Shadow Kick or Shadow Who?
posted02/14/2015 08:28 PM (UTC)by
sharefrock
I have to start this by saying that I have not read all the threads that were made after the stream so if someone already complained about this in a thread then I'm sorry.

I didn't see a specific thread made about this, but is it just me or is anyone else a little annoyed that Kitana now has a Shadow Kick?!

In the stream you can clearly see her do a Shadow Kick when she is in her Jade Variation(Yes I realize it's called Mournful but they might as well name it Jade Variation)

There were no green Shadows but It's still obviously a shadow kick, just because there is no Green Shadows doesn't mean it's not the exact same move.

But honestly it's bugging me because as far as I know Jade's Shadow Kick was not related to her Staff or Boomerang so how is it that Kitana can now do a Shadow Kick minus Green Shadow Move?

I realize this might be a very small thing to harp on but just like Ermac's Lips annoyed people this thing annoys me.

I might be wrong but as far as I know Jade's Shadow Kick was like Nightwolf's shoulder charge in the sense that it's a move related to the character rather than a weapon he has.

So can someone explain how logically Kitana has Jade's Shadow Kick minus Green Shadow move?
ErmaSco
02/13/2015 01:10 PM (UTC)
Do your homework, take the dog out or go for a run.
sharefrock
02/13/2015 01:11 PM (UTC)
ErmaSco Wrote:
Do your homework, take the dog out or go for a run.

Finished my homework, already taken the dog out and I don't run...
NickScryer
02/13/2015 01:25 PM (UTC)
Yeah it's a bit shit that Kitana has the Shadow Kick too.

I was more okay with just the weapons but what's done is done, it's not going to change now.
Blade4693
02/13/2015 01:29 PM (UTC)
I think I must have missed that part because the stream lagged a few times but Jade's Shadow Kick probably isn't weapon related, its probably a technique that edenians can learn.
immortalkombat
02/13/2015 01:32 PM (UTC)
Doesn't she use jades staff to do it? Like uses it to propel herself?
sharefrock
02/13/2015 01:34 PM (UTC)
NickScryer Wrote:

I was more okay with just the weapons but what's done is done, it's not going to change now.

I agree, I wasn't that mad when Kitana got Jade's weapons.

I actually thought it's a good way for Jade to be in without being in if you know what I mean, But I was annoyed that she also has a shadow kick which I always thought was character based rather than weapon based.

It's like saying Kung Lao can shot fire now because he has Liu Kang's headband

Blade4693 Wrote:
I think I must have missed that part because the stream lagged a few times but Jade's Shadow Kick probably isn't weapon related, its probably a technique that edenians can learn.

Yeah they don't show it a lot, I think he just does it once or twice.

And it makes more sense if it's a technique like you said but it's just really odd that Kitana would do that move.

I don't know for me it feels wrong that Kitana not only has Jade's weapons but now has a move that's supposed to be specific for a character.

oracle
About Me

-sig by MINION

02/13/2015 01:55 PM (UTC)
Well it's just a kick. From what I remember the animation was the same as Jade's so I don't think she's using the staff in a different way during the move. But visually it looks like she's just throwing her weight behind the kick. She doesn't glow green or anything like Jade or Johnny so it comes across as more of a highly stylized kick. Really they should've just left it out but they're trying to preserve Jade's style as much as possible, I assume.
sharefrock
02/13/2015 02:03 PM (UTC)
oracle Wrote:
Well it's just a kick. From what I remember the animation was the same as Jade's so I don't think she's using the staff in a different way during the move. But visually it looks like she's just throwing her weight behind the kick. She doesn't glow green or anything like Jade or Johnny so it comes across as more of a highly stylized kick. Really they should've just left it out but they're trying to preserve Jade's style as much as possible, I assume.

Yeah it didn't glow green or anything but just removing the Green Shadow from it doesn't mean it's not the same move and I agree with you that they wanted to bring as much from Jade as they can and I kind of expected it but I never thought they'd really give Cassie the Shadow kick.

But I thought I was the only person who didn't like that she has a Shadow Kick lol good thing to see other people being a bit concerned.

immortalkombat Wrote:
Doesn't she use jades staff to do it? Like uses it to propel herself?

Yeah but the move is related to Jade herself and not her staff, that's what annoys me :/
DeLaGeezy
About Me
MKO's Sig of the Week Contest - Coming Soon! PM for details on how you can be a part of it!
02/13/2015 02:49 PM (UTC)
Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps Jade taught Kitana that move? They were best friends. I actually like Kitana has the Shadow Kick, the Mournful variation pays nice homage to Jade. Now that she isn't in the game, it's the best next thing for her fans.
T-rex
About Me

02/13/2015 02:56 PM (UTC)
sharefrock Wrote:
Yeah but the move is related to Jade herself and not her staff, that's what annoys me :/

Well, yeah. Jade's kick left green afterimages because magic or some shit. Kitana can't do that, so she does an approximation of that move using the staff to propel herself instead.

It's kinda bullshit, but because I'm genuinely impressed by how nicely they worked it in and actually justified it, I'll allow it.
sharefrock
02/13/2015 03:00 PM (UTC)
DeLaGeezy Wrote:
Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps Jade taught Kitana that move? They were best friends. I actually like Kitana has the Shadow Kick, the Mournful variation pays nice homage to Jade. Now that she isn't in the game, it's the best next thing for her fans.

So wait can Liu Kang teach Kung Lao how to shot fireballs from his hands?

Please read and then post, don't just assume things man.

I already said that I think it's a good thing that there is a Jade variation it's a way to have the character in the game without them actually being in the game.

but at least, Let it make a bit of sense.

Jade's Shadow kick is like Liu Kang's Fireball in the sense that they are both moves that are supposed to belong to character and they have the power to do them.

Kitana Can't shot fire balls so how can she do the Shadow Kick?

Now if the Shadow Kick is something that can be taught then I am sorry, I never saw that anywhere and I have read a lot about the MK Lore.

Never saw that you can teach Shadow moves like Nightwolf's Shoulder Charge, Johnny's and Jade's Shadow Kick.

They are supposed to be within the abilities of a character not something you can just teach.

When Liu Kang died in MKDA and Kung Lao was given one of his moves it made sense because the move was not something Liu Kang only could do.

I don't remember Kung Lao Shooting fireballs left and right to pay homage.

My point is, It's good that they are putting some Jade in there but I hope it would have made sense.
Blade4693
02/13/2015 03:05 PM (UTC)
sharefrock Wrote:
NickScryer Wrote:

I agree, I wasn't that mad when Kitana got Jade's weapons.

I actually thought it's a good way for Jade to be in without being in if you know what I mean, But I was annoyed that she also has a shadow kick which I always thought was character based rather than weapon based.

It's like saying Kung Lao can shot fire now because he has Liu Kang's headband

Blade4693 Wrote:

Yeah they don't show it a lot, I think he just does it once or twice.

And it makes more sense if it's a technique like you said but it's just really odd that Kitana would do that move.

I don't know for me it feels wrong that Kitana not only has Jade's weapons but now has a move that's supposed to be specific for a character.

Yeah its a little strange but I wouldn't be surprised if Jade taught her that move at some point and now that Jade is gone she just embraces in honor of her, kind of how she is doing her staff and glaive.

I know people are pretty mixed on the "Jade variation" but since NRS is treating as a way of Kitana mourning her dead friend I actually like it. It's a cool nod to the character, it makes sense story wise, and it gives Kitana a new play style this game which is cool.

I do feel bad for the Jade fans though, but she will more than likely appear again in a later game, especially since she is sitting this one out.
sharefrock
02/13/2015 03:07 PM (UTC)
T-rex Wrote:
sharefrock Wrote:

Well, yeah. Jade's kick left green afterimages because magic or some shit. Kitana can't do that, so she does an approximation of that move using the staff to propel herself instead.

It's kinda bullshit, but because I'm genuinely impressed by how nicely they worked it in and actually justified it, I'll allow it.

I agree with you, Only problem is she doesn't use the staff to propel herself. staff only extends, never hits the ground or anything.

If you look again at when they were explaining the variation you can see that she doesn't use the staff to do that move.

Only thing that happens is the staff extends and that's all, That's why it's bugging me.

it's like they are saying Kitana could have always done that move but just because Jade was doing she didn't want to do it.

I mean if they find a way to explain it like they did with Kung Lao in MKDA having one of Liu Kang's moves, then I will be okay with that.

But if they are just going to leave at "Ohhh she always had that power but she was too good to use it" then I'm a little disappointed.

Again just so people don't get me wrong I don't hate that variation I think it's pretty cool it's just that one move.

because it feels as if Jade didn't have any character at all, like Kitana could do all of Jade's moves so what's the point of Jade in the first place.

Instead of paying homage to Jade that variation for me at least became a way to laugh at how silly Jade is.
Alsovar
02/13/2015 04:18 PM (UTC)
Did people get this upset when Kitana borrowed Mileena's roll in MK vs. DC because she didn't make the game?
AlmightyHuey
02/13/2015 04:18 PM (UTC)
T-rex Wrote:
sharefrock Wrote:

you have know choice but to allow it grin
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

02/13/2015 04:42 PM (UTC)
sharefrock Wrote:
I might be wrong but as far as I know Jade's Shadow Kick was like Nightwolf's shoulder charge in the sense that it's a move related to the character rather than a weapon he has.

So can someone explain how logically Kitana has Jade's Shadow Kick minus Green Shadow move?

Explain how logically Jade has Johnny Cage's Shadow Kick...

confused

At least Kitana doing it makes more sense, since she doesn't change colors when she does it. Possibly making the player believe that it's not an inherit power. Just take it for what it is. Maybe the Staff allows her to do it or something story wise, while gameplay wise, it extends for the sake of smoothly transition potential combos that follow up right after (as seen in the video).
lastfighter89
02/13/2015 04:44 PM (UTC)
WeaponTheory Wrote:
sharefrock Wrote:

confused

At least Kitana doing it makes more sense.
She doesn't change colors when she does it.

Johnny has shadow powers since mk 1.
He is some kind of divine warrior from a mediterranean heritage.
JadedReign
02/13/2015 04:45 PM (UTC)
WeaponTheory Wrote:
sharefrock Wrote:

confused

How does it make more sense if Kitana does it? Jade's always been changing colors since UMK3. confused
sharefrock
02/13/2015 04:50 PM (UTC)
WeaponTheory Wrote:
sharefrock Wrote:

confused

Jade and Johnny Cage probably have similar powers which allows both of them to do the Shadow Kick.

Shao Kahn also has Similar Green Shadow moves and so does Nightwolf.

I can't explain what is unexplainable in the Lore, because that would be called an opinion.

Nightwolf's and Shao Kahn's Green Shadow moves make some sense because both of them use souls or so we think.

In Nightwolf's Case it's spirits.

So I'd assume that Jade and Johnny Cage share a similar ability, Only way I can logically explain it.

But Kitana never had any ability like this, she uses her magic fans to be able to do the after-burn move(that's what I call it the after-burn move, the one where she turns her back to you and flies real fast at you)

On the other hand when she does the Shadow Kick minus Green Shadow move she doesn't use the pole to propel herself or anything. She just does the Shadow kick without Green Shadow and that's it.

While I can't explain what you want me to explain, it has always been there and I personally always assumed Johnny and Jade had similar abilities.
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

02/13/2015 04:51 PM (UTC)
lastfighter89 Wrote:

I know that. But you're missing the point. A person is complaining that Kitana has a Shadow Kick from Jade, when it's Johnny Cage's signature move first.

JadedReign Wrote:
How does it make more sense if Kitana does it? Jade's always been changing colors since UMK3. confused

Reread my post, I edit it for more detail.
DeLaGeezy
About Me
MKO's Sig of the Week Contest - Coming Soon! PM for details on how you can be a part of it!
02/13/2015 04:56 PM (UTC)
sharefrock Wrote:
DeLaGeezy Wrote:

So wait can Liu Kang teach Kung Lao how to shot fireballs from his hands?

Please read and then post, don't just assume things man.

I already said that I think it's a good thing that there is a Jade variation it's a way to have the character in the game without them actually being in the game.

but at least, Let it make a bit of sense.

Jade's Shadow kick is like Liu Kang's Fireball in the sense that they are both moves that are supposed to belong to character and they have the power to do them.

Kitana Can't shot fire balls so how can she do the Shadow Kick?

Now if the Shadow Kick is something that can be taught then I am sorry, I never saw that anywhere and I have read a lot about the MK Lore.

Never saw that you can teach Shadow moves like Nightwolf's Shoulder Charge, Johnny's and Jade's Shadow Kick.

They are supposed to be within the abilities of a character not something you can just teach.

When Liu Kang died in MKDA and Kung Lao was given one of his moves it made sense because the move was not something Liu Kang only could do.

I don't remember Kung Lao Shooting fireballs left and right to pay homage.

My point is, It's good that they are putting some Jade in there but I hope it would have made sense.

Because in those examples you gave, it doesn't make sense for that specific character to teach another character his/her moves. For the story NRS is going with, that Jade is actually dead, it could make sense that somewhere in the storyline (behind the scenes almost) Jade could have taught Kitana her Shadow Kick, in a way of saying thanks or something. This way, it also pays tribute to Jade in a way where she can live on in the memory of Kitana.

Why would Liu Kang teach Kung Lao his fireballs, if it doesn't make sense plot wise? Though it could happen.. who says it can't happen?

Your idea of a character's ability not being transferable is nonsense. Why couldn't it happen? How many times have we seen in video games or an anime that one character inherits a special move from another character, for a specific purpose?

In Saint Seiya (maybe you're not familiar with it), when Shiryu is about to kill the Gold Saint of Capricorn, Shura (well suicide with him) not only does Shura protect Shiryu with his Gold Cloth, but in that very moment teaches Shiryu his only special move in the entire anime, the ability to use the sacred sword of Excalibur which Shura possessed within in his right arm. He inherited Excalibur, which was thought to be impossible, because only Shura had the ability to use it. But it was perfect. Sure enough, throughout the anime, Shiryu used Excalibur, and it's the perfect homage to Shura. It was also a way of bonding two characters, which in Kitana's and Jade's case, is perfect, in my opinion.
DG1OA
02/13/2015 04:57 PM (UTC)
Now I feel even more justified in my opinion that Liu Kang (if he returns) should have had a Kung Lao variation where he not only use the hat, but KL's teleports, too.

They are giving the moves of (potentially) missing characters to returnees, like Noob's clone to Scorpion, and nearly an whole variant for Kitana based on Jade's moveset. Goro will probably borrow the other two Shokan's moves again.

All Kitana needs now is the ability to go though projectiles, and her Jade variant will be complete. Yet they probably won't at least make Jade an alt for Kitana.
lastfighter89
02/13/2015 05:02 PM (UTC)
WeaponTheory Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:

I know that. But you're missing the point. A person is complaining that Kitana has a Shadow Kick from Jade, when it's Johnny Cage's signature move first.

JadedReign Wrote:

Reread my post, I edit it for more detail.

But Jade does it in a different fashion (jumping), while Johnny does it while sliding and Kitana propels herself with the staff.

Jade's original move name was "blazing nitro kick" and she smoked while doing the move.

They are three different moves.
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

02/13/2015 05:03 PM (UTC)
DG1OA Wrote:
All Kitana needs now is the ability to go though projectiles, and her Jade variant will be complete.

That's weird that she doesn't have that. But at the same time, they almost forgot showing off her Shadow Kick.
Pages: 5
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.