Unearthing Ataris E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (Landfill)
posted11/21/2014 02:58 AM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
- Raiders of the Lost Atari Graveyard!

Through some strange miracle of fate, I have been invited to be one of the “archaeologists” present during the upcoming excavation of the legendary Atari Graveyard! XBox Entertainment Studios is producing a documentary on the dig, and the director Zak Penn invited me to come down and provide commentary on what they find – or don’t find – during the excavation. And you’re invited to be there, too, to witness video game history in the making!

This is pretty damn cool. If you don't know the legend of the E.T. Atari landfill, I can't imagine where you've been. It's one of gaming's greatest pieces of trivia/legend. You can read about it plenty of places on the web, but long story short, apocrypha would have it that Atari's ET was such a miserable experience, thousands of cartridges were doomed to landfill.

I think the first time I heard about it, it was very much urban myth. Over time, it seems to have been revealed to be based in truth and ultimately taken as fact. Reality should become blistered fact when they dig it all up for the documentary. Should be very fun!

Icebaby
04/17/2014 05:12 PM (UTC)
I'm crossing my fingers that they actually find the cartridges in there.
The_Purple_Bunny
About Me

BunnyHaetsU - Ramblings of a man who probably shouldn't be allowed into society.

04/19/2014 03:02 AM (UTC)
I wonder if I still have my old Atari. If I do, then I probably still have my games. One of them being E.T.

That's right, if I still have it then I have an actual E.T. cartridge. Suck it.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
04/27/2014 02:09 AM (UTC)
- Construction workers unearth legendary cache of Atari games in New Mexico desert

"Here it is up close - the very first ET cartridge exhumed after 30 years " - @majornelson

Myth confirmed.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/27/2014 11:45 AM (UTC)
More cool pics via the on-site IGN Instagram:

@franmirabella took this fantastic photo of the #ET #Atari goods. What do you think of the news and would you want the #cartridge as a collectable? #digginget

Ernie Cline @erniecline found an engraved rock with 1982 on it! #digginget #readyplayerone
The_Purple_Bunny
About Me

BunnyHaetsU - Ramblings of a man who probably shouldn't be allowed into society.

04/27/2014 06:38 PM (UTC)
Any news on finding what's left of Atari's integrity in that landfill?
Kabal20
About Me

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

04/27/2014 10:57 PM (UTC)
Those should be worth quite a bit of money to collectors. I was reading the owner of the landfill agreed to let the them keep only 250 copies or 10% of whatever they find (which ever is greater). Apparently Atari also crushed the games when they dumped them, so no telling how many of those copies still work.

I guess Microsoft is funding the documentary as part of an XBox One exclusive content. Part of the TV content MS advertised as part of the XBO system. It will be interesting to check out.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/28/2014 03:20 AM (UTC)
Kabal20 Wrote:
Those should be worth quite a bit of money to collectors. I was reading the owner of the landfill agreed to let the them keep only 250 copies or 10% of whatever they find (which ever is greater). Apparently Atari also crushed the games when they dumped them, so no telling how many of those copies still work.

It's brilliant really. Crush the games so they don't compete with your current product. Put a bunch of dirt on top of the games that didn't sell for 30 years. Dig them up and profit like a mother bitch.

The future of AAA marketing.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/28/2014 04:47 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/31/2014 01:16 AM (UTC)
- Unearthed E.T. Atari games will be curated by New Mexico space museum and then sold

Seven hundred of the 1,300 E.T. and other Atari cartridges recovered from a New Mexico landfill will be appraised, certified and put up for sale, the Alamogordo City Commission decided this week.

"We have been working with the space museum for curation, both for displaying and selling the games; they are now artifacts," Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea told Polygon. "The City Commission acted on Tuesday to give 100 of the games to (documentary production companies) Lightbox and Fuel Entertainment. There are 700 that we can sell."

Fun bit of memorabilia.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

11/21/2014 02:58 AM (UTC)
- Zak Penn Digs up the 'Worst Video Game Of All Time' in 'Atari: Game Over'

When Zak Penn first agreed to direct a documentary surrounding the supposed mass burial of thousands of Atari games in the New Mexico desert, his expectations were low.

"I was expecting it to be a lot more futile," the "Avengers" and "X2" story writer told Indiewire following a screening last week. "I just figured we weren’t going to find anything or if we did it would be inconclusive."

Penn had good reason not to get his hopes up; his previous documentary, "Incident at Loch Ness," had failed to make history by uncovering the legend. But his experience making "Atari: Game Over" led him down a different path: Throughout the process he discovered not only the truth behind the myth, but a surprisingly emotional element at the center of the story.

More in article.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.