Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • July 15th, 2018
    Ed Boon Avatar Change Sparks MK/DC Fan Speculation [Read On]
  • July 13th, 2018
    James Wan & Ed Boon Rebuff False Movie Reports [Read On]
  • July 13th, 2018
    MK Movie Writer Kills Raiden & Sonya Rumors [Read On]
  • July 12th, 2018
    Writer Greg Russo Responds to MK Movie Character Rumors [Read On]
  • July 10th, 2018
    Rumor Mill: Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot Stars New Character? [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Round 3: FIGHT!
Sub-Zero (53.6%)
Rain (46.3%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 06/28/2014 08:49 AMStatus ::
Speculation: Could a 2015 Movie Tie-In Provide MKXs Guest Fighter?

Nightmare on DLCThere are a select few certainties in this life. Rating highest among them are death, taxes and fighting game guest characters.

The success of Freddy Krueger [pictured top] and Scorpion have all but ensured NetherRealm Studios will always entertain the idea of a guest fighter in their games. Why wouldn't they? According to Creative Director Ed Boon -- both characters went on to be the highest selling downloadable content (DLC) for their respective games [Mortal Kombat & Injustice: Gods Among Us].

During his Gamespot Stage Demo appearance at this year's E3 -- Boon also made it known there would indeed be considerations for a new guest character in Mortal Kombat X. He ruled out a return for 2011 Sony exclusive Kratos (God of War) via Twitter. So. Who will it be?...

Mad As Hell: MKX newcomer Ferra/Torr opposite Mad Max newcomer Tom Hardy.

Kratos wasn't the only Sony guest on the shortlist. Twisted Metal mascot Sweet Tooth was another character considered for the in-the-box console exclusive. If Sony's E3 Press Conference was anything to go by - Warner Bros' preferential relationship with the PlayStation will remain in tact. A PS4 exclusive seems very realistic, but we're looking for a guest character who will effect everyone -- for better or worse.

Scorpion's crossover appearance in a NetherRealm DC fighter was a bit of a no brainer, but Freddy Krueger stretched the realms of expectation a little further. Arguments can be made both ways about how much of a bond exists between the martial arts extremity of Mortal Kombat and the horror movie gore of A Nightmare on Elm Street. What's inescapable is the fact that Freddy Krueger -- specifically the 2010 remake version featured in Mortal Kombat -- was distributed by Warner Brothers.

With the likelihood of the long rumoured Mortal Kombat movie evaporated -- and only a new series of Mortal Kombat: Legacy to cross-promote -- we've been wondering what other film franchise might make sense for guest DLC.

Only one movie was on everyone's lips upon the E3 reveal of new character(s) - Ferra/Torr. In fact - during Ed Boon's appearance on stage with IGN - they finally broached the apparent Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome comparison being made by fans online. The suggestion elicited a knowing, copyright compliant, wholly uninfringing chuckle from the Creative Director.

Road Warrior: Tom Hardy leaps into action in Mad Max: Fury Road. [via Entertainment Weekly]

Mad Max - for those who might not know it - is the title character and seminal 1979 Australian carpocalypse film that launched Mel Gibson to stardom. The international growth of the "Road Warrior" series in the 1980s made it a cult hit with fans of dystopic sci-fi. This landmark following has warranted a long coming 2015 reboot with original director George Miller, in Mad Max: Fury Road. The film is currently scheduled to be distributed theatrically in May by - you guessed it - Warner Brothers.

MasterBlaster in Mad Max 3: Beyond ThunderdomeWith Mortal Kombat X projecting the story up to twenty-five years into the future -- you've got to think dystopian herocop "Mad" Max Rockatansky would make about as much sense as guest characters ever do. He certainly fits in with the "MasterBlaster" [pictured right] inspired tandem of Ferra/Torr -- and would look at home in the Barter Town-esque Outworld Marketplace we saw in E3 gameplay demos [and screenshots].

A May 2015 theatrical release puts the movie right around expected dates for a home console release of Mortal Kombat X. The film also stars Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult & Zoe Kravitz.

Of course, Freddy Krueger didn't make his MK DLC debut until a year after that film was released. He wasn't the only cross-media tie-in we've seen in DLC, however. While they weren't guest characters, per se, Injustice: Gods Among Us did welcome character skins based on the Man of Steel theatrical release: Superman & General Zod. The likeness and voice of Stephen Amell were also employed for TV-inspired Green Arrow DLC.

If "X" can mean "Next" can it also equal "Max"? How deep do the Mad Max references run? Register to tell us your thoughts on the Mortal Kombat X forum!

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 06/28/2014 08:57 AMStatus ::

Visits::19712
Nationality::United States
RE: Speculation: Could a 2015 Movie Tie-In Provide MKXs Guest Fighter?

I do hope we get console exclusive guests again. And there's no better choice for PS than Sweet Tooth. His dark, twisted nature is a perfect for for MK.

Xbox can get someone from Killer Instinct. Probably Jago or Fulgore. Those two would be pretty good choices.

As for the other guest, I just want to be surprised.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
ReptzMKPosted: 06/28/2014 09:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::34

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
I do hope we get console exclusive guests again. And there's no better choice for PS than Sweet Tooth. His dark, twisted nature is a perfect for for MK.

Xbox can get someone from Killer Instinct. Probably Jago or Fulgore. Those two would be pretty good choices.

As for the other guest, I just want to be surprised.

Agreed. Sweet Tooth would fit right in with the MK cast. The fatality possibilities are endless, and he's one hell of a twisted (pun intended) fucker.

nightbreed_16Posted: 06/28/2014 09:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::259

Maybe it is Mad Max as the guest character.

I will rock you.
ultimatesavagePosted: 06/28/2014 09:24 AMStatus ::

Visits::157
Nationality::England

Mad Max in Mortal Kombat?
...No.

Photobucket
FourArmsNoMercyPosted: 06/28/2014 09:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::16
Nationality::Brazil

It'd be great if Nemesis from RE3 was the guest character!

Tazer_GunshotPosted: 06/28/2014 09:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::572
Nationality::Canada

1) Sweet Tooth and Eugene

2) Eugene and female guest

3) Female guest and Sweet Tooth

TheNinjasRock071394Posted: 06/28/2014 09:59 AMStatus ::

Visits::8685

Sweet Tooth would be the best choice for a guest character.

DG1OAPosted: 06/28/2014 10:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::5405

I certainly hope Tom Hardy's Max won't be (one of) the guest(s), as he looks really bland in those pictures. However I wouldn't mind an alt for Ferra and Torr where they are dressed similarly and respectively to the similar pair from the third MM movie.

I agree about Sweet Tooth though. They should have chosen him over Kratos in the previous game. But if they're going with a Twisted Metal character, DollFace could also work. In fact, I think a female guest would be nice, because they seem more rare.

For X-Bone exclusives, Joanna Dark, or Conker, or a Killer Instinct character other than Jago (and Shadow Jago).

ReptzMKPosted: 06/28/2014 10:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::34

Well, for the Nitara fans, XB could put Sadira in from KI.

MangoPosted: 06/28/2014 10:27 AMStatus ::

Visits::2123
Nationality::Australia

They might not be able to gain the rights to actors likeness but George Martin is a total nerd so anything is possible.

I want Ser Gregor Clegane, the Mountain, from A Song Of Fire and Ice. Head crush fatality.

HattorisPosted: 06/28/2014 11:09 AMStatus ::

Visits::1918

Well, there's also supposed to be that new Mad Max video game, so...

Noob7SmokePosted: 06/28/2014 11:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::1650
Nationality::Mexico

TheNinjasRock071394 Wrote:
Sweet Tooth would be the best choice for a guest character.

off topic but i thought sweet tooth was the truck and needles/marcus kane was the person.

big thanks to flameshang for the sig.
DistraughtOverlordPosted: 06/28/2014 12:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::137
Nationality::Canada

Not a fan of guests characters but if they at least make them DLC i think Mad Max would make sense. And could be cool.

Photobucket
Spider-2099Posted: 06/28/2014 01:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::1862

If they still want a horror-themed guest character, I thought Predator would have a been an excellent choice. It should be obvious why; the Predators are hunters, warriors...hardcore warriors at that. They have a wide array of weapons as well (claws, spears, plasma-caster, metal nets, etc.) that could make for some beast special moves. And imagine the fatalities...they would leave the opponent's flayed corpse strung up...

SwingBattaPosted: 06/28/2014 01:29 PMStatus ::

Visits::1720

Sheesh. How about none at all? We survived ALL the other MK games (save for 9) without this BS.

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 06/28/2014 02:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::19712

SwingBatta Wrote:
Sheesh. How about none at all? We survived ALL the other MK games (save for 9) without this BS.

What's wrong with guests?

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
OptimusGrimePosted: 06/28/2014 02:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::1397

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

Some people feel that they don't "fit". I don't get it personally, generally I'm in favor of anything that makes the world of the series bigger and crazier.

RedSumacPosted: 06/28/2014 02:34 PMStatus ::

Visits::2302
Nationality::Russia

I think guests take resources that could've been used for regular MK characters.

And I am not sure what the point of specualtion articles about MKX. I think MKO should be better than random blogs, which make BIG news out of everything.

DetoxPosted: 06/28/2014 02:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::4278

He did laugh uncomfortably when Mad Max was mentioned. He could play like Lobo from Injustice.

Either he or Ash would be awesome as main guests. Sweet Tooth is the only logical choice if console exclusives are a thing.

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
~NovaPosted: 06/28/2014 03:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::62

Guest characters to me act as just a fun added bonus to the game. I can see why some might not be into it, but I'm all for it.

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of a war drum Photobucket
[Killswitch]Posted: 06/28/2014 03:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::19266

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
SwingBatta Wrote:

Nobody likes fun.

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong
StrykerKombatPosted: 06/28/2014 05:34 PMStatus ::

Visits::22

~Nova Wrote:
Guest characters to me act as just a fun added bonus to the game. I can see why some might not be into it, but I'm all for it.

same here, also Freddy Krueger added such a unique experience, I'll never forget the blast I had playing as him in an MK game! I can't think of any other character that will top the shock factor of his announcement, good memories

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
daryuiPosted: 06/28/2014 06:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::6111

The guest better not be on disc again.

WeaponTheoryPosted: 06/28/2014 07:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::533

While the observation does shine a new light, but I doubt they will throw two Mad Max resemblance characters in the game.
I see it though as the new movie is the reason why Verra/Torr is in MKX (not at all implying that Master Blaster is in the new movie).
And nothing else.
In short, THIS should had been the topic for Verra/Torr NOT
"omg is it possible Mad Max is in the gaem11?1!"

daryui Wrote:
The guest better not be on disc again.

You had options.
Get the standard version or the Komplete edition.

For future references, you might want to get the standard version of Mortal Kombat X this time. Because it will happen again.

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot
Page of 2

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.