Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (29.7%)
Jade (40.5%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (24.3%)
Freddy Krueger (5.4%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • September 18th, 2017
    Raiden & Black Lightning Electrify in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • September 14th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Pop! Vinyl Coming Soon [Read On]
  • September 1st, 2017
    No More Mortal Kombat Guests for Injustice 2 [Read On]
  • September 1st, 2017
    Kombat Kon 2017 Returns This Month [Read On]
  • August 31st, 2017
    Speculation: Will Fighter Pack 3 Deliver Third Kombatant? [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

DC Universe Injustice

Discussing DC Injustice and Mortal Kombat versus DC Universe.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 05/07/2014 09:20 PMStatus ::
Editorial: The MKvsDC Crossover Nobody Sees Coming

It was the bombshell that rocked us in April 2008. Revealed in a Mortal Kombat Online exclusive: Mortal Kombat versus DC Universe turned the core fighting franchise on its head -- introducing MK's first all-out crossover with another franchise! It brought an end to then-rampant sequel speculation, and created an indelible link with the superheroes that starred in 2013's Injustice: Gods Among Us.

Six years on from that memorable first image [pictured top] - we are again anticipating what might be announced when a mystery countdown ends June 2nd. Sequel rumors persist for both Mortal Kombat and Injustice -- leading to speculation of overlapping, or simultaneous development cycles.

Always up for a lark: NetherRealm Studios Creative Director Ed Boon has thrown "Injustice Too" into the collective vernacular. The overseer of both MK and Injustice is probably just engaging in a little harmless subterfuge, but it alludes to a hypothetical outcome few have even dared to consider.

The next generation is changing the game and we think there's a concept that would make use of dual franchise development. An idea that would land Warner Brothers on the cutting edge of attempting to please everybody. Before we get to that, some history:

Scorpion battles Batman as top selling DLC in Injustice: Gods Among Us.

While it's fair to say crossovers remain a controversial subject - they are also incredibly lucrative. Hollywood has become awash in franchise-building crossovers; while combat gaming series like Super Smash Bros. have been doing big business for years.

Hardcore fighting games have had mixed results, starting life with a string of wacky encounters like: drink mascot Pepsiman (Fighting Vipers), the manga dinosaur Gon (Tekken 3), Daytona USA car Hornet (Fighters Megamix), and others. Various Soul Calibur guest fighters stretched fan acceptance with crossovers from: Tekken, Legend of Zelda, Spawn & Star Wars. The gold standard was arguably set when Capcom extended the life of their lagging Street Fighter franchise in the late nineties - delivering: Marvel vs Capcom and Capcom vs SNK.

Earlier in the year, we learned Scorpion was the highest selling download content for Injustice: Gods Among Us. The same was true for Freddy Krueger: hotly debated horror icon who appeared in Mortal Kombat (2011) in conjunction with a major movie reboot. We don't know exact numbers, but it's clear the appeal of fantasy crossovers extends the promotional reach of games regardless of die hard fans' objections.

The standardization of guest characters in fighting games is obviously in no small part due to the simple battle for consumer dollars. Maximizing revenue to expenditure is important to any business. Capitalizing on the overlap of two established franchises is an easy logic to build, but there's obviously a gamble where the established audience is concerned.

With Mortal Kombat and Injustice: Gods Among Us, Warner Brothers dabbled in a solution to fan outrage by including their guests as DLC. The distributor/consumer compromise was struck eloquently by including their franchise guests as late inclusions in pre-paid 4-character Season Passes. Cost adjusted individual purchase options kept things fair, offering the grace of choice to players.

DLC guests were a good use of the digital medium, but even opt-in extra purchases couldn't erase fandom's perception of missed opportunities and series dilution. As long as DLC extended lifespans are finite: fans will perceive one horror movie icon as one less franchise-relevant kombatant.

As technology and the digital domain develops, so too does the strategy of developers. Killer Instinct, Tekken Revolution & Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate have used next gen consoles to experiment with "free-to-play" hub gaming. Based on optional micro-transactions, they build the opt-in experience into the fabric of the game by offering a basic, free version that can be expanded per user prerogative. By establishing a core platform, it opens the window to infinite development and a new way of expanding series. It remains to be seen if this is a creative boon, or an open window for micro-transaction burglary. It is, arguably, the basis of our speculative crossover, though.

MKvsDC: What if you picked a side & worlds really collided?

A sense of value is one of the principles working against the free-to-play micro-transaction model. Download or disc: it's tough to go past the satisfaction of buying a complete game. It dramatically mitigates suspicion of price gouging, and instantly justifies a purchase with a core measure of content.

Mortal Kombat versus DC Universe was a strong seller in 2008, revealed to have sold over 1.9 million units in a December Midway 10-K Filing. Gamespot reported Mortal Kombat reached an impressive 3 million sales in August 2011. Warner Brothers proved the pulling power of their heroes when solo in the fighting genre: Injustice: Gods Among Us reportedly outselling their rivals by almost 2:1 during launch month. Impressive, but data gathered from dedicated Mortal Kombat sites showed a dramatic drop-off in interest during the Injustice cycle, suggesting a limit to overlap.

From all of this we can clearly infer there is a market for a Mortal Kombat/DC Universe crossover, but not necessarily as much as a pure sequel to each franchise. So -- what if they could have it both ways?

Warner Brothers' MMO DC Universe Online crossed boundaries when it offered cross-platform play between PS3 & PC, and more recently between PS3 & PlayStation 4. What if a similar concept were applied to Mortal Kombat and Injustice as two games developed in a single cycle?

In 2008, the tagline said Worlds Collided. What we're suggesting is that - in 2015 - it would be more than possible to have games collide. Two separate, individually purchased disc releases that support peer-to-peer competition and micro-transactions in both games. In effect, a crossover experience with and between a complete "Mortal Kombat 2" and an "Injustice 2".

Think of it this way: If you have Scorpion in Injustice and play online against someone who hasn't bought that DLC -- your match will still occur. The same would apply for a MK versus DC crossover mode, where owners of Mortal Kombat could challenge players in Injustice, and vice versa.

NetherRealm have made great effect of their hotfix patches in an alternate use of the DLC delivery system, but are yet to dabble in downloadable story matter. It would be a no brainer to allow owners of MK2 and/or DC2 to be able to buy the crossover characters from the other game, but perhaps the Versus experience would be best serviced by also providing a third Versus story mode for download. This could also be free to anyone who has save files from both games.

In essence: It's three games for the cost and labour of one mammoth AAA development cycle. An experiment that would allow NetherRealm Studios to break new ground that makes use of their unique position as marshals of two major franchises. It could conceivably be the crossover that pleases everyone -- allowing fans of either franchise to keep their experience pure, or branch out into the extra crossover experience. A revolution of the franchise crossover, with a simple tweak of development logic.

Pleasing Everyone: Could cross-game online support be the future of crossovers?

Is any of this likely? Well, no. Unlike our Special Forces HD April Fool, we aren't operating under any pretence of this being likely. This is purely a fantasy hypothetical scenario. An idea that addresses the concerns of enthusiastic fanbases, rumors of an Injustice sequel, Ed's playfully inclusive "Injustice Too", and a concept that could very well be the future of franchise crossover gaming. Something conceivably possible with the technology available, but a sideways shift in the conventional approach.

Does this capture your imagination? Does it change your perception of a crossover? Register to share your thoughts on the forum about a potential MKvsDC2, and which side you'd choose. Be sure to join the June 2nd Countdown for the next big reveal, while you're there!

seanayPosted: 05/07/2014 09:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::9273
Nationality::United Kingdom
RE: Editorial: The MKvsDC Crossover Nobody Sees Coming

seriously hope its MK10 or MK2 Directors cut .... don't like cross overs or Injustice

blacksaibotPosted: 05/07/2014 09:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::9002
Nationality::Bahamas

Great write-up. Excellent read.

I really don't want anymore DC junk. Not even as guest characters.

CasselmanPosted: 05/07/2014 10:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::8480
Nationality::Canada

Brilliant idea. I really feel it would boost sales like crazy. MK players would really crave that other experience and vice versa. If this happened, it would strictly have to be multiplayer.

I'd be invested in the idea.

photo Casselman-4_zpsurigoehb.gif
Twitter~Facebook~Youtube~~~~~PSN: Casselman/LockUpYourBones
Kabal20Posted: 05/07/2014 10:44 PMStatus ::

Visits::6204
Nationality::United States

Interesting concept. You're talking about a similar concept to Pokemon, but on a more grand scale. Where essentially the core fighting engines would be the same, but the content would be relevant and franchise specific to either MK or DC game, but would have cross play ability.

I think a lot of people would stand up and take noticed, if NRS took this route. Not just from a gaming perspective, but for the genre itself.

As far as an MK vs DCU 2 dedicated game goes though, I really hope it doesn't happen. I just hated the way MK vs DCU played, the mechanics where terrible and the time was SF strict IMO. I just hated it.

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 05/07/2014 10:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::19710

All I know is if MK goes F2P I 'm done with it.

I would actually be okay with an MKvsDC2. As long as it played like Injustice I'd be more than fine with it.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
hezikiahPosted: 05/07/2014 11:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::177

I was thinking this same thing after reading Ed Boons tweets on top of the rumors of both being in development. The only problems i see are the fact that the games would have to play exactly the same or it wouldnt work and also they would have to tone down fatalities and alter the kombat to fit both styles. But they could easily give fighters an alternate censored or toned down fatality for MK guys to use on DCU fighters. And I'm not opposed to both games using the same mechanics. I'd probably buy both versions to be honest.

hankypanky1Posted: 05/07/2014 11:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::1638

I'd be down for an MK2/Injustice2 fighting game and other being an adventure type game like Deception's Konquest mode.

MalicePosted: 05/08/2014 12:26 AMStatus ::

Visits::662

Honestly I think we're getting a new Mortal Kombat by Netherrealm and Injustice 2 from a company that Netherrealm will supervise. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the games have DLC characters from both franchises with the next game being MK VS Injustice.

With the popularity of Injustice (except for the Hardcore MK fans on this board, the game was loved by millions of fans) I really doubt we will be seeing a MKVSDC2. Though I would love the see a remake of MKVSDC that would play like MK 2011.

Have it the storyline being Joker getting ready to blow up Metropolis just like in Injustice, but as the barriers open between Earthrealm and Outworld to allow Shao Khan to reclaim his Queen it opens a rift allowing the MK characters to cross over into the DC universe and vice versa. Crappy storyline I know, but if I could come up with that in 30 seconds, think of what they could come up with over the course of a couple of years.

THERE IS NO KNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT POWER
hezikiahPosted: 05/08/2014 01:07 AMStatus ::

Visits::177

Yea but the article didn't actually suggest a MKvsDCU game. The article is talking about two separate games that have crossgame online play pretty much. So its MKvsDCU 2 in spirit. I think a straight up MKvsDCU 2 game is a terrible idea. They just don't mesh well together as a story. One is gory and dark and the other is kid friendly and colorful. Which I love them both but in different ways. But they have to alter the DNA of one or both of them to bring them together. MK without gore is like cake without icing, still good but lacks the best part.

Noob7SmokePosted: 05/08/2014 03:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::1632
Nationality::Mexico

i will be pissed off to the max if it's a crossover. I JUST WANT MK.

big thanks to flameshang for the sig.
AbismoPosted: 05/08/2014 03:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::9170
Nationality::Spain

That would be a very interesting concept that I'd love to see working...
I think it's possible MK10 will be presented and Injustice will be teased during E3, but I don't think NRS would allow other developers make Injustice 2... MK is their baby, but Injustice is, too

JohnBoyAdvancePosted: 05/08/2014 05:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::13136

I'd rather have a MK Vs DCU as a comic series tbh.

And I do love that Alex Ross art.

Skaven13Posted: 05/08/2014 12:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::2233

Noob7Smoke Wrote:
i will be pissed off to the max if it's a crossover. I JUST WANT MK.

Ah, but that is one of the beautiful and most appealing points (to me anyway) of this article: you CAN have just MK. That is your option. If you want the crossover, you can have that as well. It is all about different opportunities to play the games different ways. And giving players more options to get the most out of their games is awesome.

Very well written article and elaborate ideas. I would be totally up for this. The important part of all of this would be, as stated in the article, if each game remained pure, with the OPTION to crossover. That is honestly the best path to take if you want to get as close to pleasing everyone as possible.

skavesig
LiteBulb_Posted: 05/08/2014 12:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::88

I'm just not that into a crossover.

Not even in spirit.

NickScryerPosted: 05/08/2014 01:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::5270
Nationality::Ireland

Really cool idea, but as you say...it's probably not possible.

Anyway I wouldn't want it, MK X only please thanks.

DjangoDragPosted: 05/08/2014 02:36 PMStatus ::

Visits::1580

These are the kinds of ideas I want to see more of in the coming console generations. I love how the new Killer Instinct has really broken new ground for fighting games and shown that it's a viable model. I would love to see studios utilize modern technology to produce more "experimental" gameplay platforms like the author of the article put forth.

I would be fascinated by the notion of a F2P MK. I really feel like that's where things are headed. Not everything has to be a massive, disk based venture. The original MK trilogy are still my favorite MKs, so if Netherrealm was to decide to try something like what KI has done, I'd be all for it. Really a stripped down MK focusing on a tight roster and getting the gameplay as good as it possibly can be would be a godsend, for me. All the other stuff in newer MK games is great, but I stick around for the fighting.

Now, I don't for a second see this happening right now, unfortunately. Bring on the new AAA MK. I'd like to be wrong though. I like surprises.

NS922Posted: 05/08/2014 03:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::10311

If we get MKvDC 2 instead of a sequel to MK9, I will not be very pleased.

Hooky-FookyPosted: 05/08/2014 03:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::1061

I'd be disappointed. I feel like it is time for a new MK game, non-crossover.

UltimateRyuPosted: 05/08/2014 05:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::4493

Great concept, though probably way ahead of its time. You can pretty much create your own MK vs DC 2 dream game through this cross fighter integration. On the downside the mechanics and engines would have to be pretty much identical. I really don't want MK to play like a DC fighting game. Still, it's a vision for the future of the genre that will probably become feasible at some point.

MalicePosted: 05/08/2014 06:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::662

Abismo Wrote:
That would be a very interesting concept that I'd love to see working...

I think it's possible MK10 will be presented and Injustice will be teased during E3, but I don't think NRS would allow other developers make Injustice 2... MK is their baby, but Injustice is, too

Warner Brothers owns the rights to Injustice. Not only the game but every character (Scorpion is now a trademark of Warner Brothers) and all content. I could see them wanting to get another one out there and probably wouldn't care if someone other then Netherrealm developed it. However unlike Arkham Origins I doubt they would leave that team unsupervised. Netherrealm has been doing a lot of hiring, so it is possible that the mobile team could be being beefed up to make Injustice 2.

If MK were released first this would allow the core Netherrealm team to shift their focus on Injustice 2 after it released. It would be a wise decision in my opinion to release MK first since Killer Instinct is gaining steam. And since MK would be a multi-platform release it would outsell Killer Instinct no contest.

THERE IS NO KNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT POWER
mkdfanPosted: 05/08/2014 09:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::8517
Nationality::England

If there was another cross over, the only thing that could save it would be if DC allowed the horrific mutilation of their characters, which I can't see happening.

Can we just have a game that continues the story?
Why does everything have to be a reboot, remake, crossover, spin off etc.
I'm really intrigued to see how the MK world is going to be affected by what happened in the last game.
I reckon Ed is just messing with us though so I'm not worried at all and I would be willing to bet cold hard money on June 2nd being the next proper MK game. (I have actually bet my bro £10 it will be at E3, that tenner will be mine!)

CasselmanPosted: 05/08/2014 09:36 PMStatus ::

Visits::8480
Nationality::Canada

Posted this in the other thread. It seems to fit here, also:

"I don't see MKDC2 for one simple reason. The rating.

We already know that WB doesn't want to see anything "MK" happen to their beloved DC characters. Are you really going to do cross-game multiplayer and then limit all the MK'ers who would win from doing their finishing move?

Haha. Okay, guys.

Heroic Brutalities?
Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
The Kommunity didn't approve.

MK will be "M" and Injustice would be "T".

No way."

photo Casselman-4_zpsurigoehb.gif
Twitter~Facebook~Youtube~~~~~PSN: Casselman/LockUpYourBones
ErmaScoPosted: 05/08/2014 09:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::4888

No.

MKDC was the weakest selling game in the franchise last gen. MK9 and Injustice sold more than it. The game was met with criticism and nobody expect a few declared that they are advocating for sequel.

Injustice too means that there is something related to Injustice + Standalone MK instead of it being Injustice 2 alone or MKDC2.

My verdict is that, its MK2 or any standalone MK game. Injustice thingy is either a new updated version targeting PS4/XboxOne (Crapcom's style) or just pure trolling.

ShaolinChuanPosted: 05/08/2014 11:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::14891

The real reason MKvsDC was made was because when Midway owned the MK franchise, they were desperate for money. Merging the 2 together was their only saving grace because all their other games were selling poorly, and the company was going down under. And it did. MKvsDC was not really a complete failure, but it didn't make enough money to save Midway, so they sold all their properties to WB. To be honest, I played the hell out of that game when it came out, and for what it was I really enjoyed it. But I'd rather not have a sequel for it.

MK9 sold more than twice than Injustice did, MK is famous WORLD WIDE. Mortal Kombat 10 has a very important and interesting story to tell. The game should be of amazing quality if MK9 is what we can go by. Most importantly, I hope the game remains in 2D, and Ed doesn't try something drastically different again like he does in most sequels to Mortal Kombat.

Injustice "TOO" references lead me to believe that whatever this countdown is, will reveal an addition to the original completed version of Injustice. Wether you have all the DLC's on the original title, or the ultimate edition, we should be getting something extra. Powergirl and Darkseid. Powergirl has been teased to death now, maybe more so than Martian Manhunter was, and people still didn't think he would make it before his release. Darkseid's character model is redesigned from that of MKvsDC in the mobile version, and clearly they know that we would love to have him on the villains side with PG on the heroes side, to complete the incomplete select screen we currently have.

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.