MK9 Character Use & Does It Effect MKX Roster
posted01/19/2015 01:58 PM (UTC)by
Borshay
Do you think the popularity of some characters in MK9 will effect who shows up in MKX?

Using the stats from themortalkombat.com here is the order of character use across all modes:
PS3 is the default list with 360 in parentheses

1) Scorpion
2) Sub-Zero (Liu Kang)
3) Raiden (Sub-Zero)
4) Liu Kang (Raiden)
5) Johnny Cage
6) Cyrax (Smoke)
7) Smoke (Cyrax)
8) Kitana (Sonya)
9) Kung Lao
10) Noob-Saibot (Kitana)

11) Sonya Blade (Noob-Saibot)
12) Jax
13) Ermac (Baraka)
14) Baraka (Ermac)
15) Reptile
16) Jade (Nightwolf)
17) Kratos (not on 360)
18) Nightwolf (Kabal)
19) Kabal (Jade)
20) Stryker (Cyber Sub-Zero)

21) Cyber Sub-Zero (Stryker)
22) Sektor
23) Mileena (Kano)
24) Kano (Mileena)
25) Shang Tsung
26) Quan Chi
27) Sindel
28) Sheeva (Krueger)
29) Freddy Krueger (Sheeva)
30) Kenshi
31) Skarlet

For some reason Rain doesn't appear on the list.
I was surprised to see how popular Liu Kang was honestly.
FerraTorr
About Me

Props to MINION for making this sig.

01/19/2015 12:10 AM (UTC)
Looking at this list I would say the fact that Quan Chi is in the game kind of dispels the notion that character popularity in MK9 really played any role in who they chose to bring back for MKX.
Blade4693
01/19/2015 12:16 AM (UTC)
I really don't think so. We have Kano and Quan Chi, and according to this list, they were on the list as some of the least played in MK9. So no I don't think the amount characters were played online in MK9 is how NRS is choosing who is and is not in MKX.
diirecthit
01/19/2015 12:28 AM (UTC)
Borshay Wrote:
For some reason Rain doesn't appear on the list.
I was surprised to see how popular Liu Kang was honestly.

Why? The ninja fanboys and a lot of MK fans give him too much shit, but he is EXTREMELY popular among casuals.

And no, with Kano and Quan Chi in the game clearly character popularity in MK9 doesn't matter, however, it served as a confirmation to NRS that nobody cares for Sheeva, Rain, Stryker, etc.
Borshay
01/19/2015 12:36 AM (UTC)
Dunno why Rain isnt up there.
I could see Kung Lao and Kitanas popularity helping them get into MKX. I think if we see Cyrax or Smoke that will really say that recent popularity has some effect.
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

01/19/2015 12:55 AM (UTC)
Biased.
QueenAhnka
About Me

Rebel. Outsider. Fan Of The Obscure. Politically Incorrect. Spitfire!

01/19/2015 12:58 AM (UTC)
Blade4693 Wrote:
I really don't think so. We have Kano and Quan Chi, and according to this list, they were on the list as some of the least played in MK9. So no I don't think the amount characters were played online in MK9 is how NRS is choosing who is and is not in MKX.

Yeah, but let's not forget that NRS loves Quan Chi. He may have been one of the least played but he's a favorite of theirs, so I can see an exception being made, especially when you add on his importance in the MK story.

Kano, well you've got me on that one. But them choosing who's in based on who were the "most played" is fine with me, I mean MK is a fighting GAME first and for most, not a novel.
mentalbreakdown
01/19/2015 01:55 AM (UTC)
I think Kung Lao's and Kitana's addition to the game supports the theory that NRS is adding some characters who did well in tourneys into the game.

Or both of those could have been added for the story. But you can't deny that those two were picked a lot for tournaments.
Denizen
About Me

01/19/2015 05:52 AM (UTC)
Quan Chi is not a good argument against the notion a character's inclusion is based o popularity. Unarguably, he was a must for this game. They heavily altered the original MK storyline just to accommodate him and use MK9 as a set-up for this game.

On the other hand: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kitana and Kung Lao, they were all included mainly for popularity reasons.
OhYesMar$h
About Me

"You will serve me in the Netherrealm!" - Quan Chi.

01/19/2015 10:26 AM (UTC)
NRS realize Quan Chi's undeniable power, is not up for discussion or to be questioned by 12 year old fanboys that like diferent color ninjas. It's rather a simple matter of how fast Quan can be put in MKX.
oracle
About Me

-sig by MINION

01/19/2015 01:23 PM (UTC)
Quan Chi is a no brainer. He's been the primary villain for a decade now. NRA just really love him. I think Kano too, I was surprised she he showed up on MKvsDCU as opposed to Reptile or Mileena so I guess he's someone's favorite.
Spider804
01/19/2015 01:58 PM (UTC)
He'd have to be, even taking MKA into account, Kano's only missed MK 2, 4, and Deception. That doesn't happen unless someone high up loves ya
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.