Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (28.2%)
Jade (43.5%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (23.0%)
Freddy Krueger (5.1%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • September 18th, 2017
    Raiden & Black Lightning Electrify in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • September 14th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Pop! Vinyl Coming Soon [Read On]
  • September 1st, 2017
    No More Mortal Kombat Guests for Injustice 2 [Read On]
  • September 1st, 2017
    Kombat Kon 2017 Returns This Month [Read On]
  • August 31st, 2017
    Speculation: Will Fighter Pack 3 Deliver Third Kombatant? [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 5

Mick-LuciferPosted: 10/26/2013 09:01 AMStatus ::
Kevin Tancharoen Leaves Mortal Kombat Movie

In a brief tweet: Kevin Tancharoen has apparently signalled his departure from the Mortal Kombat movie franchise.

The director launched Mortal Kombat: Legacy Season II at the end of September [watch], and had been discussing a third online season throughout promotion [read more]. He cites other creative opportunities as motivation for leaving the long rumoured feature film.

Tancharoen exploded onto the scene in 2010 when his unofficial Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short went viral. The live-action footage soon won him the directors chair for Mortal Kombat: Legacy, with plans for a feature film to follow. The online series served as prominent cross-promotion for the 2011 Mortal Kombat game, and rebooted the license under Warner Brothers. Legacy was reported to set a new benchmark for online serial content with millions of views, becoming one of the most watched shows of its kind in YouTube history [more].

While there was certainly success; Tancharoen's individualist approach to the established Mortal Kombat trademarks was always divisive. The initial impact of Rebirth's severe tone found and defined an audience eager for violence and self-seriousness. Legacy struggled to have it both ways thereafter: Neither faithful to the hugely successful source material of the games, nor the vastly removed, urban reinvention of Rebirth. Legacy II utilized core storylines from the games and previous films, but radically rewrote and recast characters and scenarios. It received the most mixed critical response from fans.

Released together; the ten episodes of Legacy II have struggled to recreate the immediate success of the first series. At the time of writing, the first episode boasts over 3.6 million views, but is followed by a 60% drop off that persists as an average just under 1.1 million for the remaining episodes. The penultimate episode [#9] currently has 903,805 views from 3 weeks -- impressive in general, but a step down from the record setting numbers of the virgin series.

As genre adaptations continue to overwhelm the box office - the bar is set high for this proven quantity. The Paul Anderson directed Mortal Kombat wowed audiences in 1995 with its combination of martial arts action, iconic fantasy and mythic story. It wasn't anywhere near the big budget vehicle of today's superhero blockbusters, with which the Mortal Kombat license may be compared to moving forward.

Tancharoen teased a working film script in June, 2012, and laughed off reported plot leaks around the same time. Departing well wishes suggest the framework for the long rumored movie is still in tact -- even if it needs a new director. Assuming, of course, there isn't already one in the picture. Michael Jai White (Jax) pinned his expectations for a return on the film [full story].

Rumors about a third movie have been a fixture of the landscape since the disappointment of Annihilation. Mortal Kombat Online has been reporting on the film and its many false starts since 2001 [and before]. Long time fans may see this as a disappointing return to development hell, but it could also signal something bigger and better than the low budget approach thus far. Warner Brothers have made noted changes to their approach to adjacent DC Entertainment properties in recent years.

Do you think Warner Brothers are reconsidering their approach to the series ahead of a new game? Is there a director you think fits the bill, or an approach to the material we need to see? Share your thoughts and speculation about this major development on the forums!

KenshiMaster16Posted: 10/25/2013 07:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::10104
Nationality::United States
Kevin Tancharoen Leaves MK: Legacy Season 3 / Film

"After 3 years of Kombat,I've decided to move on to other creative opportunities. I wish everyone involved in the movie big success. Thanks!"

https://twitter.com/KTANCH/status/393872867852435456

So, I wonder what's gonna happen with the film and Legacy now that Kevin's gone? Hopefully it doesn't all fall apart again....

ThellinPosted: 10/25/2013 09:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::5395
RE: Kevin Tancharoen Leaves MK: Legacy Season 3 / Film

Honestly, after the disapointing second season, i'm not surprised.

ZentilePosted: 10/25/2013 09:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::13932
Nationality::Portugal

I'm pretty happy about this. I don't think Kevin really has his priorities straight when telling a story, and his vision of MK, though full of great visuals and exciting ideas, is a little childish.
I am glad they're switching things up.

Spider804Posted: 10/25/2013 11:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::6938

Great, now MK is back in development hell.

RedSumacPosted: 10/25/2013 11:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::2302
Nationality::Russia

Spider804 Wrote:

What he said.

At least with KT there was a chance for movie to happen, now it's back to the times of MK Devastation, where nothing is confirmed. Oh, well. I guess executive meddling really fucked up with this one.
The saddest thing about it is that KT didn't had a chance to make MK movie with new take on the mythology.

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 10/25/2013 11:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::19710

I'm pretty pissed. Now everything is completely up in the air.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
Spider804Posted: 10/26/2013 12:32 AMStatus ::

Don't misunderstand my previous post, I wasn't exactly that thrilled with Legacy or Kevin's overall vision and whatnot, but like Sumac and KLDS said, with this news, until further notice, we're pretty much back to square one now.

Baraka407Posted: 10/26/2013 01:21 AMStatus ::

Visits::8957

It's disappointing. I was on the fence about his use of the characters and whether he should've told a story more strictly in line with the game's narratives or whether he should give not just his vision of the characters, but his own story told within the mythos of the MK universe.

But either way, he was a champion of bringing MK back to the big screen and that enthusiasm will be missed by this fan.

Hopefully WB sees how much support Rebirth and two seasons of the web series had and decide to go forward with a new director with an even better vision.

Spider804Posted: 10/26/2013 01:27 AMStatus ::

Baraka407 Wrote:
It's disappointing. I was on the fence about his use of the characters and whether he should've told a story more strictly in line with the game's narratives or whether he should give not just his vision of the characters, but his own story told within the mythos of the MK universe.

But either way, he was a champion of bringing MK back to the big screen and that enthusiasm will be missed by this fan.

Hopefully WB sees how much support Rebirth and two seasons of the web series had and decide to go forward with a new director with an even better vision.

Agreed.

Kabal20Posted: 10/26/2013 02:00 AMStatus ::

Visits::6204

I'm sure it was over creative control of the movie. I'm sure the studio and WB wanted a movie more closer to the character mythos and Kevin wanted it another way.

I mean he was the one who put together the fan movie (out of his own pocket even) that got Legacy going. I seriously doubt he just dropped all interest in MK for something else.

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/26/2013 02:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::20795

Sounds to me like he got fired or the studio wouldn't let him do what he wanted and he's just being diplomatic about how he discusses the split to me.

Personally, I'd rather have no news of an MK movie coming than knowing they're working on a bad one, because with no movie, there's always the chance one could pop up. But if a bad movie comes out, it'll kill the chance of getting another one for another ten years.

And Legacy season 2 nearly dipped to Annihilation quality, so...yeah, the movie probably wouldn't have turned out so well.

RedSumacPosted: 10/26/2013 02:35 AMStatus ::

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Sounds to me like he got fired or the studio wouldn't let him do what he wanted and he's just being diplomatic about how he discusses the split to me.

There were some negative comments from Kary-Hirouki Tagawa on the producers of the web-series, so I am not sure, if it was the case of just WB people being disagree with KT's vision.

blacksaibotPosted: 10/26/2013 08:05 AMStatus ::

Visits::9005
Nationality::Bahamas

KT had something good going when he made MK Rebirth, and a little something decent with Season 1. But the second season was just... *throws up in mouth*

I'm happy to see him gone, honestly. His enthusiasm for MK and his ability to do something no other fan managed to do will be missed... but not his mixed vision of MK. Rebirth had more potential than Legacy. Either you go completely realistic like rebirth or you stick to the original MK mythos. Don't squeeze half and half. It just did not work out at all that way.

I think KT would have been successful and still involved had they let him stick to his original Rebirth vision of MK. Not forcing him to do what "they" want him to do.

RedSumac Wrote:
Spider804 Wrote:

What he said.

At least with KT there was a chance for movie to happen, now it's back to the times of MK Devastation, where nothing is confirmed. Oh, well. I guess executive meddling realy fucked up with this one.
The saddest thing about it is that KT didn't had a chance to make MK movie with new take on the mythology.

So the fuck what? I don't want a third movie made just for the sake of a third movie being made. I want it to be good. I want it to be a top notch martial arts film that will make fans happy AND please the general public to rake in enough cash to keep the franchise growing!

RedSumac Wrote:
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

There were some negative comments from Kary-Hirouki Tagawa on the producers of the web-series, so I am not sure, if it was the case of just WB people being disagree with KT's vision.

Cite your sources, dude!

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/26/2013 09:30 AMStatus ::

I still think Tancharoen could take his Rebirth idea and make that movie, a kung fu flick about the cops trying to infiltrate an underground cage fighting circuit with a bunch of serial killers with weird gimmicks and illnesses, run by the mob, just change the names of the characters.

He'd have a completely original new franchise that he himself could own the rights to, and it'd look very little like anything Mortal Kombat related. I like adaptations of things I already like as much as anyone, but there comes a time when people should stop trying to remake Robocop and instead try to make the next thing that's as big a hit as Robocop was. Make the next thing that's cool like Terminator or Back to the Future or Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones or whatever you like was..

Or shit, he could at LEAST petition to make a Batman flick now that the franchise is sans director. His Reptile has the exact same origin story as Killer Croc and his Baraka would only need to trade the blades and piercings for a different kind of plastic surgery addiction to be Hush.

RedSumacPosted: 10/26/2013 11:40 AMStatus ::

blacksaibot Wrote:
So the fuck what? I don't want a third movie made just for the sake of a third movie being made. I want it to be good. I want it to be a top notch martial arts film that will make fans happy AND please the general public to rake in enough cash to keep the franchise growing!

I'd prefer to have at least some guarantee that movie WILL be made. With KT there was such a thing. Besides, considering it would have been a different universe from the MKL and had higher budget, it could have benn veru different thing from web-series.

blacksaibot Wrote:
Cite your sources, dude!

Here's my sources, dude!
https://twitter.com/CARYHTAGAWA/status/390090171024023552
https://twitter.com/CARYHTAGAWA/status/391482665486278656
https://twitter.com/CARYHTAGAWA/status/391483060438724608

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
I like adaptations of things I already like as much as anyone, but there comes a time when people should stop trying to remake Robocop and instead try to make the next thing that's as big a hit as Robocop was.

In case of MK it is unescapable. Either it will be remake of the first movie or reboot, which will be somewhat a remake of the original film. Use your logic.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/26/2013 02:23 PMStatus ::

RedSumac Wrote:
In case of MK it is unescapable. Either it will be remake of the first movie or reboot, which will be somewhat a remake of the original film. Use your logic.

I didn't mean in relation to MK, I meant in general.

Tancharoen's Rebirth trailer is about a really kinda cool and original idea. Since it has almost nothing to do with Mortal Kombat, he could easily change the characters' names and make it into a movie and then the world would have a new film franchise in it, which would be nice to see during a time when all the big Hollywood action flicks are based on something from an outside medium.

gorostilllivesPosted: 10/26/2013 02:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::4922

Mortal Kombat Legacy 1 was this generation's "The Journey Begins" while "Legacy 2" was this generation's Conquest.

I hated to see Legacy 2 end on a cliffhanger. I already had suspicion Legacy was done since it was released in full and free, uncensored, including the extras.

Warner Bros. is starting to become a bully in the industry. They done the same shit to an executive producer of "Getaway" (read here: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-getaway-became-a-box-office-bomb-2013-9).

My guess, as consequently you'll find the central plot of "Runner, Runner," Warner Bros. was ultimately embarrassed by Kevin posting his short and getting the attention he got that, instead of serving him a C&D, they intended to give him the chance to do Legacy KNOWING IT WOULD FAIL. And ironically it has, with no official industry trade papers (Variety, Hollywood Reporter) covering the series and officiating what many fans and hopefuls feel was "record-breaking hits" for a web-series, to which I have yet to see any such reputable evidence to suggest in their favor.

oraclePosted: 10/26/2013 03:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::9360

I'm not surprised. It seemed like it was taking FOREVER to hear any significant news about the movie even though it was announced forever ago. My guess is that KT has been away from the project for awhile now probably since Legacy 2 was in production and may even have something to do with the wait we had for that release.

I'm sad though some of it's problems the second season of Legacy is my favorite piece of MK media outside of the games.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Sub-Zero_7thPosted: 10/26/2013 03:58 PMStatus ::

Visits::19142

It's kind of sad news, because he did work to push for this series to have new life in a live-action world. I do like his enthusiasm for the mythology. However, he had a lot of misses with Legacy, especially the second season. If a new movie is still in the works, I hope that they do get a passionate person for a director who will draw from the source material (old canon, mainly) as much as possible.

RiyakouPosted: 10/26/2013 06:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::5624

Welcome back, Devastation.

I wish they could get Tim Burton to do it. That would be fucking sweet.

Imagine a blood-filled Mortal Kombat film directed by him!

MK_Fanatic_Posted: 10/26/2013 08:47 PMStatus ::

Visits::458
Nationality::Canada

MK REBIRTH
A really cool, original take on the Mortal Kombat universe that (as some have already mentioned above) should be turned into its own franchise. If 50 Shades of Gray can do it to Twilight, then why not MK?

MK LEGACY SEASON 1
Pretty good, some episodes not as good as others (Kitana and Mileena... wtf Baraka??) but overall it was great because it hadn't been done before and it revived a piece of MK's franchise that had been missing for years.

MK LEGACY SEASON 2
REALLY wanted this to be good but Kevin's personal vision just got in the way and he really fucked it up by killing both Sub-Zero's. Legacy's Scorpion was great but Kevin is too much of a fanboy.

My hope for MK's film future is simple: reboot the story with the mythology from the games, focus on the first tournament (maybe add a few characters who weren't present in the original MK game like MK2011's story mode) and make it brutal like The Raid with some decent fatalities.

ZentilePosted: 10/26/2013 09:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::13932
Nationality::Portugal

A lot of people are lamenting that this will apparently put the MK movie in developmental hell again (where it's been for over a decade), but I like to believe it's actually the opposite. Until very recently, even after Season 2 of Legacy came out, Kevin was publicly all for creating season 3 and starting proper work on the motion picture. Now all of a sudden he says that after 3 years of kombat it's time to pursue a different avenue?
I think people at WB see real money potential in MK, and weren't satisfied with the awesomely disappointing MK Legacy S2.

It might be wishful thinking, but the truth is the Mortal Kombat license has so far gotten nothing but respect from Warner Bros since the purchase of the franchise. Nether Realm Studios developed a very successful Mortal Kombat "reboot" game, received the honor of creating Injustice: Gods Amongst Us, and of course we have to mention MK Legacy and the announcement of a new movie. I don't think WB is interested in keeping MK in developmental hell, they're not Threshold Entertainment.

SwingBattaPosted: 10/27/2013 12:00 AMStatus ::

Visits::1715

I guess I'm not surprised, given that Legacy 2 all but tanked with the fans. That and he was slated to direct the third movie over two years ago and zip has happened since.

His departure was probably in the making for some time now before being made official today. That's probably the reason why all of Legacy 2 was dumped onto YouTube at once. And the chances of a Legacy 3 are now all but dead in the water with this news.

At this point, there shouldn't even be a third MK movie. The fact that it's been fifteen years means that it's destined never to happen. Let it go.

hankypanky1Posted: 10/27/2013 07:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::1638
Nationality::United Kingdom

+1 mk_fanatic

TC deviatated from the games story. I like the games story but it could do with a some changes, not switch the whole thing up. Also his costumes were very poor. I hope someone used to making big budget movies gets to make MK movie. I want it to be like 300 and Sin City. (Frank miller).

Page of 5

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.