Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • November 20th, 2018
    Rumor: Spanish Voice Actor Exits Unannounced MK Game [Read On]
  • November 8th, 2018
    Kung Lao and the Scorpions - Music and Interview! [Read On]
  • October 30th, 2018
    Pics and Video from Shang Tsung's Fight Night 2018 [Read On]
  • October 26th, 2018
    Prepare Yourself: Shang Tsung's Fight Night & MKO Meet & Greet [Read On]
  • October 16th, 2018
    Tomorrow’s MKO Twitch Stream to feature speedrunning champ, Outworld! [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (57.1%)
Out of kredits. (42.8%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 01/09/2013 04:24 PMStatus ::
Legacy: Tancharoen in the Editing Suite - Teaser

Mortal Kombat: Legacy returns for a second series late in 2013, but the teasers have been coming since the original July announcement. Director Kevin Tancharoen has returned for a new year, delivering another sneak peek, this time from the editing studio.

Your guess is as good as ours, but if we're not mistaken, that looks an awful lot like Dan Southworth as he appeared in photos from 2012. Popular rumors peg the Power Rangers: Time Force actor as Legacy's Kenshi -- a character with plenty of reason to look a little worse for wear in the eyes [as pictured].

Kenshi is one of the few enduring icons of the Deadly Alliance era, introduced ten years ago as an arrogant sword saint who was humbled when Shang Tsung tricked him into releasing the souls of his ancestors. The event is responsible for blinding Kenshi, leading him to develop heightened extra-sensory abilities (thanks in part to a little training from cult favourite: Ermac!).

Fans won't have to wait long for a live-action viewing of Legacy 2 -- the series officially debuts online (via Machinima) in the Second Quarter of 2013. A special preview will feature during the Streamy Awards a little sooner, February 17.

Get all the available information and teaser images from our special Legacy Series 2 Kompendium! You can also discuss and speculate about every conceivable topic in the Media & Merchandise forum.

Noobsmoke92Posted: 01/09/2013 04:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::7588
Nationality::Azerbaijan
RE: Legacy: Tancharoen in the Editing Suite - Teaser

Damn,looks legit. I like Kenshi's long hair,definitely looks like a Japanese swordsman to me.

blacksaibotPosted: 01/09/2013 04:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::9078
Nationality::Bahamas

Why the fuck does this website always say "invalid forum" every time I want to post a comment from the main news page? Jesus...

ANYWAY... I cannot wait for Season 2!!!

Noob7SmokePosted: 01/09/2013 07:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::1681
Nationality::Mexico

Sweet....

big thanks to flameshang for the sig.
KineticPosted: 01/10/2013 12:05 AMStatus ::

Visits::7946
Nationality::United States

Why does Kenshi look like he belongs in feudal Japan? He was one of the more modern characters in the game. For goodness sakes he wore plastic armor.

I have to say this, I am not a fan of Tancharoen's take on any MK character so far. That may put me in the minority, but I don't care.

blacksaibotPosted: 01/10/2013 08:00 AMStatus ::

Kinetic Wrote:
Why does Kenshi look like he belongs in feudal Japan? He was one of the more modern characters in the game. For goodness sakes he wore plastic armor.

I have to say this, I am not a fan of Tancharoen's take on any MK character so far. That may put me in the minority, but I don't care.

Meh.

I'm just glad Tancharoen doesn't put bindis on all the foreheads of his characters.

Sweetre15Posted: 01/10/2013 09:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::1475

Kinetic Wrote:

Maybe it's because that armor would make him look like he's in the WWE onscreen in a live action webseries and not like a serious swordsman.

KineticPosted: 01/10/2013 10:17 PMStatus ::

Sweetre15 Wrote:
Kinetic Wrote:

Maybe it's because that armor would make him look like he's in the WWE onscreen in a live action webseries and not like a serious swordsman.

Wearing antique clothing doesn't make him look like a serious swordsman, it makes him look like a LARPer.

SiangPosted: 01/11/2013 12:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::3125
Nationality::Australia

Kenshi in the game is feudal japan looking too in his story.. don't americanise everything, samurai's still do wear traditional garb for example

KineticPosted: 01/11/2013 01:12 AMStatus ::

Siang Wrote:
Kenshi in the game is feudal japan looking too in his story.. don't americanise everything, samurai's still do wear traditional garb for example

How does Kenshi look like he's from Feudal Japan in his story? In not one of his costumes does he come across as anything but modern.

Also, who said anything about Americanizing Mortal Kombat? Mortal Kombat is a very Eastern inspired video game series, while simultaneously having Western roots. It has a mix of both cultures, and pointlessly Americanizing any character, or any aspect of the story would be a disservice to the series as a whole. I agree with you on that.

However, I think that Tancharoen is prioritizing his personal aesthetic over the video game.

I completely accept the fact that different people have different takes on how Mortal Kombat should be interpreted. I know that many people find my redesigns of Mortal Kombat characters completely at odds with their own interpretations of those same characters. However, Tancharoen, in Rebirth at least, started to turn Mortal Kombat into something more closely resembling a horror/action franchise instead of a mystical/kung fu franchise. He certainly started to edge back toward canon for the first season of Legacy.

That being said, I think that his take on the series – although certainly interesting, and very good as its own story – has strayed too far from the canon.

And I think Tancharoen places his own personal preference regarding how the characters should have been over a re-interpretation of what they are.

It's one thing to trim down canon, and reinterpret characters to fit a narrative that can be easily told on screen (or any medium for that matter). That was what the first Mortal Kombat movie excelled at! Kano was made into someone who joined the Tournament to receive payment, instead of joining the tournament to find Shang Tsung's palace supposedly made of gold. Kitana was someone aware of her history, instead of brainwashed.

On the other hand, Tancharoen's re-imaginings are lazier, and destroy the cohesiveness of the story (which is the opposite of what the first Mortal Kombat did). He decided to make Sub-Zero and Scorpion from a feudal era. Which sets them in a completely different time period than the rest of the story, which confuses the whole history of the game. He made Jax a police officer instead of a Special Forces Agent. Which, aside from being pointless, did nothing to serve the story.

And, now it appears he's changing Kenshi to be someone that lived hundreds of years ago. On the surface, that doesn't make a difference: he can still be a great character. However, not only does it beg the question "if he was blinded back in Feudal times, how does he interact with the story, which takes place in modern day?". But it also is lazy. Instead of Tancharoen trying to come up with an explanation for how a character like Kenshi should exist in modern day and still use a mêlée weapon (instead of a firearm, for example), he decides to just say "oh, he's from a time before guns…problem solved."

I admit, I'm a hardcore fan, with hardcore beliefs. My views and opinions are my own, and you may disagree with them. At this point, it just comes down to preference.

Mick-LuciferPosted: 01/11/2013 12:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::20019

A lot of MK's characters represent old ideals in a modern setting. It's a wild leap in logic to assume anything in Legacy is set in the past. It's just as likely Legacy is upholding the ideals of reclusive clans who still live an old lifestyle -- exactly what we've known from the source material.

Legacy takes a lot of unnatural liberties, but this isn't really one of them.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
Sweetre15Posted: 01/11/2013 01:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::1475

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
A lot of MK's characters represent old ideals in a modern setting. It's a wild leap in logic to assume anything in Legacy is set in the past. It's just as likely Legacy is upholding the ideals of reclusive clans who still live an old lifestyle -- exactly what we've known from the source material.

^This...

MKshizzPosted: 01/11/2013 01:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::8620

Sweetre15 Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

^This...

x2

Thanks to MINION for the sig! My name is Ian, if you really care to know.
blacksaibotPosted: 01/11/2013 04:34 PMStatus ::

MKshizz Wrote:
Sweetre15 Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

^This...

x2

x3

I guess if Kinetic ever woke up in an Amish village, he'd think he went through at time machine.

KineticPosted: 01/11/2013 07:08 PMStatus ::

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

I beg to differ. The whole plot of Scorpion's story in Legacy was about the shōgun's arrival. Shōguns stopped playing a part in Japanese culture in the 1860s.

jwright1992Posted: 01/12/2013 07:24 AMStatus ::

Visits::1

Why does Kenshi have long hair though?

StormChaserPosted: 01/12/2013 11:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::131

Maybe he's a hippie.

One of his powers could be knocking out others with his body odor. Another could be killing people with vegan self-righteousness.

Page of 1

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.