Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 2 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]
  • July 18th, 2018
    Lost Kontent: Tobias Shares MKvDC Comic Art & MK4 Reptile [Read On]
  • July 17th, 2018
    John Tobias to Feature on Comic-Con Digitized Graphics Panel [Read On]
  • July 15th, 2018
    Ed Boon Avatar Change Sparks MK/DC Fan Speculation [Read On]
  • July 13th, 2018
    James Wan & Ed Boon Rebuff False Movie Reports [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Round 3: FIGHT!
Sonya Blade (67.6%)
Nightwolf (32.3%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 3

Mick-LuciferPosted: 12/03/2012 12:25 PMStatus ::
Warner Brothers Announce Legacy 2 Casting - Tagawa Returns!

YOU will be NEXT!No, you didn't stumble back in time. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is the name that jumps out immediately in official Mortal Kombat: Legacy casting information, fresh from Warner Brothers!

The Japanese-born actor returns to the role he made famous in the 1995's Mortal Kombat feature film - replacing Johnson Phan as Shang Tsung! Tsung appeared only briefly in a string of Legacy cameos during the first series [Episodes 3, 4 & 8], but with a penchant for taking the forms of others, you've got to think this is one of the least jarring of the casting changes.

Casper Van Dien (Starship Troopers) and Mark Dacascos (Double Dragon) add more nineties Hollywood nostalgia to the list, joining the series as Johnny Cage and Kung Lao, respectively. This will be the first time Kung Lao makes it to a live-action adaptation, one of the few Mortal Kombat II characters to remain untouched by film. His ancient ancestor was the primary focus of the short-lived Mortal Kombat: Conquest series.

Harry Shum (Kuai Liang) filming Legacy Series 2 with Kevin Tancharoen.

Recently cast Harry Shum Jr [full story] has officially been revealed as Kuai Liang - the Lin Kuei warrior who becomes Sub-Zero (MKII). Brian Tee (The Wolverine) joins as Liu Kang -- traditional hero of the Mortal Kombat tournament that the series promises to tackle.

Fans will get a first glimpse at Series 2 February 17, 2013, when Kevin Tancharoen presents a special first-look during the Streamy Awards. Tancharoen returns to direct and co-write, with Josh Baizer and Marshall Johnson. The series will then debut proper on Machinima, sometime in the 2013 Second Quarter.

The first season of "Mortal Kombat: Legacy" was one of the most-viewed web series of 2011 with more than 60 million views to date on Machinima. In the second season the saga continues as Liu Kang and Ermac join the ranks of fighters introduced in the first season of the web series including Kenshi, Kung Lao, Kuai Lang, Stryker, Kitana, Mileena, Johnny Cage, Scorpion and Sub Zero. This new season will uncover the rivalries and histories of these fierce warriors as Raiden and his recruits clash against the dark forces of Outworld. The epic battle for Earthrealm has finally begun!

"Fans are in for a real treat with the second season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy," said Tancharoen. "With added visual effects and storylines that dive deeper into our warriors as they make their way to the tournament, we’re taking this series to a whole new level. I'm really looking forward to showing fans the first clip during the Streamy Awards on February 17. "

“Machinima and our audience have been eagerly awaiting the next chapter in this series, and I’m thrilled to announce that Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 will return to its original home on Machinima,” said Allen DeBevoise, Chairman, Co-Founder, and CEO of Machinima. “We have become a destination for episodic narrative series thanks in part to the first season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy, and we look forward to breaking new ground with this much anticipated new season.”

“Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2" comes from producer Lance Sloane ("H+: The Digital Series" / "Act of Valor") and Kevin Tancharoen (“Mortal Kombat: Legacy”) who also serves as the series’ director. Production services are provided by Bandito Brothers, and Hayden Roush and Marina Stabile serve as Line Producers. The series is written by Josh Baizer, Marshall Johnson and Kevin Tancharoen. “Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2" is produced by Warner Bros. Digital Distribution and distributed by Machinima, Inc.

As previously reported; Ian Anthony Dale returned to filming as the ninja from hell, Scorpion; while Dan Southworth (Power Rangers: Time Force) joins in an as yet unannounced role [full story]. Sadly; Jeri Ryan, Matt Mullins and Tahmoh Penikett have been confirmed as not returning to their first series roles [read more].

Mortal Kombat Online will be following progress on the series eagerly. Keep up-to-date with the latest news, rumors and conversation on the Media & Merchandise forum. Get more from MKO and the cast by following @MK_Online.

sonicherosfan1Posted: 12/03/2012 12:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::2646
Nationality::United States
RE: Warner Brothers Announce Legacy 2 Casting - Tagawa Returns

:) YES!!! I hope its not just for MKL and he comes back and plays Shang in the new MK movie.

BIG_SYKE19Posted: 12/03/2012 12:53 PMStatus ::

Visits::1188

just watching that dude yesterday. lol

he did decent in the movie....i like it.

wrdlfe21version21Posted: 12/03/2012 01:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::9039

Hell yeah!

Sub-Zero_7thPosted: 12/03/2012 01:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::19142

Awesome news. Shit is going to get real now!

sonicherosfan1Posted: 12/03/2012 01:10 PMStatus ::

Visits::2646

I know I am being greedy now. But, it would have been cool for Lambert to return and play Raiden again.

ShaolinChuanPosted: 12/03/2012 01:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::14903

That's excellent news, but I'm confused... Are they working on the movie at the same time as thr web series? Wouldn't working on the web series effect the production on the movie? Thought the movie was due out next year 2013?

Mick-LuciferPosted: 12/03/2012 01:46 PMStatus ::

Visits::19973

ShaolinChuan Wrote:
That's excellent news, but I'm confused... Are they working on the movie at the same time as thr web series? Wouldn't working on the web series effect the production on the movie? Thought the movie was due out next year 2013?

May or may not be time to start expecting the movie to be pushed back.
If Legacy 2 goes well, they could always crank a film out before the end of 2013, though. They always said Tancharoen's speed was one his virtues. No reason a $40 million movie couldn't be ground out in four months.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
blacksaibotPosted: 12/03/2012 02:06 PMStatus ::

Visits::9078
Nationality::Bahamas

BEST FUCKING NEWS YET!!!

Noob7SmokePosted: 12/03/2012 02:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::1651
Nationality::Mexico

This is awesome. Can't wait.

big thanks to flameshang for the sig.
NephritePosted: 12/03/2012 02:53 PMStatus ::

Visits::3779
Nationality::Croatia

So we're going to have a Hawaiian Kung Lao? Hmm...

Sweetre15Posted: 12/03/2012 03:44 PMStatus ::

Visits::1475

Nephrite Wrote:
So we're going to have a Hawaiian Kung Lao? Hmm...

Well he has Spanish, Filipino, and Japanese ancestry...

Sweetre15Posted: 12/03/2012 04:08 PMStatus ::

Also, on Larnell Stovall's Facebook wall he reveals that Sam Tjhia is back as Kitana and Michelle Lee is replacing Jolene Tran as Mileena.

Michelle Lee is also a martial artists but she seems to practice more grounded fighting than the rest of them who know but use aerial moves more.

lastfighter89Posted: 12/03/2012 04:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::5388
Nationality::Italy

Mark Dacascos is a terrible actor and he doesn't resemble Kung Lao very much, but he is a great martial artist. Let's say I'm biased towards him because he portrayed Eric Draven in the TV series, ruining my all time favourite movie.

Casper van Dick...ehm Dien is a ridiculous choice...I mean, that guy is 44 years old. He canned Jeri Ryan because she was 43, and now we got a "old" guy to portray JC? That's nonsense, especially after botching Matt Mullins, AKA real life Johnny Cage, out of the window.

Harry Schum Jr as Sub-Zero is an offense to both MK fanbase (despite few, of course) and John Turk. The have nothing in common, both physically and personality-wise. I can't belive that Sub-Zero is portrayed by a dancer. Luckly, he will appear 90% of time in his masked persona, so it will be easy for stuntmen replace the useless Glee star during combat.

Samantha Jo, Darren Shahlavi, Michael Jay White and many others are hinted to be replaced, despite their perfect job. Ok, I can understand the "we're looking for more famous actors" thing, but who in hell is Casper Van Dien? C'mon he was in Sleepy Hollow and Starship Troopers and despite having a important role almost nobody reminded of him.

Mark Damascos si famouse in the martial arts silverscreen, but mainstream...he's nobody.

The only good new is the return of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung, although Jason Phun or whatever is written did a good job as Shang Tsung in episodes 3,4,5,7 and 8.

Sweetre15Posted: 12/03/2012 05:00 PMStatus ::

lastfighter89 Wrote:
Mark Dacascos is a terrible actor and he doesn't resemble Kung Lao very much, but he is a great martial artist. Let's say I'm biased towards him because he portrayed Eric Draven in the TV series, ruining my all time favourite movie.

Casper van Dick...ehm Dien is a ridiculous choice...I mean, that guy is 44 years old. He canned Jeri Ryan because she was 43, and now we got a "old" guy to portray JC? That's nonsense, especially after botching Matt Mullins, AKA real life Johnny Cage, out of the window.

Harry Schum Jr as Sub-Zero is an offense to both MK fanbase (despite few, of course) and John Turk. The have nothing in common, both physically and personality-wise. I can't belive that Sub-Zero is portrayed by a dancer. Luckly, he will appear 90% of time in his masked persona, so it will be easy for stuntmen replace the useless Glee star during combat.

Samantha Jo, Darren Shahlavi, Michael Jay White and many others are hinted to be replaced, despite their perfect job. Ok, I can understand the "we're looking for more famous actors" thing, but who in hell is Casper Van Dien? C'mon he was in Sleepy Hollow and Starship Troopers and despite having a important role almost nobody reminded of him.

Mark Damascos si famouse in the martial arts silverscreen, but mainstream...he's nobody.

The only good new is the return of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung, although Jason Phun or whatever is written did a good job as Shang Tsung in episodes 3,4,5,7 and 8.

Actually, Larnell confirmed on his Facebook page that Sam Tjhia is returning and Michelle Lee is the new Mileena. Also Eric Jacobus is our new Stryker.Havent seen his movies but he's a great fighter so who knows. I doubt Michael Jai White and Darren will be recast though but Ryan Robbins likely will since he's working on Something in Canada and NOT LA where it's filming.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 12/03/2012 05:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::20795

I kinda liked Phan. He looked like Shang. But he looked like Young Shang and I've always wanted to see a live action OLD Shang.

All I wanna know is if Tagawa's gonna grow a damn beard this time. He did it for Heihachi, so he damn well better.

lastfighter89Posted: 12/03/2012 05:08 PMStatus ::

thanks, can you post the full known cast of MK Legacy 2?

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/03/2012 05:54 PMStatus ::

Visits::20979
Nationality::Sweden

This is huge.

lastfighter89Posted: 12/03/2012 05:56 PMStatus ::

I was thinking...perhaps Dan Southworth could be the new Raiden and John Wusah Kenshi?

asmodeusPosted: 12/03/2012 05:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::4764

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KenshiMaster16Posted: 12/03/2012 06:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::10253

As soon as I read Mark Dacascos all I did was picture him standing in full costume with the hat on, head tilted so we get a sight of the bladed edge and I got the casting choice. Tee as Liu Kang I also get, as according to Kevin we're getting some sort of different take on the character, at least I think I remember him saying that.

Harry Shum Jr. is an okay actor from what I've seen when my wife is watching Glee, and some of the episode's I've witnessed, the man (besides being a dancer) is incredibly limber and flexible and with what he may need to be taught or not taught, I'm sure as he'll be masked in the Zero outfit (hopefully) that I'm positive he can pull this role off so I'm none too worried about him.

Dien is the only casting choice I'm slightly let down by as I really liked the previous actor for Cage BUT I'm willing to hold off judging anything until I see the man in action in Season Two.

Consider me very curious about the rest of the casting, including Kenshi.

HELLSCORPION2Posted: 12/03/2012 06:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::2850
RE: Warner Brothers Announce Legacy 2 Casting - Tagawa Returns!

So Kuai Liang is Sub-Zero in season 2 or is he Tundra and Bi-Han is stll Sub-Zero and they enter the tournament together?

lastfighter89Posted: 12/03/2012 06:15 PMStatus ::

HELLSCORPION2 Wrote:
So Kuai Liang is Sub-Zero in season 2 or is he Tundra and Bi-Han is stll Sub-Zero and they enter the tournament together?

Some episodes will be "prequels" of the tournament, they are named "origin" episodes, much like season 1.
I don't think we shall see Tundra/Kuai Liang that much in action, maybe he will appear alongside his brother, Bi-Han SUb-Zero.

The same goes fro Kenshi; he will not appear in the tournament episodes, he will just get his own "origin" story.

raidenthefridgePosted: 12/03/2012 07:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::3798
Nationality::Northern Ireland

Awesome :D Glad Shang is back.

With Kung Lao in this I believe Kintaro is the only MK1-3 character to not appear in movies or TV shows.

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!
Sweetre15Posted: 12/03/2012 07:54 PMStatus ::

Also, if this isn't going to release until the second quarter of 2013 then KT and WB are taking this go-round much more seriously than before.

Page of 3

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.