Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 5 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • December 14th, 2018
    Best Buy Remove Liu Kang & Sub-Zero From MK11 Listing [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Record Speedrunner Beats MK3 In Under 5 Minutes [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Todd McFarlane Thinks Spawn Will Be in Mortal Kombat 11 [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Cinemassacre Ponders Shouting Mortal Kombat Kid [Read On]
  • December 12th, 2018
    James Wan Comments On MK Movie Delays [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

MK11 Trailer MVP?
Raiden (30.1%)
Scorpion (17.2%)
Shao Kahn (23.6%)
Mystery Character (29.0%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 01/26/2015 06:22 AMStatus ::
Review: Mortal Kombat X #1 Chapter 3

Mortal Kombat X #1 concludes with digital Chapter 3! The following review will contain spoilers! Readers should proceed to DC Entertainment to purchase and read before continuing, or suffer the accursed consequences!

Chapter 3 concludes the Scorpion's Apprentice digital 2-parter: crux plot of print editions, which explores the eponymous iconic ninja some significant time after the rewritten timeline of Mortal Kombat (2011).

It was easy to praise the clarity of Chapter 2 in isolation. It gave a strong, straight forward narrative thrust that seemed to be compelling, and informative world building. After Chapter 3, it's less apparent that's the case, as the story concludes with an element of inside-out storytelling.

The sudden escalation of Fox's role in the previous chapter plays out with conclusive results. The price of that is the impression that he and Takeda are on equal footing, destined for playable game appearances - now much less so. Instead, Fox gives the impression of a utility character, built for one finite purpose. This wouldn't be quite so problematic if it was a purpose we hadn't seen many, many times, to restore the status quo temporarily and abruptly created for the previous chapter(s). The name of the game is firing up Scorpion -- literally, as his ninja spectre nature.

The inclusion of a poison-induced hallucination is a glimmer of hope for uninformed readers. As we know, the rivalry between Scorpion and Sub-Zero is one of the best known plots from the original games. The details of the life and death struggle aren't quite here, but the pathos and tragedy is. For all his in-game rage - Scorpion has always been a tragic figure, playing out a tortured existence. It's nice to see some of that captured, however brief.

We still don't know Fox's demonic possessor, but his objective is clearly to provoke the Scorpion and generally be evil. He tries his hand at a little temptation - trying to corrupt Takeda. When that fails, there's fighting, and the familiar vomit of Scorpion's Toasty breath. That seems to help the faceless Fox - "With every drop of blood, I grow more powerful." He doesn't seem to fare too well when Takeda slices him in two, mid-healing -- but with all that blood spilling, who can say?

If it is the end of Fox - it seems a shame. The struggle for tie-in comics is always finding ways to matter to a franchise they don't hold sway over. It seems as if Mortal Kombat X has been sold on the strength of its ability to tie directly into the world of games - facilitated by the larger passage of time between Mortal Kombat (2011) and April's Mortal Kombat X. One wonders just how much they can really contribute, though.

It would be wrong to dismiss the episode told in chapters 2 & 3. There's value in depicting the characters and their story in this fashion. The problem will be the impression of it all being for naught. Scorpion has been the angry ninja pursuing revenge for his family and clan's deaths for a very long time. This in itself has never been a terrible thing, but it's unusual to create an impression of progress, only to tell the story of returning to where we began. Hardcore MK fans will be divided over whether or not this is satisfying in a print issue context.

The larger curse of the Kamidogu is sustaining a B-plot expected to advance over the coming issues, if not the game itself. Raiden continues to move among the shadows, returning to The Sky Temple where we get an appreciated cameo by fellow god: Fujin. Unfortunately, the final epilogue of Chapter 3 does what so much of this issue has, talking around the event we're in. It does it for a quick tease of future storylines -- a technique that's been popularly used in DC Comics for the past five or so years, perhaps best associated with Geoff Johns.

The preview forecasts a lot of familiar things - including a cage match between Cassie Cage & Frost that was alluded to in February solicitations. An appearance by a particularly amorous Reiko & Mileena proves to be one of the most in-touch sequences. Something to watch out for! In the mean time, Scorpion & Takeda are off to see the wizard. A commercial cliff hanger for a brisk read.

Mortal Kombat X is now on sale! Visit DC Entertainment to pick up all the digital chapters for 99c each! Bookmark the MKO Comics Directory for more previews, reviews and purchase links. Register to share your review via the Media & Merchandise forum!

Demon_0Posted: 01/18/2015 02:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::4677
Nationality::Afghanistan
Issue #1 Chapter 3 Discussion (Spoilers)

Major spoilers below

- Fox has used some sort of poison on Hanzo to give him memories from the past. He wants him to become Scorpion and rage on.

- He wants Takeda to kill Scorpion, instead Takeda attacks Fox and in the meanwhile Hanzo awakes as Scorpion and burns the shit out of Fox, inserting the Kamidogu dagger in his heart which gives fox even more power. Fox tells Scorpion that Raiden never informed him about the dagger's true purpose and its connection to Quan Chi and is then split in half by Takeda.

- Hanzo manages to keep his rage under control. He chooses to rebuild his clan elsewhere and moves away from the himalayas with Takeda but decides to find Raiden first and hold him responsible for what happened to his clan

- Meanwhile, we see Raiden and Fujin at Raiden's Sky Temple, Raiden wants to use the Kamidogu of Order to make it easier to find this demon while Fujin warns him of its use. Raiden cuts himself and sees visions of several events happening and realizes it is too late.. his words; "We are too late... it has begun!"

So much for Fox being playable... Also, glad that Hanzo managed to restrain himself

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
Dragon Points:
Thracian_TsarPosted: 01/18/2015 02:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::2810
Nationality::South Tyrol
RE: Issue #1 Chapter 3 Discussion

Chapter 3 kind of explains Quan Chi's fatality. The sorcerer is obsessed with daggers,

quandaggers

jpetrunakPosted: 01/18/2015 02:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::3472
Nationality::United States

If the topic is Chapter 3 discussion, then why put up spoiler boxes ?

-
mentalbreakdownPosted: 01/18/2015 03:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::330

Glad to see some more character appearances. I can totally see Scorpion being the father figure to Takeda now

Demon_0Posted: 01/18/2015 03:07 PMStatus ::

jpetrunak Wrote:

Because there are people who haven't read it yet since the digital version was released today

jpetrunakPosted: 01/18/2015 03:35 PMStatus ::

Demon_0 Wrote:
jpetrunak Wrote:

Because there are people who haven't read it yet since the digital version was released today

Right .... So if they haven't read it yet, why would they click on a topic discussing it ?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying that it's a little redundant to have to make a topic where virtually everything is hidden away in spoiler boxes.

People should understand that if the topic is a discussion on said issue, obviously that discussion is going to entail details about said issue, thus spoiling the issue if they haven't yet read it.

Again , I understand your trying to be courteous, but it's redundant. I primarily browse these forums on my iPad, and highlighting spoiler boxes in safari don't show the text, so it's annoying for me.

Anyway , carry on, just saying people should expect spoilers givin the topic.

-
jpetrunakPosted: 01/18/2015 03:38 PMStatus ::

back on topic ... So will we see more of Forrest Fox ? The scene with the dagger showed him regenerating, then the Takeda thing happened, so will he be back ?

-
PhrOzenPosted: 01/18/2015 03:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::3
Nationality::Canada

lol spoiler alert* ?

totally love the comic an thought fox was going to be introducing a new character ... with that being said theres the whole daggers true power bit....im wondering if Kotal Kahn has anything to do with this....with it being blood offerings and such...Loving the first issue tho. its about time we had some more Mortal Kombat to go off of !!

mentalbreakdownPosted: 01/18/2015 03:48 PMStatus ::

Visits::330

Fox obviously ain't dead forreals. He's definitely coming back. He's probably going to become the pawn/servant/underling of someone

SockiePosted: 01/18/2015 03:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::3146

jpetrunak Wrote:
back on topic ... So will we see more of Forrest Fox ? The scene with the dagger showed him regenerating, then the Takeda thing happened, so will he be back ?

The dagger was heavily implied to be what was giving him his healing factor, so no, probably not.

Windy_ThunderstormPosted: 01/18/2015 04:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::886

jpetrunak Wrote:

I hope so, I liked that guy. Although, demon possesed or not, im still wondering how he was able to slaughter the whole clan in their sleep. Did no one hear him screaming while he was cutting off own his face?

Also, Red Skull and Havik's love child lol.

I feel bad for Hanzo, but I really hope he verbally confronts Raiden before he goes all revenge roid rage on him. By default, when godly entity gives you something to watch over, entrusting it to you obviously because you are one of the few strong enough to watch over it, there are bound to be some baddies that come and cause trouble over it. What Hanzo got was a worst case scenario, is he seriously mad at Raiden when he came and warned him?

I was happy to see Fujin, but what price was he talking about? I wanna know! Next Sunday is too damn far! The cliff hanger they ended with was a dick move. Typical comic book. >_>

And ya know, for Ed Boon's favorite character, he sure does like to torture Scorpion. Lol

This beautiful sig was made by MINION.
jimmykricketPosted: 01/18/2015 04:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::755

please dont use spoiler boxes when this thread will clearly be
D I S C U S S I N G the comic.

Spoilers are a given, and folks should understand that when they click into the thread.

All this redundancy; I dont even feel like highlighting the original post

J A X + J A C Q U I
PSN: JimmyxKricket
JxK
IcebabyPosted: 01/18/2015 04:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::11648
RE: Issue #1 Chapter 3 Discussion (Spoilers)

As much as I appreciate these comics, I have to say this....

I really can't take Forrest Fox seriously with his face sliced off. I think it's hilarious. But I understand the whole premise and such, I just think they could have made this character look a bit... better.

jimmykricketPosted: 01/18/2015 05:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::755

Icebaby Wrote:
As much as I appreciate these comics, I have to say this....

I really can't take Forrest Fox seriously with his face sliced off. I think it's hilarious. But I understand the whole premise and such, I just think they could have made this character look a bit... better.

I cant either! I wanted him to be playable when he had a handsome face. Now, I'm just glad he's dead. Hopefully he stays dead.

J A X + J A C Q U I
PSN: JimmyxKricket
JxK
Blade4693Posted: 01/18/2015 05:10 PMStatus ::

Visits::3252

Yeah that's why I don't bother doing the spoiler thing in threads that are specifically created to discuss something in particular. If you don't wanna be spoiled chances are you are in the wrong thread lol

Anyway I enjoyed it. As for Scorpion going to see Raiden, I don't blame him, what happened is discussion worthy, especially since Raiden failed to mention the part about it having a connection to Quan-Chi, and it's actual power.

stinky_thc_cloudPosted: 01/19/2015 12:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::319

There are a lot of neat/ fun things in the comic but "Good Guy Scorpion" isn't one of them. I get some of you guys like it but I think it's corny as hell.

Darkhound74Posted: 01/19/2015 12:45 AMStatus ::

Visits::5391

stinky_thc_cloud Wrote:
There are a lot of neat/ fun things in the comic but "Good Guy Scorpion" isn't one of them. I get some of you guys like it but I think it's corny as hell.

I would take "Good Guy" Scorpion over "VENGEANCE" Scorpion any day.

Spider804Posted: 01/19/2015 08:13 AMStatus ::

Visits::6938

Darkhound74 Wrote:
stinky_thc_cloud Wrote:

I would take "Good Guy" Scorpion over "VENGEANCE" Scorpion any day.

Second, after 2 decades, it's refreshing to see a Scorpion with a functioning brain

OttoVonRuthlessPosted: 01/19/2015 08:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::2368

I just have to say that this comic so far has been excellent, keep up the good work Shawn Kittelsen

Demon_0Posted: 01/19/2015 09:28 AMStatus ::

Kittelsen has done an outstanding job so far. Really glad they brought him into the mix. I am wondering though what happens to Scorpion later on cause in the game he seems the same old vengeful Scorpion

ChromePosted: 01/19/2015 10:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::16005
Nationality::Hungary

Beardpion for me.Reading the whole Issue 1 altogether was nice.

Rebuilding. Very good, now Scorpion can actually achieve something.

Sig1 photo Chrome-sig_zps5a62b1b1.jpg
KenshiMaster16Posted: 01/19/2015 10:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::10351

As much as I liked the idea of Fox, seems to me (unless he somehow comes back) he was used just to escalate Takeda's bond with Scorpion and serve as an example of how powerful the Kamidogu are; in other words, just a plot device.

Kind of sad actually.

stinky_thc_cloudPosted: 01/19/2015 09:54 PMStatus ::

Giving Scorpion control is about as cheesy as giving Al Simmons his face back. He sold his soul, that's it donezo. I can accept him redeeming himself so his soul can return to his family but just coming back like nothing happened? Why not raise a clan of sympathetic orphan ninjas while were at it ... Oh wait.

I get death means nothing in MK but man oh man, at least make it mean something for the characters we were introduced to as dead. Why not have Bi-Han come back and admit the errors of his way and buddy up with his bro? Once again, this is just my opinion. I'm with you guys on the idea that there could be more to the character than just REVENGE! but this IMO isn't the best way to go about it.

stinky_thc_cloudPosted: 01/19/2015 09:56 PMStatus ::

I do think there's some neat ideas in the comics, I'm just not feeling Scorpion.

Page of 1

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.