Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat Series General

Discuss the universe of Mortal Kombat.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 07/17/2013 08:56 PMStatus ::
Mortal Kurio: Rob Van Dam - Defender of Earthrealm?

Garish colourful costumes, trademark fighting manoeuvres, good versus evil, and a World Championship hanging in the balance. It's difficult to know if we're describing Mortal Kombat, or the wild world of professional wrestling!

In an interview with Wrestle Talk TV; recently returned WWE superstar Rob Van Dam revealed his close calls with a Mortal Kombat inspired wrestling gimmick in the mid-nineties. Fans of the now defunct World Championship Wrestling (WCW) may remember the resulting Glacier character [pictured top].

"I've had some offers that didn't sound too appealing. When I was in ECW defending the television title, I had an offer from WCW, but they wanted to turn me into a Mortal Kombat character. [...] Even after they made Glacier, they said 'it's okay. We're gonna make a whole bunch of them. We're gonna make a big group of Mortal Kombat guys, and you'll have mask.'"

Better recognized as a piece of cultural trivia than wrestling accomplishment; the character was the burden of Raymond Lloyd -- a martial artist versed in Hung Gar, Judo and Kempo. It's said Lloyd's role was appealing to on-screen WCW President and martial arts practitioner, Eric Bischoff.

Arguments can be made about whether or not characters like this were out of place in mid-nineties pro wrestling. What's undeniable is the reach of Mortal Kombat by this time. The games were already a global phenomenon: Mortal Kombat II reportedly the first game to surpass Hollywood box office [via @noobde]. One year before the debut of Glacier, Mortal Kombat was setting its own box office benchmark with a film that took the fighter to mass audiences. It remains one of the most successful video game movie adaptations and a favourite among audiences [read more].

Mortal Kombat and WCW would collide again during the 1998-1999 run of Mortal Kombat: Conquest on TNT. The live-action MK series followed WCW Monday Nitro during its ratings height. Wrestlers Meng (Haku) and Wrath (Bryan Clark) made guest appearances as burly menaces in two separate episodes of the show.

WCW Glacier TV Promo. See also; Glacier's WCW Debut!

Noting Rob Van Dam's unique martial arts inspired ring style, the potential for another MK homage makes sense. Of course, given the independent success of the ECW Television Champion at the time, it's also undeniable that turning it down was the right decision to make. RVD returned to WWE at the July 14 PPV Money in the Bank. The former WWE Champion has been on a six year hiatus, last appearing at that level in 2007.

Special thanks to MKOmmunity user m0s3pH for forwarding the wrestler's interview [via WrestleZone]. Found something interesting? We want to know! Forward your tips via the newslead submission form!

[Killswitch]Posted: 07/17/2013 09:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::19209
Nationality::United States
RE: Mortal Kurio: Rob Van Dam - Defender of Earthrealm?

Rob Van Dam. The whole effin' snow.

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong
RUFIXPosted: 07/17/2013 11:10 PMStatus ::

Visits::735

That's so funny because I was just thinking about Glacier when I was watching that nWo DVD just an hour ago lol. I always picked him in those N64 games. I thought he was awesome but I really didn't watch WCW back then.

http://rufix.deviantart.com/ oorufixoo
LordSkarletPosted: 08/07/2013 01:39 AMStatus ::

Visits::578

Rob Van Dam, Defender of Earthrealm. That right there as just loads of epic win lol. I always have seen RVD as a character who could fit in MK.

photo lordskarlet-sig-02_zps65c8d849.jpg
lordkiracPosted: 08/07/2013 02:07 AMStatus ::

Visits::2127

LordSkarlet Wrote:
Rob Van Dam, Defender of Earthrealm. That right there as just loads of epic win lol. I always have seen RVD as a character who could fit in MK.

Next John.......I mean Super-Cena in Injustice 2.
Clash quote

Super-Cena: "You can't see me!"

Superman:"Actually, X-ray vision says other wise."

This place is dead..and so am I
Mick-LuciferPosted: 08/07/2013 07:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::19575

Brock Lesnar would be a good defender of Earthrealm, except he'd probably turn on the humans to join Outworld... Ultimate Warrior? The Undertaker? Kane? I'd put the fate of the world in the hands of Kurt Angle, any day. He'd suplex us to safety.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. No whining!
LordSkarletPosted: 08/07/2013 08:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::578

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Brock Lesnar would be a good defender of Earthrealm, except he'd probably turn on the humans to join Outworld... Ultimate Warrior? The Undertaker? Kane? I'd put the fate of the world in the hands of Kurt Angle, any day. He'd suplex us to safety.

Angle has Shao Kahn in the Angle Lock! BA GAWH KING KAHN IS TAPPING OUT! ANGLE HAS DONE IT! HE HAS SAVED EARTHREALM! lmao

photo lordskarlet-sig-02_zps65c8d849.jpg
lordkiracPosted: 08/08/2013 06:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::2127

LordSkarlet Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

Angle has Shao Kahn in the Angle Lock! BA GAWH KING KAHN IS TAPPING OUT! ANGLE HAS DONE IT! HE HAS SAVED EARTHREALM! lmao

Then has a cup of Milk. at the end of his ending the narrator would say,
"It's True, It's DAMN TRUE!"

This place is dead..and so am I
Mick-LuciferPosted: 08/08/2013 07:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::19575

LordSkarlet Wrote:

Heroic Brutality!

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. No whining!
IcebabyPosted: 08/08/2013 08:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::11647

I miss watching wrestling, I always did like Rob Van Dam. But unfortunately, I grew out of it, that and both of my favorites no longer wrestle anymore.

Or... one can't the other just makes guest appearances every now and then.

But this was an interesting article to read.

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.