Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (23.5%)
Jade (41.1%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]
  • December 20th, 2017
    MKX Mobile 2017 Holiday Bonuses & Updates [Read On]
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 06/15/2014 12:21 AMStatus ::
E3 2014: Lead Designer John Edwards has fun with AV Club

No, not that John Edwards. Not that one, either! NetherRealm Studios Lead Designer John Edwards was on the floor at E3 to talk Mortal Kombat X: the freshly revealed 2015 fighter coming to Sony & Microsoft platforms (and PC).

The Lead Designer tackled serious subjects in his chat with Gamespot, but after a long Expo, we welcome the levity of his short Q&A with A.V. Club!

Edwards played favorites for the light-hearted questioning, giving Kitana fans something to talk about -- even if the Edenian Princess doesn't find her way back to life in the new game. Whether it's a special one-button feature, or a high priced life-size statue, he's putting all his chips on blue!

The A.V. Club: If you had the power to add an extra button to the controller that served a single function specific to your game, what would it do?
I think what I’d do is—Kitana’s my favorite character, so I’d have a “summon Kitana” button for any character I’m playing. Anytime I hit the button, Kitana comes in and decapitates the guy immediately. I win. Everything’s good.

On a more serious and interesting track: the MKX Lead Designer talked up the "net positive" of games being released in early access. On the benefits of getting the game in players' hands, he notes: "... It allows us to get early feedback, so we’re not designing something in a bubble."

Top ranking tournament players have already been a part of NetherRealm Studios' Mortal Kombat X development, continuing a strategy that helped maintain their Evo Championship status for a fourth consecutive year with Injustice: Gods Among Us [full story]. During an interview with fan-site TRMK; Creative Director Ed Boon noted the value of this high-level scrutiny, despite the relative minority of tournament fighting game players.

When it comes to solving glitches in the game -- beta testing isn't always necessary. A.V. Club asked Edwards about the "most fun" glitch to arise from the development cycle, learning fatalities were briefly available in-game in one of the easy problems to solve. We know there's a new "-ality" in the game [via Gamespot], but NetherRealm Producer Shaun Himmerick queried Mortal Kombat Online with this tantalizing doubt, "[W]ho said it was a finisher?" Could the glitch have inspired something new?

I think we had a glitch early where you could do a fatality in the middle of the match, so you don’t have to wait for the “Finish Him” to come up. So if you could pull that off, there was an immediate, “Okay, ‘Round 1, fight.’ Oh, you’re dead, immediately. Well, I guess we’re done. Round two. Oh, you’re dead immediately.”

Half Day? An early glitch had fatalities finishing matches early.

Do you like fun? Would you like some more? Read the full interview on AV Club! Check out Funny or Die's parody coverage of 17 new MKX features! Register to find and comment on all the serious matters in the Mortal Kombat X forum! E3 may be over, but coverage of the gaming extravaganza continues!

JAX007Posted: 06/15/2014 12:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::8581
Nationality::Canada
RE: E3 2014: Lead Designer John Edwards has fun with AV Club

Points for Kitana!

GoDisNotHereTODAYPosted: 06/15/2014 01:11 AMStatus ::

Visits::7462
Nationality::United States

Really hoping for Kitana. She is among one of my favorites.

wdm6789Posted: 06/15/2014 01:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::22

Does this mean anything?

RiyakouPosted: 06/15/2014 01:27 AMStatus ::

Visits::5625

wdm6789 Wrote:

Does this mean anything?

It means Kitana might make it into the game.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that, but I know a lot of people will love it, so I'm good.

wdm6789Posted: 06/15/2014 05:30 AMStatus ::

Visits::22

I guess it gives a sliver of hope for Kitana fans. She's one of my favorite characters, but I was content with her not being playable, if she were to not be playable.

Thracian_TsarPosted: 06/15/2014 07:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::2695
Nationality::South Tyrol

Kitana! Oh, yeah!

I have a joygasm just hearing/reading her hame.

RoyalChakraPosted: 06/15/2014 09:08 AMStatus ::

Visits::753

Ehh never really liked Kitana. But cool for her fans that she has a chance.

oraclePosted: 06/15/2014 01:02 PMStatus ::

Visits::9368

Kitana always had a decent chance of being in the game but I like that she's one of the designers favorites.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
diirecthitPosted: 06/15/2014 01:15 PMStatus ::

Visits::4645
Nationality::Mexico

oracle Wrote:
Kitana always had a decent chance of being in the game but I like that she's one of the designers favorites.

A lot of Ed Boon's favorites keep getting the cut in games, and surely he has more say than this designer. This means nothing.

oraclePosted: 06/15/2014 01:57 PMStatus ::

diirecthit Wrote:
A lot of Ed Boon's favorites keep getting the cut in games, and surely he has more say than this designer. This means nothing.
The way he tells it all of them are this favorites except for the MKDA-MKA cast minus Kenshi and scant few others. And of course it doesn't mean anything and I don't think I implied that it did with my comment. I just like that the lead game designer likes Kitana.

What even is Boon's title/job at NRS? Is he an idea man or...does anyone know like his official duties?

RiyakouPosted: 06/15/2014 02:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::5625

oracle Wrote:

What even is Boon's title/job at NRS? Is he an idea man or...does anyone know like his official duties?

He is the creative director for every game.

He initiates the main concept and governs the creative focus of the game, including both imagery and gameplay mechanics. Much like a film director, he takes any suggested and plausible ideas and transforms them to suit his vision.

In the gaming industry, the creative director is said to be the most vital role of any team.

oraclePosted: 06/15/2014 08:00 PMStatus ::

Riyakou Wrote:
He is the creative director for every game.
Okay, because I've heard creative director thrown around a bit but Boon never seems positive himself XD.

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.