Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/12/2015 12:42 PMStatus ::
GDC Previews Paint Picture of Mortal Kombat X Story Mode

During last week's Game Developers Conference, various press members were granted a hands-on preview with Mortal Kombat X and the first chapter of its exciting new Story Mode! Early word revealed Kenshi & Johnny Cage's playable involvement but with embargoes lifted, new details are flooding in from all sides!

Character speculation will be one of the last topics to die, especially with downloadable content beyond the horizon! Polygon has one of the best previews, revealing the ambitious scope of the game that awaits: "There are battles with hundreds of non-player characters and Mortal Kombat cameos, Urbano said, on a scale that NetherRealm just couldn't pull off before."

Among the "hundreds" of cameos are some expected returns. Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, Kenshi, Raiden & Fujin reportedly lead the fight for the home team, while undead revenants of Jax, Sindel, Stryker, Kabal & Smoke battle under the control of Quan Chi. This continues the plot initiated during the last game, where the defeated warriors' souls were seized in the Netherrealm. IGN notes an appearance by Nightwolf, who was also among the dead fighters, as well.

It's the Netherrealm's invasion that is the subject of story mode's opening chapter. This refers to the expected continuation of the new timeline, revisiting the original plot of MK4. We saw glimpses of invading villain Shinnok and his struggle with the heroes in the Story Mode Trailer and again in the Cage Family Trailer. According to IGN, Shinnok is the final battle of Chapter 1.

No one has been able to distinguish the playable roster from the story mode cameos. Shinnok and Jax both appeared in one-on-one fights - each with 3 variations, according to Hardcore Gamers. IGN notes, "We have no idea yet, but there are a bunch more slots on the character select screen that need to be filled..." Polygon adds, "... we did see a couple of unannounced playable fighters, including Erron Black, in the game's attract mode."

Migrating from challenge modes in Mortal Kombat (2011) and Injustice: Gods Among Us into the story are "quick time events". Simple inputs determine the outcome of conflict that doesn't fit into traditional side-to-side kombat. GameInformer have a particularly evocative description of their experience, which explains the continuing sequence involving Johnny Cage and a notably heroic Kenshi:

"They’re en route to Raiden’s Sky Temple, where the lightning god is making a last stand against Shinnok’s forces. Whirring over the on-the-ground action sounds like a pretty great plan until the windshield is pierced by another familiar sight: Scorpion’s chain-blade. The soldiers in the back of the helicopter look around frantically, when Scorpion surprises the crew by appearing in the rear of the aircraft. There’s a battle, of course, and I’m paying such close attention to it all that I miss an unexpected quick-time event. It doesn’t kick me out to a game-over screen, but the action immediately shifts to show Johnny Cage blowing a series of blocks and taking damage. I do a better job of keeping up over the next few sequences, and Johnny reverses the course of the fight. He more than holds his own until Sub-Zero joins the party, freezing a couple of attackers’ heads and shattering them against each other."

Click to Enlarge
Netherrealm War: Fujin & Raiden battle fallen elder god Shinnok.

Polygon's Michael McWhertor notes the radical shift in balance between passive and active experiences in the new mode, "The ratio of cutscene to playable fighting game leans heavily toward the former; I was a little surprised to see how little I actually played compared to how much I passively watched as Johnny Cage and his Earthrealm allies talked about what was going on." He describes the content as entertaining enough to hold his interest - a safe bet for diehard fans of the series! GameInformer's Jeff Cork echoed these sentiments, "With the setup out of the way, I was eager to do more than tap buttons every once in a while to keep the action going. Soon enough, I got my wish."

Gameplay has elicited few complaints from available previews. The newly revealed Johnny Cage fights with variations called A-List, Fisticuffs & Stunt Double. Like other characters [eg; Kitana], each variation entails different risks, rewards and gimmicks, leaving the usual Shadow Kick and Split Punch neutral to all styles.

According to Polygon; A-List boasts charge benefits for Cage's special moves - slower to execute, but worth more damage. Fisticuffs adds the golden "CAGE" knucks seen in the Cage Family gameplay, which can be enhanced with a "fist bump" to increase damage and add flashy combos. Stunt Double promises to be the most controversial, introducing a yellow clone that can execute special moves, or absorb impact. In function, it bares some similarity to Noob Saibot's shadow clone, and Sub-Zero's ice clones. Although, with Mortal Kombat X making tangible upgrades to the latter -- including the ability to toss ice clones -- these similarities are fleeting.

Cage's Stunt Double style also limits projectiles, as Polygon explain, "Instead of tossing two fireballs in two different arcs, a la Mortal Kombat 2, Stunt Double Cage can only throw them in a straight horizontal line, as in the original Mortal Kombat." Projectiles summed up IGN's breakdown of Shinnok in-game, "... he seemed to have [Shang Tsung]'s move-set, with fireballs that come up from the bottom of the screen." GamesRadar elaborate with "red lightning" and a returning old trick:

It's also interesting to note that, at one point during the fight, Shinnok busted out Johnny Cage's Shadow Kick. I was playing as Cage, but couldn't tell if Shinnok had performed a move that let him copy my Shadow Kick, or if he could just use the move innately because I was Cage. At any rate, it seems Shinnok has been all-but-confirmed to be playable, considering he was all anyone was talking about during the story, and I even saw him fighting during the game's attract mode.

Click to Enlarge
No Special Effects: Johnny Cage performs his Shadow Kick on Scorpion.

If increasingly visceral fatalities haven't been a winner for you yet, more creative finishers may entice. If you haven't seen the "Here's Johnny!" fatality - you really need to watch the Cage Family Trailer right now! Polygon's McWhertor had the pleasure of watching Ermac's fatality over breakfast, sickened by the telekinetically achieved human ball of broken bones and its big finish of an oral extraction of entrails. [You can hear it in an official teaser.]

Concluding their in depth preview, Polygon also highlight the unlockable benefit of the recently announced Mortal Kombat X Mobile. Among the costumes on offer will be Jim Lee designed Injustice Scorpion, and curiously "something called a farmer Jax skin."

Mortal Kombat X arrives on PlayStation 4, Xbox One & PC April 14th! Pre-order now to receive day one access to download fighter: Goro! Register to share your thoughts and find more stories on the Mortal Kombat X forum! Special thanks to MKO User xysion for contributing a source to this article.

Baraka407Posted: 03/12/2015 09:33 AMStatus ::

Visits::8960
Nationality::United States
GameInformer posts small preview of Story Chapter 1

Sorry if this has been posted anywhere already, but I didn't see it so...

Link

It also has a few pics including one of Johnny Cage and Sonya in game (actually fighting) at the bottom.

charlesadamstPosted: 03/12/2015 09:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::410
New IGN article with story mode details and screens

IGN posted brief impressions from their time with story mode at GDC. They have some new screens (including new stage and Fujin) and they mention seeing Smoke, Nightwolf, Stryker, Kabal, Fujin, and Kenshi in cinematics.

link

The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 03/12/2015 09:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::2359
Nationality::Canada
RE: New IGN article with story mode details and screens

Wow, great to know they're all at least getting cameos and are not forgotten.

jpetrunakPosted: 03/12/2015 09:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::3472

I really hope smoke makes it as playable but im not getting my hopes up.

-
JAX007Posted: 03/12/2015 09:57 AMStatus ::

Visits::8581

Shows Fujin in one story screenshot.

Looks like Kenshi's alternate is his MKDA design. Sonya's ring toss looks magestic.

FROIDPosted: 03/12/2015 10:12 AMStatus ::

Visits::2111

Dat shadow trail tho.

RavenbezPosted: 03/12/2015 10:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::647
Nationality::England

it could be fujin but could also be kung lao as he is aged and with pony tail now however the guy says in the video that there are still a bunch of slots on the select screen still to fill. Now, assuming he is playing a more recent build with Johnny playable etc im wondering just how many more slots are left?

'Your soul is MINE!' *everything crossed for Reiko*
etuiseePosted: 03/12/2015 10:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::792

Johnny looks fat in that vest hope he has a better alt. Edit: Im retarded his alt is that trailer and he still looks funky

etuiseePosted: 03/12/2015 10:46 AMStatus ::

Does anyone know if u can choose variations during story mode?

swerzyPosted: 03/12/2015 10:50 AMStatus ::

Visits::128
Nationality::United Kingdom

etuisee Wrote:

Polygon article confrims you can't. During Johnny's chapter you can only play as his A-Lister variation.

etuiseePosted: 03/12/2015 10:51 AMStatus ::

swerzy Wrote:
etuisee Wrote:

Polygon article confrims you can't. During Johnny's chapter you can only play as his A-Lister variation.

Gotcha thanks

JohnnyCage5Posted: 03/12/2015 10:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::1368

Sick we'll see all the revenants. Shadaloo can rest a little easier.

krajaxPosted: 03/12/2015 11:03 AMStatus ::

Visits::3050

Shinnok in the image is like, "Two Earthrealm gods? Bitch please."

DeeNixxlePosted: 03/12/2015 11:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::158
Shinnok Info from GamesRadar

http://www.gamesradar.com/we-fought-shinnok-and-won-mortal-kombat-x/

Well if this is to be believed, he's essentially confirmed to be important.

RavenbezPosted: 03/12/2015 11:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::647
Nationality::England
RE: Shinnok Info from GamesRadar

he is essentially the new shang tsung then?

i wonder how the move copy works...

'Your soul is MINE!' *everything crossed for Reiko*
smokeman14Posted: 03/12/2015 11:34 AMStatus ::

Visits::6406

...where's the skellyhands?

NickScryerPosted: 03/12/2015 11:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::5270
Nationality::Ireland

Seen somewhere that he's like the Emperor from Star Wars (was it IGN or Gamesradar?) and that he shoots red lighting out of his fingers. He sounds pretty cool with this impostor variation too. Hopefully his universals are the Skelly hands etc...

barakallPosted: 03/12/2015 11:47 AMStatus ::

Visits::1708

You cannot choose variations, that's a bit disappointing.

DeeNixxlePosted: 03/12/2015 11:48 AMStatus ::

Visits::158

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/12/8198393/mortal-kombat-x-johnny-cage-story-mode

Well this article mentions fighting Shinnok AND Jax.

I couldn't be more excited he was my favorite villain and he finally may not be a total complete pushover.

NickScryerPosted: 03/12/2015 11:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::5270
Nationality::Ireland

barakall Wrote:
You cannot choose variations, that's a bit disappointing.

It's pretty cool imo, they'll be used for story purposes like Sub-Zero's Grandmaster variation when he, you guessed it, eventually becomes Grandmaster.

ShadalooPosted: 03/12/2015 11:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::7067

JohnnyCage5 Wrote:
Sick we'll see all the revenants. Shadaloo can rest a little easier.

As if there was ever a doubt. ;)

MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
Tetra_VegaPosted: 03/12/2015 12:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::2421

So he`s got his Mythologies style God powers, not MK4 lazy Shang?
MKM + MKA Moves?

MOAR SKELLY HANDS!!! Lest Judgement Fist smite thee!

Ka-Tra

13 YEARS! ^[2004-10 Komics Sig by Siklooted, tyvm]^ [2012-15 Komics *NEW 11/24/2015*] "Circling Vulture, Laughing Hyena" "All good things, in moderation..." "Mean what you say, and say what you mean. You never know, I could be a Djinn..." True story, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine... EVERYBODY!
MKfan99Posted: 03/12/2015 12:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::2254

First mention of SMOKE!! Seriously hope he is playable! He is the only character I am still holding out for!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
BadMeetsEvilPosted: 03/12/2015 12:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::146

Now that smoke is in the game having an evil bromance. With Quan chi, I will be PISSED THE FUCK OFF if he isn't playable. .....please don't fuck this up NRS.(I still have a bad feeling they will*sadface)

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.