Debunking the myth
posted03/11/2015 11:44 PM (UTC)by
barakall
Let's debunk the myth that NRS uses MK9 character statistics in their choices of characters:

www.eventhubs.com/stats/mk9/

Out of 30, we have Quan Chi at 26, Kano at 24, Jax at 22, Kenshi at 17, Sonya at 16. So saying that a character is not because he is supposedly not popular is bull! Jade is 12th and is out, Smoke is 3rd, so what does that tell you?
sharefrock
03/08/2015 06:26 PM (UTC)
barakall Wrote:
Let's debunk the myth that NRS uses MK9 character statistics in their choices of characters:

www.eventhubs.com/stats/mk9/

Out of 30, we have Quan Chi at 26, Kano at 24, Jax at 22, Kenshi at 17, Sonya at 16. So saying that a character is not because he is supposedly not popular is bull! Jade is 12th and is out, Smoke is 3rd, so what does that tell you?

Kabal at 13 0.0
Kung Lao at 5 O.o
Cyrax at 15! How the fuck does this list work?

Those were the most used characters in MK9. Subby and Scorpion had little to no presence in tournaments.

Unless those statics are counting the Offline play which I'm not sure how they can do that.

Even on multiplayer I don't see Scorpion and Subby being played a lot.
DG1OA
03/08/2015 06:26 PM (UTC)
I agree. Baraka being low-tier in my "why Reptile over Baraka?" thread was brought up, which is pointless seeing as Quan Chi and Kano also were.
NickScryer
03/08/2015 06:28 PM (UTC)
While I'm sure they do look at popularity, it's definitely not the only deciding factor in choosing who makes the next game.

Also, those stats mean little since it's a third party site. NRS would have official stats, and I'm pretty sure more than 2,627 people on both Xbox and PS3 have played MK9.
See here: "Played percentage — The percentage of people who play this game on EventHubs. Only users who have profiles that are populated with games count towards this figure."
barakall
03/08/2015 06:30 PM (UTC)
It has been brought up quite a few times in people saying NRS using popularity to choose who gets in or not. In a recent interview / stream, they actually said that every developer who's part of the team has their favourites and they try to put as many in as possible. It's more about who NRS likes as opposed to who the fans like. This is why there's still a lot possible with Rain, Baraka, maybe even Sektor / Cyrax to be in the main game.
Killamore
03/08/2015 06:42 PM (UTC)
They thought of the story first this time, and put in the characters that made the most sense with what they came up with. MK has always been leagues ahead of other fighting games in story, but when was the last time every character in the story had a solid purpose? To many people the story in MK9 was the best in any MK, however it was sloppy due to the pre-set roster. NRS can avoid that issue this time. That's why I believe MKX's roster was built around the narrative.
barakall
03/08/2015 06:46 PM (UTC)
Exactly! MK9 story sucked, especially because they had the time to re-tell the trilogy era. The whole thing was one long freaking tournament, many characters did not even have a story. This time, characters actually have a better chance at a story since they can come up with whatever they want.
From-ear-to-ear
03/08/2015 06:54 PM (UTC)
Okay I'll bite......so what's the point of this thread other than the usual bitching?

That Smoke should be the new face of MK? That Trilogy characters actually suck? That they should scrap Kano and Quan Chi because no one used them?

There's also a little matter of universal recognizability and story purposes, but I guess we should discount that.
barakall
03/08/2015 06:55 PM (UTC)
LOL it's not about that at all, it's just to remind people that NRS does not make calls about MK9 returnees based on favourites by fans and how much they played them, nothing more.
xysion
About Me

Lazio? La prima squadra della Capitale.

03/08/2015 07:02 PM (UTC)
That is not the official usage list.

This is the official list.

The most popular characters are generally in the MKX.
Denizen
About Me

03/08/2015 07:05 PM (UTC)
xysion Wrote:

I was about to point out that OP's source didn't seem accurate.

/thread
Sonya since 92
About Me

Bladdy lovely Sig by Minion. PSN -rlg24 LIVE -WestcountryBlud

03/08/2015 07:20 PM (UTC)
xysion Wrote:

Am I blind? I can't see Rain on that list anywhere??
Spider804
03/08/2015 07:21 PM (UTC)
I think I'm more upset that Sheeva actually got played less than Freddy on 360
barakall
03/08/2015 07:23 PM (UTC)
Glad you showed me the link, don't have to be a dick about it and my argument still holds firm. Plenty of characters in are at the bottom and some who will not make it in top 10. It's all about the story, not about fan favourites.
Noob-Smoke-3333
03/08/2015 09:42 PM (UTC)
And what about this list;

http://www.dorkly.com/toplist/56586/the-greatest-mortal-kombat-character-of-all-time

I don't think NRS makes choices on popularity at all or story based because how can Noob a top 10 character on any list you look at and arguably the most famous netherrealm kombatants miss out on a game with a story based largely around the netherrealm invasion????

Maybe the soulnado will turn him into a special forces earth realm fighter and he will be in the next game
Noob-Smoke-3333
03/09/2015 05:36 AM (UTC)
And what about this list;

http://www.dorkly.com/toplist/56586/the-greatest-mortal-kombat-character-of-all-time

I don't think NRS makes choices on popularity at all or story based because how can Noob a top 10 character on any list you look at and arguably the most famous netherrealm kombatants miss out on a game with a story based largely around the netherrealm invasion????

Maybe the soulnado will turn him into a special forces earth realm fighter and he will be in the next game
Spider804
03/09/2015 05:40 AM (UTC)
..............I don't think there was any need to double post the same message 8 hours later....
Grizzle
03/09/2015 06:28 AM (UTC)
I feel like the topic of this thread would make a great twitter question for Ed Boon or other members at Netherealm studios.
Noob-Smoke-3333
03/09/2015 07:12 AM (UTC)
Spider804 Wrote:
..............I don't think there was any need to double post the same message 8 hours later....

Sorry mate didn't double post the message I am not that desperate for attention it must be a glitch with the site
redman
03/09/2015 07:18 AM (UTC)
I'm pretty sure that's not accurate, Rain isn't even on the list lol. I thought it stopped updating after like a year.
johnny_cage_win
About Me

03/09/2015 11:59 AM (UTC)
redman Wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's not accurate, Rain isn't even on the list lol. I thought it stopped updating after like a year.

Even if that is the case, a year's worth of data should be sufficient, no?
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

03/09/2015 03:34 PM (UTC)
Killamore Wrote:
They thought of the story first this time, and put in the characters that made the most sense with what they came up with. MK has always been leagues ahead of other fighting games in story, but when was the last time every character in the story had a solid purpose? To many people the story in MK9 was the best in any MK, however it was sloppy due to the pre-set roster. NRS can avoid that issue this time. That's why I believe MKX's roster was built around the narrative.

Holy shit. FINALLY, someone that fucking gets it!
paypaytr
About Me

my name is reiko and i am cosplayer of shao kahn

03/09/2015 03:41 PM (UTC)
rain came earlier then Freddy.

main thing is that
its not only popularity
its based on Story theme & NRS team favorites (why goro in) & popularity & female male ratio

and thats why noob saibot would be dlc probably

Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
03/09/2015 03:51 PM (UTC)
I'm sure popularity and use will be a roster factor....

..for the DLC!! LOLOLfffqqwwthkhhhlphhhtbbb*raspberry noises*

No, but really, it probably will, actually.
xysion
About Me

Lazio? La prima squadra della Capitale.

03/09/2015 03:53 PM (UTC)
redman Wrote:

Why would it not be accurate? It is not difficult for NRS or any company to find out user data on their game. All that happens is that it records the players PSN ID/GameTag, puts it in a spreadsheet, gets the usage numbers in the Krypt and then just totals it up. It is not hard.

Rain probably is not on there because his numbers are far below everyone elses and they did not update it with his usage showing.

No, it still updates now. The good thing about computers is they do not need breaks. Open the list and wait for an half an hour then F5 to refresh the page. The numbers would have changed.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.