on home consoles, at major live events, and in the routine scrutiny of the fans and their representatives in the enthusiast press. Gamesradar recently put Scorpion in their Top 7 Fighting Game Characters behind Street Fighter's Ryu; while the mascot pair faced off in a live-action fantasy fight thanks to IGN START.

It's fair to say Street Fighter IV was at the forefront of the current fighting game renaissance, seizing control of 2009 and 2010 with the sequel that restored the franchise to full power. Thanks to last years Mortal Kombat reboot, the American series bounced back from a change in owners, finding traction with its updated fighting engine and freshly reinstated brutality (absent from Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe prior).

MK continued to find success in 2012, maintaining a dedicated community following that supported its entry into a second consecutive appearance in the Evo Championship Series. A fitting build to the official twentieth anniversary of the series in the second half of the year. Sniff the winds of change, however, and another player is clearly making a move for the top spot -- and they aren't fighting one on one!

On the crest of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, IGN have thrown down a triple threat tale of the tape, measuring each series by the numbers [full story].

It's easy to forget Tekken was just a couple of years behind the seminal 2D fighters, building toward a polygonal dynasty in the an era of dying arcades and PlayStation home dominance. That could be, in part, due to the relative few titles that make up the Tekken franchise, at least when compared to the massive sprawl of Street Fighter revisions and Mortal Kombat expansions.

Tekken Tag 2 brings the tag team formula back home for the first time since the launch of PlayStation 2. In many ways, it's been a return to favor for Tekken, after falling somewhat out of favor in recent years. It clearly has a world of momentum behind it right now, but does that hype equal supremacy over its rivals?

You can probably conclude the preference of Mortal Kombat Online pretty quick, but don't let a home ground advantage rule the visitors out just yet! Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Super Street Fighter IV, Dead or Alive 5, Killer Instinct, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, and many more series all have healthy representation within the MKOmmunity.

So, we put it to you: In the battle of the current big three (as determined by IGN), whose knuckle-filled cuisine reigns supreme? Is there another fighter that deserves representation? Deliver your conversational combos on the forums!

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 09/25/2012 11:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::19712
Nationality::United States
RE: Kommunity: Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat vs Tekken

If I had to rank them it would be:

1. Mortal Kombat
2. Tekken
3. Street Fighter

But I really enjoy all 3 of these fighting games, and they have cemented their names in gaming history. As a fighting game fanatic, I play a lot of fighting games, but these 3 are definitely the foundation of fighting games for me.

I'm also really anticipating Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. I've been asking for a Smash Bros type game for the Playstation for YEARS. So now it's going to happen and I'm very excited for it.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
mkwhopperPosted: 09/25/2012 11:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::4514

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
What? No Dead or Alive? >.>

Anyway...
MK>Tekken>SF

RiyakouPosted: 09/26/2012 12:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::5625

The biased diehard fan in me would go straight for MK.

However, the thinker in me never goes by game, but by character.

Here's the breakdown!

1. CHARACTER APPEARANCE
I am always one to shoot for the appearance of fighting game characters, and a good look goes a long way. Of course, Yoshimitsu is a masterpiece ever-changing, but Scorpion and Sub-Zero share the most iconic image in the genre, not to mention Mileena was featured in Playboy in her Deception alt. Street Fighter... what do I care what Ken wears on Saturdays?

MK: 1
TK: 0
SF: 0

2. CHARACTER GAMEPLAY
Mortal Kombat was definitely known early on for its characters' immense batch of special moves that makes up for the lack of better mechanics. Street Fighter, however, has always amazed me with its broad range of individual styles. Above all though, Tekken definitely takes the crown due to its third installment, which introduced powerbombs like Ling Xiayou, Brian Fury, and Eddy Gordo.

MK: 1
TK: 1

3. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
In all aspects, I want characters to grow and move further in their franchises. Street Fighter falls flat on that, for me. While I love playing, the only part of the characters that ever truly changes is their faces. Ryu much? Anyhoo, Tekken isn't that far ahead either. Though the series always adds something new to the characters' styles with each installment, everything else seems to remain the same. Lili needs new clothes, and Forest Law needs to just die already. MK strikes another point, because when it comes to MK discussion, character development is always a hot topic... unless it's Scorpion

MK: 2

4. CHARACTER-STORY RELATIVITY
This match up here is a bit one-sided, because in addition to the blood and gore, Mortal Kombat is known for its broad storyline and character roles, even if 27 of them are flawed. With every Tekken game I play, I see at least 20 characters, but only 6 or 7 have anything to do with the actual story. Street Fighter has a story?

MK: 3

5. CHARACTER REPLAY VALUE
I must admit, all three series have a shitload of replay value. However, that doesn't say much for the characters. Many of the characters in all three series I've denounced after only playing with them once or twice. However, I've done that with almost every Street Fighter character. The only ones I play with regularly are Vega (US), Juri, Cammy, Dahlsim, and C. Viper. I don't really care for any of the rest. As for Tekken, I've taken a shine to quite a few of them, and I'm always looking to add more to my list of regulars. Can't really say that for MK, though. I didn't really have a large list of regulars until MK2011, and even then I often stick to a few.

MK: 3
TK: 2

Overall, Mortal Kombat wins for this one, though if Soulcalibur was added, there might have been a different story.

SubMan799Posted: 09/26/2012 12:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::15217
Nationality::Vatican City

MK > SF > TK

b-donPosted: 09/26/2012 01:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::373

SubMan799 Wrote:
MK > SF > TK

switch Street Fighter and Tekken,And that's my thoughts.

Thanks to Minion for the Sig!
TheMkGeekPosted: 09/26/2012 03:07 AMStatus ::

Visits::3300
Nationality::Canada

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
If I had to rank them it would be:

1. Mortal Kombat

2. Tekken

3. Street Fighter

Ditto for sure

NephritePosted: 09/26/2012 06:05 AMStatus ::

Visits::3779
Nationality::Croatia

SubMan799 Wrote:
MK > SF > TK

Same here.

ZmokePosted: 09/26/2012 06:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

Mortal Combat >> Iron Fist ≥ Alley Fighter

Philip94Posted: 09/26/2012 08:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::232

1. Mortal Kombat
2. Tekken
3. Street Fighter

acidslayerPosted: 09/26/2012 10:12 AMStatus ::

Visits::836

street fighter,tekken,mortal kombat.

i did see and read the article few days ago. wish the list had dead or alive,king of fighters,darkstalkers.

the reason why i have my list the 3 way it is.

street fighter great 2d fighting game to play.
tekken great 3d fighting game to play.
mortal kombat fun fighting game to play to see finishers/whatnot.

raidenthefridgePosted: 09/26/2012 12:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::3798
Nationality::Northern Ireland

For me its MK>TK>One man one Jar>SF

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!
Vash_15Posted: 09/26/2012 02:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::11780

MK>Tekken>SF>SF: The Rehash>Super SF: The Rehash

flameshangPosted: 09/26/2012 04:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::3651
Nationality::Togo

MK
SF
TK

KhankillerPosted: 09/26/2012 05:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::229

MK FTW.. I don't think they're nearly as brutal...except maybe KI.

skahwtPosted: 09/26/2012 09:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::476

MK>TK>SF

Have any of you fighting game junkies played DOA5 or TTT2? I'd really like to get one but don't have time to invest in both. Which is better?

oraclePosted: 09/27/2012 12:35 AMStatus ::

Visits::9427

Tekken>Mortal Kombat>Street Fighter

In general Capcom has been pissing me off lol.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Linkuei_FrostPosted: 09/27/2012 09:50 AMStatus ::

Visits::137

Tekken > Street Fighter > Mortal Kombat.

GodlyShinnokPosted: 09/27/2012 11:10 PMStatus ::

Visits::4818
Nationality::Panama

Mortal Kombat for characters.

Street Fighter for gameplay.

Tekken for graphics.

SekktorPosted: 09/27/2012 11:29 PMStatus ::

Visits::1078

Mortal Kombat. The only Street Fighter I've ever played was Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4. Never played Tekken.

rollins gif 1 photo rollins-entrance-o_zpsieu5io2u.gif
RiyakouPosted: 09/28/2012 08:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::5625

Sekktor Wrote:
Mortal Kombat. The only Street Fighter I've ever played was Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4. Never played Tekken.

You are missing out on some good stuff, man.

You should totally check it out. Tekken's awesome!

demongeneralPosted: 09/29/2012 02:53 PMStatus ::

Visits::122
Nationality::United Kingdom

never played street fighter or tekken so its obviously MK for me and i dought i will ever change my mind

the demon general has arrived.

PickleMendipPosted: 10/03/2012 10:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

Obviously MK is my favourite. Tekken is great but i've never owned any of the games because until recently they've been PS exclusive, so i've never really been 'into' it. The only other fighters I like are SSB and KI, never liked SF at all. There's nothing really special enough about it for me.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
Human-Smoke-4-everPosted: 10/03/2012 01:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::1815
Nationality::Ireland

Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Tekken

Capcom gets alot of criticism [most of it is deserved] but they did manage to do somethings right unlike Mk or Tekken. Atleast Ryu doesn't always win [Like Liu Kang] or have Ken and Ryu alternating winning the tournaments [like the Mishimas in Tekken since forever] and they knew enough not to keep Sagat a revenge crazed lunatic for 20+ years [looking at you Scorpion]

Why couldn't this ending have happened?
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/03/2012 02:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::19712

Human-Smoke-4-ever Wrote:
Street Fighter

Mortal Kombat

Tekken

Capcom gets alot of criticism [most of it is deserved] but they did manage to do somethings right unlike Mk or Tekken. Atleast Ryu doesn't always win [Like Liu Kang] or have Ken and Ryu alternating winning the tournaments [like the Mishimas in Tekken since forever] and they knew enough not to keep Sagat a revenge crazed lunatic for 20+ years [looking at you Scorpion]

To be fair, Ryu has about as much character development as Scorpion.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
Page of 2

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.