Spider-man: Homecoming (2017 Sony/Marvel Joint Production)
posted08/07/2017 02:46 AM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!

- Sony Pictures Entertainment Brings Marvel Studios Into The Amazing World Of Spider-Man

(Culver City, California, and Burbank, California February 09, 2015) – Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man.

Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.

The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel's world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other Super Heroes in the MCU.

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: "Spider-Man is one of Marvel's great characters, beloved around the world. We're thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building."

"We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. "This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans."

"Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future," added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

"I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. "Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel's involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years."

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

Related Topics:
- Captain America: Civil War (2016 film sequel)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015 film sequel)
- The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014 film)
Torchia
02/10/2015 06:39 AM (UTC)
A-ha! Beat me to it.

This should be fantastic. Glad to see Spidey (kind of) coming home.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
02/10/2015 08:15 AM (UTC)
Should be particularly interesting to see where they go if they're recasting.
If it manages to tie-in to Civil War the way a lot of folks seem to want it to, does it benefit them to go back to an older Spider-man? If they do that, do they build off the broad understanding of who Spider-man is, or do they look for cinematic references as context? If Marvel want to integrate a pre-existing movie backstory (or something based on it) - do they consider courting Tobey Maguire back to the role?

The benefits of bringing Maguire back - Marvel puppet master Kevin Feige was involved in those films. They were a more successful time for Spider-man on screen. They represent the character well and arguably fit into the Marvel movie universe. They also give them a great cast of villains. Maguire would probably look right next to some of the other actors, some of whom he knows.

I wouldn't call it a likely outcome - but it's an interesting thought.
MacyG88
02/10/2015 11:12 AM (UTC)
As disappointed as I am about no more Andrew Garfield (terrific Spider-Man), this is definitely exciting stuff.

Now if only Fox would do the same for X-Men...
ScorpionEater12
About Me

As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team... I don't know what he's talking about.

02/10/2015 01:59 PM (UTC)
MacyG88 Wrote:
As disappointed as I am about no more Andrew Garfield (terrific Spider-Man), this is definitely exciting stuff.

Now if only Fox would do the same for X-Men...
raidenthefridge
About Me

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!

02/10/2015 02:27 PM (UTC)
Glad this has happened, feel bad for Garfield as he was never really the problem.

still, this is the best thing we could have hoped for.
RedSumac
02/10/2015 03:53 PM (UTC)
Third reboot of the franchise in 15 years. Hilarious.
Some people gonna be thouroughly confused.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/10/2015 08:00 PM (UTC)
- "Sinister Six" Reportedly Still in Development Post Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

The Wall Street Journal's article covering Monday night's major news that Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios have reached a deal to share live-action control of Spider-Man contained another significant tidbit: That the "Sinister Six" film, a planned Spidey franchise spinoff starring the character's major villains, is still in development, although delayed.

"Sinister Six" was originally planned for release on Nov. 11, 2016, and no new time frame has been specified. The movie's slated to be written and directed by Drew Goddard, who helmed the critically acclaimed 2012 horror-comedy "The Cabin in the Woods."

Additionally, WSJ cited a "person with knowledge of the matter" that the first Marvel Studios film to introduce the new big-screen Spider-Man will be 2016's "Captain America: Civil War." This has yet to be confirmed by Marvel...

A glimmer of hope for fans of Amazing Spidey 2's preemptive sequel teases.

- The Buzzkill Element of the Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal Everyone is Ignoring

If there’s any doubt that the character isn’t “coming home” so much as he’s being loaned out, re-read how the press release opens:

"Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man."

Sony is letting Marvel in on Spider-Man. Surreal.

If you read the story from a reliable source, or went to the source itself, you already know this. It's the reason I've put Sony before Marvel in the thread topic. It is, however, clearly something people are overlooking when throwing around phrases like 'Spidey's coming home', so it's worth isolating.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/10/2015 11:10 PM (UTC)
- Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel has long wanted to put Spider-Man in its movies, but since Sony Pictures controlled the rights to the character since 1999, the web-slinger has been off limits. Making a crossover could have been costly, since Disney would have been expected to shell out millions. But the actual deal turns out to much cheaper — more like free.

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio,” according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

There may be some opportunities for Marvel to benefit financially from the Sony films, with payments tied to certain box office milestones. The financial relationship is likened by sources to the kind of compensation structure a producer would receive.

The next step for Sony, of course, is to recast Spider-Man. The studio is looking to go back to Spidey’s roots and put the character back in high school, which would require it to cast a younger actor, Variety has learned. Andrew Garfield is no longer playing the character.

The studio is still moving forward with the Spider-Man villain-centric “Sinister Six,” and “Venom” spinoff, as well as a film that features female characters in the “Spider-Man” universe. “The Amazing Spider-Man 3′′ has been cancelled. While Marvel’s Feige is involved with Sony’s new “Spider-Man” films, he currently is not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs, sources say.

Younger Spidey seems like the obvious decision Hollywood would make right now. Which is why I would probably hope they wouldn't. That, and who really wants to suffer through another round of high school Spidey? Heaven forbid another origin is attached! It's a shame, too, because Garfield was, for all intents and purposes, pretty good casting.

The business side of things is very interesting, too. Again - more reason not to necessarily regard the situation as the saving grace of Sony's Spidey.
MacyG88
02/10/2015 11:46 PM (UTC)
Younger Spidey is fine as long as they don't do another origin story.

Uncle Ben doesn't need to get shot for a third time.
KenshiMaster16
02/11/2015 06:10 PM (UTC)
About fucking time this happens. Never gonna happen with the X-Men but thank Christ its happening with Spidey.
OhYesMar$h
About Me

"You will serve me in the Netherrealm!" - Quan Chi.

02/11/2015 06:42 PM (UTC)
About time. I mean shit. Do it for the kids, and the fact Spiderman really was one of the Avengers in a version of them Marvel Comics.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/03/2015 04:04 AM (UTC)
- EXCLUSIVE: Marvel And Sony's 'Spider-Man' Writer and Director Revealed!!

So the thinking at the moment is that Sony will faze out all the Spidey Verse films they were developing. Yes even the Aunt May film (that was real!) and focus on a story involving Spidey versus the Sinister Six. At one point they were developing a film that was just going to be a spinoff called THE SINISTER SIX. That’s scrapped but the big news is that the director of that film, Drew Goddard, will write AND direct the Spectacular Spider Man movie.

Key things to look for in the new series

No new origin story, Spidey exists from the beginning, taken as a given

New actor, probably an unknown, he will be specifically based in High School and they want him to be able to grow up into the role. The thought being if this works, Spidey can do multiple trilogies for years ala Harry Potter.

A major part of the first film will involve Spider- Man fighting Iron Man and then trying to pass the “audition” to join the Avengers

The first film will involved the Sinister Six coming together with the thought to later maybe spin them off.

Sketchy, but plausible. Might as well enjoy the rumor for what it is.
UlcaTron
03/03/2015 07:40 AM (UTC)
^ That's what I'm saying. It is a nice sounding rumor and I can see it happening. I'm so excited now that Spider-Man will finally be able to exist in a bigger universe.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/23/2015 09:17 PM (UTC)
- Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios Find Their 'Spider-Man' Star and Director

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios are proud to announce that after a full worldwide casting search, Tom Holland will play Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the next Spider-Man film, in theaters in IMAX and 3D on July 28, 2017. The film will be directed by Jon Watts, director of "Cop Car," the upcoming thriller that made its debut earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival.

Marvel and Sony Pictures, and producers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal conducted an extensive search for both the actor and the director. The studios and producers were impressed by Holland’s performances in "The Impossible," “Wolf Hall,” and the upcoming "In the Heart of the Sea," and by a series of complex screen tests. Following Marvel’s tradition of working with the brightest next wave of directors, Watts also went through multiple meetings with Feige, Pascal, and the studio, before winning the job.

Commenting on the announcement, Tom Rothman, Sony Pictures Motion Pictures Group Chairman, said, “It’s a big day here at Sony. Kevin, Amy and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that’s why their results are so outstanding. I’m confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I’ve worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent. For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom’s screen tests were special. All in all, we are off to a roaring start.”

It's just such a shame Andrew Garfield is synonymous with the lesser movies. He's a good, modern take on the character and can play young or a little older, without having to be specific about it. I think Garfield would look right next to other actors in the Marvel stable. Holland is probably going to read very young for quite some time. I can't believe this kid is gonna be friends with Charlie Cox's Daredevil, or will ever be a foil for Vincent D'Onforio's Kingpin -- which is exactly what I want to believe in a Marvel produced Spider-man, whether it happens, or not.
MacyG88 Wrote:

Yeah, in how many years... ?

Ka-Tra
Coltess
06/28/2015 01:15 AM (UTC)
Tetra_Vega Wrote:
MacyG88 Wrote:

Ka-Tra

This time it's Aunt May's turn....

Also, does anyone else think that they should make this movie, then 'reboot' with a Miles Morales movie, and then blow everyone's mind with a Spider-Verse film? Imagine how many Spider-bucks they could make if they got McGuire, Garfield, Holland, Miles' actor, and, hell, they could even pull in Drake Bell and say he's the cartoon Spider-Man. Play off their poor decisions like some sort of master plan.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/28/2015 06:44 AM (UTC)
coltess Wrote:
Also, does anyone else think that they should make this movie, then 'reboot' with a Miles Morales movie, and then blow everyone's mind with a Spider-Verse film?

Vomit. Comics have 50 odd years of now weekly installments. They can get away with -- or at least recover from -- these kinds of weak stunts. The movies only get a run every few years. They should try to focus on getting a couple of good sequels on the books before they piss the concept away with a diluted concept and fractured audience.
Coltess
06/28/2015 07:48 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
They should try to focus on getting a couple of good sequels on the books before they piss the concept away with a diluted concept and fractured audience.

Oh it's far too late to prevent that. Spider-Man has been run ragged in cinema. If they won't let the character rest, they might as well go with a gimmick that will bring in some cash. Allow all the squabbling factions to have their Spider-Man on the big screen.
KungLaodoesntsuck
06/28/2015 06:05 PM (UTC)
I'm kinda glad Garfield is getting replaced. His Peter Parker wasn't believable at all. But on the other side, it would've been cool to see him keep the role for consistency.

Hope this Holland guy does a good job.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/28/2015 11:18 PM (UTC)
- Spider-Man Will Battle New Onscreen Villain According to Kevin Feige

When BMD's Devin Faraci asked about the character's rouges gallery, Feige noted they'd be tapping an unused baddie for this latest outing. "That's the advantage," he said of the "deep bench" of villains. "Right now we’re interested in seeing villains we haven’t seen before."

Elsewhere in the discussion, Feige again noted the oft-mentioned John Hughes reference point for the film. “It’s the soap opera in high school, and those supporting characters, that are interesting,” Feige told Faraci. “Just as we hadn’t seen a heist movie in a long time, or a shrinking movie in a long time, we haven’t seen a John Hughes movie in a long time. Not that we can make a John Hughes movie - only John Hughes could - but we’re inspired by him, and merging that with the superhero genre in a way we haven’t done before excites us.”

Finally, to cap off the interview, Faraci asked Feige if we'd ever see Spider-Man on a Netflix show. While a chance exists, current deals don't allow for it. “My general answer to that is never say never,” Feige said. “But our current Sony deal is very specific - we’re producing the standalone film, with a certain amount of back and forth allowed.” Still, with Spider-Man being a close bridge between street-level hero and Avenger, there's always a possibility.

New villain at least seems like a good thing, subject to choice.
coltess Wrote:
Tetra_Vega Wrote:
MacyG88 Wrote:

Ka-Tra

This time it's Aunt May's turn....

Noooooo!

New villain all together, or existing benchwarmer?

Hmm, maybe the Vulture? Oh, Mysterio!

Ka-Tra
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/21/2016 06:42 AM (UTC)
- Jumanji' Release Date Pushed, 'Spider-Man' Shifts

Sony's next live-action Spider-Man movie, which will star Tom Holland as the young webslinger, will now hit theaters on July 7, 2017, moved up from its previous release date of July 28, 2017. Jon Watts is directing the film.

Spider-Man now lands on the date that was just vacated by Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which will now set sail on May 26, 2017.

Start a new thread if you want to talk about the villainy that is the Jumanji remake.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/13/2016 02:32 PM (UTC)
- Sony/Marvel's 2017 Spidey Film Officially Titled "Spider-Man: Homecoming"

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" is official. Following speculation last week after Sony Pictures registered the spidermanhomecomingthemovie.com domain name, the studio made the title official Tuesday night at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, in news later confirmed by Marvel.com. Marvel has also released a look at the 2017 film's official logo:

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" will be the first solo Spidey film under the new joint agreement between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures, which will see Spider-Man appear in Marvel Cinematic Universe films for the first time. The movie will star Tom Holland in the title role, who will debut as the beloved Marvel hero in Marvel Studios' "Captain America: Civil War," out on May 6.

Clearly, "Homecoming" reflects the younger, high school-age Peter Parker played by Tom Holland -- but may also be a reference to the iconic character being under the Marvel umbrella, after years of being under Sony's sole live-action control.

Fair enough. Wonder if/what the in-film reason will be.
MacyG88
04/13/2016 03:20 PM (UTC)
Y'know, initially I wasn't particularly excited for Spidey considering that this is his second reboot in less than 10 years. The illusion was broken for me.

But now I'm really starting to see something special here. Spider-Man has been in a rut for a while now (thanks Sony.) However, It's clear that Marvel has so far done a great job bringing him back, as they clearly have plans and future stories already laid out.

Spider-Man vs Hulk, anyone?
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.