Is Liu Kangs gameplay worthy to be another resurrected character returnee?
posted04/03/2015 11:41 PM (UTC)by
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

I need some attempted help at understanding.
There's nothing about his Friday's demonstration that made me go:

"Man, his gameplay is sick, I'm glad he took place of what could had been a new character!".

From the gist of it, all I'm getting from him is:

"Here's Liu Kang and three variations of fireballs, enjoy!".

In your own words, explain in detail on how you feel about Liu Kang's gameplay based on the demonstration shown Friday.

-----

::DRAGON'S FIRE::

Double Dragon Kick (Two attack flying kick).
Dragon Fire (special properties, can be charged)
* Enhance Enhance projectile

::FLAME FIST::

Windmill Punch (the bicycle punches)
Shaolin Flame (damage buff)
Fireball (just a cosmetic change)
Dragon Parry

::DUALIST::

Light Metamorphosis.
- Projectile (claim to be faster than his other projectiles).
- Holding the stance activates self healing.

Dark Metamorphosis
- Timed explosive projectile traps/charging projectile activates explosive quicker.

----

I feel like they really tried hard to make Liu Kang a playable character when deep down, they didn't. Like they know if he was just in cinematics, people wouldn't like that and it'll be Deadly Alliance all over again .

His Dragon's Fire variation seems like moves that could had been universal. While a standard two attack flying kick is nice and all, but it looks like an enhance attack.

Charging projectile, while I find any type of charge attack useless, this could had also been universal or for the Flame Fist variation or the Dualist "Light Metamorphosis" stance.

The double enhanced projectile ability, give it to the Dualist variation "Light Metamorphosis" stance. Because putting it in Flame Fist would probably be unbalanced with the Shaolin Flame buff.

Flame Fist variation.
Projectile. I don't see the need to change the animation and cosmetic of a projectile just for the sake of variation. Get rid of it.

Dualist variation.
Light Metamorphosis I think needs more loving. Which is why I suggested a few moves from previous notes to be implanted in this variation and stance.

Because saying "be a bro and stand there while I heal" is not going to work.

It's claimed that the projectile in this stance is the fastest projectile out of all his others, I personally don't see it, all I see is another cosmetic change.

And unfortunately, Dark Metamorphosis projectile is the only intriguing move I've seen from him, when that could have been better suited for a Reptile variation.

Projectile charge in this stance sets the trap off quickly. Yeah, I want to see that work in competitive play, when the rushdown trap seem to be more effective as shown in the demonstration, and that's if the opponent is stupid enough not to block during the projectile activation.

I just don't see what's to really like about him in terms of gameplay. But I'm curious to know of others opinion.
sharefrock
03/28/2015 08:41 PM (UTC)
Yeah he does seem to lack when it comes to gameplay but he always did not just in MKX.

For me Liu Kang should be in because he fits the story and it really wouldn't be mortal kombat without it's champion, so in terms of gameplay I'll need to try him out but in terms of story then yes he deserves a spot.
I don't care about discussing him at lenght. That's how unimpressed I was.

First character that I'm actually struggling to get excited for.
MerdynBlade
03/28/2015 08:48 PM (UTC)
I found the whole stream mehhh...

Did not like erron. Or at least not what i expected.
And shinnok looked very slow. And Liu Kang was okay but not great.
Least appealing Kombat kast to date in my opinion.
JaymzHetfield
03/28/2015 08:49 PM (UTC)
He seems okay.

I'll probably only use him in story mode but I can understand why he appeals to a lot of people. I think my interest in him will be based on how he's portrayed over story mode. But at the end of the day Liu Kang is pretty much Liu Kang. I'm one of those people that feels Liu Kang always has a place in any MK game, even if i don't want to play as him.
Denizen
About Me

03/28/2015 08:57 PM (UTC)
I don't see the point of bringing back all of the old main heroes if they're introducing the new generation of heroes, now we don't have space for any more villains. Lui Kang's days as champion are gone, however, of all the revenants, I think he has the biggest potential for development given his relationship with Raiden after MK9, possibly playing some sort of anti-hero, hopefully they'll expand on this. His personality was never one of his strong points, Lui kang is all about the gameplay, I don't really know if the variation system did him justice, except for maybe dualist, nothing really stands out for me.
BADASS6669
About Me

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in.

I kill people for a living. Get over it.

03/28/2015 11:18 PM (UTC)
I was more disappointed in Shinnok I really hope that was an early build :(
AFKAW
About Me

Artist Formerly Known as Who...?

03/28/2015 11:40 PM (UTC)
Visually and in terms of gameplay, Liu was better than ever before. Though, I felt that in his Dualist variation he should've had more stuff related to use of the darkness powers.

As for the question: "Should has Liu be in the game?" I can say, that he is much more deserving to be in MKX, than the likes of Kung Lao, Kitana, Reptile, Kano or Jax.

I am not saying that his inclusion was absolutely neccesary, but it's one of the least jarring decisions regarding MKX roster.
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

03/28/2015 11:58 PM (UTC)
Dualist was iffy, but the other two were pretty damn good imo. I said it in the Stream Thread, but I just wish they didn't ditch the Bicycle Kick in the Flame Fist variation. Those Windy Fists could have just been the enhanced version.

It also shows that the team is still devoted to the story. At least in terms of continuity. There's an interesting quarrel now between Raiden and Liu and I'm sure it's also placed a wedge between other characters and their relationships as well. Especially Kitana and perhaps even Kung Lao since he's back. I personally wanted to see how that would play out between him and Raiden, and am glad that they decided to follow through with it.

So with that said, I'd complain about Jax and Kung Lao being resurrected before I would Liu Kang.
Spirit_Wolf
03/29/2015 12:05 AM (UTC)
Liu Kang is just Liu Kang. I liked him. Best design so far.
I just didn't like the more than obvious Bruce Lee reference. That gesture with touching his nose is unnecessary. And that one punch reminds me to much about Law/Fei Long.
Don't know how I feel of him having a bycicle punch move, especially after Kung Lao had it in MK9 (slightly different).
Nix Dolores
03/29/2015 12:16 AM (UTC)
Spirit_Wolf Wrote:
Don't know how I feel of him having a bycicle punch move, especially after Kung Lao had it in MK9 (slightly different).

Are you talking about his 1121 combo?
Tekunin_General
About Me

Twitter~Facebook~Youtube~~~~~PSN: Casselman/LockUpYourBones
03/29/2015 12:17 AM (UTC)
I have hated Liu Kang since MK1. That being said, I feel as if they have made him "not shit" for once.

Duelist looks insane. I simply cannot wait to see what people do with this variation. I REALLY like the idea of Liu Kang as a bad guy. I love it, actually. Even as a good guy who has had enough of Raiden's shit. I am finally interested in a character who I have simply just wanted to die in every single game. MKDA was my saving grace.

Looking forward to Liu Kang.

but....

Shinnok looks like he is going to get my full attention.

I have my "potential main" list narrowed to this:
-Scorpion
-Takeda
-Shinnok
-Mileena

I will also look at D'Vorah, Quan Chi, Subby and Ermac but those are not looking likely. Going to pick just two of these characters.
silverhairedghost
03/29/2015 12:20 AM (UTC)
Well I liked him and probably will main him. His look is bad ass too.
sharefrock
03/29/2015 12:21 AM (UTC)
zephyrwestwind Wrote:
Spirit_Wolf Wrote:

I think he is talking about the 212121 combo, the one where you have to press the 2 and 1 buttons fast enough for it to active. You can either end it with a hard punch that knocks the player down or you can end it with an overhead hat-slice.
Spirit_Wolf
03/29/2015 12:21 AM (UTC)
zephyrwestwind Wrote:
Spirit_Wolf Wrote:

I don't know. It was part of a combo yes, not a special move. Looks quite similar.
Randwulf
03/29/2015 12:26 AM (UTC)
CassiesPatentedNutBuster Wrote:
I don't care about discussing him at lenght. That's how unimpressed I was.

First character that I'm actually struggling to get excited for.

I am not attempting to acclimate to him, let alone get excited about him. Best I can do is ignore his pointless roster spot and focus on far better characters, which is just about everyone, at the moment. They could have really unleashed the fires of hell, literally, with Liu this time, but as is I was so bored and could not wait for them to stop showing him and get to Shinnok.
swerzy
About Me

03/29/2015 12:35 AM (UTC)
In terms of gameplay?

Yes. This is the most developed Liu Kang has ever been. Not only have his fire powers been expanded on, but the Duality variation gives a whole new level to him. Liu deserves to be back in any MK game. He's the main character of this franchise and his updated moveset makes him even more worthy to come back.
Blue-Mario
03/29/2015 01:01 AM (UTC)
Yea Liu Kang has changed & his gameplay reflects that I mean hey it was either this or zombie Liu Kang .

Though I was hoping for Fire God Liu Kang :(
oh well let's see where this goes !
MoodyShooter
About Me

Dedicated, hopeless...Li Mei fan.

03/29/2015 01:09 AM (UTC)
Liu Kang is the only character I genuinely dislike. My opinion has not changed. He seems to be the same except he's now a "GRR! I'M ANGRY!! BLARGH!!" type character now.

In terms of gameplay nothing jumped out to me. He still seems to occupy that newbie character role that people unfamiliar with the game can pick him and have fun. Accessible, but over time you'll just outgrow him once you discover there's more to a fighting game other than throwing fireballs and screaming "waaaataaaaaah!" all the time.
Windice
03/29/2015 01:32 AM (UTC)
I was disapointed and I don't even like him. I just thought he would be more. I feel like the characters are slowly going down hill with him having the same power as Johnny and his other stance being similar to reptile but I don't mind cus I still got the characters I like. I just hope they spend more time on the dlc (tanya)
Blade4693
03/29/2015 01:45 AM (UTC)
I dig him in this game for the most part, but like I have said in other threads im not a fan of how his dark fire balls in the dualist variation work, I wish they would detonate on impact, like have them still be delayed if they aren't touched, but if you shoot it and your opponent doesn't dodge it, it detonates. I hate how you can fire it and they can literally walk right through it lol it sucks because that dark red fire ball looks so sick!

Everything else im cool with, I just hope we get a revenant or evil skin for him.

Oh and that enhanced enhanced fire ball is epic! lol And as for being worthy or not, definitely much more than Jax. Literally the only reason I would have brought Jax back to life is so Jacqui could exist lol
mkwhopper
03/29/2015 01:55 AM (UTC)
It's not a MK Game without Liu
:^)
Nix Dolores
03/29/2015 01:59 AM (UTC)
sharefrock Wrote:
zephyrwestwind Wrote:
Spirit_Wolf Wrote:

I think he is talking about the 212121 combo, the one where you have to press the 2 and 1 buttons fast enough for it to active. You can either end it with a hard punch that knocks the player down or you can end it with an overhead hat-slice.

Oh, okay. I forgot about that one because I never really used it.
Jenafella56
03/29/2015 02:03 AM (UTC)
I was never a fan of Liu Kang, and wasn't wowed by his variations or gameplay. I mean his gameplay was good but I didnt have that excitement I had like when I seen Kitana, Mileena etc. But hey, MK wouldn't be the same without him
Ultimachu
About Me
Twitter | DeviantArt | YouTube
"When you base your expectations only on what you see, you blind yourself to the possibilities of a new reality."
03/29/2015 02:03 AM (UTC)
I guess I'm in the minority of people who think Liu Kang looks pretty good in this game. In my opinion, this is the first MK game that I can honestly say I'm going to try out almost every character simply because I'm interested in a lot of them. The only character in the roster that I can say I'm the least interested in is Ferra/Torr.

Liu Kang looks bad ass and he seems more serious in his normal form than angry. We've only seen him angry in his Revenant form and with Raiden in their 1v1 intro for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing as Liu in the game. In MK9, he was among my mains along with Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Raiden, Kitana and Sub-Zero.
Pages: 3
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.