Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2016!
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- Kountdown: Top 10 DLC Klassic Skin Packs for Mortal Kombat X
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- MKX DLC: More Clues Point to Return of Klassic Pit Arena
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List
- Kountdown: 10 Klassic Arenas
For Mortal Kombat X DLC

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Evo 2017?
Mortal Kombat X (40.2%)
Injustice 2 (12.1%)
Both (47.5%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 21st, 2017
    Injustice 2 Console Beta Opens Sign-ups [Read On]
  • January 20th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Comic Tie-In Begins April [Read On]
  • January 19th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Release Editions & Premier Characters [Read On]
  • January 19th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Character Render Art - Flash & More [Read On]
  • January 18th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Screenshots Spotlight Brainiac, Robin & Box Art [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 4

Mick-LuciferPosted: 04/30/2015 03:00 AMStatus ::
Editorial: Mortal Kombat X Introduces First Gay Fighter

So... You may have heard that Mortal Kombat X has introduced the series' first confirmed homosexual character: Kung Jin [pictured right].

Quickly after launch, Mortal Kombat Online began receiving enthusiastic submissions from key interest websites [eg; @UKGaynews] - all eager to share and assert the breaking headline. While firsts of any kind are always interesting, we weren't so sure we wanted to dedicate coverage to this one.

There were a few factors behind the hesitation -- an intent to hold-off on detailed content spoilers, chief among them.

We also weren't entirely certain the claims were true, or even in need of special acknowledgment. Then news broke of Marvel Comics preparing to announce popular X-Men character - Iceman - will be gay after fifty-two years of publication. In this adjacent pop culture news, the real importance of Kung Jin became immediately crystallized.

First - clarification. We say Kung Jin is a "confirmed" homosexual character. Uncovering the intent behind the source of speculation was an important detail - one that needed more than interpretation.

It all stems from a dialogue sequence between Kung Jin and Raiden - a flashback during the Mortal Kombat X story mode. Jin is the black sheep to his family's mythic ancestor The Great Kung Lao and his contemporary heroic progeny (also Kung Lao). Raiden sees potential greatness in the now common thief, but Kung Jin lacks confidence in himself, and those charged with defending the light:

Raiden: "Go to the Wu Shi Academy. Join the Shaolin! Like Kung Lao before you." Kung Jin: "I can't. They wont... accept--" Raiden: "They care only about what is in your heart. Not whom your heart desires."

One of the first and few nods from an authoritative source came from Mortal Kombat X Cinematic Director Dominic Cianciolo. He made allusions to the subtext of story dialogue -- and the inferences being drawn by fans and industry commentators -- in a conversational Tweet to NetherRealm Sound Designer Brian Chard.

Without knowing for sure, the line doesn't immediately lend itself to interpreting Kung Jin's sexual preference. It could just as easily be a reference to the moral character of a prospective love interest, some other unspecified allegiance [see; Romeo & Juliet], or a platonic concern. It's incredibly ambiguous - and therein lies its true value.

Pop entertainment and video games are now deep in the throes of a rigorous cultural debate stemming from issues of social, racial and sexual characterization.

As video games and comic book licensing grow to inherit and dominate the forefront of popular entertainment - so too does the scrutiny of a steadily diversifying audience. The more eyes the mediums command, the more they become appropriated by new interests and imposed responsibilities. Boutique mediums traditionally dominated in the West by young, straight male demographics are now being challenged to attract and reflect existing, present, and increasingly available potential audiences. It's a necessary facet of growth - not without its pains.

The acceleration of, and assimilation into, a handheld, 24-hour digital mainstream has reshaped corporate industry, redefined social conscience, and participated in the free exchange of political discourse that blurs the picket lines between democracy and entertainment. The end result can be as cold and cynical as anything that came before it. Marvel Comics: an on-going case in point.

Comic books have become pretty notorious for their cynical manoeuvres. While cross-media properties like Avengers and X-Men may dominate the public consciousness through movies, television and mass produced wares - their home turf in four-color hasn't thrived.

The comics audience has evolved in conjunction with fifteen years of cultural conquest, but parity of gains and losses in comics readership has kept the audience small, and audible. The pulp guide to major industry has been at the forefront of the social debates that are going on now in gaming, spurring the print industry to seek new readership through loud, headline grabbing proclamations targeted at untapped demographics. Iceman is far from the first franchise character to undertake a sudden change of race, sex, or orientation in the service of headlines. He's just the latest. And as the list grows longer - often for a limited time - the clumsy, calculated insincerity of it all starts to overshadow the social benefit.

Kung Jin's sexuality in Mortal Kombat matters because it doesn't matter.

Straight Arrow: Kung Jin's sexuality is unimportant - and that's why it matters.

It would be naïve to think NetherRealm Studios and/or Warner Brothers aren't aware of the homosexual fanbase present within its die hard community. It may be reasonable to think this awareness was an influence in the decision to create a homosexual fighter. Whether the motive was pandering, or not - it's their handling of the fact that may make this one of the most sophisticated and progressive depictions of homosexuality [of this type] in quite some time.

It's difficult to say sexuality doesn't matter to Mortal Kombat. Scantily clad fighters have been an obvious trope of titillation projected toward the audience for a long time. Within the fictional context, however, one might argue there's been limited room for defining sexual orientation. Bone breaking, side-to-side battles haven't lent themselves naturally to romance. They've created a brutal form of gender equality through mutual aggression, but left most of the casts preferences unknown. By and large, it simply doesn't matter.

Kung Jin is a fully realized kombatant. Archery gives him the customary hook of a fighting game character, while his backstory and relationships inform compassionate motives, morality and a sense of identity. Aesthetically, he represents the legacy of the Eastern influences that spawned Mortal Kombat, expanding upon them, even as they become ever diminished. Being gay isn't irrelevant to the character, but it doesn't define him, either. It bucks the stereotypes that can trivialize gay characters, circumvents the creative jack-knife of arbitrary imposed quotas, and avoids the complete undermining cynicism of self-congratulatory press releases.

There's a slightly less glowing side to it. The ambiguity also eases the tension that might be felt by an immature, boof-headed segment of the still male dominated audience. For those who uncomfortably crack the code of plausible deniability, however, there may still be a valuable lesson to be learned: Kung Jin's sexual preference doesn't really matter. Which is actually a credit to NetherRealm Studios.

coltessPosted: 04/30/2015 03:23 AMStatus ::

Visits::5194
Nationality::United States
RE: Editorial: Mortal Kombat X Introduces First Gay Fighter

Well written.

From the second I saw the interaction with Raiden and Kung Jin I was hoping they were going to leave it at that. It seemed real, it seemed human, I didn't want them to shoehorn in an(other) unnecessary romance subplot. There are plenty of gay single people and he seems to have a lot on his plate.

There were others later on who were singing "matchmaker, matchmaker," trying to establish some sort of necessary tie to, in a sense, prove his homosexuality, when in reality it doesn't need proving. If someone is gay it shouldn't be made a spectacle of and shouted from the rooftops, *cough* Marvel *cough* not out of shame but rather out of real equality. Equality is not grandmas in rainbow shirts having to tell every person at bingo that her grandson is gay and all of the "gay things" he's done. Equality is people saying "meh" and not giving a damn.

Kung Jin likes what Kung Jin likes, you like what you like, and I don't give a damn about either of you.

Sig by MINION
Windy_ThunderstormPosted: 04/30/2015 03:35 AMStatus ::

Visits::886

coltess Wrote:
Well written.

From the second I saw the interaction with Raiden and Kung Jin I was hoping they were going to leave it at that. It seemed real, it seemed human, I didn't want them to shoehorn in an(other) unnecessary romance subplot. There are plenty of gay single people and he seems to have a lot on his plate.

There were others later on who were singing "matchmaker, matchmaker" trying to establish some sort of necessary tie to, in a sense, prove his homosexuality, when in reality it doesn't need proving. If someones gay it shouldn't be made a spectacle of and shouted from the rooftops out of it *cough* Marvel *cough* not out of shame but rather out of real equality. Equality is not grandmas in rainbow shirts having to tell every person at bingo that her grandson is gay and all of the gay things he's done. Equality is people saying "meh" and not giving a damn.

Kung Jin likes what Kung Jin likes, you like what you like, and I don't give a damn about either of you.

I agree with this.

*quickly powerwalks off before coltess' post is completely misinterpreted by someone else and the first turd is flung.*

This beautiful sig was made by MINION.
Jenafella56Posted: 04/30/2015 04:12 AMStatus ::

Visits::9

coltess Wrote:
Well written.

There were others later on who were singing "matchmaker, matchmaker" trying to establish some sort of necessary tie to, in a sense, prove his homosexuality, when in reality it doesn't need proving. If someones gay it shouldn't be made a spectacle of and shouted from the rooftops out of it *cough* Marvel *cough* not out of shame but rather out of real equality. Equality is not grandmas in rainbow shirts having to tell every person at bingo that her grandson is gay and all of the gay things he's done. Equality is people saying "meh" and not giving a damn.

Zidane_FFPosted: 04/30/2015 05:33 AMStatus ::

Visits::3259
Nationality::Brazil

That line that Raiden spoke could not represent a woman?

We know that shaolin monks cannot get in love because the life they choose.

At first, I really thought of that.

Now that they confirmed that he is gay, maybe he is in love with... KAI

sharefrockPosted: 04/30/2015 05:46 AMStatus ::

Visits::2350
Nationality::Israel

Zidane_FF Wrote:

That's exactly what I thought when I heard it. I honestly think they didn't plan on Kung Jin being gay but the way people reacted to that line made them go "Let's do it"

Because there is nothing that indicates he is gay which is weird because you'd think you'll be able to find something in the game that shows he is gay.

Just wait for the next game and you'll see a lot of things that indicate he is gay because they switched from a normal character to now a gay character and that'll show the hell out of that.

oraclePosted: 04/30/2015 06:55 AMStatus ::

Visits::9253

No because they clearly have families Jin is Lao's cousin and they aren't the only Shaolin men in their family. Hell Liu Kang immediately tries to get into those princess panties. They have no problem with women. I think it's more clear in the Kang/Jin pre-fight dialogue.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
ScorpionIsTheBestPosted: 04/30/2015 07:05 AMStatus ::

Visits::1304

sharefrock Wrote:
Zidane_FF Wrote:

That's exactly what I thought when I heard it. I honestly think they didn't plan on Kung Jin being gay but the way people reacted to that line made them go "Let's do it"

Because there is nothing that indicates he is gay which is weird because you'd think you'll be able to find something in the game that shows he is gay.

Just wait for the next game and you'll see a lot of things that indicate he is gay because they switched from a normal character to now a gay character and that'll show the hell out of that.

Seriously? No. Just no. I highly doubt NRS was like "oh people think he's gay because of that line so let's just roll with it!" It was a planned direction for the character. Is it so hard to believe that they intentionally made a gay character?

The whole point of the article is that his sexuality doesn't matter, which it doesn't, and that's how it's represented in the dialogue. They didn't force it on the fan base, they didn't glorify it. They simply just made it normal which is important. They will not play up his homosexuality in future games, and if you think they are then you're sadly mistaken.

I'm proud to finally have a MK character that represents my community, especially since it was done with such finesse and subtlety

-
sharefrockPosted: 04/30/2015 07:47 AMStatus ::

oracle Wrote:
No because they clearly have families Jin is Lao's cousin and they aren't the only Shaolin men in their family. Hell Liu Kang immediately tries to get into those princess panties. They have no problem with women. I think it's more clear in the Kang/Jin pre-fight dialogue.

What did he say in his pre-fight dialogue with Kang?

As for the Liu Kang/Kitana thing well that's easy to explain, Kung Lao is supposed to be a "pacifist" since he is a Shaolin monk, yet he has the most gruesome fatalities in the game.

You and other people should know by now, NRS's writing team are..."Silly".

ScorpionIsTheBest Wrote:

Seriously? No. Just no. I highly doubt NRS was like "oh people think he's gay because of that line so let's just roll with it!" It was a planned direction for the character. Is it so hard to believe that they intentionally made a gay character?

The whole point of the article is that his sexuality doesn't matter, which it doesn't, and that's how it's represented in the dialogue. They didn't force it on the fan base, they didn't glorify it. They simply just made it normal which is important. They will not play up his homosexuality in future games, and if you think they are then you're sadly mistaken.

I'm proud to finally have a MK character that represents my community, especially since it was done with such finesse and subtlety

Wow. Wow. Relax, buddy.

First of all, if he's sexuality didn't matter then why did he need to be gay... It can be one or the other, it can't be both.

If his sexuality truly didn't matter then he wouldn't have been gay but you're somewhat right, it didn't matter in the start because they didn't plan for him to be gay otherwise we would have had some kind of context for it.

It doesn't play anywhere in the story and it's not mentioned in his Concept art where a lot of things are mentioned.

There is NOTHING outside that line with Raiden which can be taken either way, that says he is truly gay.

Shaolins can't be in relationship with females, it's not just males.

MikeyRuPosted: 04/30/2015 08:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::2812

If you didn't notice that they were saying he was gay, that's okay. They did though. It was clear to most of us. We understood the context. It went over your head, but it was there. When someone says that they're afraid they won't be accepted because of who their heart desires -- it's pretty obvious what they're talking about. Talking about being gay so casually is new to a lot of people, and they miss stuff like that. Kinda like how most people didn't have a clue that Liberace was gay.

Bryden88Posted: 04/30/2015 08:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::1619

Great article.

I'm just waiting now for the 'insecure in their sexuality crowd' to come in and accuse SJWs of ruining Mortal Kombat.

KineticPosted: 04/30/2015 08:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::7937

ScorpionIsTheBest Wrote:
They simply just made it normal which is important. They will not play up his homosexuality in future games, and if you think they are then you're sadly mistaken.

That being said, I hope they're not afraid to give him a romantic attachment in the future (not saying they should, but they shouldn't shy away from it). If Liu Kang and Kitana can have a relationship, and Sonya and Johnny Cage can have a daughter, and neither of their relationships is considered "pandering to straight people," then Kung Jin should be able to have a relationship as well. Without the Kommunity jumping down NRS's throats with ignorant comments like "stop pandering! Why do you have to make a big deal about it?"

ScorpionIsTheBestPosted: 04/30/2015 08:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::1304

sharefrock Wrote:
oracle Wrote:

As for the Liu Kang/Kitana thing well that's easy to explain, Kung Lao is supposed to be a "pacifist" since he is a Shaolin monk, yet he has the most gruesome fatalities in the game.

You and other people should know by now, NRS's writing team are..."Silly".

ScorpionIsTheBest Wrote:

Wow. Wow. Relax, buddy.

First of all, if he's sexuality didn't matter then why did he need to be gay... It can be one or the other, it can't be both.

If his sexuality truly didn't matter then he wouldn't have been gay but you're somewhat right, it didn't matter in the start because they didn't plan for him to be gay otherwise we would have had some kind of context for it.

It doesn't play anywhere in the story and it's not mentioned in his Concept art where a lot of things are mentioned.

There is NOTHING outside that line with Raiden which can be taken either way, that says he is truly gay.

Shaolins can't be in relationship with females, it's not just males.

You just sound ignorant. The studio confirmed that yes, that line eludes to the fact that he's gay. Seems like you just can't accept the fact that a MK character was planned to be gay from the start.

You're looking for a reason for him NOT to be gay. That ship has sailed buddy. Also, does it say anywhere in ANY other characters concept art that they like men or women? Absolutely not, so that's an invalid point.

Just accept it dude. Homosexuality has been a part of human makeup since the dawn of man, and it's finally being represented the way it should be. Gay character or no gay character, I would love the game regardless, however I'm very happy that they added yet another level of diversity to their cast.

And the way D'Vorah gave Mileena the kiss of death? Definitely a lesbian.

-
oraclePosted: 04/30/2015 09:09 AMStatus ::

Visits::9253

sharefrock Wrote:
Jin says something about Liu never being able to accept him and Kang says he knows of his proclivities.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
sharefrockPosted: 04/30/2015 09:17 AMStatus ::

ScorpionIsTheBest Wrote:

You just sound ignorant. The studio confirmed that yes, that line eludes to the fact that he's gay. Seems like you just can't accept the fact that a MK character was planned to be gay from the start.

You're looking for a reason for him NOT to be gay. That ship has sailed buddy. Also, does it say anywhere in ANY other characters concept art that they like men or women? Absolutely not, so that's an invalid point.

Just accept it dude. Homosexuality has been a part of human makeup since the dawn of man, and it's finally being represented the way it should be. Gay character or no gay character, I would love the game regardless, however I'm very happy that they added yet another level of diversity to their cast.

And the way D'Vorah gave Mileena the kiss of death? Definitely a lesbian.

You seem to be taking it the wrong way, you seem to think that I am going to take Kung Jin away from you. I know he was confirmed but that's not what I was saying, I was wondering if it's something they planned from the start or if it was something they just went along with.

It has happened before so I don't see no reason for it not to happen to MK as well.

You also seem to be under the impression that EVERY character's sexuality needs to be mentioned. That's not what I said or meant, but having a gay character in MKX is new, I'd imagine if they were proud of it they would want people to know for sure in the game and not on twitter, right?

So either they are not proud of it which I doubt, or they weren't planning on him being gay which is why there is NOTHING in the game to indicate he is truly gay outside that line from Raiden that can be taken either way.

He is confirmed to be gay and I'm not upset, I think it's good that we have a gay character just so people would stop asking for it.

All I was saying is, I'm wondering if it was planned or not and certainly it seems like it wasn't.

Blade4693Posted: 04/30/2015 09:47 AMStatus ::

Visits::3252

Ice Man being gay has been a theory for years I believe, even Family Guy had a little cut away about him being gay back in like 2006.

Anyway I like the way NRS handled it, it felt real and didn't feel like some little gimmick to get attention which is cool.

KineticPosted: 04/30/2015 09:50 AMStatus ::

sharefrock Wrote:
You seem to be taking it the wrong way, you seem to think that I am going to take Kung Jin away from you. I know he was confirmed but that's not what I was saying, I was wondering if it's something they planned from the start or if it was something they just went along with.

It has happened before so I don't see no reason for it not to happen to MK as well.

You also seem to be under the impression that EVERY character's sexuality needs to be mentioned. That's not what I said or meant, but having a gay character in MKX is new, I'd imagine if they were proud of it they would want people to know for sure in the game and not on twitter, right?

So either they are not proud of it which I doubt, or they weren't planning on him being gay which is why there is NOTHING in the game to indicate he is truly gay outside that line from Raiden that can be taken either way.

He is confirmed to be gay and I'm not upset, I think it's good that we have a gay character just so people would stop asking for it.

All I was saying is, I'm wondering if it was planned or not and certainly it seems like it wasn't.

You're presenting a false dichotomy. It's not either NRS didn't plan his sexuality or they would've bragged about it. Maybe they're just more evolved than you and don't see a point in making it a deal bigger than it needs to be. When MK2 came out did NRS brag about how Jax was their first black character? When MK3 cam out, were they proud that Nightwolf was Native American. Couldn't they just have decided, somewhere in the production and/or writing process that Kung Jin felt like a character who may be gay, and wrote him as if he were without making a big deal of it? Or does that not fit with your preconceived narrative that everyone has to be straight, and, if you don't make a big deal out of it, then it was accidental. You basically saying that NRS is pandering because a few fans liked that he was gay; but I guarantee you, if they had emphasized Kung Jin's sexual orientation in-game, you would've accused them of pandering anyway. What does NRS need to do in order to introduce a gay character without simultaneously "pandering"?

I apologize for typos. I'm on my iPhone.

sharefrockPosted: 04/30/2015 10:01 AMStatus ::

Kinetic Wrote:

You're presenting a false dichotomy. It's not either NRS didn't plan his sexuality or they would've bragged about it. Maybe they're just more evolved than you and don't see a point in making it a deal bigger than it needs to be. When MK2 came out did NRS brag about how Jax was their first black character? When MK3 cam out, were they proud that Nightwolf was Native American. Couldn't they just have decided, somewhere in the production and/or writing process that Kung Jin felt like a character who may be gay, and wrote him as if he were without making a big deal of it? Or does that not fit with your preconceived narrative that everyone has to be straight, and, if you don't make a big deal out of it, then it was accidental. You basically saying that NRS is pandering because a few fans liked that he was gay; but I guarantee you, if they had emphasized Kung Jin's sexual orientation in-game, you would've accused them of pandering anyway. What does NRS need to do in order to introduce a gay character without simultaneously "pandering"?

I apologize for typos. I'm on my iPhone.

The examples you made are completely different.

First, I didn't say they should brag... I said wouldn't they have made it clear? It wasn't made clear that he is gay up until he was confirmed on twitter.

Jax looks Black so we all knew he was black, Nightwolf looks like a Native American so we knew he was a Native American.

Kung Jin doesn't look/act gay what so ever. Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing in the game shows that he is truly gay other than that line with Raiden, which again, can be taken either way.

So I wonder why they didn't bother making it clear in the game, not BRAGGING, making it CLEAR. We only truly knew he was gay because he was CONFIRMED on twitter.

A lot of people still thought he wasn't but when you look back at MK2, everybody knew Jax was Black, everybody knew Nightwolf was Native American.

I never said they should brag, I said they should have made it clear... Unless they didn't truly plan on him being gay.

Blade4693Posted: 04/30/2015 10:09 AMStatus ::

Visits::3252

The only problem is if they made it "clear" people would say they forced it down everyone's throats and put a sign on his back that said "Hey look at me!!! I'm gay!!!" and people would have complained and/or bitched about that, saying it was a gimmick for attention and pandering.

KineticPosted: 04/30/2015 10:11 AMStatus ::

sharefrock Wrote:

The examples you made are completely different.

First, I didn't say they should brag... I said wouldn't they have made it clear? It wasn't made clear that he is gay up until he was confirmed on twitter.

Jax looks Black so we all knew he was black, Nightwolf looks like a Native American so we knew he was a Native American.

Kung Jin doesn't look/act gay what so ever. Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing in the game shows that he is truly gay other than that line with Raiden, which again, can be taken either way.

So I wonder why they didn't bother making it clear in the game, not BRAGGING, making it CLEAR. We only truly knew he was gay because he was CONFIRMED on twitter.

A lot of people still thought he wasn't but when you look back at MK2, everybody knew Jax was Black, everybody knew Nightwolf was Native American.

I never said they should brag, I said they should have made it clear... Unless they didn't truly plan on him being gay.

What do you want him to do? Comment on the fashionability of Takeda's shoes? Lisp? He did NOTHING unrealistic for a gay person. NRS doesn't need to make it clear.

Also, if they DID make it clear (like having him say "I'm gay!") you'd bet half of the people in the MKommunity would be accusing them of "pandering to Tumblr" (or something else equally as ignorant). You are accusing them of making it up after the fact because they didn't do that.

So, answer me this. What EXACTLY should NRS have done to stop people like you from accusing them of pandering, while keeping the bigots on the forums from accusing them of pandering for making it too obvious.

If they're too obvious they're "trying to hard to appeal" and they're "alienating fans." But, if they don't try hard enough, they're "faking it" and "made it up to appeal to the gays." Any middle ground (if there even is one) is such a thin line that it's unfair to make NRS walk it.

sharefrockPosted: 04/30/2015 10:14 AMStatus ::

Blade4693 Wrote:
The only problem is if they made it "clear" people would say they forced it down everyone's throats and put a sign on his back that said "Hey look at me!!! I'm gay!!!" and people would have complained and/or bitched about that, saying it was a gimmick for attention and pandering.

I'm not saying Stereotype him. I'm only saying make it a bit clear, what Raiden said wasn't "Subtle" but that's what they are saying now. They are saying "Oh I'm glad we have observant fans" I'm paraphrasing. They are saying it like they are smart enough to do such a thing, we all played the story and we know they are no where near smart enough to add Subtle things.

They could have made it clear while at the same time not harp on about it. They could have added it in his concept art and not in the actual game, then nobody will be able to say "it was a gimmick for attention and pandering."

EDIT: @Kinetic You made the same point as my friend Blade, so this post is also a reply for you.

SaurienDeityPosted: 04/30/2015 10:22 AMStatus ::

Visits::1955

sharefrock Wrote:
Blade4693 Wrote:

I'm not saying Stereotype him. I'm only saying make it a bit clear, what Raiden said wasn't "Subtle" but that's what they are saying now. They are saying "Oh I'm glad we have observant fans" I'm paraphrasing. They are saying it like they are smart enough to do such a thing, we all played the story and we know they are no where near smart enough to add Subtle things.

They could have made it clear while at the same time not harp on about it. They could have added it in his concept art and not in the actual game, then nobody will be able to say "it was a gimmick for attention and pandering."

EDIT: @Kinetic You made the same point as my friend Blade, so this post is also a reply for you.

That line WAS clear, but not in your face, I.E. subtle. NRS SHOULD be proud their fans are observant since people like you clearly aren't, Sharefrock

As though that line wasn't enough, they included it in his intro dialogue with Liu Kang as well:

https://youtu.be/xuWzVrCYliE?t=5m4s

Still wanna keep denying that it was the intentional direction for his character?

sharefrockPosted: 04/30/2015 10:27 AMStatus ::

SaurienDeity Wrote:
sharefrock Wrote:
Blade4693 Wrote:

That line WAS clear, but not in your face, I.E. subtle. NRS SHOULD be proud their fans are observant since people like you clearly aren't, Sharefrock

As though that line wasn't enough, they included it in his intro dialogue with Liu Kang as well:

https://youtu.be/xuWzVrCYliE?t=5m4s

Still wanna keep denying that it was the intentional direction for his character?

Let me give you the definition of proclivity, a tendency to choose or do something regularly or a strong inherent inclination toward something objectionable.

Kung Jin was a thief, you think that is pleasing for Liu Kang?

The Raiden line can be taken either way, Shaolin monks don't accept relationship, straight or gay.

So that Raiden line could have meant either one of them and you can't tell me for sure it's one or the other at that time, now you can say it is because they confirmed it AFTER the fact.

KineticPosted: 04/30/2015 10:28 AMStatus ::

sharefrock Wrote:

Why would they put it in their concept art? If his sexuality wasn't a big deal to them, they likely wouldn't have written it down in any released concept art. Just because they didn't mention it prior to fans noticing doesn't mean they made it up after the fact. Given, NRS is not very subtle, but I find it even more unlikely that line with Raiden (combined with his Liu Kang intro) were included as a subtle reference to a woman. It's very clear to me (especially, again, with Liu Kang's line) that he is probably gay. NRS is under no obligation to spell it out. Why do you find it so unlikely that they could've just decided he was gay. Maybe they decided after the concept art was made, but before the script was written; or maybe just not included in the concept art because, y'know, the fact that he's gay has NOTHING to do with costume design. Why do you insist that they're faking it?

sharefrockPosted: 04/30/2015 10:31 AMStatus ::

Kinetic Wrote:

Why would they put it in their concept art? If his sexuality wasn't a big deal to them, they likely wouldn't have written it down in any released concept art. Just because they didn't mention it prior to fans noticing doesn't mean they made it up after the fact. Given, NRS is not very subtle, but I find it even more unlikely that line with Raiden (combined with his Liu Kang intro) were included as a subtle reference to a woman. It's very clear to me (especially, again, with Liu Kang's line) that he is probably gay. NRS is under no obligation to spell it out. Why do you find it so unlikely that they could've just decided he was gay. Maybe they decided after the concept art was made, but before the script was written; or maybe just not included in the concept art because, y'know, the fact that he's gay has NOTHING to do with costume design. Why do you insist that they're faking it?

I'm not saying they are faking it 100% for SURE!. I'm just wondering about the possibility that they saw the reaction and went along with it.

You asked me why is it so hard for me to accept that they planned it from the start, I could ask you the same thing, why is it so hard for you to consider that they didn't plan it from the start?

Also I already said above why the Liu Kang line proves nothing.

EDIT: In response to your question about the concept art. I'm used to reading the little info they give In concept arts and they don't just talk the design, they talk about the idea of the character, you'd think with such a different character and a new one to the MKU they'd mention it there, but nope. nothing.

Page of 4

© 1998-2016 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.