Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • September 16th, 2018
    MKO Live Stream to Feature Author of NBA Jam: The Book [Read On]
  • August 6th, 2018
    MKO's Interviews with the Film Cast: Coming Thursday [Read On]
  • July 29th, 2018
    MK Online Stream to Host Movie Star Q&A Friday [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    Kombat Kon Date Announced: October 27, 2018 [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    SDCC: Paris Jackson Cosplays Sonya at Comic-Con [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (54.0%)
Out of kredits. (45.9%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 14

Mick-LuciferPosted: 08/13/2014 10:05 AMStatus ::
Gamescom: IGN Ed Boon Interview - Console Exclusives, Story Details

Ed Boon and the team from NetherRealm are in Cologne, Germany to show-off Mortal Kombat X at what is shaping up to be a memorable trade fair! IGN have spoken to Boon about the 2015 fighter in one of the first interviews to come out of 2014's Gamescom and they've uncovered a couple of interesting details!

While no details have come from Gamescom just yet - we've again been teased with the introduction of a new "-Ality" that will be revealed sometime in the near future. That's just the tip of an iceberg that gave us new story and character beats, as well as a bombshell about expected crossovers. Read on:

Update: Ed Boon discusses story and return of -Ality in video excerpt.

The already confirmed inclusion of guest characters has been a source for much speculation. Adding specifics; IGN report Mortal Kombat will play host to one or more console exclusive fighter(s) in the 2015 game. This will be in the vein of last generation's Mortal Kombat (2011) PlayStation 3 exclusive: Kratos. The eponymous God of War has already been ruled out of a return, but an apparent continued relationship between Sony & Warner Bros. appears to favor another exclusivity agreement. Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal) remains a popular choice among fans, previously considered by the developers.

Less concrete is the returning likelihood of klassic kombatants: Johnny Cage & Sonya Blade. Not yet ruled out by the addition of their offspring (Cassie Cage) -- Boon is talking up the intrigue of potential interaction between generations. He stops short of acknowledging their inclusion in the main playable roster, with story mode flashbacks allowing for reduced roles based on the continuation of the 2011 reboot story. The parents-to-be were name checked in this month's GamePro Germany cover story, as well.

[Related Article: Kountdown: 10 Returning Kombatants Ready to Kontinue!]

The 25 year timespan of Mortal Kombat X was revealed with the E3 unveiling of new characters [read more]. Its shuffled narrative is what will afford MKX the overlapping presence of klassic fighters and their daughter(s), too. Don't expect all the old favourites to be back, though. "... A lot of old faces won't make the roster, but to us it was more important we did introduce new characters. We're probably introducing more in this game than in any other MK title ever."

The Creative Director again called upon the lauded 2011 story mode to inform what's in store for MKX and its character-centric chapters: "You still play the different chapters and each chapter has a character where it follows their actions, but instead of just jumping from one character to the next, it'll jump in time as well. So all of a sudden, you may have a flashback and you'll participate in those, but sometimes the story will just move forward five or ten years." Details of the story have been scarce, but Boon let a little bit more slip:

"[D'vorah] works with [Kotal Kahn], but there's twists there.
I won't give away the story, but a lot of these characters come in and out of power over the course of the story."

We learned in a recent trailer that newcomer Kotal Kahn will rise to power as the new Emperor of Outworld. Boon tells IGN, "A lot of the new characters are those that came into power after MK9. Kotal Khan is one of them. He was one of the rulers of Outworld during that 25 year period, and the story mode basically follows his rise and fall." Among those characters who've come into power is D'Vorah: "Swarm Queen" who has an as yet unknown relationship with Kotal Kahn.

This influx of new characters is a driving force for Mortal Kombat X and a direct response to Mortal Kombat (2011) and its familiar references: "The last game we did in 2011 was a complete fan service title, so we really felt it was time to add a lot of new characters to the mix."

The leap forward may provide progress for a veteran franchise itself over 20 years old, but the series co-creator notes future challenges such an ambitious shift presents: "We wanted to do something bold, and this is a bold new story, despite the fact it's the tenth game. But when you jump ahead 25 years it's like... what do you do now? Do you jump in time again? Do you go back 25 years? Do you introduce a whole new cast? We'll worry about it when we reach it, but I do think it could be hard to continue, if we do another one."

Get the full interview experience by visiting IGN for more detail.

Klassic fighter Kano is newly playable at Gamescom.

Coinciding with Gamescom is the full reveal of Black Dragon bad guy: Kano! Hear Ed Boon explain Kano's fighting techniques in the narrated reveal trailer! Then scrutinize the returning original's new design in an official render and new high quality screenshots! Find & discuss all major stories on the Mortal Kombat X forum.

SlickRick82Posted: 08/13/2014 07:12 AMStatus ::

Visits::2584
Nationality::England
New Boon interview on IGN (spoilers)

Hi, just came across an interview with Ed on IGN. Some new info in there and a nice read.

Enjoy!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/13/gamescom-2014-ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-x-story-mode-characters-and-guests

Sorry don't know how to make clicky.

Bladdy lovely Sig by Minion. PSN -rlg24 LIVE -WestcountryBlud
Dragon Points:
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 08/13/2014 07:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::19712
Nationality::United States
RE: New Boon interview on IGN (spoilers)

Here it is

Biggest information reveal for me was Console Exclusive Guests are returning.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
SlickRick82Posted: 08/13/2014 07:20 AMStatus ::

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
Here it is

Yep, we also get semi confirmation that Johnny and Sonya are there, Kotal and D'Vorah are connected and a new Ality will be announced soon!

Pumped yo!

Thracian_TsarPosted: 08/13/2014 07:20 AMStatus ::

Visits::2730
Nationality::South Tyrol

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

Hopefully, no guests for the PC version, which I'm getting.

smokeman14Posted: 08/13/2014 07:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::6406

SlickRick82 Wrote: new Ality will be announced soon!

A brand new one?

Well color me interested

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 08/13/2014 07:29 AMStatus ::

SlickRick82 Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
Here it is

Yep, we also get semi confirmation that Johnny and Sonya are there, Kotal and D'Vorah are connected and a new Ality will be announced soon!

Pumped yo!

Also that the Chapter format is returning and that not only will you change characters but time frame as well. Also it seems to follow Kotal's rise and fall.

DVorahPosted: 08/13/2014 08:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::628
Nationality::Netherlands

Many old favorites won't make it eh.

Bye Mileena, Reptile, Sektor, Rain and Baraka.

This game will be a fan-service for Sonya and Cage fans it seems.

projectzero00Posted: 08/13/2014 08:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::2720
Nationality::Greece

"You still play the different chapters and each chapter has a character where it follows their actions, but instead of just jumping from one character to the next, it'll jump in time as well. So all of a sudden, you may have a flashback and you'll participate in those."

So character chapters again huh? Hoping that we'll get to play with everyone this time with the whole time jump thing.

Thunderstruck_EarthrealmerPosted: 08/13/2014 08:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::40
Nationality::India

Kotal and D'Vorah are connected? That's interesting ...

I'm seriously excited about the story potential with flashbacks. If Shinnok's amulet is important to the story, then maybe, just maybe one of the flashback scenes could be an MKMSZ boss fight. (It'll be a good way to introduce Fujin in my opinion.)

"History is written in blood, not speeches." - Kotal Kahn

Avatar: MKX Concept Art by Marco Nelor.

RedSumacPosted: 08/13/2014 08:45 AMStatus ::

Visits::2302
Nationality::Russia

DVorah Wrote:
Bye Reptile and Baraka.

And nothing of value was lost.

As much as they are legendary classic characters in their own right, they are not really ones who can be important for the future stories. Unless drastical changes would be introduced. Both are minor servants at best.

And I don't see problems with having Cage and Sonya as main characters of the story. They never have been before, so what so bad about it?
In the last few years, MK story was about anything, but people from Earth (Shujinko was not very succesful experiment). I personally glad, that for ones, plot of the MK game will be about Earthrealmers and not "assigned protagonists" or gods or whoever. If it indeed the case here.

projectzero00Posted: 08/13/2014 08:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::2720
Nationality::Greece

RedSumac Wrote:
I personally glad, that for ones, plot of the MK game will be about Earthrealmers and not "assigned protagonists" or gods or whoever. If it indeed the case here.

I don't think the whole game will be about them. Maybe a large portion of storymode but Boon did mention that it will also be about certain people coming in and out of power during those 25 years.
So what we do know for sure is that Kotal rose and fell out of power during that period and the same could have happened to several other characters. For example Sonya and Johnny could be central parts of the story until Cassie is born and then the focus shifts again.

ReptzMKPosted: 08/13/2014 08:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::34

DVorah Wrote:
Many old favorites won't make it eh.

Bye Mileena, Reptile, Sektor, Rain and Baraka.

This game will be a fan-service for Sonya and Cage fans it seems.

While I would be disappointed a if Reptile didn't make the cut, it wouldn't be such a bad thing. I have faith in NRS and their ability to tell a compelling story.

Besides, there'll be at least 12 returning faces, and a whole host of new blood to try out in MKX.

I'm sure we'll all find a character that we like, even if they aren't our typical fave/main. Hell, it is a new generation of MK afterall...maybe it's time to find a few new faves in general.

Thracian_TsarPosted: 08/13/2014 09:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::2730
Nationality::South Tyrol

ReptzMK Wrote:...if Reptile didn't make the cut...

I have an inkling he'll be back.

ShaolinChuanPosted: 08/13/2014 09:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::14903

I wonder if they'll leave Xbox out again on console exclusives, since WB seems to be up Sony's ass all the time. If we get someone, I hope it's someone from Killer Instinct.... Fulgore would fit perfectly.

RedSumacPosted: 08/13/2014 09:15 AMStatus ::

Visits::2302
Nationality::Russia

ShaolinChuan Wrote:
I wonder if they'll leave Xbox out again on console exclusives, since WB seems to be up Sony's ass all the time. If we get someone, I hope it's someone from Killer Instinct.... Fulgore would fit perfectly.

Lara Croft, to market exclusivity of new Tomb Raider?

j/k

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 08/13/2014 09:15 AMStatus ::

ShaolinChuan Wrote:

Doubtful because he was hitting up Ken Lobb on twitter at E3. A KI character is guaranteed for the Xbox version.

Hopefully PS gets Sweet Tooth.

ReptzMKPosted: 08/13/2014 09:20 AMStatus ::

Visits::34

Thracian_Tsar Wrote:

Maybe.

Just sayin', even if he doesn't, no big deal (for me at least). I'd love to see him return, but I'm honestly more hyped about the new characters being introduced.

It's about time MK moved forward, and I can't wait to see a new generation of characters and learn their stories. I literally have no preconceived notion of how these characters should look, play, ect...and that's both liberating and exciting imo.

thisiscouragePosted: 08/13/2014 09:34 AMStatus ::

Visits::1474

ReptzMK Wrote:
Thracian_Tsar Wrote:

Maybe.

Just sayin', even if he doesn't, no big deal (for me at least). I'd love to see him return, but I'm honestly more hyped about the new characters being introduced.

It's about time MK moved forward, and I can't wait to see a new generation of characters and learn their stories. I literally have no preconceived notion of how these characters should look, play, ect...and that's both liberating and exciting imo.

It would be tough to swallow. But yeah.. I am excited enough for the new generation, I have that giddy feeling when theres something new to explore. And the fact that it is one of my favorite franchises makes it all the more welcoming.

Hell, the 8 revealed characters look good enough for me to buy the game on them alone.

OnagaPosted: 08/13/2014 09:35 AMStatus ::

Visits::8736
Nationality::Canada

RedSumac Wrote:
DVorah Wrote:
Bye Reptile and Baraka.

And nothing of value was lost.

As much as they are legendary classic characters in their own right, they are not really ones who can be important for the future stories. Unless drastical changes would be introduced. Both are minor servants at best.

Yes because when it comes to fighting games it's the narrative that matters most over the characters or gameplay itself...

CharybdisPosted: 08/13/2014 09:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::1128
Nationality::United Kingdom

The foreboding about games after this put a chill up my spine

"Pray for the Kahn's Mercy"
SlickRick82Posted: 08/13/2014 09:41 AMStatus ::

Charybdis Wrote:

Yeah that got me a little shaky as well.

xysionPosted: 08/13/2014 10:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::260
Nationality::Italy

Charybdis Wrote:

I think what Ed Boon was trying to say about that was "we will cross that bridge once we get there". At the moment I think NRS are going all out to make MKX the best Mortal Kombat in the franchise.

Lazio? La prima squadra della Capitale.
creed200569Posted: 08/13/2014 10:15 AMStatus ::

Visits::1224

Im pretty pissed that they are doing exclusive guest kharacters for each console when they could be using their time and resources for more older kharacters that are not gonna make the cut. If you're gonna make guest kharacters, then they should be available for all consoles,period.

Also,Im glad they are not worried about the next MK and making this one the best possible n they should continue to support this game for awhile with DLC adding more fighters,finishers and stages

blackcyborgPosted: 08/13/2014 10:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::18499

creed200569 Wrote:
Im pretty pissed that they are doing exclusive guest kharacters for each console when they could be using their time and resources for more older kharacters that are not gonna make the cut. If you're gonna make guest kharacters, then they should be available for all consoles,period.

Also,Im glad they are not worried about the next MK and making this one the best possible n they should continue to support this game for awhile with DLC adding more fighters,finishers and stages

Guest characters bring in attention from other fans/gamers. It's about marketing and sales. There's always DLC for more classic characters. I want this game to be as successful as possible. If Kratos brought in more attention, and Freddy was the highest selling DLC character(as was Scorpion in Injustice), I'm completely cool with a guest character.

Page of 14

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.