Is there an interest in updating the site?
posted05/26/2014 02:56 AM (UTC)by
Mojo6
About Me

I can't help but wonder if the admins of the site have an interest in any sort of improvement. This is honest speculation and not meant to be critical as I'm legitimately curious if there's even a vested interest from the site holders to revamp the site into something more modern. I can't be certain but the site looks like it hasn't changed since the 90's.
RazorsEdge701
12/17/2013 07:08 PM (UTC)
I don't know that the original site founders really have anything to do with MKO anymore. I mean, the Staff Page lists two administrators and a "sys-admin", but Mick is considered the "Webmaster", and is the only one of the four who's ever active on the board, so I presume if there were to be changes to the site, it would be all on him alone.
And I wonder if he has the knowledge or experience for a major project like overhauling an entire site this big, that hasn't been updated since, like, Deception came out, up to the standards of 2014. As far as I know, his only experience as a webpage designer before taking over for Crow was running a blog.
Toxik
About Me
12/17/2013 07:26 PM (UTC)
Probably not. It doesn't seem like it.
Icebaby
12/17/2013 07:59 PM (UTC)
Nope.
J-spit
About Me
Twilight Muthafuckin' Sparkle

Sig by TheCypher
12/17/2013 08:28 PM (UTC)
:-/

Kabal20
About Me

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

12/17/2013 08:31 PM (UTC)
There was talk from the admins a few years ago that they where in the process of doing the site over (pretty much from the ground up), but nothing ever came of it. The way they where talking, it sounded like the new site would have rolled out within the year. But like I said, this was a few years ago (I want to say maybe 2010/2011, just before the last MK game's release).

The original creators of the site stepped down and traffic seems to be at a snails pace, so I honestly don't think whoever is in control of the site , has any immediate interest in doing the site over. Whoever is running it is doing it in their spare time and isn't being payed. Maybe they'll be a revamp down the road around the time of the next MK release. I know the site's anniversary is around Christmas/New Years and there is usually some kind of news post and site updates have rolled out around that time, but I just don't think there will be one in the immediate future.
hankypanky1
12/17/2013 10:12 PM (UTC)
Maybe this could be a chance to recruit someone new who could do this.
12/17/2013 11:07 PM (UTC)
I doubt this site would see an update even within the next five years.

To be honest, I don't even know how long this site will last. I'm just enjoying it while it's still here.
Historical Favorite
12/17/2013 11:09 PM (UTC)
I still want those new user ranks Crow was hinting at.
Icebaby
12/17/2013 11:09 PM (UTC)
Why is an update though so important? I like the way this site is. What is it that needs to be changed?
Mojo6
About Me

12/17/2013 11:25 PM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:
Why is an update though so important? I like the way this site is. What is it that needs to be changed?

It's not about changing it as much as it's just lacking a lot of features that have become pretty staple in forum communities. I'm guessing you frequent other forums so hopefully you've seen what I'm talking about.
FROID
About Me

12/17/2013 11:33 PM (UTC)
I know I'm in no position of power to say this from my point of view but I would be for an update to this site as well.
Icebaby
12/18/2013 12:49 AM (UTC)
Mojo6 Wrote:
Icebaby Wrote:

It's not about changing it as much as it's just lacking a lot of features that have become pretty staple in forum communities. I'm guessing you frequent other forums so hopefully you've seen what I'm talking about.

I only go on one other site and I don't really see anything fancy with that one. I don't mind if this site gets changed or not, I like it the way that it is as I stated before. I was just confused as to what people want changed here.
RazorsEdge701
12/18/2013 01:14 AM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:
I was just confused as to what people want changed here.

I for one want it to be wide enough to fit normal pictures. Who uses 800x600 anymore, honestly?!
KingBellsprout
12/18/2013 03:09 AM (UTC)
Didn't we get that new font for "Timeline" a while back? That's cool...... right?
hankypanky1
12/18/2013 03:34 AM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:
Mojo6 Wrote:
Icebaby Wrote:

I only go on one other site and I don't really see anything fancy with that one. I don't mind if this site gets changed or not, I like it the way that it is as I stated before. I was just confused as to what people want changed here.

No offense but this site makes me think its old fashioned. Other forums have a different layout like trmk site for example. I think it should be like that. It is more user-friendly. Take it from someone who's studies programming and web design.
Icebaby
12/18/2013 04:01 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Icebaby Wrote:
I was just confused as to what people want changed here.

I for one want it to be wide enough to fit normal pictures. Who uses 800x600 anymore, honestly?!

I'll agree to having this site fix this problem.

hankypanky1 Wrote:
Take it from someone who's studies programming and web design.

Anyone that's not you I'll take "it" from.
legoslayer10
12/18/2013 04:34 AM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:hankypanky1 Wrote:

lol

I just want the site to be popular. That's it. I don't care how fancy it is, as long as I can come here and talk about MK or anything I feel. And, I hate to be the guy to point it out, but I feel that what can restore this site's popularity is the Drive By.
hankypanky1
12/18/2013 04:41 AM (UTC)
legoslayer10 Wrote:
Icebaby Wrote:hankypanky1 Wrote:

lol

I just want the site to be popular. That's it. I don't care how fancy it is, as long as I can come here and talk about MK or anything I feel. And, I hate to be the guy to point it out, but I feel that what can restore this site's popularity is the Drive By.

What is the drive by?

When icebaby told me she doesn't care for her purse, that's when I no longer care for what she says. I've been to two leading purse forums and although I've been banned, I have learnt a lot to do with fashion. And women love their purse and heels very much, any women that doesn't, doesn't have much class. Louis Vuitton is also number one purse maker for women.
FROID
About Me

12/18/2013 05:20 AM (UTC)
hankypanky1 Wrote:
When icebaby told me she doesn't care for her purse, that's when I no longer care for what she says. I've been to two leading purse forums and although I've been banned, I have learnt a lot to do with fashion. And women love their purse and heels very much, any women that doesn't, doesn't have much class. Louis Vuitton is also number one purse maker for women.

What you just said...
RazorsEdge701
12/18/2013 05:36 AM (UTC)
I refuse to believe there's such a thing as a "purse forum".
Forums for video games, that makes sense because hardcore gamers are a kind of nerd. We seek our own to talk to on the world-spanning interwebs because we cannot find it in near proximity. But purses? Certainly, if there were such a thing, the kind of desperate shut-in lunatics who go there would not be genuine fashionistas with their finger on the pulse, those sorts of people don't use message boards, they go outside and socialize with real people, they have friends who also carry purses to talk about purses with. The furthest into the internet they would go for conversation is Facebook and Twitter, staying firmly within the mainstream channels of communication. So how good can the advice of introverted, antisocial internet purse-nerds be?
Jaded-Raven
12/18/2013 05:56 AM (UTC)
I'm interested in seeing an update to this site. Have been for years now.
But this is a topic I can't get into without getting into bitch mode.

Just saying this...
One of the coolest members of this forum was kicked in the balls by mods who promised change and for some reason used that as an excuse for kicking him... and then nothing happened... no changes... nothing.
Spider804
12/18/2013 06:33 AM (UTC)
I don't know, maybe something like what Facebook has where you're able to hide certain posts on your wall so you, don't, have to, look at them, anymore. Something like that.
Jaded-Raven
12/18/2013 06:38 AM (UTC)
I've been on 2 forums who use this:

http://xenforo.com/

It works and it looks good, imo.
The two forums I've been on are the Double Helix Games forum and a Devil May Cry fan forum.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

12/18/2013 07:17 AM (UTC)
First off, I'd love to know where these purse forums are.

On topic, having spent many years "behind the curtain" so to speak, I can tell you that there's nothing new on the horizon. Sure, we kicked around a ton of ideas, and many of them were good and should've been implemented, but the reality of the situation is that there's only one guy who knows how to make that stuff happen and he simply doesn't have the time for this place.

I've seen designs for what V8 would look like, and trust me when I say that they're very sharp. Much more modern, user-friendly, and not a complete waste of space like this layout is.

I'd love for this site to be given the overhaul it deserves, and based on having seen what it would look like, I'm pretty certain you'd all like it too, but unfortunately it's a pipe dream at this point.
Pages: 5
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.