Terminator: Genisys (2015 film)
posted07/11/2015 07:27 PM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!

Well, it's happening. Might as well deal with it.
A July 2015 current release schedule. Schwarzenegger's back. Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor; Jason Clarke as John Connor; Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese; Dayo Okeniyi as Danny Dyson; Byung-hun Lee, JK Simmons, Michael Gladis... Directed by Alan "Thor: The Dark World" Taylor. Talk of reboots and new timelines.

What've we got? Joy? Contempt? Trepidation? Excitement?
JohnBoyAdvance
04/25/2014 02:31 PM (UTC)
I'm confused to be honest.

I actually didn't think Terminator 3 and Salvation were that bad and both seemingly led up to "The End of the War with the Machines".

It just seems to be a reboot for the sake of a reboot.

And with all due respect to the great man and I'll probably never (almost certainly) look as good as he does at his age. Christ, Arnie looks old. Politics is never kind to a man. Or woman.

I guess I'm just like: I want Terminator 5 to end the story and I'm getting Nu Terminator to restart the whole thing again.

The only thing that would make me a bit more excited is if Robocop was in it. 1987 version of course.
04/25/2014 04:36 PM (UTC)
I bet Schwarzenegger pitched it himself. lol
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
04/25/2014 09:19 PM (UTC)
Artistically, I think there were places to go after Terminator 2. However, no filmmaker was interested in doing ANYTHING NEW with Terminator. I think it would have been tight to see the new future bring new threats, maybe threats so bad that John Connor actually had to retrace his steps and bring out the T-800's.

But no. Robot war this. Robot war that. The robot war wasn't prevented because it's the robot war that's not preventable. I. Could. Not. Give. A. Fuck. About. The. Robot. War. I think most people would agree that the war we imagined in our heads from the few flashbacks we saw were far better than anything in Salvation.

As for Genesis... I mean, it's whatever. I honestly have no idea what it's about. It definitely doesn't have to suck. If the characters have chemistry and the story is not fundamentally stupid (even if unnecessary), then it might be fun. Terminator Salvation did some dumb shit, but I can forgive stupid. What I can't forgive is bland. HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUNG KYLE REESE THIS BORING!!!
RedSumac
04/26/2014 12:02 AM (UTC)
Fairly neutral.

TG most likely will be another rehash of the tired time travel idea, that was used in three movies already. I am afraid, they will add even more time travel to the story and that'll make movie confusing or stupid. Like this TV show.

Personally, I'd like to see more stuff about Terminator universe, besides time travel, but since in public mind Terminator IS about time travel, producers will go safe route and milk dry this idea. Any attempt to make Terminator movie about something else will fail because "NOT MUH TERMINATOR". Besides, Terminator: Salvation failure doesn't help matters.

I think, that new Terminator movie will not be on par with original two, but as long as it's good movie, I will be OK with it, no matter reboot or whatever else.
Chrome
About Me

04/26/2014 06:55 AM (UTC)
So after a pretty good slasher horror and action film, the third one was unnecessary, but watchable. Dumb, but a passable popcorn flick.

The fourth one was plain bad, now this? Geriatric T800?

It is like the Star Wars movies: they went from a respectable universe to a laughingstock.
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
04/26/2014 08:33 AM (UTC)
As long as it's better then the Bale one, I'm good on it.
The_Purple_Bunny
About Me

BunnyHaetsU - Ramblings of a man who probably shouldn't be allowed into society.

04/26/2014 08:13 PM (UTC)
T3's finest quality was shitting all over T2 by making the latter's plot completely irrelevant in the series. Everything that happened in T2 leading to what was supposed to be the end of Skynet might as well never happened since Skynet was inevitable.

Gee, we went through being chased by living liquid metal, blew up Cyberdyne, all that mess about making our own fate, oh nevermind Skynet's a fixed point in time, sorry you wasted yours.

I didn't even bother with Salvation. I keep forgetting it exists.
RedSumac
04/26/2014 10:25 PM (UTC)
The_Purple_Bunny Wrote:
T3's finest quality was shitting all over T2 by making the latter's plot completely irrelevant in the series. Everything that happened in T2 leading to what was supposed to be the end of Skynet might as well never happened since Skynet was inevitable.

The thing is Cameron was ready to make Terminator 3 himself, back in the 90s, so T2 never was supposed to be "the end of the series". Besides, T2, despite being awesome, had one major plothole, linked to the time travel sheningians.
Personally my favorite movie in the series T1. T2 has ruined some stuff (mostly thematical), that I liked about the first movie.
Coltess
04/27/2014 01:11 AM (UTC)
The_Purple_Bunny
About Me

BunnyHaetsU - Ramblings of a man who probably shouldn't be allowed into society.

04/27/2014 02:58 AM (UTC)
RedSumac Wrote:
The thing is Cameron was ready to make Terminator 3 himself, back in the 90s, so T2 never was supposed to be "the end of the series". Besides, T2, despite being awesome, had one major plothole, linked to the time travel sheningians.
Personally my favorite movie in the series T1. T2 has ruined some stuff (mostly thematical), that I liked about the first movie.

I didn't say "end of the series", I said "the end of Skynet", which was a focus of T2, stopping Skynet from even existing. The problem with T3 is that it reduces what should be two significant events in T2 to having no effect at all on the overall storyline.

Blowing up Cyberdyne becomes unnecessary because the military (which contracted them to make Skynet) ends up getting the research they wanted and developing Skynet anyway. Also, they don't need the chip from the original T-800 to do it, and since that's the case, the 2nd T-800 sacrificing himself also becomes unnecessary because it's done to keep them from using a chip they end up not needing anyway.

You could rewrite T2 to have neither of these events happen, stick John and the T-800 at the start of T3, and that movie could have gone the exact same way since the overall result is the same. Attempts to stop Skynet failed? Fine. But how they completely undermine the those events was just dumb. I like to think Cameron would have come up with something more sensible to explain it than what we got.
RazorsEdge701
04/27/2014 05:33 AM (UTC)
If this is a reboot, I have to question keeping Arnold. Iconic or not...first of all, the logic of a giant bodybuilder being the actor who plays a cyborg designed for infiltration killing was always suspect, but like Chrome said, the original movie was a slasher horror, so the bad guy being towering and unstoppable looking is forgivable.

But the longer it goes on, the more bizarre it becomes that not only is the spy-assassin robot a dude whose looks stand out pretty noticeably, but every one Skynet sends out looks THE SAME, so let's say the humans during the war kill one of these things...that face is never going to fool them and infiltrate their ranks again!

And now the killer robot's disguise isn't just "tall bodybuilder", it's "60 year old tall bodybuilder"? Exactly how many 6 and a half foot tall gymrats does John Connor have in his ragtag-band-of-desperate-survivors army in the future, and how many of them survive long enough to become old men, that this is an effective disguise for the spy-assassin robots?
RedSumac
04/27/2014 01:28 PM (UTC)
The_Purple_Bunny Wrote:
I didn't say "end of the series", I said "the end of Skynet", which was a focus of T2, stopping Skynet from even existing. The problem with T3 is that it reduces what should be two significant events in T2 to having no effect at all on the overall storyline.

You could rewrite T2 to have neither of these events happen, stick John and the T-800 at the start of T3, and that movie could have gone the exact same way since the overall result is the same. Attempts to stop Skynet failed? Fine. But how they completely undermine the those events was just dumb. I like to think Cameron would have come up with something more sensible to explain it than what we got.

I am agree with you. T3 was a cash cow and promo for the governor's compain, so it's not like many people cared about making sense out of story. Hell, it's not even explained, how Cyber-Research got the Cyberdine technology. They could just add lines, that CRS have bought Cyberdine tech and hired its scientist, to restore Skynet technology, it wouldn't take much time, if it all. But they haven't done even that.
On the other hand, it makes sense, that Skynet was not completely averted. Yes, Cyberdine facility was destroyed and many notes as well, as the main creator behind the project were lost, but it's not only plausible, but very likely, that even after all this, somebody would have continued working on the project. After all, they have a lot of people working on it, and in order to completely prevent Skynet from being created, Sarah must have killed every single one of them, which is quite disturbing. In the end, I think, it makes sense, that creation of the Skynet was only postponed. I am not entirely satisfied, with how it was done in T3, for example, why they needed to turn Skynet into virus and some other stuff, but the general idea behind continuation of the story makes sense.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
If this is a reboot, I have to question keeping Arnold. Iconic or not...first of all, the logic of a giant bodybuilder being the actor who plays a cyborg designed for infiltration killing was always suspect, but like Chrome said, the original movie was a slasher horror, so the bad guy being towering and unstoppable looking is forgivable.

You said it yourself. He is too iconic. For some people, Terminator universe is not only movies, but other "expanded universe" as well. But for majority Terminator = Arnold. Logic doesn't work here. It's just how it is.
And if TG is reboot, his appearance in the original movies doesn't count. So no problem here. As for why he is older...well he could arrive to the Earth many years ago. We know that skin of the T800 can rot, after sustaining too much damage. So, it's not out of realm of possibility, that its also can age. Even more so: it makes more sense, if it ages.

I agree - having bunch of cyber assassins who all look the same, compromises the whole infiltrators idea. Sooner or later people would have learned and spread information about Terminator appearance. Of course, in that case Skynet could have had create another mold for his machines. It's still not entirely logical, but makes more or less sense. Besides, in T1 we see how their operate: reach the base, kiil everyhting is sight. They just need to get to the human base, it's not like they need to socialize with humans.

Size of the T800 is just a temporary problem of Skynet's techonology not being developed enough to create human-like machine with endoskeleton similar to the size of the regular human. It's the same thing, why T600 had horrible skin and was twice as big as regular human being. As soon as Skynet developed terminator technology further he created new batch of cyborgs, who were size of regular humans (T1000, TX).
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
05/02/2014 04:44 PM (UTC)
- Update: Matt Smith To Join the New TERMINATOR Trilogy

Time travel and Matt Smith, huh? Fair enough.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/21/2014 01:31 PM (UTC)
- J.K. Simmons talks Terminator: Genesis

Tasty little bit of a teaser. Early days still, obviously.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/29/2014 09:08 PM (UTC)
- This week's cover: First look at 'Terminator: Genisys'

Their recipe calls for one part Teutonic monotone with Arnold Schwarzenegger back in a big way, and four parts exciting new cast with geek bonafides that are sure to appease the Comic-Con masses, plus ground-breaking special effects and a few shocking twists on the canon. Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion. “Since she was 9 years old, she has been told everything that was supposed to happen,” says Ellison. “But Sarah fundamentally rejects that destiny. She says, ‘That’s not what I want to do.’ It’s her decision that drives the story in a very different direction.”

More in the link.
Chrome
About Me

10/31/2014 09:59 PM (UTC)
An AUSTRIAN IS NOT FUCKING TEUTONIC! His accent is nothing like the prussian's accent.

God fucking damn, that particular usage of the word of teuton always makes me want to chokeslam the nearest pregnant woman and park a cement mixer on her stomach. And then i would get really nasty.

On a sidenote, this cannot be stopped. Not unless a large backdraft occurs, enough to make Hollywood think twice about the simple rehash stuff.

The only reason we get cultural trash like this is because we allow it to. They are not going to change until we stop giving them money for it. This could be counteracted by a state-run sponsored quality agency, but that brings a whole another batch of problems with it.

Point:Hulk Hogan is more relevant that Schwarzenegger is now. A disowned liberal republican with fidelity issues who never could act, and his recent enterprises in the movie bussiness were utter shit.

Expendables 3 was a fucking sham.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

11/01/2014 12:00 AM (UTC)
- Get a First Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger in 'Terminator: Genisys'

Spoilers: There will be people shooting guns and shouting. May or may not be directed at something specific. GeniSys~!
RedSumac
12/02/2014 07:19 PM (UTC)
nightbreed_16
About Me

I will rock you.

12/04/2014 10:20 PM (UTC)
I loved the trailer but I don't get why people hate it so much it is freaking awesome.glasses
Grizzle
12/04/2014 10:58 PM (UTC)
So, basically this is Back to the Future part 2 where Kyle McReese gets sent back in time to find out something else happened? Um, I'll pass.

I feel that the Terminator movies don't always need a time traveling theme to advance the plot, it made sense for the first two, but since I was a kid I was hoping that we finally a whole movie dedicated to the great war of 2029 and showing us the fabled hero that John Connor was always revered as by Kyle Reese in the original Terminator.

With the technology that we had from James Cameron's Avatar films we could have seen a fully realized post nuclear Los Angeles that is over run by the Terminators. I was hoping for a nitty gritty, retro, technonoir flick about humanity's struggle in surviving against the Terminators. I was hoping that we see a movie that explains to us the need to send Kyle Reese back in time to save humanity and the conflict that John Connor has doing it in order to create the events that saves his race.

Instead we have "Pops" an old man terminator playing the same role he's been playing since the 1980's. The only thing I can point out that I liked about this trailer was how well they recreated the sequence of Kyle Reese coming back in time from the first film. But damn.... I don't know what to think about this.
Coltess
12/10/2014 10:32 AM (UTC)
Ok, so I've heard a few things about the plot of this movie, so is this it?

Skynet realizes it fails to kill Sarah Connor, so after sending the first Terminator to 1984 they send a second back to kill Sarah Connor as a child. So, 2nd timeline John Connor, after sending Kyle Reese back in time, sends a Terminator back in time to protect his mother. Similar to the events of T2. That Terminator's biosynth skin then ages, creating old Arnie, who then does battle with CGI 1984 arnie, along with the oddly close to Robert Patrick, but obviously Asian T-1000.

But wait, how does Kyle Reese arrive in the second timeline? If we are to believe renowned Time Travel Scientist Dr. Emmett Brown, Reese's reason for time travel would have been wiped away when the new 70s Terminator created a separate timeline by trying to kill Sarah Connor. That means the Kyle Reese arriving in 1984 shouldn't be the one from the original timeline in which the 84 Terminator was the first, but rather a new Kyle Reese from the new timeline. Unless their "time machines" are not really time machines, but rather machines entering past points in parallel universes, which unfortunately reinforces the T3 idea of not being able to prevent skynet from going online.
RedSumac
12/10/2014 03:59 PM (UTC)
coltess Wrote:
But wait, how does Kyle Reese arrive in the second timeline? If we are to believe renowned Time Travel Scientist Dr. Emmett Brown, Reese's reason for time travel would have been wiped away when the new 70s Terminator created a separate timeline by trying to kill Sarah Connor.

Time travel stuff stopped making sense back in T2. So, nothing new here, really.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.