RAIDEN electrocution fake -3rd try
posted01/01/2013 05:48 PM (UTC)by
saiZero
About Me

Thanks for everyone's input on my last recreation of my original Raiden Electrocution fake Hey I'm getting a better hang of all this HTML now - lol - love me for it UR grin

Here is my new version! It was initially a three-part fake (similar to the style of blacksaibot's multiframed fakes when he was known as xtreemist) I realize that this is "technically" the same WORLD as the last fake, but instead of being in that awkward looking hallway/room, I brought the fight otuside which fit Raiden more like in the MK4 story intro. The mountains were something I found on google... no, I cant draw my own mountains yet. all of the lightning was by me of course, and so are the extra lightning clouds in the background the yellow light effects were done by me too. I didnt want to have lifebars this time, cuz it made the thing look ugly. I got the blood spraying idea from this fake. I wanted to make his head explosion look like a bloody, sticky, mess.

Version 2: Raiden is shoving electricity into Jax's mouth through his entire body, not just his head... but his head still explodes grin

Version 1 (original version): SO basically Raiden is shoving electricity into Jax's mouth, and exploding his head
balkcsiaboot
12/31/2012 12:59 AM (UTC)
God damn, you sure type up a lot just to post a simple fake.

I think you should start showing your fakes to either VenoMark or myself before posting them.

It's definitely an improvement of your first two attempts... though I fear that my Bridge of Immortality has steered you in the wrong way as far as making your own arenas are concerned...

I will type up a more detailed critique when I can give you my undivided attention.

...and I was wondering when you'd post this because it was already added it to the website.
saiZero
About Me

12/31/2012 01:06 AM (UTC)
blacksaibot Wrote:
God damn, you sure type up a lot just to post a simple fake.

I think you should start showing your fakes to either VenoMark or myself before posting them.

WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN??? furiousfuriousfurious

blacksaibot Wrote:

It's definitely an improvement of your first two attempts... though I fear that my Bridge of Immortality has steered you in the wrong way as far as making your own arenas are concerned...

I will type up a more detailed critique when I can give you my undivided attention.

...and I was wondering when you'd post this because it was already added it to the website.

Next time you can save ur breath until ur ready to post it all at once.

VENOMARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
balkcsiaboot
12/31/2012 01:11 AM (UTC)
The animation:
Fantastic job recreating the electrocution effects similar to Stryker's fatality in MK3. Well done placing the skeleton in the correct spots. I actually imported your GIF and viewed it frame-by-frame. Very cool looking!
I think down the road you should make a complete animation. From start to finish. Ya know? You have all the hard work done already. You just have to fill in the gaps.
The fatality:
I like the idea of his head being electrocuted through the mouth. Now that is an original idea around here. His head exploding is definitely a nice touch instead of having another god damned torso rip. I am very proud you did not reuse the head chunks from Jax's MKII fatality; you took on the challenge of splitting his head into pars and drawing the blood. I have to complain though, next time don't cut them in a perfect 45 degree angle. That looks out of place.
The electricity still looks too "faded" and should be brighter, which MKR had already pointed out to you. This should have been fixed. Stop overdoing it with the layers you've learned to use. Not everything looks cool transparent.
I'm flattered you drew inspiration from my Acid Grenade fake (the blood squirting). It's nice that you didn't do it as blurry as I did... but it just doesn't fit this fake. I used those effects because the whole idea behind the fatality and what it was doing to cage. Your fake, on the other hand is his head exploding. I would have been happier seeing brain chunks flying around.
So, the last frame is not my favorite at all. Sorry.
The Stage:
Well the perspective is an improvement, and you managed to edit-out the ugly blurry visuals of MKM:SZ in this. I'd like to know how. Just sharpening the image??? Even the colors on the platform look improved. Thank you for at least not just cutting and pasting from the game.
Instead of using Google Images, you could use the MK4 textures more that I sent you. I know they're a bit ugly, but that's where your artistic abilities come in handy; you edit it and make it work. At least you're still using MK copyrighted material only.
Overall, I like this stage a lot more. It definitely does go with Raiden more. I hope you do a Fujin fake next. His powers will challenge you to use your imagination for a fatality, and it will force a lot more custom editing. Just please don't reuse Nightwolf's arrow and call it a crossbow.
I think this get's a 3.5 score. Maybe if this was what you had done from the get-go, it would have been a 4 or 4.5.
GoobieDoob
About Me

Signature made by Zmoke

12/31/2012 01:23 AM (UTC)
This is pretty awesome. I like both versions. How did you get a picture of Jax being electrocuted while on his knees?
balkcsiaboot
12/31/2012 01:29 AM (UTC)
GoobieDoob Wrote:
This is pretty awesome. I like both versions. How did you get a picture of Jax being electrocuted while on his knees?

She didn't "get it" ... she pretty much "made it."

saiZero, sine it's your work I will leave it up to you to show him, frame by frame... and explain how you did it.

GoobeDoob should be your apprentice.
UltimateRyu
12/31/2012 01:45 AM (UTC)
Lmao. Anyways you get cool points right off the bat for originality. I like the idea of an "animated fake". This one has just the right frames and doesn't need to be made into a full blown animation. The background meshes very well but is it your own (MKM)? Love the electrocution effects - very pleasing to the eye. The gore frames however need a lot of work. I'd rather you just loop the electrocution frames and turn it into something cool people could use or display. Venomark should be your apprentice.
balkcsiaboot
12/31/2012 02:08 AM (UTC)
UltimateRyu Wrote:
... Venomark should be your apprentice.

Not cool
saiZero
About Me

12/31/2012 02:12 AM (UTC)
Apprentice huh? Well, I will explain everything in that case...

First I needed to get Jax on his knees. That was simple enough. I didnt like how in his original sprite you can't see his calf/lower leg on his left leg (our right). so I cut the leg in half and flipped it vertially (mirror)

Then I needed a sprite where he looked like he was in pain. So I cut and paste the two together.

Raiden's victory pose was modified. I didnt want him looking in the sky so I used the sprite where he's looking (kinda) down. I needed Raiden to stand straight up so I used his legs from his final victory pose.

Last, I looked at Stryker's fatality and what they used to create the effect So I just modified my sprites in the same manner as the MK team did.

UltimateRyu Wrote:
Lmao. Anyways you get cool points right off the bat for originality. I like the idea of an "animated fake". This one has just the right frames and doesn't need to be made into a full blown animation. The background meshes very well but is it your own (MKM)? Love the electrocution effects - very pleasing to the eye. The gore frames however need a lot of work. I'd rather you just loop the electrocution frames and turn it into something cool people could use or display. Venomark should be your apprentice.

Glad u liked it =)
The platform is indeed from MKM.
balkcsiaboot
12/31/2012 02:27 AM (UTC)
Take notes, GoobieDoob, because I am.
... I would have never thought of doing that.
VenoMark
12/31/2012 05:45 AM (UTC)
UltimateRyu Wrote:

I think the thick, sasquatch-like hair on your knuckles is preventing you from seeing that this fake possesses, in fact, nowhere near the level of originality for which you've accredited it. Taking cheap shots at artists who are clearly better and more respected than you doesn't make you any less irrelevant. Not only that, but notice how she practically pleads for my assessment. Stick to...whatever it is that you do and keep your infantile, misguided remarks to yourself. You are the epitome of failure.

Anyway, I'd first like to say that the level of sprite editing that you've achieved is a lot more impressive than anything you've done prior to this piece. As an animation, I'd say that you've all but failed in producing something above mediocrity. The inconsistencies between frames (Raiden's lightning flickering a bit too rapidly and the choppiness of Jax's head exploding) really negate the potential this has an animation. Causing his head to balloon just a tad would've been a nice touch and could've aided in the prevention of aforementioned choppiness.

I am a much bigger fan of Version 1, though I would suggest that you brighten the backdrop--the brightness being more prominent in the area of the lightning bolts--during the lightning strikes and possibly remove the lightning bolts in either the first or third frame, giving the impression that the background itself is animated. The blood could definitely use a bit more work, since blood doesn't look this linear unless it's spraying from a tight orifice, specifically in the area of a major artery. Moreover, there should be quite a bit more blood or, at least, blood splattering in thicker spurts. I commend you for the electrocution effect and the level of detail that it achieved. That said, there should have been at least a pair of frames between the first and second frames that exhibited the effects of the electrocution.

In conclusion, Version 1 is respectable, but could have been helped by the inclusion of the aforementioned amendments. Overall, I'd give it a rating of 5/10. Don't be discouraged by that rating or blacksaibot's comment suggesting that you allow he and/or I to preview your work as you progress through various stages of completion. To this day, he and I make the most of one another's expertise and experience and value each other's criticism very highly--and with good reason.

For future reference, I advise you to dedicate yourself to one idea and refrain from relying on multiple mediums in hopes of receiving positive criticism one way or the other. Dedicate yourself to either animating or producing a still or series of still image(s). Otherwise, you'll find yourself distracted and ultimately have a distorted view of your own work, which inevitably leads to overlooking clear errors in either piece. That is all.
balkcsiaboot
12/31/2012 06:11 AM (UTC)
saiZero Wrote:

You circled the wrong leg wink
UltimateRyu
12/31/2012 03:44 PM (UTC)
VenoJoke wrote:
"I think the thick, sasquatch-like hair on your knuckles is preventing you from seeing that this fake possesses, in fact, nowhere near the level of originality for which you've accredited it. Taking cheap shots at artists who are clearly better and more respected than you doesn't make you any less irrelevant. Not only that, but notice how she practically pleads for my assessment. Stick to...whatever it is that you do and keep your infantile, misguided remarks to yourself. You are the epitome of failure."
hahaha that's rich.. Jealous of my manliness? Just means I got more hanging down below than the string bean you got dangling there. The fact is this fake is better than anything you have produced in the last decade.
balkcsiaboot
12/31/2012 05:44 PM (UTC)
UltimateRyu Wrote:
VenoJoke wrote:...

but Joke doesn't rhyme with Mark sad

See, now, BlackFagbot works... but VenoJoke is just a no.
VenoMark
12/31/2012 06:03 PM (UTC)
blacksaibot Wrote:
UltimateRyu Wrote:

You know better than to expect anything original or creative from this guy, bud. Seeing as how my username is a combination of my original character "Venom" and my first name, "Mark", I don't see anyone of his intellectual ineptitude being inventive enough to coin a derisive moniker worthy of being acknowledged by anyone. At least he didn't go the route of Zmoke and dub me "QuestionMark" or "VenoBark". Two peas in a pod, they are. Try again, UltimateFailure. sleep

See, "UltimateFailure" is fitting because, as exemplified by his juvenile rejoinder, UltimateRyu fails at everything that he's done. That is all.
saiZero
About Me

12/31/2012 06:49 PM (UTC)
Please don't turn my thread into a flame war sad
VenoMark
12/31/2012 07:04 PM (UTC)
saiZero Wrote:
Please don't turn my thread into a flame war sad

Don't fret; that is the last time that I'll be acknowledging the village hater's redundant juvenile behavior. I wasn't going to respond at all given the infantile manner in which he retorted, but I suppose that boredom got the best of me. I do apologize for even bothering to waste my time and yours with that reply, though.

You do realize, though, that he's going to continue to remark in this manner simply to get a rise out of me, correct? I suggest that you follow my lead and disregard anything that he has to say, given that his opinion doesn't exactly hold any value not only artistically speaking but in general as well. It's for the best of both of us, certainly.
balkcsiaboot
01/01/2013 05:48 PM (UTC)
blacksaibot Wrote:
UltimateRyu Wrote:

It just amazes me how I get not one, but two fucking skull points for "insulting" no one other than than myself... And here I was convinced that it was the every day users who ran people away from this website.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.