Coltess
02/23/2014 04:12 AM (UTC)
Hurry up already!
UlcaTron
02/26/2014 01:19 AM (UTC)
coltess Wrote:
Hurry up already!

Just going out there and saying I'm the bigger fan of Captain America... yup.
Coltess
02/26/2014 02:16 AM (UTC)
UlcaTron Wrote:
coltess Wrote:
Hurry up already!

Just going out there and saying I'm the bigger fan of Captain America... yup.

OH HAIL! NAW!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
03/06/2014 11:22 PM (UTC)
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1723588/captain-america-winter-soldier-set-visit.jhtml

Nothing new if you've been following along, but a nice little sizzle piece If you're keen. May or may not be a few tid bits you've missed.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
03/11/2014 11:18 PM (UTC)
'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': The Early Reviews Are In

Embargo gag lifted on folks who've seen it. Not seeing any obvious spoilers, but if you're getting a taste, go in with eyes open. There may be spoilers.
Coltess
03/12/2014 04:38 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': The Early Reviews Are In

Embargo gag lifted on folks who've seen it. Not seeing any obvious spoilers, but if you're getting a taste, go in with eyes open. There may be spoilers.

Very exciting! I especially loved that one guy's critique was that it's "too plotty." Everyone else is raving over the story- that guy just wants explosions.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/19/2014 06:14 AM (UTC)
- 12 New CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Images

Batroc The Leaper leaps into action!

I wish he had a mask and a sillier moustache - but I'll take it, gladly!

Robert Redford ain't foolin' nobody!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/20/2014 04:14 AM (UTC)
RedSumac
03/20/2014 04:08 PM (UTC)
Looks old school, like poster for some adventure movie from the 60s or 70s. Nice.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/20/2014 04:32 PM (UTC)
- ‘Captain America 3′ Could Feature ‘Psychotic 1950s Cap’

"“We’ve definitely set out on a more realistic road in the Cap movies, you know,” Markus added. “Even more grounded than in the other MCU movies. And so it kind of rules out Cap fighting the Dinosaur Man or something like that. There are some that aren’t gonna start and other ones that — I mean there’s a couple we’re playing with right now that we really want to take elements from. Which we’ll not reveal. ... All I’m saying is psychotic 1950s Cap.”"

We're getting a little ahead of ourselves, but it's pretty juicy speculation.
Not sure if a "villainous" Captain America from the past is the best way to follow up on a movie sub-titled The Winter Soldier. Still, very interesting.
Spider804
03/20/2014 05:35 PM (UTC)
To be fair, Bucky fought the 50's Cap during his run as Captain America. so it's not like this idea is entirely out of left field. Even so, I'd rather have Baron Zemo pop up in the third.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/23/2014 05:52 PM (UTC)
Spider804 Wrote:
To be fair, Bucky fought the 50's Cap during his run as Captain America. so it's not like this idea is entirely out of left field. Even so, I'd rather have Baron Zemo pop up in the third.

It's just an issue of basic thematic similarity. They've got a finite number of opportunities to tell these stories. Alternate Caps is a perfectly interesting and valid place to tell stories, but to burn that much film on repetitive themes or gimmicks could become a tad tedious [see; Iron Man 2]. Especially when - as you say- there are some heavy hitters like Baron Zemo to explore. Although, there's always Avengers for some of those.
RazorsEdge701
03/23/2014 05:56 PM (UTC)
Rumor has it that Hydra, led by Strucker, will appear in Avengers 2, maybe they feel Zemo would be a bit redundant after that, like "We can't just keep making Cap vs. Nazis movies"?
At least a story about crazy 50's Cap could potentially explore Steve vs. American Jingoism, which has always been interesting the past times it's been done in the comics, to see how Cap's patriotism isn't blind and he doesn't stand for the country, he stands for the ideal of what it's SUPPOSED to be and will actually fight something American when it's morally wrong.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/23/2014 06:20 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
At least a story about crazy 50's Cap could potentially explore Steve vs. American Jingoism, which has always been interesting the past times it's been done in the comics, to see how Cap's patriotism isn't blind and he doesn't stand for the country, he stands for the ideal of what it's SUPPOSED to be and will actually fight something American when it's morally wrong.

My first thought is that it seems like there's a bit of that in Winter Soldier, too. At least in so far as Cap questioning orders and turning tail on his superiors. That might just be good grounding for the all-out turn you're talking about, though. [Alternatively, that might be the version of the story we get. A safe version, ala; brief glances of bottle demons in Iron Man].

In favour of Bad Bucky to Bad Cap might be the chance to play with the thematic opportunities, but on the hand... Which character are they likely to go farthest with? The Russian agent, or the US agent? Psycho Cap has a lot of sting in it. Is that the Hollywood, toy selling way?

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Rumor has it that Hydra, led by Strucker, will appear in Avengers 2, maybe they feel Zemo would be a bit redundant after that, like "We can't just keep making Cap vs. Nazis movies"?

I imagine a Hollywood Baron Zemo might dwell more on the general arch-nemesis, super-villain aspects. The thought occurs if Hydra and Strucker were to be in an Avengers movie -- that might be a fine place to spin Zemo off. Maybe that lends itself to a grudge match in Cap 3, or maybe it stays in super-villain territory and they go for The Masters of Evil. I don't know if there's room. I don't know how much of the [Avengers sequel] we expect Ultron and Vision to occupy.

It's an embarrassment of riches, all these story options!
RazorsEdge701
03/23/2014 06:41 PM (UTC)
I think the Strucker/Hydra content in A2 is meant to be something brief at the beginning, the rumor has it that that's where Wanda and Pietro defect from, since Marvel can't use Magneto and the Brotherhood of Mutants.

Hydra could also be the initial threat that causes Ultron to be unleashed as a peacekeeping robot before he goes bad. (Considering Marvel recently released concept art for an A2 scene where Hulk fights Hulkbuster Iron Man, it's starting to look like a pretty busy flick...)

Personally, I'd love to see the Masters of Evil eventually. I always dig it when the heroes have to fight a team of their opposite numbers. I doubt there'll be room for them in A3 though since that's been confirmed to be the Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet movie.

Who knows what Marvel's plans post-Phase 3 even are, though. I believe Kevin Feige has indicated a desire to never reboot and just keep using the same continuity for as long as possible even if it requires recasting parts, a'la the James Bond series and the Burton/Schumacher Batflicks, but they're going to have to recast a lot of roles, with contracts running out and Downey Jr. already near the end of his and getting up there in age.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/23/2014 07:08 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Who knows what Marvel's plans post-Phase 3 even are, though. I believe Kevin Feige has indicated a desire to never reboot and just keep using the same continuity for as long as possible even if it requires recasting parts, a'la the James Bond series and the Burton/Schumacher Batflicks, but they're going to have to recast a lot of roles, with contracts running out and Downey Jr. already near the end of his and getting up there in age.

That's gonna be one of the interesting developments. Chris Evans is already talking about taking a complete break from acting after his Marvel contract is up. Marvel Comics -- which, despite denials, have a knack for predicting some trends in the films -- have been working hard on developing legacy lines for different characters. You've got to wonder if the movie age, subject to contractual negotiation, isn't going to give way to another boom for second characters.

We've got The Winter Soldier entrenched and ready to take the reigns like he did in the comics. War Machine's got unused dates if Downey Jr is feeling tired. Lady Sif is getting more work than Thor. Maria Hill is ready to take over SHIELD if Nick Fury goes underground. Guardians of the Galaxy will test the threshold for Marvel's launching powers.

Falcon, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and more are coming to the table. The street level "Defenders" will install street level stars as heroes. It'll be interesting to see if recasting is even necessary, or if they just flip the negative into a positive. What if The Masters of Evil - dark shadows of the original heavy hitters - don't get a look in until the second generation? That might be fun!

We're getting into Avengers 2 thread territory. Might be time to transition.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/25/2014 09:53 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/03/2014 05:07 AM (UTC)
Coltess
04/03/2014 06:25 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
- A Captain America (& Red Skull) For Every Age: Casting an Icon for Each Decade

Very fun article. Well worth a look!

I think the 70s casting would have been awesome.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/03/2014 06:32 AM (UTC)
coltess Wrote:

Yes! Little sketchy on Redford, but Cushing makes me wish it happened.
Actually, I think Red Skull got the better list just in general. Gert Frobe's the only one I'm not wild about.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/03/2014 02:02 PM (UTC)
- Chris Evans Isn't Retiring from Acting After All

The focus here was more on what might happen if the heavyhitters departed, but evidently Evans has added texture to his "retirement" talks.
Coltess
04/03/2014 02:26 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
coltess Wrote:

Yes! Little sketchy on Redford, but Cushing makes me wish it happened.
Actually, I think Red Skull got the better list just in general. Gert Frobe's the only one I'm not wild about.

I think Redford could have pulled it off, but I've got a bit of a soft spot for Redford as an actor. As a kid, I LOVED Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- so much so, my mother called me "Sundance." I think I destroyed that VHS from watching it so many times. Also, I came to find out years later that a younger Redford appeared in my favorite Twilight Zone as a starkly different character. So, I think he could have made it work in the 70s.

ALSO, I'm catching an early showing of Winter Soldier tonight. I am excite.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/03/2014 02:40 PM (UTC)
coltess Wrote:
As a kid, I LOVED Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- so much so, my mother called me "Sundance."

She didn't happen to call you that while shooting the ground at your feet, did she?

coltess Wrote:

Be sure to post some kind of review! I'll be saving my pennies for the DVD.
KungLaodoesntsuck
04/03/2014 02:42 PM (UTC)
Finally watched Cap 1, now I can watch Cap 2. I'm trying to go to see it this weekend.

coltess Wrote:

Luckyyyyy
Coltess
04/03/2014 03:30 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
coltess Wrote:
As a kid, I LOVED Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- so much so, my mother called me "Sundance."

She didn't happen to call you that while shooting the ground at your feet, did she?
Now that I think about it....

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
coltess Wrote:
coltess Wrote:

Be sure to post some kind of review! I'll be saving my pennies for the DVD.

Can do.
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.