WINNER: FPK: Head-to-Head - 3rd Edition
posted02/11/2013 06:22 AM (UTC)by
VenoMark
About Me

THE WINNER:
Entry #2 created by MKOnline up-and-coming artist saiZero:

The final tally: Entry #1 (Kamionero), 7 votes; Entry #2 (saiZero), 9 votes.

Initially, it appeared as those Kamionero was going to run away with this one, breaking out to a quick 5-1 lead from the outset. Not to be thwarted so easily, however, as votes continued to pour in, saiZero steadily closed the gap and with less than 24 hours remaining in the voting period, knotted up the score at 7 apiece before ultimately pulling out the win. In the end, it was a hard-earned and well-deserved victory for saiZero and her entry.

THE STIPULATIONS:
1) It is mandatory that one of the two kombatants be an original
creation. That is to say that the original character must be one that we
have never seen before, inside or outside of the MK universe or
otherwise. Extensive palette-swapping is prohibited. To elaborate, you
are required to do more than simply recolor a sprite. Try to be creative!

2) Your created character is to be performing a special move or fatality
on his or her opponent. It is recommended that the idea be as
innovative as possible and that it be consistent with the character (for
example, Scorpion would not employ Sub-Zero's freezing ability).

3) The arena in which the match is taking place must be an original
creation or a 2D recreation of an arena from one of the 3D installments
(MK4 - MK 2011). Moreover, you are prohibited from simply shrinking a
screenshot or concept image of the arena.

4) You are required to create your own special effects and/or borrow
them from one of the 2D installments (MK1 - MKTrilogy), including
MKMythologies: Sub-Zero. Exploiting preset tubes/brushes and/or
pilfering material from outside sources (i.e., Google Images,
DeviantArt,etc.) is prohibited.

THE RUNNER-UP:
Entry #1 created by MKOnline user Kamionero:

I sincerely appreciate all of you who cast votes in this edition of head-to-head fake picture kompetition. I also thank you, contestants, for your participation in this FPK. Your contributions made for quite the entertaining race, and I hope to see the both of you in future community-wide fake picture kontests. Until next time, I bid you all a humble farewell.
balkcsiaboot
01/28/2013 02:14 PM (UTC)
This will be a great birthday present.
Murdoink
01/29/2013 12:09 AM (UTC)
STEP IT UP GUISE
saiZero
About Me

01/29/2013 04:09 PM (UTC)
Wow lol glad these weren't the stipulations for the one I was in LOL. They're getting harder and harder. I can't wait to see the entries for this one!!!!
VenoMark
02/03/2013 05:13 PM (UTC)
Alright, folks; voting is now under way. Vote for the image that you find to be the most impressive overall. All votes are genuinely appreciated.
UltimateRyu
02/03/2013 05:24 PM (UTC)
Holy shit, nice fakes. Too bad the host is a dumb fuck.

I love how Sheeva was converted to an alien. The stage could pass as another planet. Love the idea and fatality execution.

Fake 2's background is amazing. The Gardner sprite looks nice but the the idea and fatality is lame.

My vote goes to Fake #1.
balkcsiaboot
02/03/2013 05:42 PM (UTC)
I honestly can't vote on this one. I just don't know... maybe I will the more I analyze it. Both are so cool.

UltimateRyu Wrote:
Holy shit, nice fakes. Too bad the host is a dumb fuck...

WTF was the point of that? I wonder who has you kneeling in front of them that is preventing you from being banned once and for all.
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

02/03/2013 05:43 PM (UTC)
UltimateRyu Wrote:
Too bad the host is a dumb fuck.

Please don't. Just.....don't.

I like the look of these both. Really cool. The colors in the second one are amazing, but the editing in the first one are awesome too. Ugh, I'm gonna vote for the first one. Really love both though.
acidslayer
02/03/2013 09:05 PM (UTC)
i vote for entry num 1.
fedegita
02/03/2013 11:58 PM (UTC)
I'm thoroughly, thoroughly impressed with these entries. The creativity that has gone into each is incredible. Like blacksaibot, I'm gonna have to take some time to really decide which is better, and will edit my post accordingly. Fantastic work to both competitors.
EDIT: Okay, after much deliberation my vote goes to Fake #2.
At first I was really drawn in to #1, but the longer I looked at it the more I found things I didn't like. First of all, while the idea is pretty good, the beam ruins the fake for me. It's huge, and obscures much of what looks like a really well-constructed and interesting background. There are also too many artifacts around the edges of the beam. The sprite editing on Adsler is phenomenal, but doesn't really *feel* like an MK character - more like something out of a survival horror. I'm also not too keen on the dragon behind the timer up top - though the lifebars are well-done.
With #2, I immediately lol'd at the idea of the Living Forest "gardener" becoming a character, but his sprite is pulled off really well. You did well editing his head so he doesn't just looked like a pallet-swapped Raiden. The vines are excellently done and match the MK aesthetic, as does the fatality as a whole. I love the blood spurting out of Jax's arm, and his pained expression. I'm also a sucker for fakes showing the fatality mid-way through, so you can kind of imagine what will happen next. The background is good, though it doesn't stand out to me as much as in fake #1. I really don't like the shadows under the skulls - they should be much shorter or just not included.
Both you guys are superb fakers, fantastic work!
Unknown265
02/04/2013 03:50 AM (UTC)
While both of these fakes are very, very good, my vote goes to Entry #1.

The atmosphere of it all just feels so right to me; the icy arena (and the cold, bluish torches), the starry-sky, the freezing structure, not to mention the elegant appearance of the HUD to compliment everything else.

This character: "Adsler" has a cool-looking Fatality and his appearance is quite intriguing to me. The only issues I have with him/her are the arms and face; they could use a little retouching.
-----------------------------------------
Don't get me wrong, I quite like the second entry with Shinnok's Lair from MK4 (which I think looks like a great recreation) and the character of "Gardener".

Gardener is an amusing character, whom I think could be a very interesting fighter in a real MK game. Gardener's Fatality looks pretty good and gives us an idea of just what he is capable of.

And now I wonder how is he going to finish the Fatality? Maybe by tearing Jax apart or crushing him with the vines; both guesses would look cool if Gardener was a real character back in the UMK3/MK:T days.

Upon closer inspection, I feel the background of Shinnok's Lair might be a bit too large; and the lines where the realistic dirt floor collides with the walls don't sit right with me.
-----------------------------------------

Vote: Entry #1
Number one has my vote due to the feel and atmosphere of it clicking so naturally with me.
balkcsiaboot
02/04/2013 03:58 AM (UTC)
"gardener" .... lawl

Unknown265
02/04/2013 04:04 AM (UTC)
blacksaibot Wrote:
"gardener" .... lawl

(Please excuse my silly off-topic post)

Holy shitballs; I understand now!
Gardener for MK10 DLC?!
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

02/04/2013 04:13 AM (UTC)
Both of these entries are awesome. For me, it came down to the backgrounds, and so I give the ever so slight edge to entry #1.

Great job guys.
fedegita
02/04/2013 09:43 AM (UTC)
Unknown265 Wrote:

Gardener for MK10 DLC?!

wow make this happen, Boon
UltimateRyu
02/04/2013 01:47 PM (UTC)
The Gardener seems more of an Easter egg similar to the unlockable ninja referee in Samurai Showdown II. Also, akin to the rumor of playing as a masked guard in MK1. The more I think about the concept of The Gardener the more I like it. Fake 1 still takes the cake though (No pun intended BS).

Those skulls were worth every penny. I kinda wish I was demoted to assassin because the rank icon is so much cooler.
VenoMark
02/04/2013 04:46 PM (UTC)
After a little over 24 hours, votes have been tallied and the count for each entry is as follows:

Entry #1: 5 votes
Entry #2: 1 vote
xB$INx
About Me

02/04/2013 10:42 PM (UTC)
I'm going to vote #2. Entry 1 is very well done as others have pointed out, but the second one just feels more vibrant and unique to me. I don't know, I just like it.
balkcsiaboot
02/04/2013 10:46 PM (UTC)
Alright, well... this was difficult.

I had a really big and detailed critique all typed-out and ready until the damn thing closed out on me and I am not in the mood to retype.

The run-down:

Fake 1: A lot more experienced and detailed sprite editing, very unique custom BG, most original fatality, great life bars except that silly dragon by the timer. I wish the sky in the BG was fixed a bit (two colors do not transition) and it bugs me. The fake doesn't scream "Mortal Kombat fake" to me... Although well created, the custom character looks out of place.

Fake 2: Sexiest looking fake altogether, damn good 2D recreation of the fire well. The attention given to the arenas lighting is impressive. Very creative fatality idea (the gardener's powers), but limb ripping is a bit bland. Perfect life bars all the way around. Custom character concept is very original and made my smile, though the sprite editing isn't as extensive.

I judged this based on "what is a Mortal Kombat fake to me?" and Fake 2 just does it for me. I viewed these side-by-side and my eyes always turn to Fake 2.

Great job by both artists. I sincerely hope we can see both kontestants in any upcoming FPKs the forum holds.
illu§ion
02/04/2013 11:06 PM (UTC)
Fake 2.

I'm just not seeing the same fake that everyone else is praising on Fake 1. No offense to the artist tho.
Nephrite
02/05/2013 12:30 PM (UTC)
I have to go with Fake #2, Gardener is badass and the whole thing looks nicely polished. My biggest issue with Fake #1 is that it just doesn't feel like MK, more like some space/galaxy game, sorry. Also that beam irks me a bit, the edges could be a bit smoother, especially the lower one. The stage looks nice though, I especially like the floor and the reflections on it.

Good work though, both of you. smile
VenoMark
02/06/2013 06:49 PM (UTC)
It appeared as though Entry #1 was going to run away with this one, but Entry #2 has quickly and impressively closed the gap and we're currently dealing with a tight and very interesting race. The votes have been tallied after 72 hours and the current count is as follows:

Entry #1: 5 votes
Entry #2: 5 votes

With less than 72 hours remaining in the voting period, this contest is setting up to be quite the thrilling race to the finish. Thank you, voters, for your input! Without you, these contests would be a lot more lackluster.
YingYeung
02/08/2013 05:45 AM (UTC)
I vote for the first one.
Ninja_Mime
02/08/2013 06:04 AM (UTC)
blacksaibot Wrote:

Nice. My vote is for 2. Just a cool concept and I like the background. The Gardener sprite is great. Shadows look nice as well. I would have edited Jax to give him a new look but it's not a big deal.
JiminyCroquet
02/08/2013 04:05 PM (UTC)
Fake 1.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.