Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 5 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • December 14th, 2018
    Best Buy Remove Liu Kang & Sub-Zero From MK11 Listing [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Record Speedrunner Beats MK3 In Under 5 Minutes [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Todd McFarlane Thinks Spawn Will Be in Mortal Kombat 11 [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Cinemassacre Ponders Shouting Mortal Kombat Kid [Read On]
  • December 12th, 2018
    James Wan Comments On MK Movie Delays [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

MK11 Trailer MVP?
Raiden (30.9%)
Scorpion (17.5%)
Shao Kahn (22.6%)
Mystery Character (28.8%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 3

Mick-LuciferPosted: 01/13/2013 02:51 AMStatus ::
Update: First Mortal Kombat Legacy Series 2 Cast Photo(s)

The July announcement gave fans of Mortal Kombat: Legacy a list of characters to shoot for, but today we get our first look at the costumed line-up thanks to social networking director, Kevin Tancharoen (@KTANCH).

Left to right: (Top Row) Liu Kang (Brian Tee), Shang Tsung (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa), Raiden (David Lee McInnis), Johnny Cage (Casper Van Dien), Kenshi (Dan Southworth)
(Bottom Row): Mileena (Michelle Lee), Ermac (Kim Do Nguyen), Scorpion (Ian Anthony Dale), [Director Kevin Tancharoen], Kung Lao (Mark Dacascos), Stryker (Eric Jacobus), Sub-Zero (John Wusah?), Kitana (Samantha Jo).

In trademark style, Legacy differs significantly from the classic Mortal Kombat aesthetic and detail. The adapted designs make it slightly difficult to identify every character appearing for the Series 2 Shaolin Tournament-inspired plot with absolute certainty [discuss].

The biggest question marks hover over the white-garbed fighter to Shang Tsung's left, and the black warrior to Scorpion's right. While Noob Saibot would be an easy guess for the latter, the character was absent from the announcement character list, where Ermac was confirmed for a highly anticipated appearance. With the series plot yet to be revealed -- and "Kuai Liang" confirmed to appear -- Noob can't be ruled out, in spite of traditional tournament timelines.

The unknown fighter in white may reflect either of the original games white-garbed competitors. A hint of blue fabric and what might be a hat on his back suggest a version of Raiden that continues the portrayal by Ryan Robbins -- an unshaven mortal form of the lightning god, who was entrapped in a mental institute in the much-discussed Eighth Episode. Kano remains another unaccounted for stalwart, with first series' Darren Shahlavi seemingly indisposed during filming.

Update: Stunt and fight coordinator Larnell Stovall (@larnellstovall) has added another angle on the group. With red wrapping and hat more visible, our mystery black and white men appear to be much more credibly identified, as we speculated, as Ermac and Raiden (respectively). Thanks to C-Sword and FCSyndicate for forwarding additional info.

The aforementioned first series actor, Ryan Robbins, has also lamented his role as Raiden via Twitter [below]. In his own words, the Canadian actor was "super bummed" and "REALLY tried," but was unable to reprise the role due to prior commitments [more]. David Lee McInnis can now be confirmed as his replacement.

All the photos, teasers and information for Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 can be found in our special Komplete Kompendium. You can comment and speculate on all aspects of Legacy in the Media & Merchandise forum. Get more by liking us on Facebook and following us @MK_Online.

GrimmPosted: 01/13/2013 03:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::12941
Nationality::United States
RE: First Mortal Kombat Legacy Series 2 Cast Photo

Regardless of who is next to Scorpion, which I'm assuming is Noob Saibot, he looks badass. Ermac's absence does concern me a little bit. I'm really hoping he didn't write him out of the story after all. It appears the guy on the top, presumed to be Raiden, has something on his back, which I'm just going to have to assume is probably Raiden's hat. Not digging Kung Lao's hat too much, but it could look worse after all. Not sure how I feel about Johnny Cage having facial hair, but the overall spirit of the character seems to be intact. And Shang Tsung does look badass.

MINIONPosted: 01/13/2013 04:04 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

Amazing Photo. That Kitana Actress is Breathtakingly Beautiful. I saw her in some other related material. Man oh man, lol.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
NephritePosted: 01/13/2013 07:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::3779
Nationality::Croatia

Grimm Wrote:
Not digging Kung Lao's hat too much...

Same here.

MINION Wrote:
That Kitana Actress is Breathtakingly Beautiful. I saw her in some other related material. Man oh man, lol.

She's freakin' AMAZING! Imo, she OWNS the picture. That's easily the most badass "real-life" Kitana! That costume looks brilliant, the pose is awesome, her face is beautiful! She perfectly embodied the Edenian beauty and the deadly assassin in one! My only complaint is the fan which doesn't look deadly enough.

I can't stop staring at her. Samantha Jo, you nailed it!

As for the others, Kenshi also looks BADASS! Subby and Shang Tsung look cool too and I'd say that Liu looks interesting. Definitely darker than we're used to seeing Liu.

I'd say the guy in white is Raiden, it really does look like that's a hat on his back. Also, that could be Ermac next to Scorpion in a costume similar to his MK2011 alternate, fans loved that one. But wait wait, now that I look at the pose, it reminds me of Noob Saibot's throw animation pose in MK2011. Actually, I hope it's Noob Saibot as I'd like to see Ermac in his Deception primary look, more red color + the gem + the mummy wraps.

What's up with Scorpion's face/mask?

Not sure what to think of Mileena... :-\

Oh Samantha... <3

Sub-Zero_7thPosted: 01/13/2013 07:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::19142

It's great to finally see the different characters in their costumes.

Kitana and Mileena: I'm definitely digging their costumes. Mileena's costume especially seems to go back to more of the MK2 style, which is great.

Kenshi: I'm really glad that Dan Southworth is playing as Kenshi. I think he'll do a good job playing the character. It's good that his costume is more reminiscent of his costume in the games.

Johnny Cage: It's cool that at least he has the sunglasses. I still would have preferred to have Matt Mullins reprise the role, but I'm going to be patient and see how Casper Van Dien's performance turns out.

Stryker: It still baffles me a bit that Stryker is in the tournament instead of someone like Sonya or Jax. There's really not a whole lot to say so I'll just keep an open mind about him.

Mystery person in white: It looks like that character is most likely Raiden. There's not much to say here either.

Mystery person in black: I'm very curious as to who this is. For him to be Noob Saibot or Ermac would be very strange.

Liu Kang: Well, we've seen his look before. He looks reminiscent of Jin Kazama from Tekken, which I'm not sure I'm crazy about. I guess I can see what they're trying to go for with the character, but I'm kinda iffy on it.

Kung Lao: He has an interesting-looking outfit on, more of a nod to the games. One thing I really hope for Mark Dacascos' portrayal of Kung Lao is that he comes off as the older, wiser one compared to Liu Kang.

Shang Tsung: It's great to see Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa reprise the role. I did have a feeling that he wouldn't have the hairstyle like in the games, but I'll let it slide. I mean, it would have been great to have a bit more of the iconic look, but I'm more interested in his performance.

Scorpion: It's kind of cool that they brought back the same costume from before. I don't particularly mind the topknot for him, but I'm not sure about his mask. I'm thinking that Kevin Tancharoen wanted to go for more of the iconic look with the mask.

Sub-Zero: His costume is not what I expected for the character. I actually really liked his costume from the first season. This costume seems to be going with a more modern feel, which makes sense. I'm especially curious as to how the character will be portrayed.

MINIONPosted: 01/13/2013 07:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

S-Z7th. Great to see you man, missed your presence here at MKO. We had some great convos over there in the Smallville thread back when. Take care bud.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
blacksaibotPosted: 01/13/2013 08:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::9078
Nationality::Bahamas

What the fuck kind of a stupid looking costume is Sub-Zero wearing? Is that supposed to be the Lin Kuei's paint balling uniform?

I've already expressed my dislikes with Jim Kaza...I mean Liu Kang.

Other than that, I'm fine with the way things are looking... even the straw hat for Kung Lao.

Now that Kenshi cut his hair and is wearing his plastic space outfit and Sub-Zero is wearing all his hockey pads, Kinetic can wipe up his tears and be happy that no one look likes a Fuedal Japanese Samurai. Yes?

(Erik)Posted: 01/13/2013 08:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::26952
Nationality::Ireland

That's Sub-Zero?

I thought it was Stryker in riot gear.

ShadalooPosted: 01/13/2013 09:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::7067
Nationality::Canada

If Kuai Liang's showing up, I'd say the black fighter is Noob. Too much of a departure for Ermac (I hope). Gonna say the guy in white is Raiden.

The tint of the picture had me thinking Scorpion was Rain at first.

MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
BrianMinor25Posted: 01/13/2013 10:52 AMStatus ::

Visits::140

I actually just saw this about an hour ago myself. Some of these are actually pretty good, and others... not so much.

There are just a few of these costumes that I actually really like. Kenshi looks spot-on and Scorpion is looking fantabulous. Kitana also looks much better than expected from after I saw her wardrobe. I seriously am hating myself right now for realizing that the "full body suit" impression was probably the model under the suit. I feel like such a fail. =P

I'm hoping Mileena gets a face mask almost always when on camera, as the whole "grow and get rid of teeth" thing will kind of bother me like Venom's, well... VENOM FACE was constantly pealed back for more face-time, but despite that she still looks great and, like Kitana, has a good adaption of her game outfit; that mix of ninja attire and unnecessary showiness.

I'm still a little bothered by Kung Lao's lack of a bladed hat. I'm wondering if he'll ever use it as a weapon at all in kombat. Maybe he applies it on during fights? Idk. Earier snapshots of the hat don't make it seem as so. Other than that, great guy, but I hope what I'm seeing isn't total baldness. I prefer my Great Kung Lao reincarnations to be reincarnated with hair.

Shang Tsung is looking... balder than usual. I really did want them to go the way of old man Shang Tsung, despite his younger appearances in the first season, but this is an interesting choice for a guy who has always been shown to have a good amount of long and facial hair. Maybe he wears a wig while on set. I'M HOPING. Haha... Idk, maybe it'll turn out great for this incarnation.

Is that Raiden in the top in white? I mean, I read the first post's notes, but wow. Quite different from what Raiden should look like in my head. A hat applied on during scenes? Lol, they've taken quite a bit of liberties with these designs, haven't they?

The guy in black and hooded... Seems suuuper Noob Saibot-ish. Since my favorite character is Ermac, the RED "ninja", I seriously hope that it isn't him. Great design, but not for him (although he did get a hood in his MK9 alt, so that can leave one to wonder).

*skips others*

And lastly... Oh, Subby, Subby, Subby. You didn't turn out that good at all. I'm sorry, but this design for this character looks horrible to me. Maybe it'll look better in action, but right here it looks far out of my taste for his character. That mask? Oh God. And that protruding chest plate? ... No. It's strange to me that Kevin actually took so much costume liberties with him of all people when Scorpion looks so well, and you KNOW all the typical fanboys (like me, shush) want to see a badass fight between the two without being distracted by whacky costume design. Meh. Again, I wont fully judge 'til the actual performance.

K, I'm done.

saiZeroPosted: 01/13/2013 11:00 AMStatus ::

Visits::1198
Nationality::Germany

Sub-Zero is such a disappointment!!!!

HELLSCORPION2Posted: 01/13/2013 12:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::2850

Maybe the guy in black is a Shadow Priest.

Kratos2011Posted: 01/13/2013 12:20 PMStatus ::

Visits::22
Nationality::United Kingdom

SCORPION: looks good and great to have Ian Anthony Dale reprise the role

SUB ZERO: not really the bad ass Sub Zero from the games but it's ok I suppose

STRYKER: hell yes! Eric Jacobus is an awesome martial artist and I'm glad they've bought Stryker back again! :)

JOHNNY CAGE: should probably wait and see his performance first but I feel Casper is a bit too old for Johnny, also I don't think the outfit or facial hair suits him

KITANA: I thought Sam T had a weak performance in the first season but I'm loving her look in this pic and yeah she looks beautiful, no match for Talisa Soto but good for a web series.

MILEENA: an improvement from the actress in season 1 but still nothing special, hope she has a big set of nasty teeth :)

RAIDEN: anyone know who the actor is in the white robes?

SHANG TSUNG: I actually like the bald look combined with the gown and he's bound to do a great performance :)

NOOB SAIBOT? next to Scorpion- looks really small to me.. could it be Scorpions son?

KUNG LAO: sorry Kung Lao fans but he looks terrible with that straw hat :(

LIU KANG: I've been bored of Liu Kang for so many years now so hopefully this meaner Liu Kang will spark some new interest for me in him

petrcechPosted: 01/13/2013 12:36 PMStatus ::

Visits::3135

absolutely blown away!

Kitana looks flawless. This is very exciting because NEVER has this incredible character given full justice (story/appearance) in any of the games or media (movies, shows..) except for season 1 of MK Legacy.

Counting the days till the launch of this...

photo 4693e3e5-2d4e-44a7-8c05-157857ef5f95.jpg
lastfighter89Posted: 01/13/2013 12:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::5401
Nationality::Italy

Wait...No Sonya?No Jax? No Kano?No Goro?

ZentilePosted: 01/13/2013 12:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::13934
Nationality::Portugal

lastfighter89 Wrote:

Where have you been? We've known about their absence for ages.

I LOVE this picture. The overall look is terrific and very fitting of a live action MK, in my opinion.
Dan looks awesome as Kenshi, that may be my favorite look for season 2, but I am biased towards Dan Southword so there's that.

Sub-Zero, Kitana and Shang Tsung are very impressive. Tagawa did it again, just him standing there makes him look threatening.

I understand the lack of love for Kung Lao's look, but I personally really enjoy it.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 01/13/2013 12:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::20795

Dammit, I knew Cary was gonna screw us on the whole "actually looking like the character he's playing" thing AGAIN. What was it about Tekken that he was willing to get it right but never does for Mortal Kombat? Just a matter of having a director who cares more about getting the costumes to match the source material?

lastfighter89Posted: 01/13/2013 01:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::5401
Nationality::Italy

Zentile Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:

Where have you been? We've known about their absence for ages.

I LOVE this picture. The overall look is terrific and very fitting of a live action MK, in my opinion.

Dan looks awesome as Kenshi, that may be my favorite look for season 2, but I am biased towards Dan Southword so there's that.

Sub-Zero, Kitana and Shang Tsung are very impressive. Tagawa did it again, just him standing there makes him look threatening.

I understand the lack of love for Kung Lao's look, but I personally really enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmyVkkDMrU

Noob7SmokePosted: 01/13/2013 01:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::1691
Nationality::Mexico

Well shang tsung looks good. Kenshi looks badass. Kinta..............AMAZING.

Not liking kung laos hat but maybe his performance will change my mind. Cant wait for this to start.

big thanks to flameshang for the sig.
NathanPosted: 01/13/2013 02:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::3962
Nationality::Germany

I want to know what they were smoking when they came up with that Sub-Zero design. Especially when Scorpion still looks so badass.

ZentilePosted: 01/13/2013 02:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::13934
Nationality::Portugal

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Dammit, I knew Cary was gonna screw us on the whole "actually looking like the character he's playing" thing AGAIN. What was it about Tekken that he was willing to get it right but never does for Mortal Kombat? Just a matter of having a director who cares more about getting the costumes to match the source material?

Why is that so important anyway? Cary NAILED Shang Tsung in the original MK and he didn't look a thing like the video game counterpart.
Tekken on the other hand had characters with matching looks but the movie sucked balls.

SiangPosted: 01/13/2013 02:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::3125
Nationality::Australia

I think they've got the cast spot on and there are amazing costumes!

Kung Lao's hat is a realistic take on it (seriously guys, wearing a metal hat which can slice someone in half would be impossible to wear in everyday life)

Sub Zero I think is more a nod to the cyber ninjas. It's worth pointing out too, this is the older Sub Zero (who wore the blue vest in the recent game). We've already seen the cast pic of Sub Zero with the ninjas sash on Instagram before.

MKshizzPosted: 01/13/2013 02:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::8620

Here's another cast photo at a different angle with different poses.

Looks like "Noob" is actually Ermac due to the red on his arms. At least that's what I think.

Why is Shang Tsung wearing such huge gauntlets? They look strange and scary.

Thanks to MINION for the sig! My name is Ian, if you really care to know.
johnny1upPosted: 01/13/2013 02:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::3635

I'll judge the looks from what I can tell from this photo, but I can't judge the characters as a whole until I see their performance. Some of these characters look really good, but some are a bit odd.

Liu Kang (Brian Tee): I think it's a decent looking costume. I don't mind the black jacket, but the hood is what kind of bothers me. I don't really want to see Liu Kang wearing the hood all the time, especially when fighting. I hope we see him without it. I do like how they kept the red-black color scheme though.

Shang Tsung (Cary Tagawa): Let me just put it this way: Good robes, good Cary Tagawa, bad baldness. But hey, two out of three ain't bad. I do think that hair and a fu manchu mustache would have made this a perfect or near-perfect look for him though.

Man in White (?): First of all, I think that this character is Raiden for sure. Is that Ryan Robbins? I can't tell. But look at his costume: White robes with a touch of blue and what is most likely a straw hat on his back; it just screams Raiden. It looks very good.

Johnny Cage (Casper Van Dien): First of all, I think Van Dien seems like a good actor to play Johnny Cage. Sure, we're all sad that Matt Mullins isn't here anymore, but we shouldn't hold that against Van Dien. I think he looks the part, I'm indifferent to the facial hair; if it was a long, full beard then it would bother me, but this is just a light goatee. I do not like the striped shirt, but I think the jacket looks okay. It would be better if he had a nod to his ego somewhere on the outfit (i.e the word "Cage" on his shirt). Overall, I think it's good.

Kenshi (Dan Southworth): Oh, man this is awesome! There's Kenshi, short-haired and blindfolded like he should be. A lot of people were worried that he was going to be in a Japanese kimono and have long hair. I'm guessing he used to be a wandering swordsman, and that was when he had the long hair and kimono. Then after he went blind he cut his hair and put on some cooler clothes. It's so awesome to see the Quantum Ranger as a Mortal Kombat character. Probably my favorite costume so far.

Man in Black (?): So apparently it's between Noob and Ermac. I thought it was Quan Chi with a hood. I would've expected a mask if it were Noob, and if it were Ermac then I would expect a red trim and a mask. I don't know, but I'm still thinking Quan Chi. It's not a bad costume, but it's nothing special. EDIT: I just saw the second cast shoot, which leads me to conclude that I have no idea who the heck this is. What looks like a red trim makes me lean towards Ermac. The face reminds me of Quan Chi or maybe the ghoul Baraka from season 1. The hellish appearance makes me think of Noob.

Scorpion (Ian Anthony Dale): I think it looks good, but the mask looks weird in that picture. I can't put my finger on what it is; it just doesn't seem to attach right. I think it's cool how it looks like his original one except it's been through hell.

Ktanch (Kevin Tancharoen): Wow! Badass! I think this costume looks better than any of his in-game costumes!

Kung Lao (Mark Dacasos): It looks a lot like his in-game costume except with a different color scheme. The main thing I notice is his hat; I don't mind the fact that it's made of straw, but there's nothing else in the costume that compliments it. The hat is light in color and everything else is dark. Tancharoen said the blade was hidden, so I won't complain about that. It looks like he's got a shaved head; I guess it make sense since he's a Shaolin Monk, but does it look good? Not really. I'd say this costume is average.

Stryker (Eric Jacobus): I don't really like it. It looks like a generic black SWAT uniform. I don't really get why Stryker is in here, but I will say that if he's just taking Sonya's place then I will be sooooo pissed. When I heard Jeri Ryan was not coming back in season 2, I assumed there was going to be another actor to play the character. We can't do the first tournament without Sonya! And Stryker will not work as a replacement. Other than that, there's not much to say. Costume is not that impressive.

Sub-Zero (John Wusah?): Wow. A lot of people really hate this costume. I actually think it looks kind of cool except for that plasticy chest piece. It's a more modern costume with some traditional pieces as well. I think the mask looks pretty cool too. I like it a lot better than his series 1 costume.

Mileena (Michelle Lee): I actually thought I was seeing Sindel until I read the casting and saw the sai that she's holding. I hope the maskless look is just for the photo shoot. I thought it was kind of stupid that she could hide her tarkatan teeth and just look normal (well, normal plus the joker scars) in the first season of Legacy. Other than that, I think this costume is very good, It reminds me of her MK2 look.

Kitana (Samantha Jo): She looks a little bit different then I expected. Her outfit looks a lot more blue than I thought it would be after seeing it on the mannequin. Must be the lighting. I also didn't realize that the pants had those "hole" things in them; I thought they covered the whole leg. Hopefully the suit is more skintight than it was in season 1, where they were just baggy pants with giant holes in the thigh area. If the outfit knows what it wants to expose then it will look good. It wasn't exactly what I thought it would look like, but it looks very very good. Another favorite of mine. Again, it resembles her MK2 costume, only it looks a little bit more authentic. I don't really like the fan though. It looks delicate and I don't see any blades on it. But then again, looks are often deceiving. And the fan issue is a separate note. The costume is still awesome regardless.

hey
NephritePosted: 01/13/2013 03:06 PMStatus ::

Visits::3779
Nationality::Croatia

MKshizz Wrote:
Here's another cast photo at a different angle with different poses.

Looking at Scorpion there it seems to me like he doesn't even have the mask. It looks like they painted his face as to show his skin is ripped (skull face).

LOL @ Raiden there. I wish they colored his hair white/gray.

Tnx for the pic!

Page of 3

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.