diirecthit
01/12/2017 03:28 AM (UTC)
lastfighter89 Wrote:
Zebron Wrote:
blacksaibot Wrote:
MKX introduced a bunch of new characters. How the fuck is that playing it safe?

Half of MKX's new characters were literally relatives of legacy characters. And yes, I'm aware that they don't play the same as their relatives. But the mere fact that they're related makes them feel derivative to me. Also, most game sequels introduce new characters, so bringing in new characters, in and of itself, isn't really going out on a limb. If a majority of the characters on the roster were new, that would be something different.

But the roster risks I'm most interested in are the kind where they take a lesser-known character from an older game in the series and give him or her another chance to shine. I would have loved to see what the current MK design staff could do with someone like Havik or Li Mei (as playable characters), but we got precious little of that in MKX. Maybe we'll see it in MK11, but with Warner Brothers running the show, I doubt it.

according to this logic, SF too is plenty of derivative characters:

Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, heck even Dan.

Guile and Nash and Cammy and Alex

just to name a few...

How are Cammy and Alex even remotely similar? You just proved you've never played SF, so your posts in this thread are invalid
lastfighter89
01/13/2017 02:48 PM (UTC)
I wrote "derivative".

The same way a lot of People here told that Takeda, Kung Jin, Jax, Jacqui, cassie and Sonya are "derivative".

So, according to your logic those People never played Mk x as well.

If I were an evil person I'd say someone is butthurted from Mk X's success and SF5 half-failure...
diirecthit
01/13/2017 03:31 PM (UTC)
lastfighter89 Wrote:
I wrote "derivative".

The same way a lot of People here told that Takeda, Kung Jin, Jax, Jacqui, cassie and Sonya are "derivative".

If I were an evil person I'd say someone is butthurted from Mk X's success and SF5 half-failure...

1st I don't give a shit about your opinion, and i am glad SFV bombed so go get at someone else with that lol.

And 2nd, the reason why people say the relatives are "derivative" is because they are directly related to old characters, but they clearly aren't if you played the game, and those guys saying that are still butthurt about more boring ass ninjas/palette swaps being left out of the game over them. Your comment on Alex and Cammy was completely idiotic however, since there's literally no relation to them storywise or gameplay wise.
lastfighter89
01/13/2017 06:05 PM (UTC)
diirecthit Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:
I wrote "derivative".

1st I don't give a shit about your opinion, and i am glad SFV bombed so go get at someone else with that lol.

And 2nd, the reason why people say the relatives are "derivative" is because they are directly related to old characters, but they clearly aren't if you played the game, and those guys saying that are still butthurt about more boring ass ninjas/palette swaps being left out of the game over them. Your comment on Alex and Cammy was completely idiotic however, since there's literally no relation to them storywise or gameplay wise.

Woof...woof...

Military type character. Guile, Guile with a Labarador's tail, Half naked Sonya Blade Clone and military hobo plus Blonde Rambo.

Some of you still have to prove how Takeda and Kung Jin are "military".

And you really sound butthurted the way you write.

Plus, You really seem to care about my opinion.
diirecthit
01/13/2017 10:07 PM (UTC)
I don't think Takeda or Jin are clones or "derivative", so idk why you're saying that i have yet to say how they are clones.

Calling Cammy a Sonya clone because she's a blonde military chick (which is their only similarity), and then getting mad people calling the MK desendants "derivative" lmao.

Neither of them are clones or derivatives, people saying that are either

A) butthurt because the MKX newcomers got in the game and not their faves
B) blinded by delusion of being a MK fan (in your case)
lastfighter89
01/13/2017 11:22 PM (UTC)
diirecthit Wrote:
I don't think Takeda or Jin are clones or "derivative", so idk why you're saying that i have yet to say how they are clones.

Calling Cammy a Sonya clone because she's a blonde military chick (which is their only similarity), and then getting mad people calling the MK desendants "derivative" lmao.

Neither of them are clones or derivatives, people saying that are either

A) butthurt because the MKX newcomers got in the game and not their faves
B) blinded by delusion of being a MK fan (in your case)

...or C) Delusional SF fans writing their nonsense in a Mortal Kombat forum.

Yes, i think it's C.
MindStrikes
01/14/2017 02:07 PM (UTC)
Hating on SF5 while also hating on the original MK... SF5 is a good game, no matter what opinion an individual has.

1. The music in SF5 is very good and does hype when listening to it.
2. New characters are love letter to the fans. And there will be 5 more coming this year.
3. Smart invested options in the main menu, training mode etc.
3. Alternate costumes with the original (not screwed) costumes
4. Unlocking characters, colors, alt costumes with fight-money equals free characters. (Takes 1-2 month per char.)

Just a few examples of what SF5 did good in comparrison to MKx. Capcom stays true to its origin and improves their games aswell. The new characters in MKx are children that make their parents and classic characters look stupid. All it takes is a cocky emo posse from the block that have some millitary experiance. Screw martial arts and sorcery. We got guns and gadgets...

The inconsistency in MK is just ridiculous. From the music department to the characters and designs.
lastfighter89
01/14/2017 09:19 PM (UTC)
MindStrikes Wrote:
Hating on SF5 while also hating on the original MK... SF5 is a good game, no matter what opinion an individual has.

1. The music in SF5 is very good and does hype when listening to it.
2. New characters are love letter to the fans. And there will be 5 more coming this year.
3. Smart invested options in the main menu, training mode etc.
3. Alternate costumes with the original (not screwed) costumes
4. Unlocking characters, colors, alt costumes with fight-money equals free characters. (Takes 1-2 month per char.)

Just a few examples of what SF5 did good in comparrison to MKx. Capcom stays true to its origin and improves their games aswell. The new characters in MKx are children that make their parents and classic characters look stupid. All it takes is a cocky emo posse from the block that have some millitary experiance. Screw martial arts and sorcery. We got guns and gadgets...

The inconsistency in MK is just ridiculous. From the music department to the characters and designs.

And yet MK X is a profitable one.
SF5 is just a sinking ship fro CAPCOM. How do you explain this?

And the whole "grinding" for unlocking characters is just ridicoulus. And the lack of a proper arcade mode is even worse.

Music is subjective, I for one, excluding Guile's theme, can not stand any of SF music. WHile I could hear the subway stage music from MK3 all the day long.

MK X is plenty of alternative costumes (some of them are dumb).

I am sick and tired of fan service characters.
So, I suppose my love for MK X isn't out of reality, especially considering ITS far better reception both critically and commercially.
MindStrikes
01/15/2017 09:23 PM (UTC)
lastfighter89 Wrote:And yet MK X is a profitable one.

And the whole "grinding" for unlocking characters is just ridicoulus. And the lack of a proper arcade mode is even worse.

Sales are not always equal to the quality of the game. SF5 is only released on Ps4 and Pc, instead to Mkx, that is released on xbox, ps4, mobile and Pc. Not really fare to compare it in this form imo. I don't know if you follow the fighting community. But SF5 is more popular than MKx is or was in the FGC. Not only does it generate more views on Twitch, it's way more offten played aswell. MKx is, sorry to say, dead on streams. I count that higher than sales. Especially on long terms.

You don't like to grinding for currency in general or just in SF5?

lastfighter89 Wrote:Music is subjective, I for one, excluding Guile's theme, can not stand any of SF music. WHile I could hear the subway stage music from MK3 all the day long.

Idk if MKx included the MK3 subway music, but that track, so far i know, is not included in MKx. If so, it's a classic track that sure is better than the blant music that is used in the recent MK games. That was actually one of my points in terms of consistency.
lastfighter89
01/15/2017 10:39 PM (UTC)
MindStrikes Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:And yet MK X is a profitable one.

Sales are not always equal to the quality of the game. SF5 is only released on Ps4 and Pc, instead to Mkx, that is released on xbox, ps4, mobile and Pc. Not really fare to compare it in this form imo.

I don't know if you follow the fighting community. But SF5 is more popular than MKx is or was in the FGC. Not only does it generate more views on Twitch, it's way more offten played aswell. MKx is, sorry to say, dead on streams. I count that higher than sales. Especially on long terms.

You don't like to grinding for currency in general or just in SF5?

lastfighter89 Wrote:Music is subjective, I for one, excluding Guile's theme, can not stand any of SF music. WHile I could hear the subway stage music from MK3 all the day long.

Idk if MKx included the MK3 subway music, but that track, so far i know, is not included in MKx. If so, it's a classic track that sure is better than the blant music that is used in the recent MK games. That was actually one of my points in terms of consistency.

Mkx sold 5.5 million copies + steam.
Mobile doesn't count.
And SF5 lack of xbox 1 version is due to Sony partially funding the developement and marketing of the game. That was Capcom strategy and they are to blame.

Plus, Capcom is making more content to base sf 5 players because is less expansive than making a new full game, while Netherrealm has to release Injustice 2.
When marvel vs capcom infinity will be released I highly doubt SF5 will be supported any longer.

Ps: the subway music can be heard during one of Cassie's intros.

Pss: No, I don't like the whole concept of grinding in fighting games and can barely stand it to rpgs.
Joe-Von-Zombie
About Me

Sig by MINION

01/16/2017 02:42 PM (UTC)
Holy shit, this retarded thread is still going.
Nemesis316
01/27/2017 05:51 AM (UTC)
I'm hoping that with MK11 there will be some less popular characters taking up roster space. MK9 was a great jolt of nostalgia for fans of the classic games, and NRS was smart in having the more popular characters (minus Shinnok, DLC not included) mixed in with completely new ones. As MKX's roster can be compared to MKDA's roster, I'm hoping MK11 will have a similar modus operandi as Deception; some popular characters mixed in with obscure characters and new characters.

While I think most of the new characters in MKX were great, I'm hoping to see a little less new faces in the next game, and have them focus on revamping some characters from the 3D era. Maybe bring back 4-5 of the MKX newbies and have 4 new characters. Also, make Smoke playable again and bring back Noob Saibot, please.
QueenAhnka
About Me

Rebel. Outsider. Fan Of The Obscure. Politically Incorrect. Spitfire!

02/16/2017 12:26 AM (UTC)
Nemesis316 Wrote:
I'm hoping that with MK11 there will be some less popular characters taking up roster space. MK9 was a great jolt of nostalgia for fans of the classic games, and NRS was smart in having the more popular characters (minus Shinnok, DLC not included) mixed in with completely new ones. As MKX's roster can be compared to MKDA's roster, I'm hoping MK11 will have a similar modus operandi as Deception; some popular characters mixed in with obscure characters and new characters.

While I think most of the new characters in MKX were great, I'm hoping to see a little less new faces in the next game, and have them focus on revamping some characters from the 3D era. Maybe bring back 4-5 of the MKX newbies and have 4 new characters. Also, make Smoke playable again and bring back Noob Saibot, please.

Agreed there needs to be a better balance. I loved Deception for the most part because its roster was fairly balanced. You had your popular mainstays(Mileena, Baraka, Liu Kang, Raiden, Subby, Scorp, + Jax, Kitana from the PSP version), returning newbies from the previous game (Bo', Li Mei, Kenshi, + Blaze & Frost from the PSP version), all new characters (Havik, Hotaru ect) and then a nice group of then long awaited characters that we hadn't seen for a long while until that point (Jade, Nightwolf, Sindel, Tanya, Kabal, Noob/Smoke, Ermac + Goro & Kahn from PSP/Gamecube.)

I really think doing a healthy balance would make majority of fans happy. Of course popular mainstays are to be expected and that's fine- but also toss in some obscure faces. I also hope we don't get a ton of new faces next game either. MK has a terrible pattern of introducing batches of new characters and then dumping them for the next title with maybe only two or so returning. Kotal, Erron, D'Vorah, Jaqui, Takeda, Kung Jin, and Cassie are mandatory in my book. Maybe add in a total of only four new characters at max. The rest of the roster can be split evenly between popular mainstays, 3D era returnees, and returning newbies from MKX.
barakall
12/24/2017 05:04 PM (UTC)
And we have a clear winner of who listens to the fans and comes through in the end: Capcom!
They finally added highly requested Sagat as well as Blanka, Sakura, Cody and two new ones. This is how you do a third DLC package and add new modes. MKX could've saved it with a third season, though the feel, music and lack of stages and variety in the characters probably couldn't be undone.
12/30/2017 12:01 AM (UTC)
friendshipagain Wrote:
Well, just seen the latest trailer for Street Fighter V. They could easily have re-skinned the SF2 era characters again with some new stages/variations etc but the third released character is Charlie Nash!!

Last time he was on the playable roster was in Street Fighter Alpha 3 in 1998 and never in the main series!! Brilliant to see a major developer taking some calculated roster risks and giving some love to their long-standing hard fans, not rehasing the same returning characters again and again. Very brave to be using such a character early in the marketing too!!

See, it can be done NRS!! You were once cutting edge, what happened?!

I would just like to say a bit of something on this.

I personally wouldn't call it risk taking, but simply not being wasteful. NRS has had a long history of creating a plethora of characters, only to discard most (if not all) of them by the next installment. I just want to display the gravity of this:

ADVANCEMENT OF NEW MK CHARACTERS
(hidden and non-playable characters excluded)

1. Mortal Kombat 3
- New Characters: 7
- Advanced to MK4: 0

2. Mortal Kombat 4
- New Characters: 8
- Advanced to MKDA: 1

3. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
- Advanced to MKD: 3

4. Mortal Kombat Deception
- Advanced to MK9: 0

5. Mortal Kombat (2011)
- New Characters: 2
- Advanced to MKX: 0

6. Mortal Kombat X
- New Characters: 10
- Advanced to next installment: ???

Considering NRS' track record with keeping their characters, it is likely less than half of the characters that debuted in MKX will return in the next installment. This shows a very poor attitude towards character development. Ed Boon's reasoning for forsaking characters has often been "The character is bad," ignoring the ironic fact that he and his team are in fact the reason the character is bad. However, instead of improving the character, they simply discard them.

This is not to say Street Fighter isn't guilty of this, because they definitely are, but as a MK fan, but gripe is with Netherrealm Studios, not Capcom. This behavior is what has slowly dwindled my love for the series, as I have refused to get attached to characters I will likely never see again (or at the very least, not for a decade).
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.