Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (2014 film)
posted05/14/2015 03:12 PM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
SmokeNc-017
About Me
art by fear-sAs
10/25/2013 07:50 PM (UTC)
Yeah this looks like it could be pretty good. I enjoyed Iron Man 3 a lot. I haven't seen Thor 2 yet, but IGN didn't seem too hot on it (Not that I need their opinion on it, but it's the first review of the film I've seen). This could be cool though. We get to see Falcon, we get the Steve Rogers: Agent of Shield costume, maybe some WWII flashbacks since Cap is wearing his old uniform at one point in the trailer. Black Widow looks like she'll have at least as big a role in this as she did in Avengers 2. Sebastian Stan as Bucky/Winter Soldier is looking really cool. I AM glad they dropped the domino mask and went for a more lower face cover look. Looks great though. Seems like Marvel is kicking off their 2014 movie blitz early. Really interested to see how the movies cross over this time around, and at the end of '14 we get Guardians of the Galaxy. So there's also that to look forward to.
Zentile
10/25/2013 07:50 PM (UTC)
The full trailer was pretty badass. I didn't really like the first movie that much, so this seems like a massive improvement.
KungLaodoesntsuck
10/25/2013 08:51 PM (UTC)
Haven't seen the first movie yet. But I'm really excited for Winter Soldier. I gotta hurry up and see the first movie.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
10/26/2013 03:41 AM (UTC)
Zentile Wrote:
The full trailer was pretty badass. I didn't really like the first movie that much, so this seems like a massive improvement.

Right there with you. Love Captain America, thought the first movie fell pretty flat. Disappointed by the blue-grey palette and costume change, but really impressed by the sequel trailer. Looks solid!
RazorsEdge701
10/26/2013 06:20 AM (UTC)
I actually really liked the first movie. I'll miss that Rocketeer-style over the top action approach to the WWII setting.

This does look like it's shaping up to be pretty rad, though. I'm a bit surprised there's so little footage of the Winter Soldier, and NO dialogue talking about who he is, in the trailer for a movie with his name in the title, though. Maybe they're just trying not to spoil all the best parts?
Coltess
10/26/2013 08:50 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
I actually really liked the first movie. I'll miss that Rocketeer-style over the top action approach to the WWII setting.

This does look like it's shaping up to be pretty rad, though. I'm a bit surprised there's so little footage of the Winter Soldier, and NO dialogue talking about who he is, in the trailer for a movie with his name in the title, though. Maybe they're just trying not to spoil all the best parts?

I'm with you. I loved the flag draped pulpiness of The First Avenger! Also, the USO idea? I mean, I don't much care for meddling with origin stories- but that addition I felt was extremely appropriate and a good choice for a live-action movie. And remember, I say this as Cap's biggest fan. I'm a huge Cap fan; he is my favorite Avenger, favorite hero, favorite hat, favorite pair of undies, favorite piece of wall decoration, and favorite comic to read. He is my comic idol.

The trailer, obviously, smacks of Brubaker. From the trailer it seems that the writers drew heavily from his style, rather than just the story line. I'm gonna be honest and say Brubaker's Cap, while I love him, isn't my favorite (which allowed me to take to Remender quicker than others) but dear God, Brubaker's Cap was made for the big screen. That might actually be part of what put me off about Brubaker's Cap (not to say I didn't enjoy his work), everything seemed movie-ish. Now, I love the First Avenger, probably for the same reason a lot of people don't. It has some definite Kirby vibes in it, which some would probably call goofy or unbelievable, but I love it.

I have one concern, however, with Winter Soldier; politics. A good writer can make people of two opposing sides think the character believes in their cause. Cap, in my opinion, is meant to represent what the reader believes America should be like (within reason), I'm concerned that Hollywood can't pull that off and will just assign a point of view. HOWEVER, I really doubt that this is going to be a problem as it will most likely be a -rogue elements of shield or corrupt government officials- type situation.

As for costume, I'm betting the black and grey that resembles his Captain Roger's uniform from the Secret Avengers is his "Shield Uniform." As we see him in three separate uniforms in the trailer- the Capt. Rogers Uniform, One that looks to be a TFA Flashback, and then I think there is another Red, White, and Blue (or perhaps a replica of his original) that seems to be worn in the present day. My guess is -once shield get's nasty he sheds the Capt. Rogers outfit and goes back to classic Cap (or a variant there of)

All in all, I am excite.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/26/2013 01:33 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

WWII as a period was terrific and had a lot of great moments, but I thought much of the first film lacked real punch in [a lot of] its key moments and in the overall film quality. Found it meandering often, limp at times, and the very end was air rushing out of a lead balloon. [In counter view, I was a bit disappointed WWII was taken off the board so quickly. Still wishing for an Invaders flick!]

I like the impression that The Winter Soldier looks like it has something to say, packs punch in plenty of places, and is a complete vision unto itself. They're giving a great impression of everything that's coming, but there's plenty withheld. Not just the details of the titular Winter Soldier, but also other known quantities -- like Arnim Zola and Batroc The Leaper!

I was craning to look over the heads of the Thor, Cap & Avengers sequels, expecting Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man to be the interesting ones. I'm pleased to have been slapped in the face with the shield I made out of cardboard boxes as a kid. Good stuff.

coltess Wrote:
I'm with you. I loved the flag draped pulpiness of The First Avenger!

More pulp would've been nice, if you ask me.

EDIT: I am inclined to wonder if Robert Redford is secretly the Red Skull.
RazorsEdge701
10/26/2013 06:28 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

I've been thinking since his casting, "Y'know, he and the reports about the character he's playing remind me a lot of Dell Rusk..."
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/26/2013 07:16 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

I've been thinking since his casting, "Y'know, he and the reports about the character he's playing remind me a lot of Dell Rusk..."

Haha. Yeah. I think anyone remotely in-the-know had to have the same thought. I'd welcome the splash of red in this utterly blue-grey world. I don't imagine there'll be a lot of purple and orange elsewhere.

Look at that red mofo...
RedSumac
10/28/2013 06:08 AM (UTC)
I liked the first movie, especially the part that dealt with realistic stuff (begining and propaganda tour). I love retrostuff like this. I hoped it will be a bit more realistic and similar to the classic war movies, when it'll come to the actual action, but in the end it wasn't...that bad. Certainly it was one of the most entertaining Marvel, that I have seen. The only thing, that I really didn't like was whatever had happened with Red Skull. It was quite sudden and without any kind of build up. He just..."special effected" away.

Anyhow, it'd be interesting to see Captain America in the modern setting (I haven't seen The Avengers, so far) and I hope creators of the movie will be able preserve semi-realistic atmosphere from the first movie.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/04/2014 08:47 AM (UTC)
Anybody know of any Crossbones or Batroc pictures out there?

I keep running across headlines about new detailed costume photos and the like and it's just Cap, Winter Soldier and Black Widow again and again. I'm much more interested in the villains and how far they're going with them!
Icebaby
01/04/2014 05:18 PM (UTC)
I liked the first movie, can't wait for this one.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/31/2014 08:47 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

Fair effort! Hopefully there's a bit of mask action before that.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/03/2014 04:18 AM (UTC)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Super Bowl Trailer

Tough to imagine any of the competition touching this one.

Awesome trailer and they haven't even scratched Crossbones & Batroc!
Kabal20
About Me

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

02/03/2014 04:51 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

I keep running across headlines about new detailed costume photos and the like and it's just Cap, Winter Soldier and Black Widow again and again. I'm much more interested in the villains and how far they're going with them!

And a costume illustrator teasing Crossbones:

Acroding to IMDB, Frank Grillo is cast as Rumlow/Crossbones and Wiki lists Georges St-Pierre as playing Batroc.
Batroc:
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/03/2014 05:32 AM (UTC)
When I say Crossbones and Batroc - I mean in costume. C'mon.
Spaceman
02/04/2014 12:10 AM (UTC)
I'm very much looking forward to this movie and am getting more and more into Captain America in general. However, that said, who are Batroc and Crossbones exactly? And more importantly, how do they pose a threat to cap? I haven't ever really heard of them until this thread, although I have seen Crossbones in comics before briefly, and after reading a little bit about them on wikipedia I feel like i still don't know much about them. And since neither of them have super powers (i think??) i don't see how they could give captain America much of a fight. Are they like really, really small time villains or is the Winter Soldier gonna have Cap facing off against 3 villains like the upcoming Spider-man movie? Anybody feel free to enlighten me I am very curious

Also, not sure if this was the ad played in the superbowl, but below is a new trailer for the movie. Shows a lot more of the winter soldier. Looks awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI
RazorsEdge701
02/04/2014 10:24 PM (UTC)
Batroc is indeed smalltime.

But you ever hear how Cap died for a while after Civil War? Crossbones is the dude who shot him.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/04/2014 10:39 PM (UTC)
Cap is traditionally regarded at the peak of human ability. He doesn't have overt super powers. So it stands to reason his arch-villains probably aren't all going to be super-humans, either. He's a soldier with swell hand-to-hand fighting abilities. Who's a good foil for a fighting soldier? Nasty masked mercenaries and hand-to-hand fighters, of course!

Crossbones is by no means "small time". For lack of a better reference, he's kinda like the Bane to Captain America's Batman. He's a physical masked muscle man who isn't a complete moron. He's got a couple of big hits to his name [eg; aforementioned Death Of], but is closer to the hench goon variety than Bane. Frequent right hand muscle for the likes of Red Skull -- something that may or may not be quite relevant.

Batroc The Leaper is a French master of savate. I think that's enough.
As Frenchmen in orange and yellow outfits are want to do, he's prone to being a bit of a comedy foil. Don't let the silly accent and such fool you, though. He's a kick ass kicker who's matched Cap many times over the years with powerful legs and a mastery of savate. Probably in there as an extra goon for hire. Very cool addition, especially if they don't sell him up the river. [Photo suggests he's at least going to get some kicks in, even if it ends poorly.]

For me, those two are much more interesting than Winter Soldier.

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
Probably shouldn't be too surprised if Cap & Winter Soldier wind up fighting Crossbones (etc) together by movie's end.

Spaceman Wrote:
Also, not sure if this was the ad played in the superbowl, but below is a new trailer for the movie. Shows a lot more of the winter soldier. Looks awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

It is.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/16/2014 02:00 AM (UTC)
'Captain America' Toys May Tease Villainous 'Winter Soldier' Return

Apparently some people are surprised by this.
Spider804
02/16/2014 02:04 AM (UTC)
I'd rather have Baron Zemo, 'course they could just save him for Cap 3.
Coltess
02/16/2014 03:23 AM (UTC)
The wait is getting unbearable
Spider804
02/16/2014 03:57 AM (UTC)
You're an Avenger mister, YOU HANG IN THERE!!
UlcaTron
02/22/2014 01:44 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
'Captain America' Toys May Tease Villainous 'Winter Soldier' Return

Apparently some people are surprised by this.

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
Really great to see Red Skull make his return and fuck over Steve Roger's day.
Pages: 3
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.