Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 10/10/2013 09:28 PMStatus ::
Twisted Metal Mascot a Near Miss for Mortal Kombat

Once regarded an improbable oddity; the fighting game guest character has become an industry standard. The invasion of outside forces remains a controversial topic for hardcore fans of any series: Mortal Kombat has become a seasoned veteran of the crossover concept, accepting fights at home and abroad.

Kombatants were first establishing their crossover credentials as far back as the nineties. Characters like Sub-Zero and Raiden have lodged appearances in various series, including: NBA Jam, Unreal Tournament and The Grid. Scorpion made the latest Kombat crossover earlier this year, appearing as a Jim Lee designed downloadable guest in NetherRealm Studios' superhero fighter: Injustice: Gods Among Us. The ninja from Hell is expected to be among the pack-in content in November's Ultimate Edition.

In 2011, Mortal Kombat took a turn playing host to two well known guest fighters: Freddy Krueger (DLC) and Kratos (PS3 exclusive).

While it was the widely available, downloadable horror icon [Krueger] who proved to be a nightmare for diehard fans -- it turns out Sony's God of War was potentially ripe to be replaced by another choice.

Discussing various topics with fans, including the viability of a horror movie fighting game; Creative Director Ed Boon (@noobde) revealed Sony icon Sweet Tooth was considered for what would have likely been a Sony exclusive guest spot!

Like Kratos; the clown-faced combat racer is a creation of David Jaffe. Serving as murderous mascot to the Twisted Metal series -- Sweet Tooth is best known for laughing his way through vehicular slaughter unleashed by his ice cream van of doom.

A preference for being behind the wheel hasn't stopped Sweet Tooth venturing into other combat domains. In 2003, he battled beasts in mech form as a guest in War of the Monsters. Leaving the cockpit a year after missing out on Mortal Kombat; the killer clown entered the arena of man-to-man fighting in the party mixed PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

As Kratos proved [read more]; NetherRealm would've been more than up to the task of collaborating on an iconic portrayal of Sweet Tooth. Better still: in Injustice: Gods Among Us, they even showed just how well an over-the-top, vehicle-based attack can work in a fighting game via Batman's Batmobile super! Then there's the story mode...

While we can't whole heartedly endorse the inclusion of guest characters in Mortal Kombat, we also can't deny it would've been an interesting choice for a Sony exclusive! With his home in Greek inspired mythology, Kratos proved a thematically appropriate final cut just the same.

Is Sweet Tooth the guest Kombatant for you? Have somebody else in mind? Sign up and join the conversation in the Mortal Kombat forum!

Kabal20Posted: 10/10/2013 09:48 PMStatus ::

Visits::6204
Nationality::United States
RE: Twisted Metal Mascot a Near Miss for Mortal Kombat

Funny you should do an article about guest characters and cross ups. The team at Double Helix mentioned during tonight's steaming of Killer Instinct not to rule out a KI/MK cross up in the future. They said they've also seen Ed Boon playing the game back at E3.

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

lordkiracPosted: 10/10/2013 10:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::2127

Kabal20 Wrote:
Funny you should do an article about guest characters and cross ups. The team at Double Helix mentioned during tonight's steaming of Killer Instinct not to rule out a KI/MK cross up in the future. They said they've also seen Ed Boon playing the game back at E3.

KOOOL

This place is dead..and so am I
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/10/2013 11:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::19710

Oh man Sweet Tooth would've been amazing as a guest in MK9. I loved him in PSASBR and it showed that he could work outside the truck. He could've been a sluggish brute type of character. And the fatalities...

I'm happy we had Kratos. He was a great representative for PS. But if we do get another PS exclusive guest, it should be Sweet Tooth. Twisted Metal is one of Playstation's longest running franchises, and Sweet Tooth has the brutal wickedness MK is known for.

I kind of want Nariko from Heavenly Sword to guest in MK as well, because she'd be easy to fit into the MK universe. And she would make an awesome stance character, something MK hasn't really had before. So in terms of a unique playstyle she could bring that to the table. But that's wishful thinking.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
hydraslashPosted: 10/11/2013 12:39 AMStatus ::

Visits::1094
Nationality::Australia

I wished Fulgore coulda been a guest character in MK9. Too bad I ain't getting an Xbone to enjoy the new KI either... :(

"Sonya Blade, this is Grandmaster Sektor of the Tekunin Clan. Our consciousness is no longer bound to flesh." Sonic 2 Meets Mortal Kombat?!
ShinomunePosted: 10/11/2013 01:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::8727
Nationality::Spain

Sweet Tooth for MK10!!! SW >>>>>>> Kratos

raidenthefridgePosted: 10/11/2013 02:52 AMStatus ::

Visits::3798
Nationality::Northern Ireland

Sweet Tooth for MK10 on PS4
Some Killer Instinct Character for MK10 on Xbonedyourgirlfrienddealwithitbro

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!
MINIONPosted: 10/11/2013 06:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

I suggested Sweet Tooth in my Kombat Korner video 2 years ago right after Kratos was announced.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
blacksaibotPosted: 10/11/2013 08:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::9045
Nationality::Bahamas

That is one bad ass clown. More bad ass than fool Freddy Krueger. However... I don't want guest characters in a Mortal Kombat game anymore. I'd only be willing to accept them if the game is already a crossover and they just want to throw some guests to mix it up a bit. Lord knows NRS is no longer getting my money for DLC.

Kabal20 Wrote:

Great news as long as that shit exclusive to ShitBox One

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/11/2013 08:33 AMStatus ::

blacksaibot Wrote:
That is one bad ass clown. More bad ass than fool Freddy Krueger. However... I don't want guest characters in a Mortal Kombat game anymore. I'd only be willing to accept them if the game is already a crossover and they just want to throw some guests to mix it up a bit. Lord knows NRS is no longer getting my money for DLC.

Kabal20 Wrote:

It would be. Since Killer Instinct is a first party Microsoft game, I could only see them doing a KI character as a guest for MK. I doubt they could do a whole MK vs. KI because it couldn't be Multiplatform.

blacksaibotPosted: 10/11/2013 10:46 AMStatus ::

blacksaibot Wrote:

Kabal20 Wrote:

Oh wow my post is riddled with fucking typos. Let me try that again...

More bad ass than THAT fool Freddy Krueger.

Great news as long as that IS NOT exclusive to Shitbox One.

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/11/2013 10:59 AMStatus ::

Quick question blacksaibot,

Are you saying you don't want guests unless it's a crossover? Or are you saying you don't want guests as DLC?

blacksaibotPosted: 10/11/2013 12:06 PMStatus ::

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
Quick question blacksaibot,

Are you saying you don't want guests unless it's a crossover? Or are you saying you don't want guests as DLC?

Question #1: Correct.
Question #2: Correct.

I don't want guest stars as part of the initial game's release or as DLC in any canonical MK game. Period.

It just doesn't friggin feel right to me when I see Kratos and a damn horror movie villian in my "battle plan"

It makes sense for Soul Calibur because the story revolves around a bunch of fairy tales fuck faces coming together to fight for no good reason at all.

But in MK? The only fighting game with an engaging story line.......... c'mon man!!!

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/11/2013 12:44 PMStatus ::

blacksaibot Wrote:

Question #1: Correct.

Question #2: Correct.

I don't want guest stars as part of the initial game's release or as DLC in any canonical MK game. Period.

It just doesn't friggin feel right to me when I see Kratos and a damn horror movie villian in my "battle plan"

It makes sense for Soul Calibur because the story revolves around a bunch of fairy tales fuck faces coming together to fight for no good reason at all.

But in MK? The only fighting game with an engaging story line.......... c'mon man!!!

I can understand that. Guest characters have become somewhat controversial in MK. But in an attempt to appease both parties, I have a suggestion.

What if there was an option to toggle guest characters on or off? That way the people who want them can have them and the people who don't won't have to fight them. They'd only appear in Arcade mode/Verses anyway.

(Barring online of course. But you really can't choose who your opponents pick so nothing can be done about that.)

lordkiracPosted: 10/11/2013 01:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::2127

I want kratos and sweet tooth in MK10.
or deadpool.

This place is dead..and so am I
blacksaibotPosted: 10/11/2013 01:25 PMStatus ::

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

What if there was an option to toggle guest characters on or off? That way the people who want them can have them and the people who don't won't have to fight them. They'd only appear in Arcade mode/Verses anyway...

That would not suffice my stubborn attitude toward guest characters.

With the time it takes to create the guest character (design concept, creating the model and textures, arena, moves, ending, plus having to coordinate with the cocky bastards who legally own the character to make sure they're happy and their character is portrayed in a manner they are happy with) NRS could have devoted all of that time to something better ...like actually MORTAL KOMBAT material in the game.

MK "Guest" characters like Kenshi (who don't even belong in the time line of the current game) are welcome. Quan Chi, for example, should have been a guest MK character... but instead they made Shang Tsung a pussy sorcerer and Quan Chi was in the limelight. Ludicrous. But even that could get out of hand knowing NRS. Next thing you know we'll see Taven or Shujinko in MK10. So Guest characters of any kind should just.... well.......... fuck off.

fuzzdorkPosted: 10/11/2013 02:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::9665

I swear Ed mentioned this a long time ago.

FDMK - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Reference Website
DG1OAPosted: 10/11/2013 03:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::5273

What a shame we didn't get Sweet Tooth instead. He certainly wouldn't have gotten special treatment like Kratos.

Okay, I can't say that for sure, but I doubt Sony would have been as (over)protective of ST's image.

But while it might be too late to include Sweet Tooth in MK9 even as DLC, there's always future entries in the MK series.

Personally, I also think Bloody Mary and DollFace, both also from TM, would make great guests.

Kabal20Posted: 10/11/2013 03:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::6204

I wouldn't mind seeing KI characters as Xbox exclusive DLC characters in MK10. As much as i would love to see a MK X KI it probably won't happen unless MS throws a tone of money at NRS because it would be exclusive to XBO.

I could see either Jago, Saberwolf or Thunder fitting in really well with the MK cast. Jago being the closest thing to a MK X SF match-up. Saberwolf because there needs to be more animal characters in MK besides Reptile and Thunder would be nice, just to see how a grappler actually works in MK. Although he would be the least likely to show up because Nightwolf is already in the game.

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/11/2013 04:24 PMStatus ::

Kabal20 Wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing KI characters as Xbox exclusive DLC characters in MK10. As much as i would love to see a MK X KI it probably won't happen unless MS throws a tone of money at NRS because it would be exclusive to XBO.

I'd rather they just put in one console exclusive character for each console. Xbone could get Jago and PS4 could get Sweet Tooth. That way everybody is happy and the game isn't saturated with guests.

And I doubt NRS would do a KI crossover even if Microsoft actually paid a bunch of money. Here's why: NRS knows they'd make less money by making an exclusive game on one platform. And it's pretty obvious NRS loves money since they continually release Ultimate editions of their games.

blacksaibotPosted: 10/11/2013 05:40 PMStatus ::

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
...And it's pretty obvious NRS loves money since they continually release Ultimate editions of their games.

After the debacle over at Midway who can blame them?

RiyakouPosted: 10/11/2013 05:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::5624

I wouldn't mind if Sweet Tooth got a spot in Mortal Kombat as long as Dollface tagged along.

Now there's bad bitch.

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/11/2013 06:49 PMStatus ::

blacksaibot Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
...And it's pretty obvious NRS loves money since they continually release Ultimate editions of their games.

After the debacle over at Midway who can blame them?

Yeah but they're not exactly hurting for sales. MK and Injustice sold pretty well

Noob7SmokePosted: 10/11/2013 07:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::1632
Nationality::Mexico

No guest characters please.

big thanks to flameshang for the sig.
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/12/2013 02:56 PMStatus ::

Noob7Smoke Wrote:
No guest characters please.

Not even if there was an option to turn them off?

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.