Eurovision Song Contest 2013 Superthread of Euphoria
posted11/30/2013 12:33 PM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!

Malmö, Sweden May 14 - May 18
2012 winner: Loreen - Euphoria

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
01/17/2013 02:31 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

I just imagine the Mileena fans on the site loving the devastating flying crotch driver finisher at the end.
Harle
01/17/2013 06:34 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

I just imagine the Mileena fans on the site loving the devastating flying crotch driver finisher at the end.

You're right. As a Mileena fan, I am drawn to all things crotch.

Did that seem like "Kill Bill Vol. 1 - The Club Remix" to anyone else for a second there? The snow, the twirling...

Also, gotta love the part where she is kidnapped by that guy who pops out of the shadows.
Nephrite
01/17/2013 10:14 AM (UTC)
YOU DID NOT!!!

Harle Wrote:
Also, gotta love the part where she is kidnapped by that guy who pops out of the shadows.

My fave part is the crab walk during the first chorus. grin
PickleMendip
About Me

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.

02/03/2013 12:26 AM (UTC)
Isn't it a bit soon to start getting hyped for Euro(trash)vision?

Voting's mostly political anyway, and i hate that the UK always seems to find the dirgiest crap to throw in the ring each year. It's an insult to the amazing history of artists we're famous for; from the Beatles to Blur, from the Sex Pistols to the Bangles, from the Smiths to PJ Harvey. (i could go on). Who was it last year?? Englebert Humperdink!?!? he hasn't been relevant since the 70s

That Euphoria song was a bit too club-dance for my taste but i can see why it was perfect for this. I honestly thought the Russian grannies did a much better job. Fun yet forgettable pop is what it seems to be all about. Sweden needs to stick to things like making edgy films about maladjusted goth girls with body art depicting certain mythological creatures.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/03/2013 05:45 AM (UTC)
PickleMendip Wrote:
Isn't it a bit soon to start getting hyped for Euro(trash)vision?

360 days of Eurovision hype a year. You know it.
Nephrite Wrote:
YOU DID NOT!!!

You know I did! glasses
Kamionero
02/03/2013 06:18 AM (UTC)
Oddly similar style....

BTW, i thought the MC hammer sideways walk was outlawed...
Nephrite
02/03/2013 01:06 PM (UTC)
PickleMendip Wrote:
Voting's mostly political anyway, and i hate that the UK always seems to find the dirgiest crap to throw in the ring each year.

I'm just as frustrated with all the disgusting Croatian entries in the 21st century (few exceptions aside). Our entries were far better in the '90s and especially back during the Yugoslavia days when we won the competition once (1989).

As for the UK, their 1997 winning entry "Love Shine A Light" is one of my all time favorites at ESC, it would very likely make my ESC all-time Top 5 if I were to make it. I can't remember any good ones from UK in the 21st century.

Generally speaking, I enjoyed ESC far more back when live orchestra was involved and countries sung in their native language. Now almost everyone sings in English and the whole thing comes off a bit too generic. Various national cultural influences have almost been completely lost, shame since that's what gives Europe its charming flavor. Oh well...
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/03/2013 05:52 PM (UTC)
I thought Humperdink seemed like a stupid joke that accidentally did something interesting. Not the kind of record I'd race out to buy, or listen to repeatedly on my iPod, but it seemed like a genuine effort. A nice bit of a throwback and a refreshing change of pace from the white noise of pop X-factor winners.

I'm a sucker for the electronica-dance era, though.
Found Euphoria pretty satisfying in a field that struggled to challenge.
Nephrite
03/08/2013 11:19 AM (UTC)
So, 2 interesting updates (as far as I'm concerned):

#1: I have heard the Croatian entry in its entirety and it's definitely a step up from last year, but it's still a bit frustrating. The problem is that the Croatian board decided to send a klapa, but I feel like the song itself (or more precisely the melody of the song) doesn't represent that well the kind of music "klapa" usually perform, the sound is way too modernized. I'm afraid they'll end up being labeled as "boy-band", ugh. I doubt they're going to qualify for the finals, they'll be labeled as a "boy-band", but since they're nothing like the popular boy bands of the West, they'll fail to reach the young audience (which I presume is the dominant kind).

#2: UK is sending Bonnie Tyler, heh. They tried something similar in 2011 when they sent a boy-band Blue who had been successful in Europe during the first decade of the century, but ended up in 10th place. I haven't heard Bonnie's song yet, but considering how long ago Bonnie was at the top (no where near as fresh as Blue) I doubt her former glory is going to help much.
Nephrite
04/13/2013 01:02 PM (UTC)
Excuse me for double posting, but I have now heard all the 2013 entrants at least once and here are my impressions at this point.

GENERAL: None of the songs knocked me off my feet like last year's Euphoria which became my instant favorite. I would even say that last year's Italian and Estonian entries that, back then were my #2 & #4 respectively, are better than any song this year (to me at least). However, on the good side at least there's less shitty entries than last year, so that's something. This year there are a few rock entries that I like, which hasn't been the case that often with me at ESC. Another interesting tidbit is that there actually aren't any ABBA-like entries, quite a surprise!

So, entry by entry... [My impressions may change over time and of course the live performance is another important factor]:

Semi-final 1:

01. Austria
Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
Decent pop song, solid (female) vocal performance, but feels slightly boring.

02. Estonia
Like last year Estonia sends a ballad, but unlike last year's entry which was in my Top5, this one failed to "touch" me lol. It's not bad though.

03. Slovenia
A heavy dance/club/pop song, with elements of dubstep (?), I think. I'm not sure 'cause I didn't like the song and only listened to it once, not my kind of music.

04. Croatia
The more I listen to this song the more I like it. Much better than last year. While the melody slightly disappoints, the vocal performance is strong as you'd expect from "klapa". As long as they don't do any choreography shit on stage, I'll be happy. In my Top10, good luck!

05. Denmark
Denmark is #1 with the bookies and I liked the song a lot on the first listening. Liked it on the 2nd too, but not as much. Still, I'd say it's my 2nd favorite at this point.

06. Russia
This is one of those ballads with a good vocal performance calling everyone to unite, be friends and help each other. Decent entry, but not the kind of songs I'm thrilled about at ESCs. They're in Top5 with the bookies though.

07. Ukraine
#4 with the bookies, people seem to dig the special effects video and the catchy pop sound. I think it's very overrated, but at least the lady is pretty and has sexy legs lol. Still, the song is "whatever", so no pts from me.

08. The Netherlands
I was shocked to see this at #6 with the bookies as I found it incredibly dull. Sorry. It's a slow-tempo acoustic pop song btw.

09. Montenegro
A mixture of rap, club music and dubstep (?). I found it awful.

10. Lithuania
One of the most enigmatic performers. It's a male singer and watching his live performance I wasn't sure if he was being serious, joking or just super high while singing this light sounding pop song. The song is "meh" though.

11. Belarus
Thought it was terrible, stopped it after 1 min and haven't gone back to it. Female singer, some heavy pop song.

12. Moldova
Pop song, female singer. Boring.

13. Ireland
This would be the pop anthem of the year. It's a catchy song and I can image it lifting people's spirits up and doing well with a good live performance. Not sure about the guy's voice, but it's a solid entry. Not only is Ireland scheduled to perform 13th in the first SF, they're also #13 with the bookies. Lucky or unlucky? I can see this finishing in Top 5.

14. Cyprus
Light melody, acoustic pop-song, female singer. Solid entry, probably my Top10. Far from Top10 according to the bookies though.

15. Belgium
Male singer, some boring pop song. I listened to it once and don't plan on listening to it again until the live show. Bookies don't like it either.

16. Serbia
Female pop-group, mixed feelings about it. Not in my Top10 at the moment. I expected something better from Serbia, they have had brilliant entries in the past decade. This one is far from it, imo.

Semi-final 2:

01. Latvia
Very bad. Bottom 5 on my list and rock bottom with the bookies.

02. San Marino
The same female singer from last year is back. Remember that dumb joke "Social Network Song" lol? Well, that one was probably my least favorite entry last year. This year however, total opposite as San Marino comes with a serious entry that is my #1 favorite at this point. A pop song that starts slow and ups the tempo towards the end of the song with a nice vocal performance and ever pleasing to the ears Italian language. Go San Marino! (#11 with the bookies btw)

03. Macedonia
Didn't like it. It's a duet (male in the company of an old female gypsy (?) singer) and has a more regional flavour, but I'll pass.

04. Azerbaijan
Boring slow-tempo pop-song, male singer. #10 with the bookies, eww.

05. Finland
Some woman in a wedding dress singing (I guess) "Merry Me". I thought it was terrible.

06. Malta
A simple, acoustic, cute pop song. Male singer. Not bad, but not impressive either.

07. Bulgaria
This song emphasizes the drums and the live performance seems to be all about the tricks with the drums and so. Too bad the woman's voice is painfully nasal, otherwise it would have been much better.

08. Iceland
A slow tempo acoustic pop song sang by a male singer. I've only heard it once so far and haven't felt the desire to hear it again, but it's not bad actually, I just wasn't in the mood for it. We'll see where it'll finally end on my list. Bookies have it as the 2nd worst entry though, ouch!

09. Greece
And we come to one of those interesting rock entries this year. "Alcohol is free" is the name of the song, but the lyrics are in Greek. I don't understand anything, but I like the song lol. I'd say my Top5 at this point, good luck!

10. Israel
Female singer, evening dress, pop ballad, decent vocal. I just don't like it and the the way the letter "h" sounds when she pronounces it irks me a bit and it happens a lot. It's in Hebrew.

11. Armenia
"Lonely Planet" is the title of the song, it's a touchy pop-rock song if I remember well, but I thought it was boring and haven't listened to it more than once.

12. Hungary
An interesting, slow-tempo acoustic pop song. Sings in native language, I don't understand anything. I have mixed feelings about this one, I like that it's not trashy, but acoustic and serious sounding, but it doesn't pull me in either. We'll see.

13. Norway
And here we have the #2 with the bookies. It's kind of SF sounding like pop song, with a catchy chorus and electrifying beat in the background. I thought it was interesting, a bit on the "Euphoria" trace,but I didn't like the woman's voice too much. Interesting though, I can see it winning.

14. Albania
Another rock entry, in Albanian, almost sounds like a protest song. I'd say this is the heaviest sounding entry this year and I actually like it. Bookies don't however. Heh.

15. Georgia
A typical over-the-top-drama pop song ESC duet. Dislike it. #7 with the bookies, ugh.

16. Switzerland
Another rock (or pop-rock) entry, but more light hearted. Happy bunch of fellas they seem, interesting. Possibly my Top10.

17. Romania
This has to be a joke! I pissed my pants!

Final:

01. Sweden [host nation]:
Disaster, worst entry this year imo. #5 with the bookies. I'll puke if this wins. Male singer (slightly effeminate), pop song, bad hair, bad vocal performance.

02. France
Now this one is interesting. She seems like some kind of deadly, psycho femme fatale in the video. It's a darkish sounding pop song. I like it fine, bookies have it somewhere around #15. Of course, she's singing in French.

03. Germany
Germany brings in the famous dancefloor chart toppers, Cascada with an entry in English titled "Glorious". Something similar to Euphoria but much weaker, #10 with the bookies. I didn't like it.

04. Italy
Italy brought in a 2013 Sanremo festival winner, male singer, slow tempo acoustic pop song. It's good, but it didn't catch my heart as I was hoping Italian entry would. I found last year's Italian entry very charming, so this year's is a bit of a letdown. We'll see, I haven't written it off yet. #8 with the bookies.

05. Spain
Decent entry, but nothing impressive, in Spanish. Bookies don't like it though.

06. United Kingdom
Bonnie Tyler. Boring, slow to mid-tempo pop song. #12 with the bookies and I doubt it will do any better than that.

One final thought:
Oh Romania!

grin
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/16/2013 05:37 AM (UTC)
Staying clean until the broadcast. Looking forward to coming back, though.

I was going to post a countdown, but I don't know how to do the kids math.
Apparently you don't count weekends, bank holidays, but this adds extra days to the countdown. I don't know.
Nephrite
04/18/2013 11:32 AM (UTC)
I watched some fan made "My Top 39 ESC 2013" videos and the more I hear
Iceland's

entry the more I like it.

Mick's favorites, prediction by Nephrite:

In no particular order:
- Greece
- Norway
- Romania (Don't disappoint me Mick!)

glasses

EDIT [May 10, 2013 - 4 days to go]: My pre-show Top 10! (Including links to official videos.)

# Country Artist Song 01 SAN MARINO Valentina MonettaCrisalide (Vola) 02 FRANCE Amandine BourgeoisL'enfer et moi 03 ROMANIA CezarIt's My Life 04 ICELAND Eythor IngiÉg á líf 05 ALBANIA Adrian Lulgjuraj & Bledar SejkoIdentitet 06 GREECE Koza Mostra feat. Agathon IakovidisAlcohol Is Free 07 ITALY Marco MengoniL'essenziale (Extended Version) 08 CROATIA Klapa s MoraMižerja 09 IRELAND Ryan DolanOnly Love Survives 10 HUNGARY ByeAlexKedvesem (Zoohacker Remix)

JUST OUTSIDE OF TOP 10 (in no particular order): Denmark, Malta, Norway and Switzerland.

COMMENTS: So, it's been almost a month since I first reviewed the songs and some things have changed. The biggest change would be Denmark slipping out of my Top 10 (initially had it at #2). As I kept listening to the song it simply lost its spark. There was a short period during which I digged Norway, but right now that one too is outside of my Top10. Meanwhile, France, Iceland and Hungary climbed up my list. I had France as #1 for a while as I saw some live performances and loved the singer's energy, we'll see! Sorry Cezar (Romania), as much as you amuse me and the song gets quite cathy over time, I just have to give the top spot to a more serious entry. Or not? We'll see, we'll see...

If it stays like this for me, that would mean that Albania, Italy and Hungary made it into my Top 10 for the 2nd year in a row (Italy was also in my Top 10 in 2011, so that's 3 years in a row). I'm a bit upset that the eurovision YouTube channel doesn't have Croatia's official video on its list (not sure what's the reason). The response to the official video has been very positive and it would certainly help the Croatian entry to have it available at that channel since that's where most people check the entries. Oh well...
Nephrite
05/14/2013 11:15 PM (UTC)
The first semi-final finished ~2h ago.

Results:

QUALIFIED: Estonia, Denmark, Russia, Ukraine, Netherlands, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova, Ireland and Belgium.

OUT: Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Cyprus and Serbia.

Comments:
I'm not best pleased with the audio output from the show, the volume fluctuated for me a few times and I don't know, the overall sound seems lacking.

So all of the ex-Soviet Union countries qualified and all of the ex-Yugoslavia countries failed to qualify and that's what most of the bitching comments are about on the internet. Belarus is probably one of the worst songs I ever heard in my life, but I'm not surprised it qualified, it's the only "shake-it, shake-it" song so yeah, plus the bookies had them in the final as well.

Lithuania and Belgium, I am surprised to see in the finals as the songs didn't go well with the bookies and they weren't really popular among the fans either. I dislike both songs. I bet they profited from all the little girls voting since SF1 was packed with ladies and these two countries had youngish pretty-face guys represent them.

My country, Croatia, failed to qualify AGAIN. I wasn't best pleased with the vocal performance, but it wasn't bad either. I don't like the costumes they wore (those are traditional costumes, but used for something totally unrelated to music) and the lead singer's repetitive left arm movements irked me lol.

Denmark, Russia and Ukraine qualified as expected. I'm glad for Ireland. Overall, SF1 wasn't that impressive, SF2 should be much better as quite a few of those songs are in my Top10.

EDIT: Interesting article about common Eurovision myths in UK's The Guardian.

EDIT [May 16th] - Second semi-final finished ~1h ago:

I can't believe that pathetic overdramatic shit from Georgia qualified as well as that boring soulless song from Armenia. That shit from Finland I'm not that surprised with, especially with the cheap gimmick kiss.

Meanwhile, San Marino is out! BULLSHIT EUROPE, BULLSHIT EUROSONG! A song voted 2nd by a huge international fan base is out! Robbery, just like Bulgaria was robbed in 2011!

I'm glad for Hungary and Iceland. Sad for Albania (they rocked the stage) and surprised Israel failed to qualify (not that I mind). Hope Cezar wins this trash, cause he's TOP CLASS TRASH! Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant!

FUCK THIS SHIT! San Marino is the WINNER!

furious

EDIT: Post semi-final 2 "Withdrawal rumours begin"! My comment: I hope at least 10 countries withdraw following this year's failure. LOL @ organizers deciding the entries order and failing miserably at it! 10 out of 16 entries in the first SF were pop songs performed by female solo artists, no rock songs at all. Second SF was so much more diverse. TERRIBAD Sweden, TERRIBAD!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/17/2013 01:08 PM (UTC)
Just finished the first Semi Final. Haven't read anything (here, or elsewhere) yet. Still taking it in (the winners haven't been revealed yet).

Was a little bit disappointed. A lot more hohum pop than I expected. So many solo females! Disappointing lack of absurdity. Mirror ball, spacemen and big cosmic skirt having to do all the heavylifting. I'm not sure I'm ready to take Eurovision this seriously.

Edit: 12 points to the voting period electronica song, with all the people dancing. Loving it. Makes me think of some of the great contemporary Swedish acts I'd like to see. Fever Ray, The Knife, Familjen, ceo.

Slovenia was probably my favourite song. It feels a bit like a response to Euphoria and doesn't strike me as particularly Slovenian (singer from US?), but it was probably my favourite song. Montenegro, Denmark, Lithuania bringing up the rear. Honorable maratime mention to Croatia, and less honorable (but still sincere) mentions to anyone who put pretty girls in short skirts. Moldova had a great stage act.

Unless we get a repeat of 2011, I can't see any of these Semi Final 1 acts winning it. Slovenia could maybe make an argument. Belgium might have a shot if people can stop staring at Poirot Jr. It had that big sound. Gotta think something better will come from the remaining acts, though. I guess Netherlands could be a dark horse, but I doubt it.

Austria - Should consider more glockenspiel next year.
Estonia - Gratuitous use of B&W will win you no favours, pretty solo act.
Solvenia - A bit too grindy, a bit like a cheap attempt to follow Euphoria. I'm really not sold on this Robocop remake.
Croatia - Achieving maritime peace through men with song. A good, honest entry.
Denmark - Great Irish entry. Next time, maybe wear shoes.
Russia - I got worried when I heard Russians singing about uniting everyone as one. Then I realised the song was probably just about Russian dolls and enjoyed it.
Ukraine - Giants aren't in. Pretty girls are, though. Apparently Estonia's singer was pregnant, probably shouldn't be near this much smoke.
Netherlands - Fever dream. Fell into a trance, missed out on the reason birds don't fly.
Montenegro - Out of this world. Montenegro clearly came to win.
Lithuania - Openly mocking Denmark's lack of shoes. Great dance moves. The most fun you can have standing still with shoes on.
Belarus - Montenegro receive reinforcements when a woman in a very short skirt emerges from a mirrorball egg. All is well in Eurovision.
Moldova - An effective and visually impressive commercial for the perils of period pain.
Ireland - I didn't know Jedward could play drums.
Cyprus - Presumably financial hardships meant all she could wear was her evening gown. A bit bland in a sea of solo female singers, but alright.
Belgium - Not since Alexander Rybak has Eurovision seen such a comic impression of a boy. Dancers demonstrating the After to Moldova's period pain Before.
Serbia - I'd had enough by this point. Good effort by the girl not wearing pants. Song was whatever.

Post-Results Edit:
Slovenia and Montenegro were cheated. Cyprus and Croatia: also a bit hard done by. I kinda liked Lithuania, but still think it's funny it got through.

Could've done without Estonia and Belarus. I probably would've been fine if Ireland and/or Russia didn't make it. Surprised, but fine.

Post Post-Results Edit: These spoilers are probably completely unnecessary, but hey. Safety first.
Nephrite
05/17/2013 09:23 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Just finished the first Semi Final. Was a little bit disappointed. A lot more hohum pop than I expected. So many solo females!

Agreed, the first SF is rather forgettable. And I'm glad you noticed the solo females overload. Considering the draw wasn't made randomly, but a committee decided the order for "good variety" purposes, it is a REAL FAILURE!

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Slovenia was probably my favourite song. It feels a bit like a response to Euphoria and doesn't strike me as particularly Slovenian (singer from US?), but it was probably my favourite song. Montenegro, Denmark, Lithuania bringing up the rear. Honorable maratime mention to Croatia, and less honorable (but still sincere) mentions to anyone who put pretty girls in short skirts. Moldova had a great stage act.

Oh, so you liked Slovenia. It's just not the kind of music I like, too "dubstepish" for my taste and yeah I heard the singer is from US and even though I'm not too familiar with Slovenian music, I guarantee that's not the sound of the country.

Montenegro is a mixture of rap and dubstep and since I don't like those two genres of music it's understandable I didn't like it. It's one of my least favorites actually, just gives me headache. However, since dubstep is rather popular lately I wouldn't have been shocked had it qualified, it does sound modern (it's just my problem I don't like that kind of sound).

I find Lithuania boring and the singer and his facial expressions and his arms movements funny. Denmark is solid, yeah. Glad you liked Croatia. smile

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Unless we get a repeat of 2011, I can't see any of these Semi Final 1 acts winning it.

Very interesting! Won't say more than that since you haven't read anything in here yet. wink

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Denmark - Great Irish entry. Next time, maybe wear shoes.

Ahahahahahaha! I kept staring at her feet too, but mainly because her legs are a bit... Hmmm, not sure how you say it in English, like they're "twisted" inwards? The tips of her left and right feet are pointing at each other. Man, I'm being mean now...

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Netherlands - ...missed out on the reason birds don't fly.

LMFAO!

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Belgium - Not since Alexander Rybak has Eurovision seen such a comic impression of a boy.

I'm going to be mean again, but his face annoys me SO MUCH! Ewwww!

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Slovenia and Montenegro were cheated. Cyprus and Croatia: also a bit hard done by. I kinda liked Lithuania, but still think it's funny it got through.

Could've done without Estonia and Belarus. I probably would've been fine if Ireland and/or Russia didn't make it. Surprised, but fine.

All ex-Yu got eliminated and all ex-Soviet countries qualified, that was the most common bitching comment around the web. Quite a few bitched about Lithuania qualifying. I would have ditched Lithuania and Belarus and instead put Croatia and Cyprus through. I think I like Serbia better than Ukraine and Moldova too.

Btw, I found this. (Results of SF1 voted by Aussies)

EDIT: I'm dying to hear your thoughts on the final entry in the 2nd SF! Wish I could see your face too once the song really kicks off lol!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/18/2013 11:48 AM (UTC)
ROMANIA!!!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/18/2013 01:14 PM (UTC)
Finished watching a [little while] ago. Vast improvement over the first Semi Final. Much more variety, much more to enjoy. I'd have to say on the whole it's been a step down from the last few years, but that's me. From the previews, I'm not expecting the "Big Five" to change my impression much.

If Euphoria was the obvious stand-out of 2012, then Romania answered the call this year. There was a lot of hype down here for it, but I was still blown away. How could I not be? Romania took it to a whole other level in every possible way. Words fail. Romania: they saved the best for last.

Malta were the first to really spark me up. Charming, nice entry. Bulgaria kept things going with some nice vertical drums and energy. Song title had me worried, but I thought the pseudo-ska of Greece was a good time. First impressions of Hungary were bad, but turned out I really liked it. I'd put them all through, but then Romania just destroyed everyone. So it hardly matters now.

I couldn't believe Georgia had the guy behind Euphoria! Dullsville! They're the entry that will be competing to fulfill a repeat of 2011. Dreadfully boring duo! Armenia were a disappointment, too. Boring American Idol rock. Thought Norway was a bit overrated. Israel offered a big, honest effort, but not enough to really win me over. Eurovision timewarp: Finland = 80s; Latvia = 90s; Armenia = 00s. Someone will be terribly cheated, probably Romania.

Again, the "Big Five" seemed pretty humdrum. I think Sweden had the best of the auto-qualifiers. Contemporary, nice sound, but lacking the glory of Euphoria. Speaking of glory -- if I thought Slovenia was a response to Euphoria, I guess Germany are just flat-out trying to repeat it. Glorious sounding awfully similar. I wish Italy would bring back Raphael Gualazzi.

Having seen who did and didn't get through... I really think Romania should be up there. I'm not sure everyone will see it that way and I don't really expect it to win, but it'd be a pretty awesome flipside to 1998. I liked Hungary a lot more than I expected. I would call that win something akin to Lena, if a little less obviously catchy. I don't see Malta or Greece having broad enough appeal to go top, but you never know. I could see Iceland or Georgia for a boring result. I'm sure Denmark or Norway will do well. I can't predict a winner. Maybe Belgium. That would be funny.

Latvia - Where is it they're actually going? Shut up and go. Claiming the first stage dive in Eurovision. I know for a fact Ireland took a dive to avoid repeat hosting. UK never seem to try, etiher.
San Marino - Kate Bush on prozac? Glowing balls? Wild womanly wailing? I don't know. Just glad somebody had a costume change.
FYR Macedonia - Even with flashbacks to The Little Mermaid, I thought it was alright.
Azerbaijan - I hope someone remembered to punch air holes in that glass case of emotion.
Finland - I don't think Barbie is coping in the years after her divorce from Ken. Novel use of slavery. It didn't help Tatu in 2003, but nice lesbian action, just the same. Nobody will remember those stage diving idiots, now.
Malta - Winners for best use of ukelele in a Eurovision Song Contest entry. I liked the main guys Robert Deniro impression. Genuinely charming entry. Probably won't get far.
Bulgaria - Anti-Crisis Girl 2013. Good use of vertical drums. Tasteful restraint from Bulgaria. Not bad.
Iceland - Thor got really soft after joining the Avengers. He's still alive, but I'm just barely holding on. Yawn.
Greece - Is alcohol really free, or are the Greek people just looting again? Black outfits instead of white! Daring effort from Greece, I like it.
Israel - I'm pretty sure she's wearing the Greek entry.
Armenia - I don't doubt for a minute that it's a lonely planet when you're a pirate singing boring mid-2000s soft rock. Tell it to Nickelback, buddy.
Hungary - Not bad, but he's begging for an uppercut. Especially the way he's leading with the chin.
Norway - Another ESC first? First artist literally accompanied by white noise? When Lady Gaga runs out of money and ideas, this is what she will be.
Albania - They put their money behind the pyro and the pyro was good. Shame about the song. Nice try, but ehhhh. Better than Armenia.
Georgia - YAWN! Dullsville. Could've dominated ESC 2011.
Switzerland - Fulfilling the annual quota for acts with a performer who might die before the winner is announced. Sentimental; a bit plain.
Romania - FLAWLESS VICTORY!!! Dana International, your services will no longer be needed. Lets rally the transvestite vampire vote. This was amazing. Euphoria-esque in its ability to cut through the night. Only politics can stop this man! Eurovision was confirmed with this act! All hail, Cezarrrr!

Post-Results:
Georgia... Georgia... Could 2011 happen again after last year did such a good job of wiping the stain away? I really hope not. Fortunately, unless I'm mistaken, Georgia aren't nearly the darling little sister that Azerbaijan were. Song not good enough to win without cheap votes.

Bulgaria were the disappointment. Glad Malta got through. Glad Greece were there. Overjoyed that we will witness Romania one more time. Will he go on last again? Who would want to follow him? Not even Moldova can stand up to the might of Romania, they didn't have the elevation! Hussah! Wish you were here, Montenegro.
Nephrite
05/18/2013 04:56 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
ROMANIA!!!

I'm glad you recognize how FABULOUS it is! glasses

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Vast improvement over the first Semi Final. Much more variety, much more to enjoy

Yeah, I've been saying the same thing.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Malta were the first to really spark me up. Charming, nice entry. Bulgaria kept things going with some nice vertical drums and energy. Song title had me worried, but I thought the pseudo-ska of Greece was a good time. First impressions of Hungary were bad, but turned out I really liked it.

That's the best way to describe Malta this year- CHARMING! As for Bulgaria, I like the drums and the show, but unfortunately the painfully nasal voice of the singer ruins it totally for me (no pts!). Greece- definitely a good party song! I feel the same way about Hungary, wasn't much of a fan at first, but I've grown to like it over time.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
I couldn't believe Georgia had the guy behind Euphoria! Dullsville! They're the entry that will be competing to fulfill a repeat of 2011. Dreadfully boring duo! Armenia were a disappointment, too.

I agree about these two entries. Georgia is unbearable and Moldova just plain boring.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Again, the "Big Five" seemed pretty humdrum. I think Sweden had the best of the auto-qualifiers. Contemporary, nice sound, but lacking the glory of Euphoria. Speaking of glory -- if I thought Slovenia was a response to Euphoria, I guess Germany are just flat-out trying to repeat it. Glorious sounding awfully similar. I wish Italy would bring back Raphael Gualazzi.

I don't like the Swedish entry this year, I find the guy and the song annoying. Germany, yeah, there were some accusations of it being a copy of Euphoria. Many like the track and I can see why, it's catchy and the lyrics rhyme, but I find it generic and unoriginal. I like Italy (again lol).

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
I could see Iceland or Georgia for a boring result.

Hehe, I love Iceland this year. Like Hungary, it grew on me over time and quite a bit actually! One of my faves, I think it's beautiful! It reminds me of what ESC used to be back in the day.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
San Marino - Kate Bush on prozac? Glowing balls? Wild womanly wailing? I don't know. Just glad somebody had a costume change.

The glowing ball appears in the official video too, not sure what's the deal with it though. Although I wasn't blown away with the live performance, this song remains my #1 this year. Love the lyrics, the melody and the awesome change of pace near the end which is in perfect sync with the change in lyrics (at first she's mostly singing about negative stuff and then when the music takes a lift, the lyrics light up too! I absolutely love it and this song failing to qualify caused the biggest rage storm among the fans. Quite a few Croats liked it too.). I'm seriously disappointed.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Albania - They put their money behind the pyro and the pyro was good. Shame about the song. Nice try, but ehhhh. Better than Armenia.

Another entry I really like and appreciate. Love the electric guitar solo and the singer that leads for most of the track has a great, strong voice. I'm not surprised it failed to qualify, no one understands Albanian and "serious rock" isn't going to do well at ESC anyway.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Romania - FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!

Haha! Love him! What a BOSS! glasses

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Post-Results: ...

San Marino ROBBED! Voted 2nd by the fans before the show! ESC is corrupted! furious
Nephrite
05/18/2013 06:56 PM (UTC)
5 min before Grand Final kicks off, here's my Top 5 prediction:

01. Denmark
02. Azerbaijan
03. Germany
04. Norway
05. Georgia

Also in Top 10: Ukraine, Sweden and Russia.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/19/2013 05:09 AM (UTC)
Nephrite Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
ROMANIA!!!

I'm glad you recognize how FABULOUS it is! glasses

It was amaaaazing! I had a look at the preview music video. I'm definitely glad I waited to watch it live, the performance just enhanced the ridiculous spectacle of it. Still blown away. Any disappointment was blown away by the looming shockwave of his voice!

It's probably just us, but if anyone else is reading this thread, they really need to see this.

Looks like we had a lot of similar impressions. I can understand liking the Iceland entry, but it just didn't do it for me. It'll be interesting to see how Sweden seems live. The Armenian band can get lost.
Nephrite
05/19/2013 11:35 AM (UTC)
My final Top 10 and some comments:

# Country Artist Song 01 SAN MARINO Valentina MonettaCrisalide (Vola) 02 FRANCE Amandine BourgeoisL'enfer et moi 03 ICELAND Eythor IngiÉg á líf 04 ROMANIA CezarIt's My Life 05 ALBANIA Adrian Lulgjuraj & Bledar SejkoIdentitet 06 HUNGARY ByeAlexKedvesem (Zoohacker Remix) 07 ITALY Marco MengoniL'essenziale (Extended Version) 08 CROATIA Klapa s moraMižerja 09 GREECE Koza Mostra feat. Agathon IakovidisAlcohol Is Free 10 NORWAY Margaret BergerI Feed You My Love

Others worthy of mention: Denmark, Ireland, Malta, Switzerland and Ukraine (lol!).

#1 San Marino: Although I'm not best pleased with the live performance, the song remains my #1. Great lyrics and music, good vocals and fantastic overall arrangement (the change in lyrics from being pessimistic and dark at first to optimistic and bright nearing the end in wonderful harmony with the change in pace of the song). Quanta vita c’è / Non me n’ero accorta mai / E se ancora non lo sai / L’universo siamo noi / Vola! (The most inspiring part! The underlined verses give me shivers of excitement!) San Marino was robbed! LIVE @ ESC 2013

#2 France: Femme fatale! Love watching her perform the song live and seeing her go wild near the end of the song. Hell, revenge, voodoo-doll (in the official video), it has everything. Pure passion! France robbed just like in 2011! Both times they finished as my runner-ups (in 2011 to Bulgaria, who like San Marino this year, also failed to qualify from the SF). LIVE @ ESC 2013

#3 Iceland: Tsk, tsk, tsk... It pains me to put this only at #3. It's so simple, melodic, pure and I loved the use of lights on stage and loved the little houses on the video-wall in the background. The singer has a great voice and I enjoy listening how cleanly he pronounces the words. I don't understand the language one bit, but I read the English translation and the lyrics seem fine. Love you 2013 Iceland, be proud! This performance and song remind me of good old days, when ESC was a festival of quality music, live orchestra was obligatory as well as singing in native language. LIVE @ ESC 2013

#4 Romania: Cezar, you're glorious! You're THE BOSS! The song is trash, but painfully catchy and his voice is unmatched! Love the absurdity of him standing still and singing in opera voice while the dancers around him are so "hipster" lol. What a combo! As much as I love it, I'll always give advantage to "serious" entries that impress me and thus I have to strip Cezar of the bronze medal. He'll be remembered forever as a true diva! Loved his live performance in London on the Road to Malmö (wearing sunglasses in a closed and rather dark room, lol what a win). LIVE @ ESC 2013

Others: Those 4 are in a league of their own and I'll be listening to those songs for a long time. Albania (LIVE @ ESC 2013) remains in my Top 5, the most powerful song this year. Love the electric guitar solo and the overall instrumental of the song is cool. The lead singer has a very strong voice too! Hungary (LIVE @ ESC 2013) keeps getting better and better the more I listen to it (up to #6 from #10 pre-show and not even being in My Top 10 initially, if I remember well). Just a lovely, calming and humble tune. It's like Malta, only delivers better. Speaking of Malta, the singer was annoyingly happy during the final night and ruined their chances of getting into my Top 10. At #7 a very solid entry from Italy (LIVE @ ESC 2013), nice lyrics and song arrangement, though the singer's on stage style is not quite to my liking. Croatia (LIVE @ ESC 2013) remains at #8, strong vocals and decent lyrics, but a bit underwhelming melody and the lead singer's repetitive left arm movements were annoying during the live performance. Greece (LIVE @ ESC 2013) falls down from #6 (pre-show) to #9 in the end. I just felt bored with the song last night, but since I enjoyed it so far and it is fun, I can't knock it out of my Top 10. Norway (LIVE @ ESC 2013) breaks into the Top 10, just barely, mostly thanks to the cool background sf-like sounds during the chorus, it has something edgy in it, although the singer's voice doesn't impress me. Denmark's good but gets old quickly to me, Ireland is out of Top 10 (originally #9) due to really bad vocal performance in the final. And finally, I never thought I'd say this, but I actually liked the Disneyland nonsense from Ukraine in the final, she really has a lovely and quality voice. Almost made it into my Top 10, lol!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/19/2013 02:19 PM (UTC)
I'm officially drained of energy! Winner was meh. Romania rulzzzz!
Nephrite
05/19/2013 04:46 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Romania rulzzzz!

Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/08/2013 10:40 AM (UTC)
Surprised to find I've had Love Kills (Belgium) stuck in my head a few times lately. Heard it on a TV/weather thing between broadcasts, too. It's grown on me. I think it helps not seeing the guy's slightly ridiculous cartoon face.

Cezar still rules the world, though.

Nephrite Wrote:
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.